Star Wars: New Jedi Council | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: New Jedi Council

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!

Announced alongside the Filoni film and Dawn of The Jedi, an all new film set 15 years after Rise of Skywalker is now underway. Directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, and to be written by Steven Knight; will be focusing on Rey as she is set to rebuild the Jedi Order after the events from the Sequel Trilogy. From Jeff Snider alongside others, this seems to be the 2025 Star Wars film; as a continuation of the Sequel Trilogy proper (with rumors I believe of Oscar Issac and John Boyega also returning for the project a while back).

Announced alongside the Filoni film and Dawn of The Jedi, an all new film set 15 years after Rise of Skywalker is now underway. Directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, and to be written by Steven Knight; will be focusing on Rey as she is set to rebuild the Jedi Order after the events from the Sequel Trilogy. From Jeff Snider alongside others, this seems to be the 2025 Star Wars film; as a continuation of the Sequel Trilogy proper (with rumors I believe of Oscar Issac and John Boyega also returning for the project a while back).
If they actually have a plan for it, i'm down for it. Just don't wing it like last time and make sure that they're of quality.

If they actually have a plan for it, i'm down for it. Just don't wing it like last time and make sure that they're of quality.

I’m optimistic on it, if only because they can’t screw this up further than it already has.

I do wonder though if they may try and push for Teen Grogu to appear here though

I’m optimistic on it, if only because they can’t screw this up further than it already has.

I do wonder though if they may try and push for Teen Grogu to appear here though
I mean, you'd think Grogu will be in it right? He's a cash cow. He'll almost definitely be in the Filoni film as the capper to the Filoni-verse and then age him up to help rebuild the Jedi.

Plus, with the sequel films being controversial to say the least (although I enjoyed everything until TRoS), they are going to need someone like Grogu in this movie to get people excited.

EDIT:
Fandom already going completely negative on this in the comment on twitter. Read through and it's just negative after negative. This makes this a super risky film to make as a good chunk of the audience they had for the sequel trilogy simply won't show up for this movie.

Last edited:

Love him or hate him, Disney gadfly WDWPro has been on a hot streak with his rumors lately. (New Rey-focused film, new Potter show on HBO Max, Nintendo Cinematic Universe already fast-tracked, new resort by Grand ...).

A month or two ago he reported this movie's core cast would be Rey, Grogu, Chewie, R2D2 and a new character.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Love him or hate him, Disney gadfly WDWPro has been on a hot streak with his rumors lately. (New Rey-focused film, new Potter show on HBO Max, Nintendo Cinematic Universe already fast-tracked, new resort by Grand ...).

A month or two ago he reported this movie's core cast would be Rey, Grogu, Chewie, R2D2 and a new character.
Wouldn't you want John Boyega's Finn in there too since apparently he's a force user as well?

Reactions: SeventyOne
Wouldn't you want John Boyega's Finn in there too since apparently he's a force user as well?

I would simply because he's a very good actor, but I'm only repeating the rumor. Also this doesn't rule out a potential role for him, just not in the core adventuring party.

I have no interest in this whatsoever and am honestly surprised they're going to the well with Rey, with all things considered.

Reactions: Freak
I have no interest in this whatsoever and am honestly surprised they're going to the well with Rey, with all things considered.
I'm extremely surprised they are as well considering how controversial the sequels were. I'm fine with them continuing forward but would've preferred a time jump of about 50 to 100 years.

Now this all said i'm still interested as long as there's a solid story. However, do I believe that Rey is a Jedi Master that - with her limited training (although this is 15 years later) - is the one to rebuild the Jedi? This movie will only be saved by Grogu being in it as far as commercial appeal.

A more interesting movie that i'd have liked to see if they were going to go back to this well would've been a Finn focused movie considering how poorly his character was treated in the three movies and they could've played off of the unexplained force powers while also doing flashbacks to his days as a stormtrooper.

That's potentially more of a Disney+ show than movie, but it seems more interesting than Rey, Grogu, Chewie, and R2 rebuilding the jedi.

I'm extremely surprised they are as well considering how controversial the sequels were. I'm fine with them continuing forward but would've preferred a time jump of about 50 to 100 years.

Now this all said i'm still interested as long as there's a solid story. However, do I believe that Rey is a Jedi Master that - with her limited training (although this is 15 years later) - is the one to rebuild the Jedi? This movie will only be saved by Grogu being in it as far as commercial appeal.

A more interesting movie that i'd have liked to see if they were going to go back to this well would've been a Finn focused movie considering how poorly his character was treated in the three movies and they could've played off of the unexplained force powers while also doing flashbacks to his days as a stormtrooper.

That's potentially more of a Disney+ show than movie, but it seems more interesting than Rey, Grogu, Chewie, and R2 rebuilding the jedi.
I personally think they need to move on completely from any Skywalker connections. Disney trying to tie Mando back to the films so much has hurt the series, IMO.

I personally think they need to move on completely from any Skywalker connections. Disney trying to tie Mando back to the films so much has hurt the series, IMO.
I don't think that's what has hurt the series. The Luke episodes have been great for example.

The thing that has hurt the series is that they clearly wanted to spend a season with Grogu and Mando apart and were forced to bring them back together early in Book of Boba Fett because Grogu is a money machine. That one decision alone has ruined The Mandalorian and it forced them to throw out an entire script for season 3 and have to rewrite the season and we got a crap fest (and Grogu isn't even being used much!)

I do agree they need to move away from Skywalker connections though. It just causes toxicity in the fandom. It's why i'm excited for the announced James Mangold film. It's 25,000 years removed from the Skywalkers!

I guess I'm of the opposite opinion — I'm interested in seeing more Rey stories and could not be less interested in seeing any more grogu stories moving forward. the first two sequel films were excellent, the last Jedi being my favorite Star Wars film, and while rise of Skywalker is ... bad ... it hasn't tainted how much I enjoy the other movies. I think return of the Jedi is pretty mid and attack of the clones ... also mid! that's how it goes sometimes. time moves on.

I'll also say that being completely divorced from social media has helped tremendously. I don't know nor do I care what ~the fandom~ thinks about any of the shows or movies. this is as connected as I've been to what people outside my friend group think about Star Wars since before the pandemic. it is great.

I'm excited about the "time" aspect of this new film.

One thing that always bothered me about the sequel trilogy was that all 3 films are so close to each other. If the internet math is correct, there's only a year between Episodes 7 and 9. Episode 8 picks up mere seconds after 7, which didn't allow for the characters (more specifically Rey) to "grow up" as Anakin and Luke did over their respective trilogy arcs.

Now we'll be able to compare the style of 20 -> 35 Rey, just as you can notice the difference between 25 -> 35 Obi-Wan when switching from Ep. 1 to Ep. 3.

EDIT: Immediately after typing this I thought to myself "What the hell even happened in Episode 9? I haven't thought about it since I walked out of the theater 3.5 years ago", so I proceeded to watch a 4-minute recap. It was so much worse than I could've even remembered. Who approved this plot?

Last edited:
I'm excited about the "time" aspect of this new film.

One thing that always bothered me about the sequel trilogy was that all 3 films are so close to each other. If the internet math is correct, there's only a year between Episodes 7 and 9. Episode 8 picks up mere seconds after 7, which didn't allow for the characters (more specifically Rey) to "grow up" as Anakin and Luke did over their respective trilogy arcs.

Now we'll be able to compare the style of 20 -> 35 Rey, just as you can notice the difference between 25 -> 35 Obi-Wan when switching from Ep. 1 to Ep. 3.

EDIT: Immediately after typing this I thought to myself "What the hell even happened in Episode 9? I haven't thought about it since I walked out of the theater 3.5 years ago", so I proceeded to watch a 4-minute recap. It was so much worse than I could've even remembered. Who approved this plot?
I haven't watched TRoS since theaters either and I in no way care to. I really enjoyed TFA and TLJ though. I want this film to be good, but at the same time the damage has really been done to these characters. Hopefully this movie can sort of "fix" Rey a bit with the passage of time.

As an aside, I have to think Adam Driver's Ben Solo/Kylo shows up in this movie, no? I know he was rumored to be in a new Star Wars project with Rey so wouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: Jake S
So....Disney....Your sequel trilogy has made considerably less money with each release, with the last one barely cracking $1 Billion. That should not be possible for the grand finale of Star Wars. This has happened because you had wasted so much potential with the new characters, you did a major disservice to the OG characters (Like they never once appeared together on screen. ), and worst of all, you had no plan whatsoever for the sequel trilogy.

So instead of just taking the L and trying to win back the trust who were not happy with the direction the sequels went (Which is what I thought they were doing with Mando and rumors of Ashoka undoing the sequel trilogy), you instead double-down on the newer era that has proven to be a financial liability!? I will admit I've enjoyed the last season of Clone Wars (Probably the best thing to come out of Disney Star Wars IMO), Rebels, the first two season of Mando, and Rogue One. But now that they are doubling down on the sequel trilogy era, I can't bring myself to get excited for anything else they release anymore knowing that all roads will lead to that. The Ashoka trailer looks really good, but if this all ends up leading up the sequel trilogy.....what's the point?

I'm insanely close to the point of just ignoring just about everything Disney has put out with Star Wars content and just sticking with the original six movies, the old EU and Clone Wars. Though there are some good things that came out of Disney Star Wars, I can't cherry-pick what I like and don't like and make my own "canon". It would just be too convoluted and inconsistent, which is probably why I'm going with the former. The extremely lackluster season of Mando season 3 and this announcement has probably sealed the deal for me of just walking away from Disney Star Wars.

Look, if you're excited about the new movies, then that's great. Please don't let me rain on your parade. But I'm certainly not alone seeing how Mando's ratings have plummeted. Guess I better start reading those old EU books. Never finished the Shadows of the Empire book so I should get back to that. Though Ben Solo was probably the only remotely decent thing from the sequel trilogy, I'll just stick with Jacen Solo.

Thank you Disney for making me unexcited for Star Wars. Didn't think it was possible, but you did it.

Reactions: Wesker69
So....Disney....Your sequel trilogy has made considerably less money with each release, with the last one barely cracking $1 Billion. That should not be possible for the grand finale of Star Wars. This has happened because you had wasted so much potential with the new characters, you did a major disservice to the OG characters (Like they never once appeared together on screen. ), and worst of all, you had no plan whatsoever for the sequel trilogy.

So instead of just taking the L and trying to win back the trust who were not happy with the direction the sequels went (Which is what I thought they were doing with Mando and rumors of Ashoka undoing the sequel trilogy), you instead double-down on the newer era that has proven to be a financial liability!? I will admit I've enjoyed the last season of Clone Wars (Probably the best thing to come out of Disney Star Wars IMO), Rebels, the first two season of Mando, and Rogue One. But now that they are doubling down on the sequel trilogy era, I can't bring myself to get excited for anything else they release anymore knowing that all roads will lead to that. The Ashoka trailer looks really good, but if this all ends up leading up the sequel trilogy.....what's the point?

I'm insanely close to the point of just ignoring just about everything Disney has put out with Star Wars content and just sticking with the original six movies, the old EU and Clone Wars. Though there are some good things that came out of Disney Star Wars, I can't cherry-pick what I like and don't like and make my own "canon". It would just be too convoluted and inconsistent, which is probably why I'm going with the former. The extremely lackluster season of Mando season 3 and this announcement has probably sealed the deal for me of just walking away from Disney Star Wars.

Look, if you're excited about the new movies, then that's great. Please don't let me rain on your parade. But I'm certainly not alone seeing how Mando's ratings have plummeted. Guess I better start reading those old EU books. Never finished the Shadows of the Empire book so I should get back to that. Though Ben Solo was probably the only remotely decent thing from the sequel trilogy, I'll just stick with Jacen Solo.

Thank you Disney for making me unexcited for Star Wars. Didn't think it was possible, but you did it.
They are not undoing the sequels in any way with the current shows. If anything they are creating an arc that makes it make a tiny bit of sense that Palpatine would be cloned back to life. Anyone who thought they were decanonizing the sequels were terribly disillusioned.

Here's the issue with Star Wars in it's current state - as @Brian G. said, they need to move away from Skywalker stories in their entirety (and anything connected to them) as the sequels became a lightning bolt of controversy and now won't support characters like Rey going forward simply because they didn't like that Luke died. I can understand not liking the sequels for poor overarching story, but TLJ Luke was a realistic portrayal of a Jedi Master that age and he was given a bad ass death scene. Unfortunately the film was extremely divisive and didn't help that TRoS was a dumpster fire.

The thing is though, the Star Wars base is split BIG TIME. A lot of people loved the sequels, as much as many people hated them. It's like people that grew up with the prequels. A ton of people loved those before Filoni sort of fixed the universe and fans came around on them a bit. I loved 2 out of the 3 which is why i'm willing to give this a chance. Rey has done nothing wrong to hurt me, the lack of an overarching story in the Sequel Trilogy is what hurt her character the most. This is a movie that has promise but unfortunately I know it's going to underperform seeing as a certain segment are just going to refuse to watch it even if it's good and fans like it.

I also think the idea that the lack of an overarching story hurt the sequel trilogy is a bit of a red herring. the original trilogy, uh, very much did not have an overarching story and managed to do just fine for itself — logical inconsistencies and all.

Yeah but RotJ was nowhere near as bad as TRoS, which is one of the worst blockbusters ever made.

The way I look at it is no one’s making you watch this movie if you don’t want. The three movies they announced though give a little something for everyone though. The dawn of it all, the culmination of the New Republic saga, and now the New Jedi Order. You pick what interests you.

Yeah but RotJ was nowhere near as bad as TRoS, which is one of the worst blockbusters ever made.
and I'd argue that has less to do with the lack of a pre-planned story and more to do with carrie fisher dying. but, I agree, it's beside the point. I'm interested in what the new movies offer.