Thor: Love and Thunder | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Thor: Love and Thunder

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The joke is fun, but like, that's odd in universe right? Like wasn't the snap a big tragedy that people still have major trauma over? Why would it be the basis of an ice cream shop?

Whatever, best not to think about it.
I mean, everyone that got snapped ended up being okay, right? If there was a real-world venue with a tongue-in-cheek Covid reference I think most people would be unfazed by it.

The joke is fun, but like, that's odd in universe right? Like wasn't the snap a big tragedy that people still have major trauma over? Why would it be the basis of an ice cream shop?

Whatever, best not to think about it.
People aren't as offended in the Marvel universe, Stan Lee said that

Obviously you could always dislike whatever movie you want to, MCU or not?

not always true, marvel and Disney in general has some of the most hardcore mega fans. depending where you are online, disliking marvel product gets you shredded lol , specially on more geeky circles.

Reactions: chris.g
not always true, marvel and Disney in general has some of the most hardcore mega fans. depending where you are online, disliking marvel product gets you shredded lol , specially on more geeky circles.
Yep, which was the point of the article that seems to be getting misunderstood.

I'm shocked to learn that if you go somewhere online that unabashedly loves a certain thing and go "Hey, I didn't like this that much" they would tell you to bug off. They're obviously already having a set opinion and that's fine, you're still just as free to dislike it.

Like, this isn't a new thing with the MCU. Some people will always be disposed to enjoying something while not really critiquing its quality. You're not going to change that and honestly, if they're enjoying something and not being anything other than overly loud about it, who cares? Voice your opinion, defend it if you wish but I just feel it's easier to move on at the end of the day and accept things.

I love some "objectively" bad movies but I really could not care less about what other people think if that movie brought me something.

Like, this isn't a new thing with the MCU.
Sure, anywhere you go online you can find someone who disagrees with you. But it didn't use to be like this in prior phases though.

People didn't used to bring out the pitchforks if you said that a mediocre film at best was just that. It used to be that Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 (or for some Iron Man 3) were considered the worst films in the MCU. Age of Ultron was considered the was the worst Avengers movie, and Phase two was the objective "worst" phase. Try to say that Phase four is the worst and you're quickly asking for trouble. I think that problem has a lot to do with there being so many movies that are love or hate in this phase and really being no middle ground for many people, along with the high amount of TV shows that aren't receiving any sort of collective praise (nor are they being critically panned either, though) among fans.

The MCU fandom is turning into the DCEU fandom and for the same reasons the DCEU fandom is so toxic. The quality they are putting out in Phase four has dropped so dramatically from other phases that much of it is mediocre at best like the DCEU has been pretty much it's whole existence. There's now factions of fans within the MCU fandom, much like the DCEU fans who pushed for a Snyder cut and an Ayer cut asking for a Raimi cut of Multiverse of Madness and a Waititi cut of Love and Thunder.

Yes, people used to disagree on somethings, but you can't with a straight face tell me that things aren't getting more and more toxic in the fandom.

Yes, people used to disagree on somethings, but you can't with a straight face tell me that things aren't getting more and more toxic in the fandom.

Wouldn't know, personally. I don't engage with the fandom that much and if I thought something as meaningless as the Internet community of a certain fandom was "toxic", I just wouldn't engage with it at all.

I'm sure there are people who would testify that they hated Iron Man when it came out, voiced that opinion as such and were slandered for hearsay 15 years ago. You also are treading quite the thin line with assertions that the quality of these movies is mediocre at best since, y'know, movies are subjective things. I loved Thor: Love & Thunder. You didn't. Neither of us are right and neither of us has the "correct" opinion so it's fruitless to act like one does.

Reactions: imagin78
Wouldn't know, personally. I don't engage with the fandom that much and if I thought something as meaningless as the Internet community of a certain fandom was "toxic", I just wouldn't engage with it at all.

I'm sure there are people who would testify that they hated Iron Man when it came out, voiced that opinion as such and were slandered for hearsay 15 years ago. You also are treading quite the thin line with assertions that the quality of these movies is mediocre at best since, y'know, movies are subjective things. I loved Thor: Love & Thunder. You didn't. Neither of us are right and neither of us has the "correct" opinion so it's fruitless to act like one does.

all fandoms have hardcore fans, music, tv, games, celebrities etc, but with the MCU and disney in general, some people have even noticed that it's becoming almost like a religion lol. you can even get banned from some places for criticizing the MCU

Y'all cray cray. I watched this last night and liked it a lot. Maybe it's because I kept hearing how bad it was and became worried that it'd be uninteresting like Eternals or Black Widow, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, not as good as Ragnarok, but still the second-best film of Phase 4 IMO.

The one aspect that didn't quite work for me, I hate to say, was Bale's performance. He was good when doing the dramatic scenes, but whenever he tried being humorous or cracking jokes, he started slipping into his Jim Carrey-esque Patrick Bateman in a distracting manner.

Y'all cray cray. I watched this last night and liked it a lot. Maybe it's because I kept hearing how bad it was and became worried that it'd be uninteresting like Eternals or Black Widow, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, not as good as Ragnarok, but still the second-best film of Phase 4 IMO.

The one aspect that didn't quite work for me, I hate to say, was Bale's performance. He was good when doing the dramatic scenes, but whenever he tried being humorous or cracking jokes, he started slipping into his Jim Carrey-esque Patrick Bateman in a distracting manner.
See, Phase four is crazy for me. Honestly, every day that I wake up, the middle of my rankings are probably going to be different. NWH is always going to be #1 and Thor 4 is always going to be last. There could be days I put Eternals or Black Widow at #2. I like those a decent amount and I know many others don't so i'm not going to say that me not liking Thor 4 makes me right and anyone who does like it is wrong.

Phase 4 was just weird and at least imo, NWH and Shang-Chi are the only true really good movies that are worth going back and re-watching many times. Based on the Wakanda Forever trailer, my expectations are sky high for that and I think that has the chance of being my favorite film from the phase and a great way to end a pretty mediocre phase.

So this film is going to definitely pass the domestic total of Thor: Ragnarok soon-ish ($315M) and according to Variety, it's on pace to match or exceed Ragnarok's Worldwide total when you remove the box office totals from China and Russia. I'm sure that Marvel would prefer the movie perform more like Multiverse of Madness and outperform the prior film in the franchise despite not playing in many countries due to various reasons, but i'm sure Marvel (and Disney) will still walk away happy with this film's performance when all is said and done. The high second weekend drops though are really something i'm sure they want to bring down.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
So this film is going to definitely pass the domestic total of Thor: Ragnarok soon-ish ($315M) and according to Variety, it's on pace to match or exceed Ragnarok's Worldwide total when you remove the box office totals from China and Russia. I'm sure that Marvel would prefer the movie perform more like Multiverse of Madness and outperform the prior film in the franchise despite not playing in many countries due to various reasons, but i'm sure Marvel (and Disney) will still walk away happy with this film's performance when all is said and done. The high second weekend drops though are really something i'm sure they want to bring down.
They need to make a clear outline of when Disney plus films are on the platform and make sure SW and Marvel films are the longest from coming on it...but even then unless its a big time difference maybe people will still just wait. I think BP 2 will do well but as good as the first film, same with the Marvels.

I just think we have hit peak Marvel in terms of money, like you can't make more unless its an event film or maybe the next Spiderman can do it without an event but going to be hard for most the current roster of hero's to make more.

They need to make a clear outline of when Disney plus films are on the platform and make sure SW and Marvel films are the longest from coming on it...but even then unless its a big time difference maybe people will still just wait. I think BP 2 will do well but as good as the first film, same with the Marvels.

I just think we have hit peak Marvel in terms of money, like you can't make more unless its an event film or maybe the next Spiderman can do it without an event but going to be hard for most the current roster of hero's to make more.
The numbers aren't going to be as big when you have entire countries where they used to get large sums of money and they can no longer count on that. The thing is, the money that Marvel actually took in from Chinese box office was only around 25% of the total box office number so while it the numbers that include China may look hefty, they only keep a small amount of that total.

I think Wakanda Forever is going to be the second biggest film of Phase Four and will be a billion dollar earner fairly easily. Endgame might be the peak Marvel ever hits, but at the time that movie passed Avatar to be the #1 grossing movie worldwide of all time, so it' hard to top that "peak" anyway. The MCU will always be a huge draw and I think betting against it is just something I wouldn't do.
Historically, the Thor films have been $600-$800M earners worldwide, so this film falls right in line with that.

The numbers aren't going to be as big when you have entire countries where they used to get large sums of money and they can no longer count on that. The thing is, the money that Marvel actually took in from Chinese box office was only around 25% of the total box office number so while it the numbers that include China may look hefty, they only keep a small amount of that total.

I think Wakanda Forever is going to be the second biggest film of Phase Four and will be a billion dollar earner fairly easily. Endgame might be the peak Marvel ever hits, but at the time that movie passed Avatar to be the #1 grossing movie worldwide of all time, so it' hard to top that "peak" anyway. The MCU will always be a huge draw and I think betting against it is just something I wouldn't do.
Historically, the Thor films have been $600-$800M earners worldwide, so this film falls right in line with that.
Sure but is that what Disney wants?
Is Disney ok with films making the same as the film before it? If so then cool but i assumed they wanted each film to make a little more then the last int he series or at least more then the last MCU film by even a few thousand

Sure but is that what Disney wants?
Is Disney ok with films making the same as the film before it? If so then cool but i assumed they wanted each film to make a little more then the last int he series or at least more then the last MCU film by even a few thousand
Of course they want them to make more money, but given this movie had a very mixed response, it's honestly lucky to have made as much as it has.

To me, Phase Four was a transition phase and if you think a Fantastic Four movie gets made and is actually well received, something like that will be huge. Hell, I think Ant-Man 3 is going to be a massive film and the other Ant-Man films have been kind of lackluster box office wise.

Reactions: Jerroddragon