Universal Great Britain | Page 81 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Thinking about the no cloned rides rule. Universal loves to clone their rides, every SNW has Mario Kart, every Wizarding World has Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. This is why I don't see them building anything from those IPs in USGB.

Does this work both ways?

If Nintendo comes to USGB with a different set of rides, would these be allowed to come to Orlando? Would Lord of the Rings be allowed to come to Orlando?

Thinking about the no cloned rides rule. Universal loves to clone their rides, every SNW has Mario Kart, every Wizarding World has Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. This is why I don't see them building anything from those IPs in USGB.

Does this work both ways?

If Nintendo comes to USGB with a different set of rides, would these be allowed to come to Orlando? Would Lord of the Rings be allowed to come to Orlando?
These ip universes are so big they could make different rides. Sure they would want a Hogwarts Castle for each park. Even with the same ride system they could tell a wildly different story. There are so many things that (could) happen at Hogwarts. In the future those stories could (easily) be refitted and swapped out to other parks if needed.
And to correct an old mistake they could add the dining hall in the attraction building.

Just in Orlando you'll have three different Wizarding World lands, each with entirely different rides, different entertainment options, different eateries, etc. It's not beyond the wit of Universal Creative to develop something unique for Universal Great Britain (if they can get the rights).

Wait till y'all get a clone of the Waterwold show like Beijing (and every other Universal park has except Orlando,) based on not just a 30-year old film, but a flop! Not even beloved or classic or stand the test of time! Sometimes a good attraction is just a good attraction.

I really like the WaterWorld show, its brilliant. Saw it in California years ago and actually love the film. However I don't think we'd get that attraction in the UK. It's too cold for performers to go in the water most of the year, and the equipment would be icy and slippery in the winter, not very safe? I took my family to Legoland Windsor this weekend and their Pirate Bay stunt show was not on - only starts late May because of the weather. More likely to get a car stunt show along the lines of Lights, Motors, Action that closed a few years ago at Disneyland Paris with James Bond as IP.

Reactions: yepthatguy
Thinking about it, Universal could base the whole park on British IPs.

So there’s the obvious LotR and James Bond show, plus a few people have mentioned Dr Who.

How to train your Dragon is another British book.

Then there’s the classics which are out of (or soon to be) copyright. Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland etc.

You could also add in the more fairytale type stories. I’m thinking Kind Arther and Camelot, Robin Hood etc.

And then there’s other IPs like Peppa Pig, Thomas the Tank Engine. Beatrix Potter stories like Benjamin Bunny and Peter Rabbit.

I know some already exist in other places but there really is a lot they could work with.

Another pleasant day again temperature wise here.

It is raining though.

However, there is no wind, so it’s time for a nice walk.

:)

… or perhaps Gringots style coaster track.
I’d like something a bit more kinetic than a boat ride, so perhaps something like the Intamin coaster of Gringotts or a trackless Scoop-style vehicle in a Mines of Moria story. Playing up the ‘mines’ aspect of the story, the ride vehicle is dressed as a dwarvish mining cart. Get as many of the original cast in to voice/film their parts, and have a whacking great big animatronic Balrog as the finale.

Please.

I’d like something a bit more kinetic than a boat ride, so perhaps something like the Intamin coaster of Gringotts or a trackless Scoop-style vehicle in a Mines of Moria story. Playing up the ‘mines’ aspect of the story, the ride vehicle is dressed as a dwarvish mining cart. Get as many of the original cast in to voice/film their parts, and have a whacking great big animatronic Balrog as the finale.

Please.
I'd love that. Would prefer not another scoop since that's likely what JW will be. All in for a giant animatronic Balrog!

Reactions: Steeb
Just got back from a lovely walk down near the site. It’s a really calm day, and the nature round there is quite lovely.

I walked down the main track to the right of the southern parcel until it stopped then round to near manor road. Thought I’d take a look myself. I noticed that the southern parcel that touches manor road is actual on an ever so subtle hill. Not sure on the actual gradient.

On the way back there were 2 what looked like Kawasaki mules storming across the fields which then drove round to where I was walking and parked up.

They all got out just as we were passing them and had Universal logo hard hats on. I apologised if we were in the way and they just smiled - one of the chaps in a broad American accent just said “ah you’re okay, it’s no problem at all”.

As I walked off I think I heard someone say “there’s water here..” as they were looking at a ground drain on the track.

It was great fun!!

Just got back from a lovely walk down near the site. It’s a really calm day, and the nature round there is quite lovely.

I walked down the main track to the right of the southern parcel until it stopped then round to near manor road. Thought I’d take a look myself. I noticed that the southern parcel that touches manor road is actual on an ever so subtle hill. Not sure on the actual gradient.

On the way back there were 2 what looked like Kawasaki mules storming across the fields which then drove round to where I was walking and parked up.

They all got out just as we were passing them and had Universal logo hard hats on. I apologised if we were in the way and they just smiled - one of the chaps in a broad American accent just said “ah you’re okay, it’s no problem at all”.

As I walked off I think I heard someone say “there’s water here..” as they were looking at a ground drain on the track.

It was great fun!!
It's a Bank Holiday and Universal are still working, loving that. Seems they aren't sitting around doing nothing while they/we wait for the greenlight decision.

@ProjectUniversalUK I'm expecting a gloriously long video the next time you take out your trusty drone :p, there's things happening... THINGS!

Just had a thought about a LOTR ride option...

Flying theatre/Flight of passage style ride recounting the scene in Return of the King where the eagles rescue Frodo and Sam on Mount Doom?

Reactions: Jamesh22
It’s just funny. One (very popular and current) IP isn’t worth the money to some people because of multiple reasons. Yet this IP is worth the money even though it’s not current, the rights are supposedly based on the films which are 30 years old come 2030 and the author was extremely religious and very conservative.

Probably far more conservative than the other person we were discussing.

I don’t know how that circle can be squared personally but I’m sure some people will try. It just seems hypocritical. He wasn’t a pleasant man.

I’m sure universal will do a great job and I personally like LOTR, I’m old enough to have gone to watch it when it first came out but it’s not ‘current’.

I read this whole argument and this is coming from someone who cannot stand the LOTR movies. I watched the first movie in the theater and about 45 minutes in wished I was anywhere but in that theater.

I don't think the majority of people used JK as problematic as the actual reason, the actual reason is they can't get the rights in UK. I don't think any amount of money gets them that because WB has the studio tour. In all your arguments you ignored that fact and kept on the same one comparing the IPs. I don't even think in Universals mind it was one or the other, I am sure they would actually want both. But one is just not possible. We don't even know if LOTR is coming, it is all guesses at this point.

Reactions: Altonsky
So, what do we think they're doing? Checking the site for the location of utilities etc etc? Or perhaps even just getting a real view of the actual places where parts of the Park will be so they can make little tweaks and adjustment on their plans?