Universal Great Britain | Page 64 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
US people probably can’t listen to this but the most interesting comment is around the weather.

Page talks about how the weather in the UK is actually good for a resort, as we do don’t have the extremes of heat or cold that you can find at the other resorts.

‘Same amount of rainfall here than in Osaka and Orlando

‘We’ll be prepared with coverings so people are protected from the rain’

‘A lot of indoor rides so people are protected from the elements,

Andy Collins - Why Universal could come to Bedfordshire - Why Universal could come to Bedfordshire - BBC Sounds

I never understood why people keep going on about the weather. I grew up in that area (North Herts) and it's never been particularly bad weatherwise, except for the odd year where we got a good covering of snow which was about once every 5 years and once every 10-12 years during the 90's and early 00's.

As for rainfall, last year and this year have been extreme for rain over here and Orlando has multiple months of over double the rainfall that Bedford's worst average month got during that period. Like it's not even a comparison, Orlando's rainfall is genuinely much much worse than Bedford. But sure we get our overcast days and drizzle but it's hardly something a Theme Park operator would be bothered by.

Oh sure it gets chilly for over half the year, but I'm sure people will manage, a good coat and some gloves and hey you'll be fine.

Are we anticipating this being an all-year-round park?

I haven't fact-checked myself on this, but I suspect the difference might be 'number of rain days' rather than net rainfall; I reckon that part of UK get more 'drizzly' days rather than fewer torrential days. (I'm from that area, but currently in Australia, and it's a similar story - here we get fewer rain-days but those days we get rain tend to be on a level rarely seen in the UK)

Here's the rainfall comparisons between Orlando and Bedford. Raindays Orlando is around the same as Bedford outside of the Summer months where it doubles.

1713400841203.png1713400859269.png1713400744731.png

Reactions: extrobeiuf
nice - barely remember any rain the few times I've been to Florida (aside from being caught in a hurricane one year ... that was _a lot_ of rain!). My confirmation bias kicking in for sure.

--

And hurrah for all-year-round operations ... will be the only year-round park (I think), although AT do seem to be trying to increase the number and scope of close-season events.

Reactions: xtpower
nice - barely remember any rain the few times I've been to Florida (aside from being caught in a hurricane one year ... that was _a lot_ of rain!). My confirmation bias kicking in for sure.

--

And hurrah for all-year-round operations ... will be the only year-round park (I think), although AT do seem to be trying to increase the number and scope of close-season events.

Being open during the closed season for the other Parks will be a big coup for Universal. There will literally be no other Park cannibalising their visitors. By the time the Merlin parks adjust to the new market forces, Universal will be entrenched and considered the premier Park for the UK market.

... Universal will be entrenched and considered the premier Park for the UK market.
Isn't that pretty much guaranteed from Opening Day?

Families might not want to pay premier prices to visit USGB and some families they might choose a day at a more local theme park, but surely nothing we currently have in the UK will compete on the quality of the experience with what we hope and expect Universal to build in Bedford?

I mentioned the Universal project to my nieces last week, aged 17 and 20. They have been occasional visitors to DLP since they were under 10s, and a couple of years ago our two families visited Orlando for their first visit. They have also, in groups with their teenage friends, been regular visitors to Thorpe Park over the last few years, so they have a pretty good idea of what they like in a theme park. They were beyond excited at the prospect of a Universal park close to home, and I suspect if they had the choice this summer it would be Universal they would choose to visit rather than Thorpe Park, despite Thorpe clearly being targeted at the younger thrill-ride demographic such as my nieces. They might not abandon Thorpe altogether, but perhaps one visit during the summer rather than three or four as seems usual for them, allowing time and money to visit Universal.

I have to say I’ve never once stayed over at a theme park within the UK. There’s never been any need.

This will be the first park where I’ll actually book a room and stay over.

Reactions: xtpower
US people probably can’t listen to this but the most interesting comment is around the weather.

Page talks about how the weather in the UK is actually good for a resort, as we do don’t have the extremes of heat or cold that you can find at the other resorts.

‘We’ll be prepared with coverings so people are protected from the rain’

‘A lot of indoor rides so people are protected from the elements,

Andy Collins - Why Universal could come to Bedfordshire - Why Universal could come to Bedfordshire - BBC Sounds
My take on this is if Disney can build a resort in Paris which pretty much has the same climate. Then there’s no reason it won’t work for Universal here.

Granted there may be the odd weather event that could shut some things. But as mentioned beforehand Orlando parks can sometimes close in the hurricane season. I think with winter months it’s a case of get your coat and umbrella, good to go.

I like the guys videos. I think he summarised the weather topic quite well.

Since this potential park was announced back in December, pretty much every single day the weather has been miserable except maybe max 2 random days, right up until the Universal Consultation when incredibly the sun came out and it was a beautiful day. Its like they brought the weather with them!

From Monday this week it’s been a bit miserable again where you don’t know if you need a thick coat, think jacket, or an umbrella, trainers, or welly boots! Sun comes out you take your jacket off, sun goes in and you’re shivering, every other 5mins. Today has been a bit chilly but wonderful blue sky with a few clouds and pleasant warm-ish sun. But tomorrow? Even the weather has no idea what it wants to do. I’ve seen a few people get soaked this week with random downpours, but unlike Orlando, if you get wet, you’re going home.

It’s not “terrible”, “extreme” or even “dangerous” weather conditions and it doesn’t snow often and doesn’t plummet to freezing temperatures for long… the weather is just annoying! People have said it’s to do with Bedford being quite low lying geographically but I’ve never looked into it.

I personally feel like it’s always windy in this area. Not wind that needs a weather warning, it just manages to be annoying enough to make your garden fence wobble a bit and blow in your face in gusts every few minutes.

But when there is very little to no wind, you absolutely notice it, and you see a lot more people out walking and about locally. Wind is just the worst to me.

it’s been quite an odd feeling to step out the door each day and battle the annoyance of said weather, then reading in these forums about a huge potential universal resort nearby. It’s very surreal.

Nice to see a little more substantiation to the rumours about a June go/no-go decision by Universal. I don't think I could stand the suspense if they took a couple of years to decide whether they would build it, a couple of months is probably bearable!

What I don't think I had seen before is reference to changing the intersection between the A421 and the M1. I've been snarled up there several times (joining M1 southbound) as the stupidly designed junction we currently have seems a real bottleneck. If they get that sorted and the work on the Black Cat junction at the intersection with the A1 is completed it should ease the connection from the A421 (and therefore the great majority of park traffic) to the two principal North-South road arteries. All th good news just keeps stacking up. Another nod to 2030 for a target opening date is also good. I've already blocked out 13 April 2030 in my calendar, just in case...

If I have my way this is going above a British land portal…

IMG_1255.jpeg

I don’t want to be too too negative about the weather, it’ll warm up soon.

Here’s a cloud pouring a rainbow onto the Universal Land the other day. Taken from the roundabout on the A421 side of the site. Kempston Hardwick station seen across the field to the left.

Reactions: Chessy

Video had some interesting details

I am a little surprised they're only building one hotel at Opening considering Beijing opened with two and they expect to bring 8.5 Mil every year, but we're also guaranteed more Hotels after Opening in the Lake Zone, so it's nothing much

CityWalk is interesting to me, with completely unique restaurants, I guess they're not limiting the "Don't be similar to Orlando" mentality to just the Theme Park, but I'm excited to see what they're like ngl, at the very least I hope they're well themed like Toothsome's

I like the guys videos. I think he summarised the weather topic quite well.

Since this potential park was announced back in December, pretty much every single day the weather has been miserable except maybe max 2 random days, right up until the Universal Consultation when incredibly the sun came out and it was a beautiful day. Its like they brought the weather with them!

From Monday this week it’s been a bit miserable again where you don’t know if you need a thick coat, think jacket, or an umbrella, trainers, or welly boots! Sun comes out you take your jacket off, sun goes in and you’re shivering, every other 5mins. Today has been a bit chilly but wonderful blue sky with a few clouds and pleasant warm-ish sun. But tomorrow? Even the weather has no idea what it wants to do. I’ve seen a few people get soaked this week with random downpours, but unlike Orlando, if you get wet, you’re going home.

It’s not “terrible”, “extreme” or even “dangerous” weather conditions and it doesn’t snow often and doesn’t plummet to freezing temperatures for long… the weather is just annoying! People have said it’s to do with Bedford being quite low lying geographically but I’ve never looked into it.

I personally feel like it’s always windy in this area. Not wind that needs a weather warning, it just manages to be annoying enough to make your garden fence wobble a bit and blow in your face in gusts every few minutes.

But when there is very little to no wind, you absolutely notice it, and you see a lot more people out walking and about locally. Wind is just the worst to me.

it’s been quite an odd feeling to step out the door each day and battle the annoyance of said weather, then reading in these forums about a huge potential universal resort nearby. It’s very surreal.
Been a bit windy where I live too, just been a bit unsettled due to the changes in the seasons. Although feels like it’s taking forever atm :lmao:

Video had some interesting details

I am a little surprised they're only building one hotel at Opening considering Beijing opened with two and they expect to bring 8.5 Mil every year, but we're also guaranteed more Hotels after Opening in the Lake Zone, so it's nothing much

CityWalk is interesting to me, with completely unique restaurants, I guess they're not limiting the "Don't be similar to Orlando" mentality to just the Theme Park, but I'm excited to see what they're like ngl, at the very least I hope they're well themed like Toothsome's
Curious to see if Hard Rock would come to City Walk?

Reactions: Elijah Abrams
In this context I believe Universal meant "original" to them, and not local/chain restaurants you can find outside of Universal Resorts...

In other words, I 100% expect to see Toothsome here.