Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
No, if JJ hadn't ignored TLJ none of these problems would exist.

Snoke being around wouldn't have changed things from being a boring rehash of ROTJ, because that's what JJ does. He rehashes better movies.

Well, All im saying is, leave the last jedi as it is, everything as it is,

And just keep snoke alive.... Then This would fix the plot holes AND JJ wouldnt have to ignore the last jedi or do fan service.

A lot of the plot holes and a lot of the problems with the movie and the ending of this movie are all due to Palpatine .
Theres just no way around it. Palpatine coming back not only ruins this trilogy but it ruins the ending of return if the jedi.
Vader's sacrifice is ruined now, having palpatine coming back messes up this trilogy and the original one.

Palatine showing up now raises too many problems that could have been avoided by leaving snoke alive.

Thats the only real problem i had with the last jedi. I dont care for anything else, but snoke's death broke the whole trilogy.

no because people who saw the film broke it down to me.

I’m sure the trilogy makes no sense now that JJ went off and pretended TLJ didn’t exist. I’ll
Probably just stop future rewatches at TLJ. Sounds like a better ending than what we got, even with the plot not technically “wrapped up”
Jar-Jar Abrams

Reactions: Mad Dog
Having seen the movie twice now, I can say that there is no merit to saying Rian somehow mucked up a grand plan of JJ’s, because not only does this movie undo a good deal of TLJ, it also undoes a good deal of TFA, and a lot of the “twists” retroactively make a lot of the OT characters into cowards, idiots, or both.

Even in a vacuum, the constant reversal of consequences and sacrifices gives off a feeling that there are absolutely no stakes in the entire thing.

Objectively, this movie is not nearly as bad as the prequels, but it ultimately has nothing to say, and that combined with how plainly it seems to despise it’s predecessors almost makes it worse for me.

Having seen the movie twice now, I can say that there is no merit to saying Rian somehow mucked up a grand plan of JJ’s, because not only does this movie undo a good deal of TLJ, it also undoes a good deal of TFA, and a lot of the “twists” retroactively make a lot of the OT characters into cowards, idiots, or both.

Even in a vacuum, the constant reversal of consequences and sacrifices gives off a feeling that there are absolutely no stakes in the entire thing.

Objectively, this movie is not nearly as bad as the prequels, but it ultimately has nothing to say, and that combined with how plainly it seems to despise it’s predecessors almost makes it worse for me.
It’s like dimensional tv from Rick & Morty

That was a big problem I had with it... what was the point of a lot of it (besides making money)? Look at Infinity War and Endgame - The stakes are INCREDIBLY high. This trilogy went out on a wimper comparably.

That was a big problem I had with it... what was the point of a lot of it (besides making money)? Look at Infinity War and Endgame? The stakes are INCREDIBLY high. This trilogy went out on a wimper comparably.
To me, the film really starts going downhill when
Chewbacca dies, and then doesn’t die, but then the characters mourn him and vow to do things in his honor when the audience already knows he’s not dead.
That rinses and repeats so many times, where a character does something surprising or bold, and then the script goes out of it’s way to reverse it as quickly as possible, all the way through to the end.

Even
Rey being a Palpatine is undercut in the movie itself by Palpatine, who spends ten minutes taunting her about being a Dark side kid, but then says “how could a scavenger from Jakku hope to defeat me?” Did he just forget that he just spent the last three monologues talking about how she’s his literal heir to the throne?

I mean, at a certain point the movie stops contradicting the other movies and turns on itself, and not even to drive home a point. It’s WILD that this movie made it to release in this form, and even wilder that JJ had the gall to drag Rian through the mud about continuity on the press tour.

Reactions: JunoSynth
I’m going to keep repeating - the original trilogy had three directors. Rian wasn’t the problem. It was the fact that he was allowed to write the story for the movie as if this was his own original film. They needed an overarching vision and they would’ve been fine.

Case in point- how many different directors did the marvel run have? Yet it’s simultaneously 15-20 individual stories, all telling one huge story.

A couple little inconsistencies here and there, but nothing glaring.

It’s all about the overall vision, and there was none for 7/8/9.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Nick
To me, the film really starts going downhill when
Chewbacca dies, and then doesn’t die, but then the characters mourn him and vow to do things in his honor when the audience already knows he’s not dead.
That rinses and repeats so many times, where a character does something surprising or bold, and then the script goes out of it’s way to reverse it as quickly as possible, all the way through to the end.

Even
Rey being a Palpatine is undercut in the movie itself by Palpatine, who spends ten minutes taunting her about being a Dark side kid, but then says “how could a scavenger from Jakku hope to defeat me?” Did he just forget that he just spent the last three monologues talking about how she’s his literal heir to the throne?

I mean, at a certain point the movie stops contradicting the other movies and turns on itself, and not even to drive home a point. It’s WILD that this movie made it to release in this form, and even wilder that JJ had the gall to drag Rian through the mud about continuity on the press tour.
I agree on your first point totally. That was dumb. However...

The second I think he was just saying she's the heir to the thrown (which she was), but it can also be true that, while being the heir to the Palpatine throne, she grew up as nothing but a scavenger from Jakku.

Ok let's go down the list

Luke wanting to be found - tossed out
Luke's lightsaber - tossed out literally
Rey's backstory - tossed out
Finn character growth - tossed out
Snoke's importance and identity - tossed out
General Hux being a good, possibly scary villain - tossed out (for really bad humor)
Kylo's helmet - tossed out
Phasma's (possible) death - tossed out
Admiral Ackbar - given a death off screen, barely a mention for fans

....to name a few

I’m shocked no one ever mentions that Phasma betrayed the whole starkiller base and first order in TFA.

Didn’t she cave like a coward and give them some kind of computer or security access at gun point? Allowing the destruction of the base and death of thousands of first orderites?

Then she’s back in as some kind of high ranking leader.

Am I remembering that wrong?

Having seen the movie twice now, I can say that there is no merit to saying ]\Rian somehow mucked up a grand plan of JJ’s, because not only does this movie undo a good deal of TLJ, it also undoes a good deal of TFA, and a lot of the “twists” retroactively make a lot of the OT characters into cowards, idiots, or both.

the only true villain here is JJ lol

Rian would have been perfect directing a movie like SOLO or Rogue one, he would have shined in a spin off, while a better writer than JJ should have taken all 3 movies........... ugh.....

the only true villain here is JJ lol

But who was the person or persons who wanted JJ as director in the first place? They need to shoulder a hefty amount of responsibility.

Rian would have been perfect directing a movie like SOLO or Rogue one, he would have shined in a spin off, while a better writer than JJ should have taken all 3 movies........... ugh.....

Agreed, he is a talented director, Knives out is fantastic.
What irks me about TLJ is the stupidity, it's like Rian was remaking Spaceballs and not Star Wars, outside of that it's a beautiful looking movie with some great scenes, but it has been made almost entirely pointless by JJ.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
Well, All im saying is, leave the last jedi as it is, everything as it is,

And just keep snoke alive.... Then This would fix the plot holes AND JJ wouldnt have to ignore the last jedi or do fan service.

A lot of the plot holes and a lot of the problems with the movie and the ending of this movie are all due to Palpatine .
Theres just no way around it. Palpatine coming back not only ruins this trilogy but it ruins the ending of return if the jedi.
Vader's sacrifice is ruined now, having palpatine coming back messes up this trilogy and the original one.

Palatine showing up now raises too many problems that could have been avoided by leaving snoke alive.

Thats the only real problem i had with the last jedi. I dont care for anything else, but snoke's death broke the whole trilogy.
But like, the point I’m trying to make is, he didn’t need Snoke OR Palpatine to make a competent film. He just felt like he needed to because his whole shtick is remaking better movies.

To personally chime in, as I've been spoiled to hell and back thanks to the wonders of social media; and I'm going to try to keep an open mind for seeing myself..but, it sounds like a hellish fanfiction gone wrong in the writing.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
This thread just makes me want to vomit with the over reactionary opinions. I can barely see straight from my eyes rolling in infinite loop to hit “post reply”.

Reactions: fryoj
This thread just makes me want to vomit with the over reactionary opinions. I can barely see straight from my eyes rolling in infinite loop to hit “post reply”.
Then literally stop reading this thread and degrading others opinions as you CONSTANTLY do. It’s easy to not read a thread.

Edit: Also, if anything your comment is one of the most over reactionary posts in this entire thread. Seriously chill dude

Then literally stop reading this thread and degrading others opinions as you CONSTANTLY do. It’s easy to not read a thread.

I clicked it on accident , and brief comments I read, was so bad I had to comment. JJ is a villain now? Lol...ok folks. I’ve no time to argue with such nonsense.
Have fun with your opinions.

Additionally, in a way; people can have differing opinions and it wouldn't be the end of the world. Especially that in the end of the day, movies like Rise of Skywalker are great to see how different people react to it.

If you don't like the opinions, then that's fine! But it's not worth it to be harsh in reaction to what we post.

__
As I stated, I do intend on seeing this film as open-minded as I can get. But as of the moment, I am..increasingly not excited to see this in a theater. At-least I'll go in, knowing to have low expectations (to then possibly be surprised on).