Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Strange World

I sure hope it's not a movie anchored by a genuine and insightful emotional conflict in the beginning and ending only to devolve into a road trip comedy with loosely connected comedic scenes riffing on the film's universe.

So the recent trailer release for Puss in Boots: The Last Wish reminded me of something, that film has been bouncing around on the radar and generating a nice bit of buzz, especially after the preview at this year's Annecy. It's a good consistent thing to have as that film is coming out next month.

Meanwhile for Strange World, I've essentially heard Jack Diddly about this film, and it comes out next week. I know the film premieres tonight, but folks have been noticing this film really doesn't have an advertising campaign going on. It feels like this is on the way to tanking and getting dumped to D+ rather quickly.

I'm seeing it because A list.....but wonder if this will even be a hit on Disney plus. It has no music and kinda looks like the Buzz movie from earlier this year

I hope its good but with what I feel like is almost no effort to hype this film up, its hard to know why Disney is making all these films just to kinda crap them out and then move on to the next film by Disney coming out

I'm seeing it because A list.....but wonder if this will even be a hit on Disney plus. It has no music and kinda looks like the Buzz movie from earlier this year

I hope its good but with what I feel like is almost no effort to hype this film up, its hard to know why Disney is making all these films just to kinda crap them out and then move on to the next film by Disney coming out
My gut feeling is they’re using Studio financing to make what they consider Disney+ original content. Disney+ doesn’t have the money to make these movies themselves while the studio stays afloat on Marvel alone. If I was CEO that’s how I’d do it anyway.

My gut feeling is they’re using Studio financing to make what they consider Disney+ original content. Disney+ doesn’t have the money to make these movies themselves while the studio stays afloat on Marvel alone. If I was CEO that’s how I’d do it anyway.
Makes sense but then its confusing how the Disney Plus App is losing money....while literally gaining content for "free" from other sources

Disney should find a way to partner with AMC/Regal and get first episodes and finales in theaters to make some money then
It would only be a tiny amount of money though and would defeat the purpose of series being exclusive to the platform.

Movies though? I fully believe many D+ movies would do at the very least okay box office. Rescue Rangers, Hocus Pocus 2, Disenchanted, Hamilton, Soul, Luca, Turning Red, etc.

It would only be a tiny amount of money though and would defeat the purpose of series being exclusive to the platform.

Movies though? I fully believe many D+ movies would do at the very least okay box office. Rescue Rangers, Hocus Pocus 2, Disenchanted, Hamilton, Soul, Luca, Turning Red, etc.

I'm still not over them pulling Turning Red from theaters. The trailers were getting good reactions from folks in theaters, and it would've done fine in theaters as well. (And that would've quickly bypassed/shut down any rabble online. Films tend to do that if they do fine in theaters.) But the Pixar film they chose to first put back in theaters and pumped a big ad campaign in on was Lightyear, and that bombed on the spot.

Woof... initial reviews are out and this film is only at a 73%. The initial wave of reviews is usually the most positive so this score is likely to go down significantly still. No reason Disney isn't pushing this movie too heavily.

What a beautiful movie. The animation is stunning. The world designed and built is a feast for the eyes. The score is gorgeous, ethereal, and lush.

At its core, it’s a simple and heartfelt story about family. Father and son. Parental expectations, fear of failure, and pride. There are inclusive elements that do not feel forced, and remain natural. Very well placed, enhancing the movie.

The message about working in harmony with our world, and the final homage to the story of turtle island with that last zoom out, beautiful and important.

Simply put, a great family friendly adventure film. Another great entry to the Disney canon, and well worth a visit to your local cinema.

What a beautiful movie. The animation is stunning. The world designed and built is a feast for the eyes. The score is gorgeous, ethereal, and lush.

At its core, it’s a simple and heartfelt story about family. Father and son. Parental expectations, fear of failure, and pride. There are inclusive elements that do not feel forced, and remain natural. Very well placed, enhancing the movie.

The message about working in harmony with our world, and the final homage to the story of turtle island with that last zoom out, beautiful and important.

Simply put, a great family friendly adventure film. Another great entry to the Disney canon, and well worth a visit to your local cinema.
I’ll wait until Disney+ unless I see it with A list when I see Avatar. Sounds like a solid movie though.

Opened to only $18.6M domestic (for the Five day!) and $27.8M worldwide on a in total on a $180M budget. Another big animation flop from WDAS or Pixar. Of course there was no marketing for this movie so that's a small part, but many, Iger has some big fixes to do with the animation departments in returning them to being profitable studios.

Step one should be to stop spending ridiculous amounts of money on these films, but also like, just do simple things like not making the films DOA by just dropping them in the theater with limited to no marketing and also just let them play too, never dump them on streaming again, and stop sending the movies to streaming after 30 days. People have caught tf on. I know I did a long while ago about Disney's stragegy about when films hit theaters and barely see anything they put in theaters anymore when I used to see almost every animated release in theaters.

Why did I change? Because if I know a film is gonna be on Disney+ 30 days later, why would I spend $50 or so going to a theater. I only go to theaters to see franchise releases these days. I'd love to support other movies, but the theater I frequent most (Universal CityWalk) changed from an AMC so I can't use A-List there anymore and I pay for too many streaming/monthly services these days and am trying to cut down since I realized i'm spending a ton of money and barely watching anything on most services.

Opened to only $18.6M domestic (for the Five day!) and $27.8M worldwide on a in total on a $180M budget. Another big animation flop from WDAS or Pixar. Of course there was no marketing for this movie so that's a small part, but many, Iger has some big fixes to do with the animation departments in returning them to being profitable studios.

Step one should be to stop spending ridiculous amounts of money on these films, but also like, just do simple things like not making the films DOA by just dropping them in the theater with limited to no marketing and also just let them, never dump them on streaming again, and stop sending the movies to streaming after 30 days. People have caught tf on. I know I did a long while ago about Disney's stragegy about when films hit theaters and barely see anything they put in theaters anymore when I used to see almost every animated release in theaters.

Why did I change? Because if I know a film is gonna be on Disney+ 30 days later, why would I spend $50 or so going to a theater. I only go to theaters to see franchise releases these days. I'd love to support other movies, but the theater I frequent most (Universal CityWalk) changed from an AMC so I can't use A-List there anymore and I pay for too many streaming/monthly services these days and am trying to cut down since I realized i'm not spending a ton of money and barely watching anything on most services.

They really need to give it the "Top Gun: Maverick" approach to release, which is release in theaters but *don't say* when it'll drop on streaming. When folks don't know when they can essentially see it for less (or downright free if they already have the streaming service), there's a chance they'll be more likely to see it in theaters. And if the film is doing well, just keep in theaters and ride that wave.

i never heard or saw anything about this at all and only know it exists because of the articles talking about the flop now