Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser | Page 67 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
1a184ed4-a754-4843-8319-d3c7bba8760a_text.gif

Alright, after watching some videos without worrying about whether or not the vloggers could afford it, I actually have legitimate thoughts and opinions believe it or not.

I’ll be honest…this is something I could afford. However, I don’t think I would—it’s not about the price but the execution. The activities seem contrived and the story elements seem cringy. This isn’t my idea of three days well-spent.

With that being said, there IS potential here. Whoever said this could work as a dinner or lunchtime experience…genius. But I also think there are little tidbits in the foundation here to be something successful. The whole time watching this, I couldn’t help but think “if this was set in Hogwarts this would be amazing.” Star Wars is ultimately about characters and putting customers central to the story doesn’t work because so much is based around the “Skywalker lineage.”

If you were to take this idea of a full-fledged interactive vacation and applied it toward an IP that is more location-centric or environment-friendly, I think you’d have a winner. As it stands, Star Wars doesn’t have a recognizable aesthetic beyond desert slums. The design here feels forced and doesn’t lend itself toward something people should want to immerse themselves in.

Disney COULD have done this well—there are a lot of details in the design that reflect their cruise ships, and obviously the ships have proven to be a successful model for a successful vacation. I really just think Disney misunderstands what made Star Wars successful—it’s not the setting, it’s the story, and that’s very specific to a particular group of characters. To be fair, George Lucas himself messed this up too so it is what it is.

If this took place in Hogwarts or something, I think it would be great. The pieces are here and I think Imagineering overall did a good job and for what this is, I believe the price is justified given the R&D put into this. It’s surprisingly the IP that’s the issue. I do hope it’s successful, not for Disney’s sake but for the hope that a company with the rights to an IP that would actually lend itself to something like this will have the confidence to take a shot.
I honestly had similar thoughts. I’ll admit I’m a much bigger fan of the Potter IP than Star Wars, but I agree that so much of the Star Wars story is too connected to a small core of characters that limit how connected guests can feel to this sort of thing. There’s been a good bit of talk about how the opulence of this place reads as “bad” in almost every Star Wars shorthand, and it’s accurate. There are also so many retconning plot holes in its story that may make narrative sense but that doesn’t mean they’re narratively necessarily.

Harry Potter, on the other hand, is proven to be successful without an over-reliance on the core characters because the character map is so sprawling and the narrative world (ie - the story) is so expansive. A random wizard hotel (not the Leaky Cauldron, as that’s a hovel) and the appearance of random Death Eaters or Order…Phoenix members would make more narrative sense because both sides operate covertly.

Imagine a three-day stay at the “Emerald Mermaid,” a centuries-old wizard hotel, built at the bottom of a lake to participate in a Wizard/Muggle Enrichment Conference. Hosted by the Ministry of Magic (and spearheaded by Arthur Weasley), this event enables wizards and muggles to learn more about each other. There are opportunities for wizards to teach muggles how to do magic, learn Wizarding history, magical beasts displays, shows, or guests can just enjoy the hotel (or spend all day at the parks… whatevs). Muggles can also opt for a day-trip (via flying Knight Bus) to the wizard “commerce hub,” Diagon Alley or the “seat of government,” the Ministry of Magic. However, there’s the potential that Death Eaters have infiltrated the event. Luckily, undercover Aurors and the Order of the Phoenix are present to fight back.

Structurally, the story plays out in a manner more akin to Sleep No More. Various story beats take place in various places throughout the day but guests are not tied to any specific thing. Primary story beats can play out during meals or shows. Smaller ones, literally, wherever - hallway, lobby, pool, whatevs.

Guests don’t have to be active participants but can interject if they desire (and potentially effect the story by exposing a Death Eater early). They can simply watch the show or ignore it entirely and enjoy their stay at a “wizard hotel.”

If Disney took the same concept and structured it in a way that allowed more (some?) passivity, they could have something that’s absolutely dynamite. As it stands, it just feels needlessly over-produced in a cringe way.

I honestly had similar thoughts. I’ll admit I’m a much bigger fan of the Potter IP than Star Wars, but I agree that so much of the Star Wars story is too connected to a small core of characters that limit how connected guests can feel to this sort of thing. There’s been a good bit of talk about how the opulence of this place reads as “bad” in almost every Star Wars shorthand, and it’s accurate. There are also so many retconning plot holes in its story that may make narrative sense but that doesn’t mean they’re narratively necessarily.

Harry Potter, on the other hand, is proven to be successful without an over-reliance on the core characters because the character map is so sprawling and the narrative world (ie - the story) is so expansive. A random wizard hotel (not the Leaky Cauldron, as that’s a hovel) and the appearance of random Death Eaters or Order…Phoenix members would make more narrative sense because both sides operate covertly.

Imagine a three-day stay at the “Emerald Mermaid,” a centuries-old wizard hotel, built at the bottom of a lake to participate in a Wizard/Muggle Enrichment Conference. Hosted by the Ministry of Magic (and spearheaded by Arthur Weasley), this event enables wizards and muggles to learn more about each other. There are opportunities for wizards to teach muggles how to do magic, learn Wizarding history, magical beasts displays, shows, or guests can just enjoy the hotel (or spend all day at the parks… whatevs). Muggles can also opt for a day-trip (via flying Knight Bus) to the wizard “commerce hub,” Diagon Alley or the “seat of government,” the Ministry of Magic. However, there’s the potential that Death Eaters have infiltrated the event. Luckily, undercover Aurors and the Order of the Phoenix are present to fight back.

Structurally, the story plays out in a manner more akin to Sleep No More. Various story beats take place in various places throughout the day but guests are not tied to any specific thing. Primary story beats can play out during meals or shows. Smaller ones, literally, wherever - hallway, lobby, pool, whatevs.

Guests don’t have to be active participants but can interject if they desire (and potentially effect the story by exposing a Death Eater early). They can simply watch the show or ignore it entirely and enjoy their stay at a “wizard hotel.”

If Disney took the same concept and structured it in a way that allowed more (some?) passivity, they could have something that’s absolutely dynamite. As it stands, it just feels needlessly over-produced in a cringe way.

I think you stated the truth about the issue. Star Wars is character driven but the locations lack character/personality whereas other IPs lead themselves better to where the location is so rich in characterization you are fine getting to know it and explore.

Reactions: Clive
From a purely creative side, I’m strongly inclined to agree that this is the “next frontier” of themed entertainment. There’s only so much you can do in a theme park setting that enables you to simultaneously be impressed, forge connections, and churn through over 1500 people every hour. Dare I say that Rise managed to perfect that premise inside of a (relatively) high capacity attraction.

Starcruiser comes from the opposite angle, of what happens when you give people more time and more effects on a story. This is obviously something that you couldn’t stick in a park where there are 20 other things guests want to do before they leave, so instead it’s isolated. The base premise is really interesting and one that (in my opinion) nobody should be rooting for to fail.

But… there isn’t just the creative side; there is also the business side, which soured so many people (myself included) on this experience. While I can *somewhat* see where they are coming from on price (in terms of limited capacity and recouping R&D), I really wish they would have gone another route. In my personal ideal world, we get a second starcruiser plopped right next to this one, with a different ship and slightly different storyline, which helps to further justify the R&D costs and also manages to up supply and enable costs to come down a little bit. Unfortunately, for that to even be in the realm of possibility, this one has to be a success which, thanks to the business side souring people on it, looks iffy.
I agree the story engine is a great creative feat and (coming from someone who loves theater) the vast amount of equity actors they hired for this for both scripted and highly improvisational roles is a delight to see. I look at it like how the corporate word desperately wants the Metaverse to be a thing. Instead of playing around in your room in a digital world, this really immerses you into the experience from the second you check in to the the moment you leave.

Those are great things creatively. The problem becomes the price point. Had it stayed around the originally rumored price, it would be much more palatable.

Remember when this price point was brought up and we all thought it was crazy? There's a lot of discussion about it on page 1 of the thread. And I actually think that $2,000-$2,500 would've been something that I could convince myself into doing with some friends at some point.

I agree the story engine is a great creative feat and (coming from someone who loves theater) the vast amount of equity actors they hired for this for both scripted and highly improvisational roles is a delight to see. I look at it like how the corporate word desperately wants the Metaverse to be a thing. Instead of playing around in your room in a digital world, this really immerses you into the experience from the second you check in to the the moment you leave.

Those are great things creatively. The problem becomes the price point. Had it stayed around the originally rumored price, it would be much more palatable.

Remember when this price point was brought up and we all thought it was crazy? There's a lot of discussion about it on page 1 of the thread. And I actually think that $2,000-$2,500 would've been something that I could convince myself into doing with some friends at some point.

Hell, I’d take 2 guests for $2500.

The last thing this thing needs is a pool. Any leisure experience where you can’t stop what you’re doing to chase a story thread seems off the table with this insane venture. Other than chilling at the bar, I can’t imagine being able to just sit and relax for any amount of time, nor would I want to, if it’s possible I’m missing important story elements going on.

This experience isn’t long enough to just chill. And getting changed, going to the pool, enjoying myself, drying off, showering, and getting changed again is far too much time to waste on something you’re paying more than $50 an hour to experience.

I guess it’s for the people that DO want to chill and don’t want to do all the story stuff. Plenty of tourists may only want to do lightsaber training and pass on several of the other activities , OR people that may be repeat customers might want something else to do.

i think the DIS video explained that they went to the room to get cleaned up for dinner and a big story event occurred. The hotel story continues wether you participate or not.

I guess it’s for the people that DO want to chill and don’t want to do all the story stuff. Plenty of tourists may only want to do lightsaber training and pass on several of the other activities , OR people that may be repeat customers might want something else to do.

i think the DIS video explained that they went to the room to get cleaned up for dinner and a big story event occurred. The hotel story continues wether you participate or not.
If you’re paying thousands of dollars and not participating why are you paying thousands of dollars?

If you’re paying thousands of dollars and not participating why are you paying thousands of dollars?
That’s a loaded question in a thread full of people who understand exactly what they’re in for at this place. I’d wager a not-insignificant percentage of guests are spending the money strictly for the clout of having stayed at the Star Wars hotel. Those individuals likely have no interest in participating.

That’s a loaded question in a thread full of people who understand exactly what they’re in for at this place. I’d wager a not-insignificant percentage of guests are spending the money strictly for the clout of having stayed at the Star Wars hotel. Those individuals likely have no interest in participating.
Marathon medals.....

From a purely creative side, I’m strongly inclined to agree that this is the “next frontier” of themed entertainment. There’s only so much you can do in a theme park setting that enables you to simultaneously be impressed, forge connections, and churn through over 1500 people every hour. Dare I say that Rise managed to perfect that premise inside of a (relatively) high capacity attraction.

Starcruiser comes from the opposite angle, of what happens when you give people more time and more effects on a story. This is obviously something that you couldn’t stick in a park where there are 20 other things guests want to do before they leave, so instead it’s isolated. The base premise is really interesting and one that (in my opinion) nobody should be rooting for to fail.

But… there isn’t just the creative side; there is also the business side, which soured so many people (myself included) on this experience. While I can *somewhat* see where they are coming from on price (in terms of limited capacity and recouping R&D), I really wish they would have gone another route. In my personal ideal world, we get a second starcruiser plopped right next to this one, with a different ship and slightly different storyline, which helps to further justify the R&D costs and also manages to up supply and enable costs to come down a little bit. Unfortunately, for that to even be in the realm of possibility, this one has to be a success which, thanks to the business side souring people on it, looks iffy.

I fully reject the concept this is "the next frontier" for several reasons. Emotionally, a high-priced experience that is limited to those who can afford a five to six-figure experience shuts out me, my friends, and my family from something we love. I hate the idea of this being the future.

But from an intellectual perspective I also reject it because this just seems another way Disney tries to find another angle that isn't building more rides and shows:
  1. In the late 2000s, the thought was that optimization of theme parks would be the future. Then Disney spent well over $1bn on Magic Bands, MyMagicPlus, and more. It wasn't the future. All that technology is deprecated now not even a decade later.
  2. During this time Universal stepped up their game and created the Wizarding World. While we take it for granted now, the level of attraction/land/merch/food & bev design and cooperation was unheard of.
  3. Disny spent years pivoting to the new themed entertainment model, spending billions more than they needed to if they had just spent that NexGen money on attractions.
  4. Disney gets sold on an immersive theater experience and thinks its the solution to their expensive lands and experiences.
  5. Universal is developing new tech, attractions, and shows for a new park.
  6. Rinse, repeat.
From the sound of it those promoting this concept thing this is the "holy grail" of themed entertainment - it's not, it's a neat addition for theater kids and fans. But the bread and butter of theme parks still stands, rides and shows.

Except two-thirds of that tweet was not close to accurate at the time. I wouldn't criticize $650/night, but there's a massive difference between $650 adults and $200 child versus $650 average rate per person - which, once you account for happened to the cost of the project (higher than expected) and operating expenses (higher than expected)....... looks a lot like where it ended up.

But it's a good example of how the game of telephone can cause rumors to drift from close to right to not very close to right.

because this just seems another way Disney tries to find another angle that isn't building more rides and shows:
The alternative to this was not more rides and shows at WDW, the alternative was [something else] with fewer of the rides and shows that have been/are being built at WDW. I'll just let people guess what the [something else] was.

It doesn't take much in-depth analysis to see that money was getting handed out left and right in a certain window.

Last edited:
The alternative to this was not more rides and shows at WDW, the alternative was [something else] with fewer of the rides and shows that have been/are being built at WDW. I'll just let people guess what the [something else] was.

It doesn't take much in-depth analysis to see that money was getting handed out left and right in a certain window.

But I've addressed this in the context of the post you quoted this from, and my point still stands. Building more capacity of what people show up to theme parks for is always the future.

-----

One thing I wanted to add to my first post but forgot is I don't think interactive theater is going away, it's been around forever and will continue to be. Universal is building an escape room, there are other experiences around the world including stuff Disney could do. I just reject the idea the future is highly expensive and stay driven, like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Besides the rich who are doing it just because they can, you will have families who go where the husband drags the wife and kids along on his fantasy and they are stuck doing something they don't care about. I can imagine there's going to be plenty of "I don't want to go to the F-ing lightsaber training Todd" fights along the way.

Not to mention, once the reviews start coming out, those types of families might be harder to get to book once the disinterested member of the family finds out that they either "have to participate" or sit in the room. While maybe not a pool specifically, a few time wasting, relaxation activities wouldn't have been the worst idea. An upcharge "space spa" seems like a no brainer.

Besides the rich who are doing it just because they can, you will have families who go where the husband drags the wife and kids along on his fantasy and they are stuck doing something they don't care about. I can imagine there's going to be plenty of "I don't want to go to the F-ing lightsaber training Todd" fights along the way.

Not to mention, once the reviews start coming out, those types of families might be harder to get to book once the disinterested member of the family finds out that they either "have to participate" or sit in the room. While maybe not a pool specifically, a few time wasting, relaxation activities wouldn't have been the worst idea. An upcharge "space spa" seems like a no brainer.
That’s my point. If you’re not there to participate, this isn’t for you.

You build a pool, that changes what it looks like they’re offering, and invites more people that will be there for the wrong reason.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong, I wish they had built a well-themed hotel instead, but they probably need to really hit home in advertising that this thing is more like a 48-hour attraction.

Last edited:
That’s my point. If you’re not there to participate, this isn’t for you.

You build a pool, that changes what it looks like they’re offering, and invites more people that will be there for the wrong reason.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong, I wish they had built a well-themed hotel instead, but they probably need to really hit home in advertising that this thing is more like a 48-hour attraction.

I just don't get how they don't account for the people that this isn't for. They will show up. Whether that be entire families or just parts of those families. There absolutely will be people not interested in the RP forced into this because their family is going. It would help the reviews to have some areas for those types of people. And, no, I don't think it needs to be a pool.

I agree on rather it being a well themed hotel. I was out on this deal as soon as I heard "larp" as a description before it was ever built. I might have went to a "Canto Bight" level hotel that had Role playing activities. I'm not doing a fully immersive RP deal. I'm fine that they built what they built though. Not every thing is for every person.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I don't have much of a horse in this race but I really don't understand some people's fixation on this place adding a pool. It's just not that kind of experience. This isn't really a hotel as much as a longterm theatre experience with a basic room included. If you want to go to a pool in Orlando, you are drowning in other options. Literally every other Disney Hotel has like 2-4 pools and most offsite hotels have them as well. Catering to a group of people who aren't willing to look into the experience that they're paying over $6000 for just seems silly. If you spend that much and don't realize the event you signed up for, that's entirely on you. It's some "Where's Harry Potter Land???" while at Epcot type behavior.