The State of Epcot | Page 60 | Inside Universal Forums

The State of Epcot

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? Remy as in the restaurant on DCL? This would have no impact.

No impact probably but I'd find it a little odd (Probably the wrong choice of word) to have a similar restaurant that close to each other. Obviously one is on a cruise liner that moves around but it does dock in Florida.

Either way, it doesn't matter. I had interest in going on the ship but zero interest in DLP.

As for Ratatouille, it doesn't seem to get a lot love but I enjoyed and it felt fresh for Disney which I think will suit the park well.

I may be just spitballing, but what will be the overall capacity for the size of TSL, and what will be the capacities at max for all of the new rides?

I am curious, as I have a feeling that they may try to get the new SoA facades up and that they can have enough footspace, along with diverting people to something new; to just wait till TSL opens up.

If it is closing, we'll see that at the D23 panel; but I am curious if they are just delaying the closing process to make sure there is enough capacity for the holiday season.
I agree that it could just be delayed for capacity. Possibly likely even.

As far as TSL capacity, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree only does 600 per hour and is also dual-sided, so expect Alien Swirling Saucers to do the same.

As far as Slinky Dog Dash is concerned, according to the concept art, the trains will seat 18 per train (9 rows). Also going on the concept art, it looks like 1 train out at a time and 1 train pulling back in for unload/load. I'm going to be kind and say the ride is somewhere around 1:30. So at a 1 minute dispatch (completely guessing), it will have what, a Theoretical hourly capacity of roughly 650 riders per hour? I'm using some guesstimating, but I feel like most of my numbers are pretty on track and I believe I did my math right so if that's the capacity then... ouch. TSMM is technically part of the land though and has an 1800-ish capacity. So the land altogether is right around 3,000 on my numbers.

Most seem to think this is a done deal and have been saying so for a while, and as much as I hate seeing more IP being pushed into Epcot even I have to admit it seems a good fit.

So I have to ask, What do you know, or think, that makes you doubt it @Joe ?

Burnt so many times on projects, rumored and announced. Remember DHS's $3 BILLION UPGRADE with IJA, GMR replacement, Carsland, etc?

Though it's good that Disney doesn't announce things and then not build them anymore (hi Disney Decade).

Reactions: Ryan and SeventyOne
Burnt so many times on projects, rumored and announced. Remember DHS's $3 BILLION UPGRADE with IJA, GMR replacement, Carsland, etc?

Though it's good that Disney doesn't announce things and then not build them anymore (hi Disney Decade).
What you are referencing is very early plans... before the Board of Directors completely changed how WDI approached the project by knocking their ego down a peg and rejecting their SWL proposal (that would've gone into the parking lot and where IJ is).That SWL would've been noting more than Star Tours, Jedi Training and a few M&G's. Basically what we have today. BoD told them to go big or go home.

Once Star Wars got moved, mostly due to how they set the land up for California, they had to spend WAY less on infrastructure. The amount of things that would've needed to be knocked down or moved to put SWL where the main entry point for CMs is, where the parade barn is, IJ is + building multiple parking garages because 25% of the parking lot was going to be taken up by SWL.

Yeah, DHS had a huge budget (and still does) and we aren't getting the same bang for our buck once bandied about, but you aren't taking into account that almost $1.5B of that $3B was to be spent on infrastructure. Just keeping it real.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
What you are referencing is very early plans... before the Board of Directors completely changed how WDI approached the project by knocking their ego down a peg and rejecting their SWL proposal (that would've gone into the parking lot and where IJ is).That SWL would've been noting more than Star Tours, Jedi Training and a few M&G's. Basically what we have today. BoD told them to go big or go home.

Once Star Wars got moved, mostly due to how they set the land up for California, they had to spend WAY less on infrastructure. The amount of things that would've needed to be knocked down or moved to put SWL where the main entry point for CMs is, where the parade barn is, IJ is + building multiple parking garages because 25% of the parking lot was going to be taken up by SWL.

Yeah, DHS had a huge budget (and still does) and we aren't getting the same bang for our buck once bandied about, but you aren't taking into account that almost $1.5B of that $3B was to be spent on infrastructure. Just keeping it real.

So one group of Imagineers propose a project and it doesn't come to fruition. That's the point I'm making. Lots of things get leaked to gauge interest, not a lot are built. That's the whole gist of my "I'll believe it when I see it" montra.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nick
So one group of Imagineers propose a project and it doesn't come to fruition. That's the point I'm making. Lots of things get leaked to gauge interest, not a lot are built. That's the whole gist of my "I'll believe it when I see it" montra.
Gotcha.

Disney hasn't given anyone any reason to be confident in them actually building what's talked about being built for sure. But I think times have finally changed a bit and they now are taking the "Universal threat" seriously. Took them long enough.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I agree that it could just be delayed for capacity. Possibly likely even.

As far as TSL capacity, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree only does 600 per hour and is also dual-sided, so expect Alien Swirling Saucers to do the same.

As far as Slinky Dog Dash is concerned, according to the concept art, the trains will seat 18 per train (9 rows). Also going on the concept art, it looks like 1 train out at a time and 1 train pulling back in for unload/load. I'm going to be kind and say the ride is somewhere around 1:30. So at a 1 minute dispatch (completely guessing), it will have what, a Theoretical hourly capacity of roughly 650 riders per hour? I'm using some guesstimating, but I feel like most of my numbers are pretty on track and I believe I did my math right so if that's the capacity then... ouch. TSMM is technically part of the land though and has an 1800-ish capacity. So the land altogether is right around 3,000 on my numbers.
With 3 launch area's and a relatively slow moving coaster they should be able to have 3 trains on the track at any given time. But it sure is a low capacity ride and probably the reason that it's seriously downgraded theming wise or Disney would have another 7DMT debacle on their hand. Disney is great in making something look undesirable that way (Goofy coaster, Dinoland USA).

With 3 launch area's and a relatively slow moving coaster they should be able to have 3 trains on the track at any given time. But it sure is a low capacity ride and probably the reason that it's seriously downgraded theming wise or Disney would have another 7DMT debacle on their hand. Disney is great in making something look undesirable that way (Goofy coaster, Dinoland USA).
I agree theming is going to be sparse. However, when they made the changes from the original concept art to what we are currently getting, the land went from a $500M land to a $100M land. Even $100M is too much money for this type of a land, imo. The money that was going to be wasted on this land is ludicrous.

Reactions: Cheezbat and tielo
With the whole permits and such for Ratatouille, I certainly can't be bummed over the sheer fact they're legitimately -adding- a new attraction to the lineup instead of yet another replacement/overlay. A conundrum Epcot has had is they never were adding to the roster, so the crowds never really got spread and the same attractions remained busy. So replacing essentially nothing with Ratatouille is a major plus in that reguard.

As for Ratatouille itself, I love the film, and the attraction looks nice. By no means it looks to be a bad attraction, hell it's easily going to be a better trackless darkride then Antarctica. (Even though that's not saying much.) The only downside is compared to two other trackless darkrides by Disney, Ratatouille is just not on the same level as Pooh's Hunny Hunt or Mystic Manor.

With the whole permits and such for Ratatouille, I certainly can't be bummed over the sheer fact they're legitimately -adding- a new attraction to the lineup instead of yet another replacement/overlay. A conundrum Epcot has had is they never were adding to the roster, so the crowds never really got spread and the same attractions remained busy. So replacing essentially nothing with Ratatouille is a major plus in that regard.

As for Ratatouille itself, I love the film, and the attraction looks nice. By no means it looks to be a bad attraction, hell it's easily going to be a better trackless darkride then Antarctica. (Even though that's not saying much.) The only downside is compared to two other trackless darkrides by Disney, Ratatouille is just not on the same level as Pooh's Hunny Hunt or Mystic Manor.

This is why I've got no problem with this particular IP attraction coming to Epcot; in contrast to Frozen Ever After, for example, Ratatouille is not (based on what we know so far) going to be replacing the culturally-relevant attraction in the France pavilion (Impressions de France). It's going to be a true addition. And even on top of that, I'd argue it's still going to be more of a proper fit for the park than Frozen.

As for the actual ride itself, I think it looks okay. It's kind of Disney's first major attempt to do a Spider-Man/Transformers sort of approach (screens integrated into sets), and while I think it's too simulator-y, it looks like a fun little ride. I'll happily welcome it into the Epcot lineup even if only for the benefit it will provide to the park's capacity.

No impact probably but I'd find it a little odd (Probably the wrong choice of word) to have a similar restaurant that close to each other. Obviously one is on a cruise liner that moves around but it does dock in Florida.

Either way, it doesn't matter. I had interest in going on the ship but zero interest in DLP.
The only thing that's the same between "Remy" on the Disney Fantasy and the Disney Dream and "Bistro Chez Remy" in Paris is literally just the word "Remy". And I don't think you're going to see a lot of overlap between people who want to go to both, and even less the type of people who are paying the extra $95 per person for Remy on the ship aren't likely to get that confused with the family restaurant in the park.

I was at DLP two years ago and went on the Ratatouille ride while there and I honestly really enjoyed it. It wasn't mind blowing or anything but it was definitely a fun ride with some cool aesthetics.

Reactions: Alicia and belloq87
This is why I've got no problem with this particular IP attraction coming to Epcot; in contrast to Frozen Ever After, for example, Ratatouille is not (based on what we know so far) going to be replacing the culturally-relevant attraction in the France pavilion (Impressions de France). It's going to be a true addition. And even on top of that, I'd argue it's still going to be more of a proper fit for the park than Frozen.

As for the actual ride itself, I think it looks okay. It's kind of Disney's first major attempt to do a Spider-Man/Transformers sort of approach (screens integrated into sets), and while I think it's too simulator-y, it looks like a fun little ride. I'll happily welcome it into the Epcot lineup even if only for the benefit it will provide to the park's capacity.
The key to me is that it doesn't replace Impressions de France, which we actually enjoy much more than Soarin. The Rat , as you say, "looks like a fun little ride". But it didn't increase the attendance at the Paris Studio park, so it really shouldn't be expected as an attendance driver, but it certainly will help capacity and be an entertaining addition. :):thumbsup:

Reactions: Quint and belloq87
Here's a look at a good overview of what is believed to be the layout of the building, queue, etc. For those wondering, Martin mentioned that Impressions de France isn't necessarily safe yet.

aXC3QHF.jpg

Interesting that he has heard it's gone silent.

Pretty much all insiders over at Magic have GMR closing in August/September for this changeover and people staying at resort hotels apparently aren't able to book Fastpasses for GMR after a certain point right now.

I will admit that that is the ride i'm most skeptical about right now. I imagine that the operations team on the ground at DHS is vigorously fighting against a closure before Toy Story Land opens so they don't have to endure roughly an 8 month period with only 4 rides in the park. By no means do I think Mickey is certain... at least right now. I actually hope it dies off and reincarnates as a new build in Animation Courtyard.

I'm going to get yelled at for mentioning his name but screw it, Jim Hill recently said on Disney Dish that this attraction is apparently still coming.

Regardless of everything, D23 is going to be insane this year. Hot damn. And I'm hoping (loose hope) that there are some upgrades done to this version of Ratatouille, but I think it looks cute regardless.

I'm going to get yelled at for mentioning his name but screw it, Jim Hill recently said on Disney Dish that this attraction is apparently still coming.

Regardless of everything, D23 is going to be insane this year. Hot damn. And I'm hoping (loose hope) that there are some upgrades done to this version of Ratatouille, but I think it looks cute regardless.

I honestly hope that they bring an updated ride system for Orlando, that allows expanded dynamic motion for the ride vehicles.

Another thing would be to have the screens and the sets mesh better; as that's one of the major negatives that gives Transformers the edge.

Reactions: Alicia

I think we need to keep our D23 expectations tempered a bit. The presentation is only an hour and a half and it covers all parks worldwide + Cruise ships.

D23 Expo isn't the only time they can announce rides. I'd actually expect them to announce Mickey over Rat if GMR actually is closing in the fall. Rat is a new build and isn't going to alter anyone's plans. I truly expect Rat to get thoroughly embarrassed by rides similar to it that are opening around the same(ish) time. Both Mickey and Battle Escape are going to be Vastly superior.

Martin has sad that there is one thing that should get announced for MK at D23 and has eliminated quite a few things. I can only think it's a Stitch replacement or a new nighttime parade.

Reactions: Alicia
I think we need to keep our D23 expectations tempered a bit. The presentation is only an hour and a half and it covers all parks worldwide + Cruise ships.

D23 Expo isn't the only time they can announce rides. I'd actually expect them to announce Mickey over Rat if Mickey actually is closing in the fall. Rat is a new build and isn't going to alter anyone's plans. I truly expect Rat to get thoroughly embarrassed by rides similar to it that are opening around the same(ish) time. Both Mickey and Battle Escape are going to be Vastly superior.

Martin has sad that there is one thing that should get announced for MK at D23 and has eliminated quite a few things. I can only think it's a Stitch replacement or a new nighttime parade.

To be quite honest, I'm far more excited about D23's parks and Resorts panel due to that so many of the parks have a lot of potential announcements to happen.

I could actually see it split back to sections, similar to the 2009 panel, as there is a lot that can be announced and shown for D23; and that I'm even considering putting up the D23 thread early for the sake of speculating what they could announce.

To be quite honest, I'm far more excited about D23's parks and Resorts panel due to that so many of the parks have a lot of potential announcements to happen.

I could actually see it split back to sections, similar to the 2009 panel, as there is a lot that can be announced and shown for D23; and that I'm even considering putting up the D23 thread early for the sake of speculating what they could announce.
Something that is almost a given to be announced is more Marvel at DCA. Bug's Land is going away and Monster's Inc. is too. TSMM is coming to both HKDL and WDSP. Updates on SWL, TSL, etc. The closest thing to definite for WDW is Rat. Oh, gondolas... they'll definitely bring up the gondolas.

Anyway, we're getting way too far off topic so :topic:

Status
Not open for further replies.