The Future of Springfield/Simpsons Ride (Hollywood) | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Springfield/Simpsons Ride (Hollywood)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That early concept art for F&F shows the FFB looking like a generic LA street. Foreshadowing, I think so.

I think a dark ride would be the ideal replacement for USH's Simpsons, though I am really curious what IP they would go for. Maybe something Illumination or DreamWorks?

I agree with @Freak that I just don't see Universal replacing our Simpsons with a Pokemon land -- if they do bring Pokemon to the park, they're gonna want space that that spot doesn't have and something like the Transformers plot and the surrounding area does.

That said, my dream, especially after seeing that scene in Godzilla v Kong that Adam Wingard even said was directly inspired by Back to the Future: The Ride -- and I think I've mentioned it before -- would be to see Simpsons replaced with a Godzilla/Kong ride. The "generic street" outside of F&F could lead into a neon-lit city space (let's just say Tokyo-esque) with a Monarch building as the focus, where the ride's story is that we as guests are being invited by Monarch to tour their facilities in the queue and then experience a journey to the Hollow Earth only to get caught up in Godzilla, Kong, and other Titan-related mayhem.

Unlike Pokemon or the Universal Monsters, and just like Skull Island over at IoA, Godzilla/Kong doesn't need a big, interactive land, and I'd rather see stuff like UM or Pokemon (if they come) be given actual space to work with rather than shoved into the restraints of where Springfield is now. And what would be amazing would be a ride that starts off as if you are in a simulator ride, take the on screen rapid journey to Hollow Earth, and then -- surprise, surprise -- end up in actual sets with props and animatronics complimented by stuff that has to be on a screen (like the monsters fighting). Hell, throw in up close Godzilla and Kong animatronics at the end like RoK for that awesome final punch before we return back to the surface.

As an added bonus, bringing "modern" Kong to the park this way would also allow King Kong 360 to finally go for something else on the Studio Tour, too, all while blending the urban theming of F&F right into it, looking cool as hell at night, and giving the properties with more land opportunities and potential a chance to be developed elsewhere in the park. (Plus, how could would it be to have Kong and Godzilla involved in park marketing?)

If this does happen, I'd imagine that the pathways to the Studio Tour and the Lower Lot would be rerouted to be where the FFB restaurants currently are. Imagine instead of a T shaped pathway it's a Y shaped pathway. This would give any hypothetical ride more room to work with.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Hey at least we get to watch a whole new hotel rise! That’s exciting!
Eh.
I agree with @Freak that I just don't see Universal replacing our Simpsons with a Pokemon land -- if they do bring Pokemon to the park, they're gonna want space that that spot doesn't have and something like the Transformers plot and the surrounding area does.

That said, my dream, especially after seeing that scene in Godzilla v Kong that Adam Wingard even said was directly inspired by Back to the Future: The Ride -- and I think I've mentioned it before -- would be to see Simpsons replaced with a Godzilla/Kong ride. The "generic street" outside of F&F could lead into a neon-lit city space (let's just say Tokyo-esque) with a Monarch building as the focus, where the ride's story is that we as guests are being invited by Monarch to tour their facilities in the queue and then experience a journey to the Hollow Earth only to get caught up in Godzilla, Kong, and other Titan-related mayhem.

Unlike Pokemon or the Universal Monsters, and just like Skull Island over at IoA, Godzilla/Kong doesn't need a big, interactive land, and I'd rather see stuff like UM or Pokemon (if they come) be given actual space to work with rather than shoved into the restraints of where Springfield is now. And what would be amazing would be a ride that starts off as if you are in a simulator ride, take the on screen rapid journey to Hollow Earth, and then -- surprise, surprise -- end up in actual sets with props and animatronics complimented by stuff that has to be on a screen (like the monsters fighting). Hell, throw in up close Godzilla and Kong animatronics at the end like RoK for that awesome final punch before we return back to the surface.

As an added bonus, bringing "modern" Kong to the park this way would also allow King Kong 360 to finally go for something else on the Studio Tour, too, all while blending the urban theming of F&F right into it, looking cool as hell at night, and giving the properties with more land opportunities and potential a chance to be developed elsewhere in the park. (Plus, how could would it be to have Kong and Godzilla involved in park marketing?)
I doubt they would let universal use Godzilla in anything. Toho is pretty controlling. As far as Simpson goes, it ain’t going anywhere before 2028 I think they will start internal Dialogue on it soon tho because that’s the only area of the park now that hasn’t been touched in 10 years besides the rollercoaster going up. 2014 is when the last big renovation happened there.

I think SpongeBob would actually be a really good replacement for Simpsons + Springfield tbh...

Turn Springfield into Bikini Bottom. Retheme Krusty Burger with Krusy Krab, and all the other food "stands" to Spongebob elements (Goober Sundaes, Winnie Hut Junior, The Salty Spatoon, etc). Throw in some Downtown Bikini Bottom skyscraper facades and boom.

My only issue is that I have no idea what kind of SpongeBob attraction would replace Simpsons. The ride system MUST go because the parts for the ride aren't available anymore, so it'd be something new.

But I think SpongeBob would be a smart IP change. Its popular but not too popular, it'd make for a really "easy" reskin of Springfield (while also probably giving off a similar irreverent vibe to Simpsons because you know, television sitcoms) and could potentially get merchandise sales just as good as Simpsons.

Ever since the new Universal Kids concept art got shown off, my mind has been racing of SpongeBob in Hollywood.

Last edited:
I think SpongeBob would actually be a really good replacement for Simpsons + Springfield tbh...

Turn Springfield into Bikini Bottom. Retheme Krusty Burger with Krusy Krab, and all the other food "stands" to Spongebob elements (Goober Sundaes, Winnie Hut Junior, The Salty Spatoon, etc). Throw in some Downtown Bikini Bottom skyscraper facades and boom.

My only issue is that I have no idea what kind of SpongeBob attraction would replace Simpsons. The ride system MUST go because the parts for the ride aren't available anymore, so it'd be something new.

But I think SpongeBob would be a smart IP change. Its popular but not too popular, it'd make for a really "easy" reskin of Springfield (while also probably giving off a similar irreverent vibe to Simpsons because you know, television sitcoms) and could potentially get merchandise sales just as good as Simpsons.

Ever since the new Universal Kids concept art got shown off, my mind has been racing of SpongeBob in Hollywood.
That’s literally what they replaced with Simpsons

Spongebob would be better in Toon Lagoon. Pokemon belongs at USF.

I have never understood the "ride parts are available anymore" argument. Can't parts just be manufactured? Do rides just become obsolete when parts from the original manufacturer are no longer made? I don't get it.

I have never understood the "ride parts are available anymore" argument. Can't parts just be manufactured? Do rides just become obsolete when parts from the original manufacturer are no longer made? I don't get it.
It is possible to upgrade a ride's infrastructure, but it's a rather significant investment. Wouldn't make sense in this case as they're going to lose the IP eventually, and USF already has enough simulators.

Over on the thread for Universal Kids there was speculation that the SpongeBob ride there would be some sort of interactive dark ride.

It is not a problem or issue,,
That answer covers a lot of questions that pop up on these forums , especially in USF for MIB and CITH and ET. Thanks for the clarification. I always thought that might be the case. Example: Our local park Kennywood has been operating rides, many that are 60 to almost 100 years old, and I'm sure almost all the original ride manufacturers no longer exist.

Sorry for the misinformation. I guess what I was trying to say is that it wouldn't be worth trying to rebuild an outdated ride system for a ride whose parts aren't as abundantly available anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheUniC6
It is possible to upgrade a ride's infrastructure, but it's a rather significant investment. Wouldn't make sense in this case as they're going to lose the IP eventually, and USF already has enough simulators.
Yes they have been having to manufacture parts for all the outdated rides, Jurassic world is very much still Jurassic park. But yeah they had to do everything in house for a while for a lot of the rides now.

Reactions: Mad Dog

It's shocking to me that a big budget SpongeBob land hasn't happened yet. IMO that has to be one of the most underutilized theme park properties. A highly themed Krusty Krab quick service spot would be a huge hit.

It's shocking to me that a big budget SpongeBob land hasn't happened yet. IMO that has to be one of the most underutilized theme park properties. A highly themed Krusty Krab quick service spot would be a huge hit.
And they could make the location super small, and reservations, and make sure only people that enter early have a chance to eat there. Oh, we already have that in Toadstool Cafe

Storytime: My partner was born in Japan and went to Tokyo Disneyland Resort a lot as a child. But in her teen years, her family went to Universal Studios Japan more frequently. She never bothered with Back to the Future The Ride because she assumed it'd be a boring simulator attraction because it was so old. One day, however; she took the chance and decided to ride it, and it became one of her new favorite "dark" rides. But sadly, the ride closed like a year later for Minion Mayhem.

Years later, she went to Universal Hollywood for the first time, and during her time there, she didn't even bother with Simpsons. It was mostly due to her being heavily disappointed by Kung-Fu Panda as she thought it'd be more like Muppet Vision 3D, and found it really boring. She knew that Simpsons was an American cartoon and expected a similar experience even if it's called "Ride".

Next time she goes to the park it's with me, and I tell her to stand in front of Simpsons and reaaaaaallly look closely.

She then realized it was Back to the Future and she ran into the queue. She ended up loving the ride so much that she started to watch all of the golden seasons of Simpsons, ahaha (she didn't know what Simpsons was prioring to coming to the US in 2019). Apparently Hollywood Back to the Future (The Simpsons Ride) is a lot more aggressive than Osaka Back to the Future (Minion Mayhem). She was surprised by how much the ride vehicles moved so much.

But the sad takeaway is that now Simpsons is probably going to hit the dust on both coasts soon-ish (probably) and she's all like, "It's Back to the Future all over agaaainnnn."

Last time we went, we got room 7 in the left dome so she finally got the optimal experience.

But yee, storytime over.