Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Studio Tour

so now that there is some free space in the lower lot ,could the studio tour be headed downstairs? is the current studio tour area large enough for at least one attraction and some shops?

It's possible. The removal of soundstages 22-25 and 28 freed up apprioximately 3.5 acres of land. The current layout of the Studio Tour loading area and the tram garage takes up roughly the same amount of space, depending on how much land you include around the buildings themselves. Even if they only moved the loading area, it would free up about as much space as Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem and the neighboring Super Silly Fun Land (approx. 1.75 acres). So, enough for at least one relatively large attraction and some other fun stuff. I'd just be worried about the timeline of events. Because they'd have to get the new loading area ready and open before they could close the old one and then tear down the old one and then build something new. If they're racing against Disney's Pew Pew Land, I'm not sure that time investment would really be worth it.

so now that there is some free space in the lower lot ,could the studio tour be headed downstairs? is the current studio tour area large enough for at least one attraction and some shops?

It's definitely possible. If the Studio Tour is moving so soon the question would now have to be asked, is Uni planning on expanding both the lower lot and upper lot at the same time? That would be amazing.

A while back someone this board (i think ) made a mockup of how a Lord of the Rings/Hobbit attraction could look in that area. I really hope universal does something with the property i'm not sure if they acquired the theme park rights. anyways expanding both will be great for the park, it wont really create congestion  since both one of the areas is already of limits.

A while back someone this board (i think ) made a mockup of how a Lord of the Rings/Hobbit attraction could look in that area. I really hope universal does something with the property i'm not sure if they acquired the theme park rights. anyways expanding both will be great for the park, it wont really create congestion  since both one of the areas is already of limits.

They have not acquired the theme park rights to J.R.R. Tolkien's stories in general.

It's been hotly rumored, but nothing has come out of it; besides the potential ability of Warner Bros going to court with the Estate on the usage of the rights for theme park usage.

If anything, whatever would replace the current Studio Tour location; could theoretically be an expansion of the Wizarding Wor

it will be nice to see  hollywood get an original new HP ride instead of diagon alley. It will even motivate more new guest  to visit USH if that was to happen

Someone pointed out online that the Gyrosphere on the Studio Tour now has a 'pulled for production' sign and the vehicle is absent from the tour.

In other news, I believe Earthquake to be going under a slight refurb in the near future. This is not official, strictly hearsay from drivers/guides. But after having prop pieces literally fall onto the floor from being jostled so much (prop lights, worker scaffold, payphone), I believe a refurb is in the near future for the attraction.

As one of the few attractions at the park to work nearly flawlessly consistent (minus the electrical arcs) for years and years, it still seems to have a few minor issues that regular upkeep would mitigate. The biggest issues that come to mind are actually quite minor, just prop pieces (which are moved to coincide with the movement of the tram), falling from their mounts and falling to the ground.

I'm aware several of the lights on the far platform had fallen from their tripods long ago, but pieces closer to the tram such as the cable that lowers the scaffold that tips over during the "water main breakage" has actually snapped mid-day. I took a tram about a month ago at park-open and again around 4:00PM and the cable had snapped in that short period of time and the scaffold was laying across the platform. It's not a danger to guests, but it is a large, non-working prop pieces.

Not to throw Universal under the bus (again), but maintenance and tech svcs seem to let attractions such as Earthquake get really bad before they decide to work on it instead of working on it to do preventative maintenance. Thank you to Cowmissing for clarifying that there are, in fact, new TS members joining, hopefully things change.

Rant and ramble over :)
Best,
-CW

In other news, I believe Earthquake to be going under a slight refurb in the near future. This is not official, strictly hearsay from drivers/guides. But after having prop pieces literally fall onto the floor from being jostled so much (prop lights, worker scaffold, payphone), I believe a refurb is in the near future for the attraction.

As one of the few attractions at the park to work nearly flawlessly consistent (minus the electrical arcs) for years and years, it still seems to have a few minor issues that regular upkeep would mitigate. The biggest issues that come to mind are actually quite minor, just prop pieces (which are moved to coincide with the movement of the tram), falling from their mounts and falling to the ground.

I'm aware several of the lights on the far platform had fallen from their tripods long ago, but pieces closer to the tram such as the cable that lowers the scaffold that tips over during the "water main breakage" has actually snapped mid-day. I took a tram about a month ago at park-open and again around 4:00PM and the cable had snapped in that short period of time and the scaffold was laying across the platform. It's not a danger to guests, but it is a large, non-working prop pieces.

Not to throw Universal under the bus (again), but maintenance and tech svcs seem to let attractions such as Earthquake get really bad before they decide to work on it instead of working on it to do preventative maintenance. Thank you to Cowmissing for clarifying that there are, in fact, new TS members joining, hopefully things change.

Rant and ramble over :)
Best,
-CW
Be thankful most of it works. Here in Florida at "Disaster" 80% of the effects were dead two years before closing.

PARK LAKE IS STILL THERE!!! (....for now)..

L9ooJCE.jpg

I wish that they would have designed the new backlot area to allow for Park Lake to stay, even though we lost the "Parting of the Red Sea". The concept art on the banner signage is nice, but it'd be even nicer with Park Lake next to the new soundstages instead.