Taylor Swift | The Eras Tour (Concert Film) | Inside Universal Forums

Taylor Swift | The Eras Tour (Concert Film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Originally was not going to create a thread for this as we had been talking about it in the more music focused Taylor Swift thread, but this is more than music now. We're talking not about just a concert film, but about a film that is already breaking records and is poised to become the first film ever to crack a $100M domestic opening in October.

For example, the film has already beaten out Spider-Man: No Way Home by over $9M to become the highest grossing film at AMC in a single day and apparently AMC reported that $26M after only 3 hours. NWH's record for AMC was $16.9M. It is also going to be playing at Cinemark and Regal, but AMC is the main theater chain as AMC is actually distributing this film in an effort for Swift to go around the big studios. She did it all with a single Instagram post and a youtube clip the day tickets went on sale with no prior announcement.

Fandango is also reporting the concert film is in the Top-10 all-time first day presellers and Fandango wasn't even the main presale partner. I might be getting ahead of myself as this is really about how many screens it can get on meaning how many showing get added, but I don't know if we're just looking at it breaking $100M, I think $150M or even breaking the high for the year set by Barbie is in play. This is going to be a huge event for her entire fanbase for both people who did get to see the concert and especially for those that didn't.

Why did my AMC stocks drop after this announcement? lol It should have been going through the roof!

I also wonder if Universal is one of the studios that tried to lowball her. She's on Universal Music Group so I'd imagine they might be especially butthurt about losing this.

Why did my AMC stocks drop after this announcement? lol It should have been going through the roof!

I also wonder if Universal is one of the studios that tried to lowball her. She's on Universal Music Group so I'd imagine they might be especially butthurt about losing this.
If I had to guess she didn’t even approach the big studios about this. This move lines up with the re-recording of her music. She owns it herself, no one else.

Also on AMC, there was at least initially a 9.2% bump. It should also be mentioned that Comcast does not own Universal Music Group.

Last edited:
If I had to guess she didn’t even approach the big studios about this. This move lines up with the re-recording of her music. She owns it herself, no one else.

Also on AMC, there was at least initially a 9.2% bump. It should also be mentioned that Comcast does not own Universal Music Group.

From Billboard
"And according to a new report at Puck, the unorthodox deal that bypasses traditional studios and instead release the film directly in cinemas with AMC Theatres acting as distributor came about only after discussions with traditional distributors, including Universal Pictures, broke down."

Reactions: SeventyOne
From Billboard
"And according to a new report at Puck, the unorthodox deal that bypasses traditional studios and instead release the film directly in cinemas with AMC Theatres acting as distributor came about only after discussions with traditional distributors, including Universal Pictures, broke down."
I don’t know what the deal was, but Universal is stupid for letting that go even if she was insisting terms unheard of. This would have been on Peacock in perpetuity and that alone I think would have been worth it.

From Billboard
Thinking about it again, I’m actually thinking that the strike is probably more of why a deal with Universal fell apart.

Why would it matter? Taylor Swift is a SAG member, so if she signed a deal to distribute this film with a struck studio, then the instagram post she put out the other day would be against Union strike policy.

However, she’s working in an unconventional manner and actually working with a theater chain to distribute the film, and she wholly owns it. That means she can promote it as much as she wants even though she’s a SAG member since she’s not working with a struck studio.

$75 million opening weekend is my guess, then slow but steady box office thru the Holidays.
It’s currently only playing for 4 weekends (10/13 until just before The Marvels hits theaters).

But this could play very well over the holidays as well if they want to stay in theaters. As many have joked, Swift is the superhero people really want to see this fall/winter and I can see this over-performing people’s expectations whilst The Marvels and Aquaman 2 struggle.

It’s currently only playing for 4 weekends (10/13 until just before The Marvels hits theaters).

But this could play very well over the holidays as well if they want to stay in theaters. As many have joked, Swift is the superhero people really want to see this fall/winter and I can see this over-performing people’s expectations whilst The Marvels and Aquaman 2 struggle.
Taylor Swift makes money, that’s proven. I think this will do well. Going to be interesting.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Three movies currently have moved to get out of the way of this. I do personally think Exorcist moving was not smart as it lost all of the free press it would've gained from the ExorSwift memes and being able to ride Taylor’s coattails actually may have helped the movie.

Also, there's this. Insane considering it didn't exist one second and then one instagram post later is all it took for it to blow up the theatrical industry. This is great for the theatrical market after losing Dune 2 as this concert film actually might make up for any profits lost by Dune 2 moving to next year.

Last edited:
Is this just a filmed concert? It doesn't have other footage? ( like that Metallica movie that had clips with the guy running around the city)

This makes me wonder if Taylor swift will eventually do a movie type project and release it the same way. Not a concert but a different type of project

Is this just a filmed concert? It doesn't have other footage? ( like that Metallica movie that had clips with the guy running around the city)

This makes me wonder if Taylor swift will eventually do a movie type project and release it the same way. Not a concert but a different type of project
Yes, it was filmed over three concerts in LA from August 3-5. The extremely quick tells me that this was not only extremely cheap and will be a hugely profitable film, but also that they probably weren’t originally planning to release this during this period until the strike and all of the films started to vacate the fall so they saw an opening.

Taylor has acted in numerous films already, but she’s started to become more of a director. She now directs all of her music videos and has a deal with Searchlight Pictures to direct her own film with them.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I've gotta hand it to Swift, this should be great for theaters. Bringing more business into cinemas for an event-sized opening weekend is a good thing, especially because it seems at least the next year could be very sparse for big "events" in theaters. Cinemas need absolutely all the traffic they can get, whenever and however they can get it.

They need to move Killers of the Flower Moon. They've already lost the absolutely crucial "girlfriends forced to come with their boyfriends," demographic.
I actually have to push back on this a bit now that I think about it. Think about the way Barbenheimer succeeded. Men went with woman to Barbie and woman would then go to see Oppenheimer with their boyfriend/husband.

in weekend 2, which will probably still be big for this, it actually may HELP draw eyeballs towards Killers Of The Flower Moon simply by so many people being in cinemas.

It's not surprising this did well in pre sale

Also good on Taylor from doing this in a non tradition way, proves the studios aren't as powerful as they think

$100M+ opening weekend expected with potential for a $150M+ weekend based on estimates so far with how fast each added showing is selling out and also taking into account the fact that tickets are quite a bit more expensive for this than a regular movie.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
This is gonna be one of the highest grossing films worldwide now as it’s opening outside of just North America now.

Out of every movie coming out for the rest of the year, I think this has the highest chance to hit $1B (Of course it's only four weekends, so i'd say probably not close).