The Future of Parisian Courtyard | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Parisian Courtyard

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
No worries Alex. If anything we learned some new things on this thread about how USH management thinks, if anything.

Eh I'm kind of relieved to be honest. I was kind of scared they were going to ruin a nice area of the park and an underrated HHN venue (Underrated being its the smallest venue) for an extremely sub-par screenz-fest. If we're going to have another screenz ride, I'd rather have another simulator. At least I would get to sit down.

Certainly doesn't feel like the smallest considering the best houses are usually in it
I missed El Cucuey by one year :sob: But at least I got to do Dracula Untold! *fakes excitement*

Horrors of Blumhouse, The Purge: Gauntlet of Fear, & Universal Monsters are my three favorites from this location. Granted, all three of them used part of the Universal Plaza! lol so they cheated for size.

Reactions: saint.piss
all three of them used part of the Universal Plaza! lol so they cheated for size.
It would be so awesome if they started doing that again... I have only been going to Hollywood's since 2021 so I haven't experienced a house they've done in that venue when they used the plaza as well

The plaza is used smarter now. I'm all for the Day of the Dead area taking up the space. It's better use for it.

I still remember how empty Parisian felt after Blumhouse was removed. It felt so naked... then xmas vomited everywhere in the park

No worries Alex. If anything we learned some new things on this thread about how USH management thinks, if anything.
My thanks--I am just glad it is recieved better than I thought. Usually my main code is of honor and wanting to make sure things can be as transparent as I can give it. And in so doing, accountability is equally as important for me.

On the plus side--I can joke about it now; and that hopefully it means Universal is looking to do better than Villain-Con.

Eh I'm kind of relieved to be honest. I was kind of scared they were going to ruin a nice area of the park and an underrated HHN venue (Underrated being its the smallest venue) for an extremely sub-par screenz-fest. If we're going to have another screenz ride, I'd rather have another simulator. At least I would get to sit down.
Really??? Didn't know that. Damn lol. Certainly doesn't feel like the smallest considering the best houses are usually in it that's cool
I think that's kind of why I loved La Llorona to bits--because of how they maxed out the venue to it's fullest capabilities.

Seems like that continued with Monstruos too; as because of the tight corridors, it makes it feel much more *lived* in. More alive, as it were. Makes me really excited to see what they are working on with this year's house; to see what is possible through working through limitations (which honestly is one of USH's best traits).

Reactions: Wesker69 and Freak
If you're not wrong once in a while you're not learning. Plus it's a good reminder any insider source is all 'speculation' until officially announced, if ever, because that's how it goes sometimes. Something turning out wrong shouldn't be seen as a bad reflection on your part!

I'm not sure what y'all were expecting! Villain Con was designed to be cloned easily to other resorts, and the Parisian Courtyard is not all that big a space. The lukewarm reception to Orlando's iteration may have impacted those ambitions some, though.
Doesn't look like it's coming here after all but I wonder if there's another IP that would utilize the same system? Not sure what could fit into this area but I don't think it would have to be Minions would it?
I agree, it sucks. It doesn't mean they won't ever build dark rides again - they just did Mario Kart, after all. But they aren't likely to build such a dense, relatively expensive dark ride that has an abysmal capacity again... which is why they aren't likely to repeat something like Pets at Parisian. There's no way to scale it in a way that gives it the capacity to deal with the number of guests the park now receives.
I wonder if the negative issues around the ride vehicles is the main culprit? It looks like a great ride otherwise but if most guests can't ride it because of the seating arrangements then yeah, it's going to have lower capacity, fewer riders, and general discontent among people who want to get on but can't.

If they took another shot at it but with a more capable ride system I think it would work though I get why it might be harder to convince people holding the purse strings to try again.

I wonder if the negative issues around the ride vehicles is the main culprit? It looks like a great ride otherwise but if most guests can't ride it because of the seating arrangements then yeah
I remember when we had a TM preview in Dec 2019 inside SS29 of all the upcoming stuff (PETS, Toothsome, Minions Cafe, NintendoLand, etc). They had a PETS ride vehicle on display, we all took one look at it & knew it'd be problematic. Especially being a 2-seater for a family of 3 or 5!

I wonder if the negative issues around the ride vehicles is the main culprit? It looks like a great ride otherwise but if most guests can't ride it because of the seating arrangements then yeah, it's going to have lower capacity, fewer riders, and general discontent among people who want to get on but can't.

I don't think the ride vehicles are that big of an issue. Two seats isn't uncommon for this kind of ride. Even though they don't have have distinct seats, rides like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Peter Pan's Flight really only seat two. The overall throughput of the ride isn't great compared to rides like Forbidden Journey, but it's not egregiously low, either. I personally think the biggest issue with the ride is the inconsistency of the virtual queue.
Honestly, though, I think it's just a cost-benefit thing. There are a ton of animatronics in that ride that can't be cheap but it's not exactly a ride that brings people into the park. If the benefit of the ride (in terms of encouraging business or improving capacity) is outweighed by the cost of the ride, the company is gonna consider it a failure.

I don't think the ride vehicles are that big of an issue. Two seats isn't uncommon for this kind of ride. Even though they don't have have distinct seats, rides like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Peter Pan's Flight really only seat two.
The big difference between PETS & any of the Fantasyland dark rides is there being a significant guest size issue for seating. If you're more on the heavier side, PETS seating isn't exactly guest friendly as a 2 seater.

That's more or less the only real design flaw with the ride vehicles.

There's three issues with Pets re: capacity and vehicles.

1, the design of the restraints. They are undeniably more restrictive than they reasonably should be, excluding some (but definitely not "most") guests who are right to be frustrated.

2, the length (or lack thereof) of the load and unload belts. Some of this was unavoidable due to the strange shape of the space they were working with, but the TMs are forced to stop all vehicles repeatedly due to folks needing extra time getting in and out of the vehicles. TMs tend to have just enough time to get someone in a box on the longer loading belt without a stop, but the unload belt is significantly shorter, meaning the ride almost always has to halt when someone needing accommodations reaches this area - which, of course, happens frequently. (This is of course not the fault of those who need those accommodations, but because the way the ride was designed, it really hampers throughput. I'm a little surprised this element wasn't given more consideration during the design phase, but I suspect they decided "virtual queue!" would solve all problems.) While I don't think Pets will ever end up anywhere else since it's a dormant/low-priority franchise, if they do attempt to use this ride system again, I expect a layout that includes much longer belts (or a single, lengthy load/unload belt like California Adventure's Little Mermaid ride).

3, the number of RVs. Yes, people are continuously loading, but it's at a trickle, not a steady stream. The boxes are more spaced out relative to other omnimover-like rides due to the adoption scenes near the end of the ride. If the RVs were more tightly packed together, you'd see huge improvements in capacity, but that sequence would become unintelligible (and inevitably less personal) with the sound bleeding between groups. One could question whether the execution of the adoption scene warrants the RV sacrifice, but here we are.

boxes are more spaced out relative to other omnimover-like rides due to the adoption scenes near the end of the ride. but that sequence would become unintelligible (and inevitably less personal) with the sound bleeding between groups. One could question whether the execution of the adoption scene warrants the RV sacrifice, but here we are.
It felt like Universal's version of Disney's Haunted Mansion "Hitchhiking Ghost" gimmick. I can't remember if MK's "animated" revamp included audio from the trio or not. My brain is not functioning at the moment if Disneyland has "finale audio" or not with their mirrors (in my head I keep hearing the "present attack" sound effects from HMH).

I feel like they could've adjusted a few scenes here/there when designing within the space they had. Also does the "adoption sequence" really need to be that long? They definitely could've adjusted to give a better unload.

....this all should be shifted to the PETS thread because PARISIAN COURTYARD!!! *sigh* :lol: