Super Nintendo World - Reviews, Photos, & Video (Spoilers) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World - Reviews, Photos, & Video (Spoilers)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, absolutely true - I do not have a band but was watching other people play and the ones who had never played before were left to fend for themselves. It’s not a carnival game, they aren’t losing money when people beat the games — they should be more communicative about rules/hints. The one exception was the TM working the Plant Nap Mishap; they were giving tips and letting groups play together to make sure they had a better chance to win.
I saw the TM today even helping out and clicking red ones so they win

Yeah, it think its TM to TM

Also not....I promise im not trying to be negative but hope some TM gets more energy again. The first few days....especially the first they were all had smiles and were just seeming happy now its like many stand there like its a whatever job....and its been less then a week. I just hope some TM's get the spirit back after they get previews

I've always had the TMs communicate at each game - some even let me know that "hard mode" had activated. The toughest game, by far, is the Koopa POW block, though. Even with a clear explanation, some guests are gonna lose that one.

I've always had the TMs communicate at each game - some even let me know that "hard mode" had activated. The toughest game, by far, is the Koopa POW block, though. Even with a clear explanation, some guests are gonna lose that one.
Yeah that game my friend lost on easy mode...and he did it when he should have.....the other games seem much more forgiving and kinda hope they change it. Plus most other games you can have help.....the crank game even on hard mode isn't bad unless you dont have any stamina...the sleeping plant with 4 people is easy.....the thwamp game as well

I know some will disagree but if you have a 15+ min wait and lose...and have to go back and do it other another again could really ruin some kids day if he can't get a third key before his parents want to leave and doesn't get to do the boss.

That or put flowers as markers for the Koopa game so we have a spot to aim for over....nothing because it can be super sensitive like sometimes a spot works and next time doesn't

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Honestly, its kind of an obtuse game (especially if you don't know what a POW block is).

Honestly, its kind of an obtuse game (especially if you don't know what a POW block is).
I kinda wish you could see inside the pipe...because when I "missed" it the other day I swear to god I timed it right and when my friend missed on easy mode (this guy is the best gamer in my group and he watched many others play it and asked me for advise) it just feels like you have to believe it that you lost...the other games are much easier to see why you lost

But I do like how it looks and the idea behind it.....really wish the Bombs made it over as well.

So as mentioned in the main thread, I finally got to go today after trying to go in as blind as possible, and as I said there, I was truly blown away by this land despite how we got a smaller one. It still managed to be a wonderful experience and super immersive. It had a vibe like no other that made me almost forget I was at Universal. This land really is a winner aside from the already mentioned things they could add. I was just also amazed by how they managed to make something for Mario fans new and old. The immersiveness of the scenery and especially the new renditions of Mario songs I've heard over the years filled me with emotion as I set foot for the first time and it got me almost tearing up. It's amazing and just about everything younger me would have wanted. Though I didn't know there were some things that didn't seem finished just yet, but I did notice that with the Peach area.

Mario Kart was fun despite not being super fast and such a treat to walk through the queue of. I think as most said, I didn't quite have a grip on the AR system on my first go, but I think that'll change in the future. It's no Rise of The Resistance but still a fun and pleasant ride to look at. I also thought it was really nice that they have Miis in the pre-show.

Was not expecting to spend the amount of time I did. Got to the park and land at 10, left around 2-ish. This has also officially unseated Jurassic World as my first stop going forward, both in terms of liking and beating the crowds. Also, I am amazed by how there's lots of achievements/stamps. It adds some re-visitability to the land and also re-rideability to Mario Kart. I also wonder how you get the meetable character stamps, since I wasn't prompted with the thing after meeting the Mario Bros. and Peach.

I especially wonder if the Opening month stamp simply just means going in February. Not sure if they'd really make a stamp that's only obtainable once in your whole lifetime.

Food was great, had the Garlic Knots, Mario burger, and Tiramisu. All great save for maybe the burger meat, which was kinda dryish and similar to Krusty Burger's? Probably got dealt a bad hand. Fries were also almost a little too salty, which became noticeable as I ate more of them, but a step up from other fries in the park imo.

Anyways, I think I've got some catchup from the first THs.
  • Buying a Power Band was easy, and setting it up even easier. You can do it from the nifty vending machines in the center of the land or the 1-up store. These things are already printing money - huge queues to buy them. That said, they do not snap on easily. Mine kept becoming loose and occasionally fell off while playing the more intense games.
  • As for the games: They are fun, like turbocharged versions of the interactives from If I Ran the Zoo. I don't see them being repeatable, and I do wish we had a few more. Four feels like too few - perhaps something should've been tucked away upstairs, which as of now only has a handful of interactives and the AR binoculars (which are nifty).
  • The Bowser Jr. boss battle was a real treat, though people in the center inevitably get a better view of the finale animation.
  • They are for some reason playing the Japanese media in the preshows for Bowser Jr. and Mario Kart. There are no spoken English instructions, though there are subtitles in English and Japanese. Bowser's and Toad's Japanese names (Koopa and Kinopio, respectively) are thus used. A bit confusing.
  • We now know why there's so much queue in Mt. Beanpole: There is far less queue in Bowser's Castle than previously anticipated. In my book, this is a win - we have the superior queue. We lose none of the details but gain in environment variety, but because the castle rooms aren't laughably gargantuan, they feel more like lived-in spaces.
  • Yoshi rooms have screens that were not animating yet, but presumably Yoshis will wander by eventually.
  • Toadstool Cafe is a big winner. We sampled the Luigi Burger (excellent and zesty), the garlic knots (fantastic), the fire flower spaghetti (nothing crazy but a nice alternate to the sandwiches and salads), and the tiramisu (delicious, flavorful, and the perfect serving size). Presentation of the food items was great, and the staff was attentive. The media playing in the dining room is full of cute little surprises and "events." This is also the spot to hear beautiful orchestrations from Super Mario Galaxy.
  • The bathrooms are legit cute with the underwater theming, music, and soundscape.
  • Mario Kart is a blast and a great interactive dark ride once you understand how to play. The problem is you almost certainly are not going to get the hang of it on your first try - in fact, you probably aren't going to get our visor on correctly. For the visor to fill your field of vision and for its imagery to remain stable, your cap needs to be pulled WAY DOWN against your face -- too many people were just plopping it on their head, and I could see people struggling to tighten and adjust it during the ride. Once everything's on, the gameplay is thrilling, and the AR is at times extremely convincing. There are moments where I thought I was looking at a physical animatronic and was shocked to see it was all digital imagery.
  • The app and sticker book is nifty and will make repeat visits very enjoyable.
  • The meet and greets are awesome, but be patient with them. The performers for Mario and Luigi are clearly struggling with visibility issues, and it'll take some time before they can move more confidently. Their ability to talk, look around, and blink was cute and impressive.
  • Tarps were themed and look good, so glad we spent pages yelling at each other about that.
  • The grid-like backdrops do NOT look good, and I am shocked they were approved. You don't notice them when you're just walking around the land, but when your eyes focus on an animated element or you take a picture, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Not sure what the immediate solution here is, but it doesn't look great.
  • Sight lines on the ground floor are largely excellent - I noticed very few visual intrusions, which is quite the achivement. However, I was puzzled by how some of the physical animated elements were positioned, as I could easily see many of their mechanics without looking for them. Some of them appear to be positioned far too high, so the scenic elements meant to disguise the exposed metal were not able to do their intended jobs. Not sure how fixable some of this is, but it's noticeable, especially for some of the Koopas and 1-up mushrooms.
Overall, this is going to print money and be a huge success for the park. Get started on Donkey Kong Country yesterday.
I concur with all of these and I will try the Mario Kart tip for next time, though I didn't know there were screens in the Yoshi queue. My power up band kind of got slightly damaged from what appeared to be a dirt smear when it fell off from me earlier, but after trying to wipe it at home, it seems to actually be some kind of scuff I can't quite comprehend. Kind of wish I knew how to apply the band better now cause for me it's a bit distracting especially to have something like that already.

For MK, I'd imagine they'll probably have the proper English names once the land officially opens.

Also, is no one gonna talk about how this is the first Universal ride in a looooong time that doesn't spray water on you?
This was also one of my first thoughts after getting off. It's nice.

Has anyone been able to spot any hidden Pikmin throughout the land? Or will this easter egg only specifically be at Universal Japan?
It seems like they are supposed to be there. There's a stamp for Pikmin after looking through them

Basically, they had to choose between the thrilling side of Mario Kart, or the actual "game" side of it to translate into reality. I think they made the right choice.
I also concur with this. It may not be a fast paced thing, but I still thought it was fun and well made for what they were going for. Besides, I have friends who don't like roller coasters, so I think this'll be fine for until we get DK, which absolutely should begin work on soon, hopefully.

Forgot to mention it, but hearing Toad speak full sentences for the first time since the GameCube era in the form of Chef Toad was a great thing for me.

Last edited:
So does anyone know how to clean the rubber/silicone parts of the band if possible? As I mentioned earlier, mine unfortunately did end up getting some kind of smear on one side of it from when it fell, and I'm stumped after seeing that wiping it with a wet wipe did nothing. It might be just me, but it's kind of distracting since the other side is unscathed, and it's right there if I just decide to look at my band with the M facing away from me so it looks good for photos.

The Smear/scuff is on the left part of this edge right here. Was a bit tricky to get on camera, but here it is.
VKkn9ak.jpg

hfbuSpp.jpg

For comparison, here's the other side.
1674078948048.png

Yeah, it still works, but I guess I'm just also a bit bugged that I damaged my band so early on, and I'm probably stuck with it since I feel like just like with video games and amiibo, you probably can't exchange or return a band anymore once opened. So assuming that's the case, any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Contemplating asking about what's the exchange policy on the 29th. This is why you keep your receipts folks.

Last edited:
The more I think about Toadstool Cafe's menu and how it's already off to a great start, the more I hope that they do eventually bring the Pizza Bowl and especially the Princess Peach cake. After looking at it, I do feel like it's the number one thing sorely missing, and I did my best to make that clear in the survey I took. Hope some more people who recently visited and also familiar with Japan's offerings did too.

I also think the Koopa Calzones should come too, I just wonder if they'll change the ingredients because of regional differences or have them coexist.

I just have some hope that we might have the power to make that come with survey input. Fingers crossed.

Got to go check out the land again during employee previews!

I enjoyed Mario Kart on my other two rides. Used the standby queue and waited 80 min to ride with my friends and then did single rider and waited five minutes. Thank you USH for single rider! Using the power band for the ride really enhanced the experience and allowed my to enjoy the interactive aspect a lot more. I was finally able to win the last couple of rides so that was nice.

I didn't think it was possible but I was able to enjoy the land even more my second time. Part of the fun for me was trying to revisit the coin blocks to get as many coins as I could. The interactive aspect was a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

I now love this ride. Thrilled to have something as cool as this in my back yard.

I hate to say this but I was incredibly underwhelmed by Super Nintendo World.

On both a creative and operations level, this land left me with so many questions. Why is Mario Kart a slow moving dark ride? Why is there nowhere to get food besides Toadstool Cafe (which was inaccessible after my 2 hour wait for Mario Kart). Why are there no shady, comfortable places to sit? Why are there hallways to nowhere with just a couple haphazardly placed blocks? Where is the attention to detail? It just felt janky and without much thought put behind it.

Universal Studios Hollywood is my most visited theme park ever. I've been to USH hundreds of times. I absolute adore it. The park has been headed in such a great direction ever since Transformers in 2012, but honestly.. this feels like their first major misfire. The severe lack in theme park knowledge that was applied to this land is astounding. There are so many apparent instances of poor craftsmanship from the shoddily disguised speaker cutouts to the exposed electrical conduit and visible steel frames holding up both the backdrop and the individual characters. And yes, I know that these are small things that shouldn't really impact the overall experience--but to me they do. It undermines what a true great themed experience is supposed to be. It feels as if people who have never been to a theme park designed this place. Perhaps it was put together in a hurry due to the quick shift in plans for the Lower Lot? Or maybe it was just budget cut to hell? Either way, it's unfortunate and out of character for Universal.

On a more macro level, the land really didn't have much to offer. Most of my party was both disappointed and confused by Mario Kart, especially after having trudged through the excruciatingly slow moving queue. This discourse has been explored heavily on the forums, so I won't go in to it too much, but it just isn't the home run it should have easily been. Most people I talked to found it solidly "okay". I will say though, the queue within Bowser's Castle was absolute phenomenal... if only the entire land had that level of care and detail. Frustratingly, the restaurant was at capacity, so I wasn't able to check it out or try the food--but it does look really well done. The lack of additional available food and beverage options like I mentioned previously was especially annoying. The only option was to leave... which we did.

I was very impressed by the interactive elements.10x better than what Disney did with Galaxy's Edge. There's tangible interaction, and the leaderboard system is a really cool way to bring a video game to life. More mini games would definitely help alleviate the long wait times that some of the games experienced.

Overall, I wouldn't call this one of Universal's best additions in recent years. It feels shoehorned into the park in a way that lacks any vision for the future, and was done so in the most budget friendly/time expediting manner possible. Really unfortunate, as I think Universal could have gone all out with revamping the Lower Lot like they had originally planned.

IMG_6130 Large.jpeg
IMG_6152 Large.jpegIMG_6140 Large.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 12.39.03 AM.png

I will definitely say that Mario Kart is quite the enigma of an attraction. Makes me wonder what the ride would look like if Nintendo was less hands-on, and more just making sure the quality is up to bar. I've never been so confused by the final product of a major theme park attraction.

But overall, yeah the land is too small. I think the overall layout is superior to Osaka's, but theres just not enough space.

Darkness my enemy.
unnamed.png

Last edited:
I do wonder if they should’ve just gotten more soundstages down to build the full version. From a far, this land does seem to be lacking. Most of it is just queue for a ride some people aren’t enjoying. I get the disappointments but I think Orlando will make up for it.

Kind of telling that even those looking forward to and excited by the land aren’t even negating and even welcome the criticisms of the land.

Kind of telling that even those looking forward to and excited by the land aren’t even negating and even welcome the criticisms of the land.

This feels like corporate politics more than anything else to me. Feels like someone said the land needs to be open by February. Everyone said cool heres the remaining construction timeline. Then someone else said, hey we need to get big wigs in in 3 days. Screw your construction timeline. Also, now it’s open to the GP because staff is trained.

All of that COULD happen for Epic, but we know:
1. We’re getting the most complete version of the land at open.
2. It is opening with a brand new park, instead of dealing with an existing/operating ecosystem.
3. NoA is clearly unhappy, and any cost cutting that may have occurred has time to be rectified.
4. I get the sense that Orlando always gets more budget than Hollywood.

About that, I may as well speak up, but is there anything wrong with how it might even be affecting my excitement for the land? On one hand, I can understand the criticism to some extent, but on the other I'm just partially in disbelief because I still managed to have such a great experience I spent hours in despite the size.

The land's also something we've all waited years for, and I just can't help but feel kind of disheartened as much as I understand the criticism about say, the size because despite us being the first to get a new land, we somehow got the short end of the stick once again, and what they tried to do despite it sadly doesn't seem to be cutting it for some.

I mentioned this on the other thread, but got no dice, and I'm no construction expert, but could they even still demo Panda and studio Cafe down the line to try and rectify things like say, once there's more attractions in the park or something like that? It's purely hypothetical, as I'm well aware closing off a part of the land for this would not do well for crowds.

If it's really that bad I'm honestly a tad worried about the future of the land. I know Chris said it shouldn't, but could things change on a dime if it's really really bad? I'd hate to see this become as reviled as Supercharged all because of some corporate mistakes that really seems to have bit them back hard.

I think maybe we should also remind ourselves that we’re still in softs.

Obviously nothing on a grand scale / macro level is getting changed but some of the tinier things we’re seeing — the stitches, so to speak — will likely get updated. There are signs all over the land warning people that not everything is finished. It’s possible a lot of the feedback will improve once it’s officially opened.

As for the generally negative reaction to the nature of the ride and smallness of the land — I think the best USH can hope for at this point is people maintaining interest up until the DK expansion. There are things they can do — adding more interactivity and other spot checks here and there to freshen things up — but at a certain point, it’s gonna be what it’s gonna be.

I think maybe we should also remind ourselves that we’re still in softs.

Obviously nothing on a grand scale / macro level is getting changed but some of the tinier things we’re seeing — the stitches, so to speak — will likely get updated. There are signs all over the land warning people that not everything is finished. It’s possible a lot of the feedback will improve once it’s officially opened.

As for the generally negative reaction to the nature of the ride and smallness of the land — I think the best USH can hope for at this point is people maintaining interest up until the DK expansion. There are things they can do — adding more interactivity and other spot checks here and there to freshen things up — but at a certain point, it’s gonna be what it’s gonna be.
I guess this seems about right. It's just that right now is a painful reminder that they made a huge mistake not tearing down Panda and studio Cafe for the land.

Reactions: chris.g