The Legend of Zelda (Live-Action) | Inside Universal Forums

The Legend of Zelda (Live-Action)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Dec 29, 2022
Nintendo has OFFICIALLY confirmed that a live-action film is in the works for The Legend of Zelda franchise. Sony will be distributing the movie, Avi Arad is producing and Wes Ball (Maze Runner franchise, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes) is directing. No word yet on a release date or casting.

Reactions: Mike S
Sounds promising but kinda surprised Universal isn't producing this.
They could be trying to be an arms dealer a la Mattel. Getting everyone to bid on your individual IPs could be the better play if you're not trying to do a Marvel-style coherent universe.

I feel like Illumination will be their go-to place for animation properties though (so something like Kirby or Splatoon).

Man, I wanna be excited for this, I am certainly interested, but this just sounds like a trainwreck waiting to happen. I don't trust Sony Pictures to make anything good that isn't called Spiderverse.

Universal may have dodged a bullet here, if we're honest. The Miyamoto "No story, no depth, just fun visuals and nostalgia" attitude that floated Mario only works if the film is aimed at preschoolers, a live action Zelda is gonna need to be significantly more interesting and I just don't know if Nintendo + Sony are the duo to pull that off.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Ohhh god, well I'll still see this mess when it comes out

The Pokemon movie was good but the rest....my god, lol. Who the hell hires these writers, get someone else...anyone else.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
UMc0.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jerroddragon
I think it’s worth keeping in mind that a lot of what you see in Rise and World are heavily influenced by the directors in charge.
Sure but he put his name on them as his writing so......yeah. Doesn't give much hope if he is willing to just put his name on any piece of crap

Sure but he put his name on them as his writing so......yeah. Doesn't give much hope if he is willing to just put his name on any piece of crap
I think you’re dramatically overestimating the amount of creative control a writer has on a major Hollywood blockbuster in 2023.

I’m not asking anyone to feel bad for this dude — just noting that the other movies on his resume don’t necessarily indicate bad things for this film.

I think you’re dramatically overestimating the amount of creative control a writer has on a major Hollywood blockbuster in 2023.
I mean its project to project, I'm pretty sure the creator of FNAF was helping with the writing of that film

But this writer doesn't have a good track record....JW3 and SW episode 9 are.......just......my god realllllllllllly poorly written films

I think the upside to this news is Wes Ball... he has a lot of potential as a filmmaker and is very clearly passionate about each project he works on. I haven't seen the Maze-Runner films but I've heard mostly decent things about them. His Planet of the Apes movie looks fantastic. So for the most part... despite the so-so writer and Sony's involvement, I'm optimistic about the quality of this film. Hopefully it's good.

• Love
Reactions: Mike S