Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 214 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things I love about Disney is that each resort/park really has it's own identity (Grand Floridian, The Polynesian, The Boardwalk, etc.). When I was there Labor Day weekend I couldn't believe how close Aventura was to Sapphire Falls, Cabana Bay and Volcano Bay. I really feel like they tried to do too much with too little space. To further prove my point is the fact that Aventura has to go vertical because there's literally no space for it. I wish they would've spaced everything out a little more with all the land they have across I-4 where Wet n Wild was in addition to all the land for the next park.

One of the things I love about Disney is that each resort/park really has it's own identity (Grand Floridian, The Polynesian, The Boardwalk, etc.). When I was there Labor Day weekend I couldn't believe how close Aventura was to Sapphire Falls, Cabana Bay and Volcano Bay. I really feel like they tried to do too much with too little space. To further prove my point is the fact that Aventura has to go vertical because there's literally no space for it. I wish they would've spaced everything out a little more with all the land they have across I-4 where Wet n Wild was in addition to all the land for the next park.

Wet N Wild is becoming resorts.

5 years would be one of the slowest theme park construction timelines in recent history. There's no reason it should take more than 3.
With all of the theme park construction, there must be a shortage of construction people + suppliers. Or getting really close to one. I question if Universal could get the manpower together to build a full theme park in 3 years.

It really comes down to pros and cons.

Sure, the Disney resorts are great and each one is unique and spaced out and Universal is starting to feel a little condensed and city like.

On the flip side, transportation within Disney is a bit of a nightmare and I love that I can walk to the parks inside Universal within 10mins.

Personally, I can see it both ways but as a tourist, I’m going to be in my room as little as possible and spending the majority of my time enjoying the parks, shopping, eating and drinking.

It really comes down to pros and cons.

Sure, the Disney resorts are great and each one is unique and spaced out and Universal is starting to feel a little condensed and city like.

On the flip side, transportation within Disney is a bit of a nightmare and I love that I can walk to the parks inside Universal within 10mins.

Personally, I can see it both ways but as a tourist, I’m going to be in my room as little as possible and spending the majority of my time enjoying the parks, shopping, eating and drinking.
If it has a pool and a bar, ok maybe just a bar and I'm good.

With all of the theme park construction, there must be a shortage of construction people + suppliers. Or getting really close to one. I question if Universal could get the manpower together to build a full theme park in 3 years.
Universal has had above average timelines recently, it's hard to believe they would now shift gears and build something slower than average.

I’ve spent time at Cabana Bay and Sapphire for Universal then both Port Orleans, Coronado Springs, and AKL for Disney and outside of AKL having the safari onsite I enjoy my time at Universal resorts more. Far better transportation and rooms are better designed and more up to date due to recent builds.

To add to this slightly, I’ve never stayed at Disney World before but I will be next year but I have stayed a short walk from DL and I prefer DL to WDW. After my last trip, I’m starting to think that the two park resort really is the sweet spot.

Universal has had above average timelines recently, it's hard to believe they would now shift gears and build something slower than average.

They were building one hotel, a couple rides, and whatever you consider Volcano Bat at the time. They weren't building multiple hotels, a Citiwalk, Multiple immersive lands and an what we hope to be an entire game changing theme park at the same time. Disney also wasn't doing much besides Avatar recently, but now will have multiple major rides and lands sucking up skilled labor at the same time. It's not about shifting gears, it's about what all practically can be done at the same time.

They were building one hotel, a couple rides, and whatever you consider Volcano Bat at the time. They weren't building multiple hotels, a Citiwalk, Multiple immersive lands and an what we hope to be an entire game changing theme park at the same time. Disney also wasn't doing much besides Avatar recently, but now will have multiple major rides and lands sucking up skilled labor at the same time. It's not about shifting gears, it's about what all practically can be done at the same time.
I don’t buy it. Yes it’s a lot at once but them parks aren’t the only thing that uses construction resources. An uptick in theme park construction doesn’t mean the resources are necessarily limited. If there’s a market people will fill those spots. I would also think it would increase costs to stretch a construction project out a few years longer than necessary.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I don’t buy it. Yes it’s a lot at once but them parks aren’t the only thing that uses construction resources. An uptick in theme park construction doesn’t mean the resources are necessarily limited. If there’s a market people will fill those spots. I would also think it would increase costs to stretch a construction project out a few years longer than necessary.

How many house, commercial building, concrete guys are experienced in theme park construction including rock work and thematic elements? Is there another Nassal out there just waiting for Uni to call? Theres a huge difference between labor and experienced labor.

this

How many house, commercial building, concrete guys are experienced in theme park construction including rock work and thematic elements? Is there another Nassal out there just waiting for Uni to call? Theres a huge difference between labor and experienced labor.
I’m pretty sure if Universal calls up Nassal and offers too much work they don’t say “sorry we don’t have enough people”. No, they go out and hire what they need for the job.

I’m pretty sure if Universal calls up Nassal and offers too much work they don’t say “sorry we don’t have enough people”. No, they go out and hire what they need for the job.

Yes. Like we heard about VB, minors were hired to finish the park. When you go out and just hire people to fill holes, you don't get experienced labor. Just plugging bodies into holes leads to delays, poor workmanship, and dangerous situations. I promise you Nassal and Uni know this and will adjust timelines to account for it. They will not just rush this to match some timeline created on a message board.

Yes. Like we heard about VB, minors were hired to finish the park. When you go out and just hire people to fill holes, you don't get experienced labor. Just plugging bodies into holes leads to delays, poor workmanship, and dangerous situations. I promise you Nassal and Uni know this and will adjust timelines to account for it. They will not just rush this to match some timeline created on a message board.
I didn’t create a timeline on a message board, whoever said 5 years did. I looked at past projects and they are all around 3 years. Do you know of any past precedent of a theme park construction project taking 5 years?

I didn’t create a timeline on a message board, whoever said 5 years did. I looked at past projects and they are all around 3 years. Do you know of any past precedent of a theme park construction project taking 5 years?

Depends on what you consider the construction time period consisting of. If you consider the planning and design, 5 years is probably short. Since they aren't probably putting shovels in the ground until late next year at the earliest, and considering this isn't just a park, it's resorts, a citiwalk, parking and more, a 2022 opening isn't unreasonable. Hell that might be ambitious. Is there even a precedent for what all they have to do down there?

What? Where was this reported? Dozens and dozens of minors or just 2? I'm sorry, but this sounds like a tall tale.

I believe it was in the VB construction thread. Someone was enquiring about how to file a complaint I believe. I don't recall the details, but it didn't come off as made up info.

Depends on what you consider the construction time period consisting of. If you consider the planning and design, 5 years is probably short. Since they aren't probably putting shovels in the ground until late next year at the earliest, and considering this isn't just a park, it's resorts, a citiwalk, parking and more, a 2022 opening isn't unreasonable. Hell that might be ambitious. Is there even a precedent for what all they have to do down there?
I would assume the planning and design started some time ago. IOA, CityWalk and the hotels expansion took roughly 2-3 years. Comcast is a bigger company with more resources. I'm not saying I know what their timeline is going to be, but I don't have reason to believe it would take significantly longer than the average timelines for similar projects especially given Universals recent aggressive timelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.