The Future of Springfield/Simpsons Ride (Hollywood) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Springfield/Simpsons Ride (Hollywood)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What other IP is as big and iconic thats able to replace simpsons other than barbie
Harry Potter
Nintendo (Pokemon, Zelda, Mario)
Minions (not that I want them but the movies are huge)

But also if F&F which is a dying IP (each movies keeps making less plus they are going to end the series soon) then it could be any IP. If it's a great attraction you will get people into the land, Bourne Identity is not a huge IP but the show people only have good things to say, WW is packed is based on a movie no one cares about. Mummy gets lines and while I know people love Brendan now, the series is dead.

But point is Universal doesn't own Barbie and I doubt they are going to pay others to use IP's when they have unused ones and more Potter and Nintendo I think will still draw people

If Universal is able negotiate Pokémon IP rights for it's US based theme parks, that would be a game changer (Pokémon is 50% owned by Nintendo). Pokémon is by far the biggest IP in the world.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
What other IP is as big and iconic thats able to replace simpsons other than barbie
I didn't care for the movie, personally.
I think they need to do something more inclusive and more appealing to all demographics,

Definitely thinking more along the lines of the following:

Pokemon
(could do a lot with Pokecenters, Pokemarts, Gyms, etc but I'd think they'd want it connected to Nintendoland somehow)
Universal Classic Monsters (Epic Universe Lite at Hollywood)
Bourne (could build a new theater in this space)
A bit of a stretch but I still think a venture into anime would work as well (some sort of collaboration of all the cult classics)

Harry Potter
Nintendo (Pokemon, Zelda, Mario)
Minions (not that I want them but the movies are huge)

But also if F&F which is a dying IP (each movies keeps making less plus they are going to end the series soon) then it could be any IP. If it's a great attraction you will get people into the land, Bourne Identity is not a huge IP but the show people only have good things to say, WW is packed is based on a movie no one cares about. Mummy gets lines and while I know people love Brendan now, the series is dead.

But point is Universal doesn't own Barbie and I doubt they are going to pay others to use IP's when they have unused ones and more Potter and Nintendo I think will still draw people
Harry potter could work
i doubt there would be any nintendo in the upperlot
minions already have an attraction

there’s always an opportunity for whatever land that takes over Simpsons to expand into the current studio tour station if it ever gets relocated. Either that, or just another land.

Reactions: TheUniC6
No inside info here, but I would expect the rights to the Simpsons be negotiated to be extended and we will see a new Simpsons dark ride replace the current, crumbling Simpsons Ride.
That Sucks The Office GIF

No inside info here, but I would expect the rights to the Simpsons be negotiated to be extended and we will see a new Simpsons dark ride replace the current, crumbling Simpsons Ride.
I think it's possible (but unlikely) that Universal could extend the Simpsons contract, but I don't see them investing a significant amount in an IP that belongs to their primary competitor. If anything I could see them stretching it out a few more years if they don't have replacement plans by when the contract supposedly expires in 2028.

Heh, it's possible there could be an extension. Disney says they're back in the business of licensing their IP's. And Simpsons/Springfield food/beverage/alcohol/merchandise does well and rakes in big bucks for both Universal & Disney. Disney has tons of IP's that are under represented in their parks so they really don't need to build an expensive new land to house the Simpsons.

Reactions: Jamesh22
It's definitely plausible.
Disney isn't at the top of their game right now so I could see them allowing Universal to continue using Simpsons with a renegotiation. But it also begs the question on if guests would want to see another Simpsons attraction or would it be better using another IP.
I do hope they swap it out for something else though, given the condition of the building and all. Regardless, I think we'll be waiting until 2025 or 2026 (at the earliest) until we see anything get demolished or replaced. The park really can't afford to lose another attraction right now.

It's definitely plausible.
Disney isn't at the top of their game right now so I could see them allowing Universal to continue using Simpsons.
I do hope they swap it out for something else though, given the condition of the building and all. Regardless, I think we'll be waiting until 2025 or 2026 until we see anything get demolished or replaced. The park really can't afford to lose another attraction right now.
I could see Simpsons be the next big replacement project after F&F.

I could see Simpsons be the next big replacement project after F&F.
Exactly, come to think of it, it'll be the last mostly unaltered attraction building standing since the ol' days (on the upper lot)...
I think the park would be interested in completely revitalizing the upper lot. They'll want people to spread out a bit.
As it stands, I think a majority of guests are hanging out at Wizarding World and 'tindoland. F&F will bring more people in that direction of the upper lot but then they're probably gonna want another "new and shiny" thing to make sure people spend time on the upper lot.

I strongly doubt they're going to extend the life of the Simpsons contract. The ride needs to be replaced. There are probably elements of that ride that are 30+ years old and it's just winding down. It makes the most sense for Universal to keep the ride going up until the contract expires. Then, in one fell swoop, they can replace the ride and the land with something that they own. Keeping the ride open past 2028 would likely require extensive rehab and refurb, and if the contract is ending and they're going to have to replace the ride anyway, they might as well replace it with something where they don't have to pay licensing fees to their biggest competitor.

I think the biggest issue with a Springfield replacement is that, due to the layout of the park, it needs to be a thoroughfare. You cannot get to the Lower Lot or to the Studio Tour any other way than through Springfield. So, almost by definition, it needs to be something that people aren't really going to hang out in the way that they hang out in SNW or WWoHP. There are already tons of complaints about the park being too crowded; could you imagine trying to get down to the Lower Lot for Nintendo and being forced to navigate between people casting spells or people playing minigames? It'd be a madhouse and it'd only get worse as the park got busier. I don't really have any ideas for what could replace it but I think it's probably going to be a mid-tier Universal-owned IP. Or, they might go the route of leaving it a bit more generic, loosely connecting it to action movies by replacing Simpsons with the Bourne Stuntacular.

I would like something like HTTYD, another ride system, but keeping the screens, we could have a ride system similar to Flight Of Passage.

Not many IP's are guaranteed to sell lots of merch/food/beverage/alcohol because their name is on it. When you have one that has a proven track record, it makes good business sense to keep it rather than gamble that some lesser IP will sell product.

Not many IP's are guaranteed to sell lots of merch/food/beverage/alcohol because their name is on it. When you have one that has a proven track record, it makes good business sense to keep it rather than gamble that some lesser IP will sell product.

Agree - I think Universal will try its best to retain the licensing for F&B and merchandise. Maybe not extend the contract for attractions, doubt anyone bats an eye at the removal of the Simpsons ride, but the land does so much business it'll be stupid not to consider extending the contract just for that alone.

Unless they have another property that can justify not renewing.