Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Soarin' Around the World

Mickey balloons in a screen based attraction are nothing new. I have not watched the new Soarin video (waiting to experience the attraction first hand this week) so I do not know how blatant it is, but I do remember seeing Mickey balloons in the old Spirit of Norway film.

Maybe I need to ride it again, but I was really upset with the new Soarin'...it felt fake and lacked the true heart of the first. The second I saw CGI animals (which is 15 seconds in), I began to question the authenticity of anything on the ride. I'm sure those people on row boats were animated as well. Everything that was happening in Over California was a real thing set up for the shot, in this version they definitely just flew a drone over some recognizable monuments and called it a day.

I saw the BriMan's OU POV video (THANKS!!!!) the other day and have to ask those that have seen it in person. Is there really as much CG in this new film as it looks like from the POV? I gave it a bit of the benefit of the doubt because I'm not totally sure how well the dome is conveyed on video. It really looked like almost every scene had major CG components in it even some that had 0 reason to be CG.

Having that much CG for a "sightseeing" ride is just kind of an oxymoron in my opinion.

I saw the BriMan's OU POV video (THANKS!!!!) the other day and have to ask those that have seen it in person. Is there really as much CG in this new film as it looks like from the POV? I gave it a bit of the benefit of the doubt because I'm not totally sure how well the dome is conveyed on video. It really looked like almost every scene had major CG components in it even some that had 0 reason to be CG.

Having that much CG for a "sightseeing" ride is just kind of an oxymoron in my opinion.

There is a lot of CG. So much that it makes you question if the some of the monuments they fly over (Taj Mahal) were CG as well.

The Taj Mahal was one that really surprised me. Based on the video it almost looks like that entire Taj Mahal scene is CG.

The Taj Mahal was definitely CG as no one is able to legally fly over it. As for why they decided to include it knowing that flight couldn't be had is questionable at best.

Agreed. It's not like they were short on other places to choose. :lol:

I know it was harder to make a video custom to Epcot, but Soarin over the World Showcase countries would have been pretty solid.

I'm in Anaheim currently, but rode this at DCA the other day. Slightly let down versus the previous version (I hadn't seen anything going in).

Personally, I DID actually like the transitions everyone seems to hate, but it's certainly not something I'd do w/o Fastpass.

Also, the lack of scents was very noticeable when compared to Over California. Over all it was just pretty meh. We've spent about 2 full days in DCA and never felt a need to go back on.

My husband really dislikes the new one, he caught onto all the fake stuff right away. My daughter loved it because it has Polar bears and Orcas in it. She however was scared of some of the transitions. I thought it was ok. The transitions are way different from the old one and not sure whether they are good or bad. I was probably in the worst seat so I need to see it again in the center to really critique it. But the rounding of everything is really bad. Especially the Eiffel tower. That is just awful. CGI normally doesn't bother me, but some stuff looked fake as anything. They should have picked places they could actually film. It would have been way better. The music was good though and some of the stuff was cool. I really need to ride it again in a better seat. But I agree the old was better.

I have to say I did like the ending better and there was two hidden mickey. The balloons and the fireworks. Both use three objects to come together to make a mickey.

Wanted to add that the 3rd theater is working. Standby was between 10 and 45 minutes while I was in that area. Lowest times I have seen for 7pm.

Last edited:
Really liked this new version! We sucked it up and got in the 50min standby line since I blew my FP on Frozen. Luckily the line was only about 35 min so not too bad. We sat in row 1 on the left side. The new scenes were crisp and clear, but for some reason they really appeared twisted which I think is due to the screen curvature. My wife even commented, especially the Eiffel Tower which appreared to lean to one side. Also, the top edge of the screen caught my eye more than a few times. I think programming could fix that. Overall a very well done refresh!

I liked it, but prefer Soarin' 1.0. Especially seeing it digital in DCA. Is Shanghai's version exactly the same minus the unique ending all the parks got?

I hate this new version of Soarin'. The CG was ridiculous. Loved Soarin' 1.0. This is one thing where going global failed.
Hopefully EPCOT will get the love it needs over the next few years, add some attractions so the lines for Soarin' diminish and they could change it so that just one screen is Over the Horizon and another is California, and maybe the third one rotates between the two.

I like both versions. I prefer California if I had to choose, but to me the CGI isn't as bad as people make it to be (for the most part).

The only really bad CGI is the Taj Mahal, which was just a stupid decision. If you can't fly over it, pick a different landmark, don't do lazy CGI.

Okay, I'll agree the Taj Mahal is the worst part but I really do enjoy the new version.

The Eiffel Tower is by far the most offensive scene. This show attraction (the world) was designed by people who have no clue what made the original world. Sweeping landscapes look amazing in IMAX, Tall structures look bent and awkward and terrible. It's a shame.