The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando) | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Or, perhaps Simpsons isn’t closing till like 2026 so there’s no hurry this year despite all the rumors.

2026 would still be two years sooner than most of us expected, but not so soon that they’d need to close the tents for HHN this year.
If it means we can get a much larger and more impressive Pokemon attraction, I would be all for that. TBH, a Pets or Web Slingers type attraction would not be a true E ticket for Pokemon.

Or, perhaps Simpsons isn’t closing till like 2026 so there’s no hurry this year despite all the rumors.

2026 would still be two years sooner than most of us expected, but not so soon that they’d need to close the tents for HHN this year.

Hypothetically if this were to happen, do you think we could see other new attractions pushed up for studios or the other two parks ahead of time?

I kinda got the vibe from the rumors that replacing Simpsons with Pokémon would be the first major new addition to the resort (besides stuff like additional dining) after Epic Universe opens.

If it means we can get a much larger and more impressive Pokemon attraction, I would be all for that. TBH, a Pets or Web Slingers type attraction would not be a true E ticket for Pokemon.
This. The AR/Spiderman Scoop ride USJ is getting sounds like the complete opposite of what I'd ideally like to see as the headlining attraction. I want a long, slow moving dark ride through different biomes with physical sets and AAs all over the place. If they NEED to gamify it, just take a cue from Pokemon Snap and have riders snapping pics of things while on the ride.

This. The AR/Spiderman Scoop ride USJ is getting sounds like the complete opposite of what I'd ideally like to see as the headlining attraction. I want a long, slow moving dark ride through different biomes with physical sets and AAs all over the place. If they NEED to gamify it, just take a cue from Pokemon Snap and have riders snapping pics of things while on the ride.
Or pull a Men in Black: Alien Attack and have the guest wielding tools that cause practical effects and set pieces to go off during the ride.

The honest start and end of the conversation about a Pokemon theme park ride should be around this one iconic moment from Pokemon Snap. Your car is on rails, you see a Charmeleon walking across a precarious Volcano edge, and you are given apples that can push or lure Pokemon. You can choose to throw an apple at Charmeleon, and if you do they fall in the lava for a few seconds, before leaping back out revealing that the lava has caused them to evolve into a raging Charizard.

If you want to give guest's a way to interact with this world, it should be as simple as an AR" Apple launcher" or something like that attached to the ride car that you can use to effect the practical Charmeleon and other Pokemon animatronics on the ride.

K29bf.gif

tumblr_mpubw6phS21r8sc3ro1_r1_500.gif

Actually USJ's Pokemon ride is doing away with the SCOOP for dark ride vehicles from Sansei that are more on par with MK/MIB.

Reactions: TylerG and mccgavin
I’m not surprised that a Pokemon headliner would want to retain the most iconic mechanics the series has become known for, catching and battling pokemon, over the gameplay from a spin-off like snap.
It certainly makes some sense. I'm honestly not opposed to the battling and team mechanics that have been rumored. I think if done right it could be a one-of-a-kind attraction.

I only worry about implementation. About how a system with that many choices and options could lead to some people being confused or not interested in the ride, and how the AR could negatively effect the overall design and scope of the practical effects and scenic design.

Pokemon Snap was the idea for decades, right alongside Mario Kart and Mine Kart Madness, because it's very simple and overall just pretty cool. It's effectively Kilimanjaro Safari or Jungle Cruise starring creatures with crazy elemental powers, with many elemental types and biomes to add variety outside of the pure Jungle or Savannah that the Disney ones have. I think a lot of kids that loved the Pokemon games, anime, etc dreamed of the idea that Pokemon could be real. And a ride where you get to see a real Skarmory or flock of Pidgey's flying above you, a Sharpedo or Staryu swimming through the oceans, a life-sized giant Snorlax blocking the ride path forcing you to go around it, or a regal Dragonite sitting atop a high mountain peak,, that would be incredibly cool, and in my mind, enough of a hook to justify a full dark ride on it's own.

AR could be neat, but not if it detracts from the amount of actual Pokemon I get to see in the world around me. I've seen Pokemon on screens before, and for the past decade, they've all been rendered in 3D as well. Pokemon have also all been in AR since Pokemon Go in 2016, which was 8 years ago now. I want to see the Pikachu in front of me whether I have my AR glasses on or off. That's my personal worry.

If anything, I'd rather the mechanics be split up across the land. Like there being various Potter Wand-style vignettes around Pokepark where you can catch various Pokemon with your Uni Pokeball, then you can trade Pokemon and use your Pokedex through the USF app, maybe you can battle other guests in a Pokemon Gym AR experience, and finally the actual big budget Snap-style dark ride. As opposed to cramming all of those systems on a singular ride track. Villain-Con doesn't really have that many mechanics and people are already confused on that. This is the most popular IP in the world, I just hope everyone can enjoy it.

I would think Nintendo/Pokemon have a hand in the ride design also. Maybe it’s what they prefer.
Nintendo is probably the primary reason why Mario Kart has AR so they are probably very hands-on with this as well. Though I expect Pokémon Company to be more at the forefront than Nintendo for this.

Actually USJ's Pokemon ride is doing away with the SCOOP for dark ride vehicles from Sansei that are more on par with MK/MIB.
I meant more in terms of the ASM ride layout/the majority of it being screens. That's not at all what the headlining Pokemon attraction needs. People have been experiencing Pokemon on screens in front of them, and via AR with Go for years. Seeing those worlds and creatures in detailed sets as AAs is what would really blow the GP's mind.

Pokemon also has the added parties of the Pokemon Company making decisions as well.
This will not give anyone remotely familiar with TPCi's handling of....just about anything, any confidence in their decision making o_O

I meant more in terms of the ASM ride layout/the majority of it being screens. That's not at all what the headlining Pokemon attraction needs. People have been experiencing Pokemon on screens in front of them, and via AR with Go for years. Seeing those worlds and creatures in detailed sets as AAs is what would really blow the GP's mind.

This will not give anyone remotely familiar with TPCi's handling of....just about anything, any confidence in their decision making o_O
I'm positive, like with Potter, Universal will gently push them (Nintendo/Pokemon) in directions that result in a more diverse portofolio of rides and attraction. At this point we have a 360 degree land, top to bottom themed, with interactive games that are a mix of screens and physical elements, a main ride that has the same mix and a kiddy ride that is 100% physical. DK will be mainly physical as far as I know.

Sorry this is steering things a bit more off topic, but on the topic of Nintendo's involvement with UC, I'm curious whatever happened to that scoop that Nintendo was supposedly unhappy with the execution of SNW at USH in some way? I never heard any follow up on that.

Sorry this is steering things a bit more off topic, but on the topic of Nintendo's involvement with UC, I'm curious whatever happened to that scoop that Nintendo was supposedly unhappy with the execution of SNW at USH in some way? I never heard any follow up on that.
If I'm not mistaken, the source of that information was Universal Core. Take it with an extremely large grain of salt.

Well, I’m not sure how anyone could be happy with the haphazard implementation of Nintendo at USH.