Super Nintendo World - Reviews, Photos, & Video (Spoilers) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World - Reviews, Photos, & Video (Spoilers)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If it's really that bad I'm honestly a tad worried about the future of the land. I know Chris said it shouldn't, but could things change on a dime if it's really really bad? I'd hate to see this become as reviled as Supercharged all because of some corporate mistakes that really seems to have bit them back hard.

I’m actually of the opposite mind. I’m thinking this will force their hand to rush DKC in order to alleviate concerns that this is it

I hate to say this but I was incredibly underwhelmed by Super Nintendo World.

On both a creative and operations level, this land left me with so many questions. Why is Mario Kart a slow moving dark ride? Why is there nowhere to get food besides Toadstool Cafe (which was inaccessible after my 2 hour wait for Mario Kart). Why are there no shady, comfortable places to sit? Why are there hallways to nowhere with just a couple haphazardly placed blocks? Where is the attention to detail? It just felt janky and without much thought put behind it.

Universal Studios Hollywood is my most visited theme park ever. I've been to USH hundreds of times. I absolute adore it. The park has been headed in such a great direction ever since Transformers in 2012, but honestly.. this feels like their first major misfire. The severe lack in theme park knowledge that was applied to this land is astounding. There are so many apparent instances of poor craftsmanship from the shoddily disguised speaker cutouts to the exposed electrical conduit and visible steel frames holding up both the backdrop and the individual characters. And yes, I know that these are small things that shouldn't really impact the overall experience--but to me they do. It undermines what a true great themed experience is supposed to be. It feels as if people who have never been to a theme park designed this place. Perhaps it was put together in a hurry due to the quick shift in plans for the Lower Lot? Or maybe it was just budget cut to hell? Either way, it's unfortunate and out of character for Universal.

On a more macro level, the land really didn't have much to offer. Most of my party was both disappointed and confused by Mario Kart, especially after having trudged through the excruciatingly slow moving queue. This discourse has been explored heavily on the forums, so I won't go in to it too much, but it just isn't the home run it should have easily been. Most people I talked to found it solidly "okay". I will say though, the queue within Bowser's Castle was absolute phenomenal... if only the entire land had that level of care and detail. Frustratingly, the restaurant was at capacity, so I wasn't able to check it out or try the food--but it does look really well done. The lack of additional available food and beverage options like I mentioned previously was especially annoying. The only option was to leave... which we did.

I was very impressed by the interactive elements.10x better than what Disney did with Galaxy's Edge. There's tangible interaction, and the leaderboard system is a really cool way to bring a video game to life. More mini games would definitely help alleviate the long wait times that some of the games experienced.

Overall, I wouldn't call this one of Universal's best additions in recent years. It feels shoehorned into the park in a way that lacks any vision for the future, and was done so in the most budget friendly/time expediting manner possible. Really unfortunate, as I think Universal could have gone all out with revamping the Lower Lot like they had originally planned.

View attachment 18239
View attachment 18242View attachment 18240
View attachment 18243

Honestly I feel very similarly to this. I enjoyed my time while in the land but overall it was just... alright. Mario Kart moves way too slow for a ride that's supposed to simulate racing (at least in my opinion). Also, if you don't buy the $40 power band, there's not much for you to do in the land besides the 1 ride. Seems like Wizarding World has way more stuff for you to do from shops to food to rides.

BUT with that said, I'm still happy to have a new land at the park!

Reactions: Pacific
For those who know him - Maximilian Dood got to go to SNW and acknowledged the land was in tech reversals and even goes as far as to say despite this he loved the land... except for Mario Kart. He felt it detracted him with its focus on the AR and that it was not the type of engagement he expected on the ride. Like other GP have mentioned as well, he would have preferred something like Radiator Springs Racers at DCA

For those who know him - Maximilian Dood got to go to SNW and acknowledged the land was in tech reversals and even goes as far as to say despite this he loved the land... except for Mario Kart. He felt it detracted him with its focus on the AR and that it was not the type of engagement he expected on the ride. Like other GP have mentioned as well, he would have preferred something like Radiator Springs Racers at DCA

Not familiar with him, but I decide to skim through some of the video, and watch the parts where he talks about the land overall but was mainly interested in his take in MK. This one quote I felt was VERY interesting and I think perfectly articulates what some
of us of us feel.

“I don’t feel like the ride is engaging me, I feel like I have to engage the ride”

I’m gonna be real, he described perfectly how I felt on my first ride. I so badly wanted to take everything in and enjoy the ride, but I was constantly bombarded with the game that was forced in front of me with the AR. I did enjoy it more on my second and third rides because I was able to enjoy it for what it was: a high-tech interactive ride.

Haven't seen anyone talk about it, but I really like the turning part of the game and how successful turns actually add to the ride experience. I learned that when the ride breaks down you can move the wheel and the car will actually jerk a little in the direction you move it.

Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
I wonder if you turn correctly at the right time you get a little extra drift? Would be an insensitive to play along more.

Spoiler alert

You can take the glasses off and have a fun time
Also after the first few rides, you get used to how busy it is.

But the idea of this taking up even half the land up that the cars racers ride is just a dream and if going 30 miles per hour is a requirement to have a good time go to the 6+ parks that offer that or wait 3 years

like We have know for 4+ years this was a dark ride and the fact everyone online wants thrills shows me the disconnect between the GE audience and us.

everyone online complains about wanting original movies but when A24 puts films out after years of buzz and awards people choose a avatar 2 and top gun 2 (also the MCU)

so just a reminder that hardcore fans don’t always have the pulse on people enjoyment and everyone I’ve talked to in land, cast members and friends that bought APs and power bands just for this land beg to differ

not saying we can wish for things but if people thing this ride would show how he better because it was fast at the end of the ride, then enjoy the other parts because the ride is very detailed and both in game and on sets there are a ton of Easter eggs

Two coasters are on the way, you need every ride to be a thrill ride? It’s a park for everyone not just 20-40 year olds with good health

Spoiler alert

You can take the glasses off and have a fun time
Also after the first few rides, you get used to how busy it is.

But the idea of this taking up even half the land up that the cars racers ride is just a dream and if going 30 miles per hour is a requirement to have a good time go to the 6+ parks that offer that or wait 3 years

like We have know for 4+ years this was a dark ride and the fact everyone online wants thrills shows me the disconnect between the GE audience and us.

everyone online complains about wanting original movies but when A24 puts films out after years of buzz and awards people choose a avatar 2 and top gun 2 (also the MCU)

so just a reminder that hardcore fans don’t always have the pulse on people enjoyment and everyone I’ve talked to in land, cast members and friends that bought APs and power bands just for this land beg to differ

not saying we can wish for things but if people thing this ride would show how he better because it was fast at the end of the ride, then enjoy the other parts because the ride is very detailed and both in game and on sets there are a ton of Easter eggs

Two coasters are on the way, you need every ride to be a thrill ride? It’s a park for everyone not just 20-40 year olds with good health
Again though, you go fast in Mario Kart. Its a racing game. You don't have to be a hardcore fan to be puzzled by the attraction's speed.

Again though, you go fast in Mario Kart. Its a racing game. You don't have to be a hardcore fan to be puzzled by the attraction's speed.
So where do you put this massive ride? Is it themed or just projection mapping?

The mummy ride has zeroooo to do with the films but people love it, I mean most Universal rides are characters you like but have zero to do with the movie.

I guess they could have a generic mario Ride but those are platforms so fans would be upset when your not jumping platform to platform.

Its such a nitpick to me its a dark ride, judge it against other dark rides. We have known for 4+ years what this is and people still can't get over its not just some stupid coaster with mario music playing. If you want that put in headphones and ride any coaster and there you have it a mario kart coaster

I'm judging the ride on is it detailed? Is the interactive stuff fun?

Its very detailed from the Q to the ride, especially if you take the glasses off and the first go the ride is alot but once you get the hang of it, its really fun finding all the secrets and some are really hard to complete like the ones in Luigi Mansion section.

Is people's favorite part of Splash really the drop? Its cool but I love the ride as a whole and without the drop it would have been a great ride still. I'd rather this then the Mummy where its half kinda themed then a dark room

So where do you put this massive ride? Is it themed or just projection mapping?

The mummy ride has zeroooo to do with the films but people love it, I mean most Universal rides are characters you like but have zero to do with the movie.

I guess they could have a generic mario Ride but those are platforms so fans would be upset when your not jumping platform to platform.

Its such a nitpick to me its a dark ride, judge it against other dark rides. We have known for 4+ years what this is and people still can't get over its not just some stupid coaster with mario music playing. If you want that put in headphones and ride any coaster and there you have it a mario kart coaster

I'm judging the ride on is it detailed? Is the interactive stuff fun?

Its very detailed from the Q to the ride, especially if you take the glasses off and the first go the ride is alot but once you get the hang of it, its really fun finding all the secrets and some are really hard to complete like the ones in Luigi Mansion section.

Is people's favorite part of Splash really the drop? Its cool but I love the ride as a whole and without the drop it would have been a great ride still. I'd rather this then the Mummy where its half kinda themed then a dark room
I truly, truly, love this ride. I think UC did a fantastic job on it, and it will become a must-ride for me every time I go to the park. But I also have to accept that just like some people don't like Forbidden Journey, not everyone is gonna like this ride. I think people should ride it before weighing in their full thoughts, but we can't pretend like every single person who's ridden it likes it. And to convince people that they should like something they don't just seems a little ridiculous

I truly, truly, love this ride. I think UC did a fantastic job on it, and it will become a must-ride for me every time I go to the park. But I also have to accept that just like some people don't like Forbidden Journey, not everyone is gonna like this ride. I think people should ride it before weighing in their full thoughts, but we can't pretend like every single person who's ridden it likes it. And to convince people that they should like something they don't just seems a little ridiculous
I'm just pointing out how werid is that speed is more important then theming, fun and is the ride for families? Also how the logic doesn't hold up that speed would make this ride better

Potter ride not liked by people? Lol, I don't want to live on this planet any more thats a fantastic ride as well. And people on here think I like to complain

I guess they could have a generic mario Ride but those are platforms so fans would be upset when you’re not jumping platform to platform.
I would argue that the “jumping from platform to platform” is a lot of people’s least favorite part of Mario games lol. People love the characters, color pallets, scenery, and music.

We have known for 4+ years what this is and people still can't get over its not just some stupid coaster with mario music playing. If you want that put in headphones and ride any coaster and there you have it a mario kart coaster
I think you’re misjudging what Universal Creative is capable of given what they’re working with. No one said they had to go with a coaster design. What they have built with MK is a fantastic piece of tech but the argument is will the GP be dissatisfied given the IP? Consider that most of the GP haven’t been keeping up with the details on this ride the way you have.

I'm just pointing out how werid is that speed is more important then theming, fun and is the ride for families? Also how the logic doesn't hold up that speed would make this ride better
It can go fast and be a ride for families — they aren’t mutually exclusive. Speed is an essential element of MK and it is not represented at all in a theme park attraction that bares its name. Again (in my opinion) it’s not about quality; MK is a great attraction but the question is, is this a poor use of the property and will the GP feel dissatisfied, based on the expectations that have been set? What expectations have been set?

Okay and if they had made a ride that went faster but just had you racing each other, people would then complain that it's not like the game because they weren't able to shoot shells at other racers.
Not necessarily? I’m hearing a lot of talk that suggests that the ride has to be one thing and not another. Anything is possible, and to me the speed of a kart race is more important than shooting; I suspect I’m not alone in that.

Okay and if they had made a ride that went faster but just had you racing each other, people would then complain that it's not like the game because they weren't able to shoot shells at other racers.
This 100%. Mario Kart isn’t a typical racing game or kart driving experience, it’s supposed to be a fun party game. It would be literally impossible to translate the Mario Kart experience 1 to 1 to a theme park. If they decided to make the ride super fast, there would be a very limited amount of people who would be able to handle the item aspect on top of that. I’m glad they went with highlighting the experience that makes Mario Kart a unique game.

OK. Thread is cleaned up. A majority were moved to the general SNW thread. Some were deleted.

Remember: This thread is for photo updates, videos, and reviews of Super Nintendo World. Please keep all chit-chat and asides to the General Discussion thread; replies to reviews are welcome but if the discussion expands and continues on then please move it to the General Discussion thread.

NOTE: This thread will contain spoilers for all aspects of the land, attraction, and more; including (but not limited to) the queue, storyline, special effects, secrets, and more. Do not read further if you do not wish to be spoiled. Consider this the last warning.