Tropical Americas w/ Encanto & Indiana Jones to replace DinoLand? | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Tropical Americas w/ Encanto & Indiana Jones to replace DinoLand?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
They're going to have to commit to some actual things, with timetables, at the real D23 next year. They can't go three years in a row saying "We might do this vague stuff, doesn't that get you excited?!"

No. No, it does not.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
If a conversion of Dinosaur into a similar to Disneyland's Indiana Jones attraction, I'm all for it. When maintained, IJ is an excellent attraction, with great music and ambiance. Since it's a similar vehicle and ride layout, the cost doesn't need to be a budget buster. I can never have enough high grade dark rides.

They're going to have to commit to some actual things, with timetables, at the real D23 next year. They can't go three years in a row saying "We might do this vague stuff, doesn't that get you excited?!"

No, no it does not.
I do think there actually might be something to the Hulu theory. Once the real expo comes next year, they'll already have settled with Comcast about Hulu and thus at least understand what they need to pay them.

This is a bit of a clown car company right now with a lot going on and very little of it good, especially on the financial end. I think by next D23 it's possible ABC, Freeform, ESPN, etc could not even be with the company. If they have to pay Comcast close to $30B+ for Hulu, I think those are gonna go quick to try to grab some quick cash.

Bringing it back around, I think the parks are just feeling the pinch of all that is going on right now, which is why they are non-committal. They probably also want to be extra careful to not have another situation like the Starcruiser where it was a money pit or other situations where they've committed to a project early only to then back out of the idea. They want to given themselves wiggle room to say "we told you it was a work in progress!" if it doesn't happen instead of it being just another embarassing cancelled project, but somehow this is more embarrassing imo.

I'd hope by next D23 they've scrounged up enough pennies to find a way to fund something.

I've thought about this and it makes me VERY curious... what longevity does Dinosaur have? Are it's vehicles and ride systems in good condition? Would it not be ridiculously expensive to try to retrofit the existing building to the Indy Adventure sets and scenery?

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I've thought about this and it makes me VERY curious... what longevity does Dinosaur have? Are it's vehicles and ride systems in good condition? Would it not be ridiculously expensive to try to retrofit the existing building to the Indy Adventure sets and scenery?

It has its good and bad moments. A few months ago it was in a pretty bad state, recently they've fixed it up a bit more. Not at the best quality, but passable. Preshow projectors need to be replaced though.

You can tell they're trying to do just enough to keep it open for the time-being without committing to major upgrades.

The Asia and Africa lands don't represent their entire continents either. I don't think Disney themselves said "Tropical Americas" so I'm assuming they'd go with a different name if this actually does happen.
They also don't represent more than one area. This is two (Central America and N. South America)

The thing is: there are absolutely ways you can make the Indiana Jones ride relevant to animals. I just don't know that I trust Disney to make that effort.

For example, if you were to tweak the storyline into something built upon the fact that ancient Central and South American cultures placed a high value on certain animals as objects of worship (see: The Inca Trilogy - The Condor, The Puma, and The Serpent | Kuoda Travel and Symbolism, Myth, and Power: The Role of Animals in Maya Life - Yucatan Today), you would then have a foundation that would be perfectly suitable for the park.
Disney goes out of its way to make up convoluted back story. I don’t see that changing for this. Especially a Disney that is using its announcements as a Blue Sky GSAT. They care that people will rip them without a rationale.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Mad Dog
Disney goes out of its way to make up convoluted back story. I don’t see that changing for this. Especially a Disney that is using its announcements as a Blue Sky GSAT. They care that people will rip them without a rationale.

Especially when no backstory is needed. People will ride Encanto and Indy and will figure out the story pretty quick without any foreshadowing whatsoever. When we ride Pirates or HM, we don't need to know much if anything. Big Thunder had some props added to try and drive a story and no one cared. At most, a few well placed videos or audio tracks will inform guests about the plot ("Attention all guests, we have closed Track 5 due to unforeseen circumstances. No one is allowed on Track 5 at this time." Then, your ride vehicle goes on Track 5 by mistake. No major backstory is needed.

And yes, I used Kings Island's Adventure Express as my example.

I doubt that the general public overthinks this stuff like some of the hardcore internet theme park fans do and some Imagineers/Creatives also do. The GP wants attractions to be entertaining and fun, number one. That other stuff is unimportant to most people. In fact, so unimportant that most don't really even notice or pay attention to...................Reminds me of the backstory on Revenge of the Mummy. Hardly anyone pays attention to all that early queue story. But most love the attraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: snayberry and Nico
It's funny after Indy 5 failing you'd want to put more Indy rides at parks

I think I would be very excited for a new Indy ride.....if it was going to be next gen but it will be just the same ride that opened 30 years ago then to me its a waste but Disney seems to not have much money for anything that new or interesting

people still love these movies. kingdom of the crystal skull did nothing to limit the popularity of Temple of the Forbidden Eye. I’m sure it’ll be fine.
I'm sure it will do fine and maybe great mainly because of the limited amount of rides at the park

But at least this summer Indy wait was 60ih mins or less. I'm not going to say people don't love the ride but there are other thing's I could see using the space and just drawing in more people.

The vast majority of guests that visit WDW have never been to Disneyland, and probably never will. IJ has a proven rep as an excellent attraction, as long as it's properly maintained. When it's working right, it's generally been a top 5, or at the very least, a top 10 Disney ride. I'll take my chances with a rebirthed similar version of IJ rather than a new attraction that, odds are, will probably not equal the entertainment value of IJ. Nothing wrong with cloning a great attraction that's at far distanced parks. Plus, if they do a new version, there's a good probability that there will be enhanced technical add ons.

people still love these movies. kingdom of the crystal skull did nothing to limit the popularity of Temple of the Forbidden Eye. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

I agree completely. While admitting that I'm old enough to remember when Raiders first came out, I always relate Indiana Jones to the first three movies and a great ride is still a great ride. So, my guess is that a well-implemented Indy ride would be highly popular. The Indy ride in Disneyland is consistently busy and I would expect the same at AK. With Encanto to provide an added draw, that area would be far more popular than it has been.

If Disney can keep out of their own way, they should be able to implement a beautiful area to surround both rides and have two rides that can really anchor the area.

What I've seen from the Indie ride on video in DL it looks awesome. If they capture the feel of the first 3 movies it would be great, just like if Galaxy Edge was based on the original trilogy. Still the wrong park to place it but whatever. Food options, Pankot Palace and food options like Coiled Wrigglies (Snake Surprise) and Primate Parfait (Chilled Monkey Brains).

Of course this is just a maybe, possibly, someday, we MIGHT consider doing this. This may be a "float the idea and see what the reaction is" thing.

It's just funny how now all they have in the pipeline for Florida is rethemes of existing attractions...

Bizarre announcement strategy…wondering if public reaction to this concept will be used as a bargaining chip during this whole Desantis/Reedy Creek/Lake Nona thing. I mean, I’m guessing most Disney fans don’t need any added motivation to rally against the state but from a more Republican, business-oriented standpoint maybe Disney’s play is, “show them what we’re willing to invest in if we get what we want.”

Regardless, the art looks good. Love the idea of getting away from single-IP lands and South America gives you a lot to work with.

Not sure about Indy—obviously I love the ride but I really like Dinosaur too. The Dinosaur set-up doesn’t allow for the Disneyland queue which would be a loss IMO. I also don’t know that an Indy theme would do anything to boost the ridership/park capacity? I think the problem with that ride has always been it’s tucked away in a corner of a park oversaturated with thrill rides…Indy, being a scary thrill ride in the same spot, shouldn’t have more draw than dinosaurs (at least on paper…right)?

Bizarre announcement strategy…wondering if public reaction to this concept will be used as a bargaining chip during this whole Desantis/Reedy Creek/Lake Nona thing. I mean, I’m guessing most Disney fans don’t need any added motivation to rally against the state but from a more Republican, business-oriented standpoint maybe Disney’s play is, “show them what we’re willing to invest in if we get what we want.”

Regardless, the art looks good. Love the idea of getting away from single-IP lands and South America gives you a lot to work with.

Not sure about Indy—obviously I love the ride but I really like Dinosaur too. The Dinosaur set-up doesn’t allow for the Disneyland queue which would be a loss IMO. I also don’t know that an Indy theme would do anything to boost the ridership/park capacity? I think the problem with that ride has always been it’s tucked away in a corner of a park oversaturated with thrill rides…Indy, being a scary thrill ride in the same spot, shouldn’t have more draw than dinosaurs (at least on paper…right)?
I couldn't believe the announcement strategy either. Coming out and saying "We're thinking about maybe doing something...." doesn't seem like a good idea. Great if we get it all though, but... yea.

I don't think this is political. Looking at the investments Disney is ready to make, it's cheap. It doesn't add rides that need maintenance and cast members to run it. Rides go down (saving money) while being re-skinned and the public will have a new experience. Above that, Test Track is sponsored so it doesn't cost them anything.
Japan is not from the Disney Corp so no costs.
China Zootopia has been started a while back and Disney only owns 30% of that resort.
Paris gets nothing.
Disney has aggressively reducing it's dept, let thousands of workers go, and reduced their movie and tv productions. While doing that they loose money on movies in cinema's and at least the future of the live action movie Show white looks very bad with the attitude of the lead star. Theme parks getting less visitors, subscribers leave Disney+and their stock is down. By now the only profitable part of the company are the cruise ships but they invested heavily in them so return of investment will take years to recoup.
All this, to me, looks like they try to sell of the company to survive.