Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 187 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To bring up: Vekoma was one of the two options Energylandia considered for Hyperion. They even allowed people to see what Vekomas take would’ve been.

Could be possible they might have the least expensive for the market when it comes to a genuine hyper coaster.

Last edited:

icon_STOP
2025 - Rumored New Coaster - (10/4/2023) While we don’t know much yet about what Six Flags Magic Mountain has planned, sources tell us to keep an eye on the theater spot, as we previously indicated. The park’s next coaster is expected to go in this location, and is expected to open in 2025 if all goes as planned. While there have been lots of rumors about finally brining a Giga style coaster to the park, the latest rumor actually claims Vekoma may be involved. While Vekoma has never built a Giga (or a true Hyper) to my knowledge, they have started to work with Six Flags lately, adding the family Rookie Racer coaster to Six Flags St. Louis just this past week, and the new Super Boomerang was announced for 2024 at Six Flags Great Adventure. So more Vekoma products may be planned for Six Flags in the years to come.

I wouldn't mind a modern Vekoma on the West Coast.
Most of us probably know where this came from, but you could at least give Screamscape credit and post the link when you copy/paste things:

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Went back to SFMM for another round of Fright Fest (it's free for me as a Member). Report, updates and tips:

• Go Thursday or Friday night if possible. Even on Friday nights, lines are basically pretty short, and there's basically no need for Express. If the line to get a wristband is very long at the main location near FT, there are many other, smaller booths around the park that also sell wristbands that usually have little to no wait.
  • Saw opens at 7, but it's also right near where the monsters come out at the beginning of the night--and everybody goes there to watch. We stood in line for Saw at 6:45, and were maybe the 4th group in the line (not counting a few Express people). By the time it opened, including the Express people, we waited maybe 15 minutes. But by the time we got out, everybody who was watching the monster show had stormed over, and it looked the the queue was getting pretty full. So if you're willing to sacrifice the opening show, you could get on Saw pretty quick. Still looked pretty good. A few of the trap actors were not as good this time, but the Piggies are getting a bit more aggressive. Also noticed a few more sound design elements, so they maybe improving that, and a few scareactor positions moved a bit, but otherwise the maze looked the same as opening night.
  • Went directly to Conjuring next, and the line was maybe 15 minutes as well. I do like the 1st half of this maze a lot, but after the grave scene, it's a bit of a dud. Also, the floor sliding actor wasn't there. I think if they improved the 2nd half (assuming the maze is there next year), it could be a strong contender, but as it is now, it's mid-to-good.
  • Went up the hill to Willloughby's, and Sewer. Both were total walk ons. We were the only people in Willoughby's! And yes, it's exactly the same design-wise, but they both still look great, and the scare actors were numerous and highly energetic. Love how many will get at you on floor level. Also saw a male in a female gothic dress, and thought it was very cool SFMM was inclusive about such things!
  • Did Truth or Dare, which has received even a bit more set dressing just from last week (mostly the first hallway to the dressing rooms). Design-wise, it's still huge improvement from last year. No comparison. Maybe I had bad timing, but unfortunately many of the scareactor positions were missing from my walk though, so it was a bit of a let down this time. But when all the scareactors in in there, it could maybe be my favorite. Keep in mind the line moves really, really slow, since they are currently doing the pre-show room. That said, I gotta give credit to whoever made the queue music... really puts you in a cheesy game show vibe.
  • Vault 666 had no line whatsoever. While mostly the same, there are a few improvements, and sound design throughout elevates a bit more, so give it a chance.
  • Condamed had a very short 10 min wait. Basically the same as Scream Break. Got all mazes (except Aftermath) done by 9pm without any Express. Longest wait was for Truth or Dare.
We focused on mazes, so we didn't do any rides, but they basically all looked open (including JL, Roaring Rapids, Superman, and Ninja). The only closed rides I noticed were Crazanity (anyone know what's happening with that?), Jet Stream, and Scrambler.

Also, if you go on Fri-Sun, Oktoberfest runs their booths until 9pm. However, I have noticed many booth are running out of items. Oktoberfest also had it's own merch booth, which was surprisingly fun, but tucked away towards the back. Saw also has merch between the Saw maze and the Carnival games. Conjuring merch was at the gift shop near Apocalypse, now renamed Haunt Emporium.

It's interesting that Saw, Conjuring, and Truth or Dare are the big crowd draws. And at least Thur/Fri, you could basically do any other maze with little to no wait whatsoever. And the scareactors really are improving, and with the exception of Truth or Dare (and again, it may have been a timing thing--when we did it last week, it was very well staffed), were very well staffed. If there is a line, expect it to move pretty slow, as they are really putting a lot of space between groups... which is actually sort of cool, IMO.

At Midsummer Scream, they announced that Scream Break was returning... I'm curious to see if Truth or Dare will be included in it this year. I'm hoping so! Also curious to know if Scream Break will be happening at any other SF parks... I thought I had heard that for the chain as a whole, it didn't work out so well. But not surprised it would work in LA, with such a huge haunt community, and basically no one else in Socal are doing haunts mid-year.

Reactions: Jake S
Decided to hit up Fright Fest yesterday. Last time I've gone was when Sewer of Souls and Comdamned had just opened. It's clearly been a while since I've gone and with their two new mazes marking Six Flags' intro into the IP game, I was curious to check it out and enjoy the older mazes again. So here are my thoughts in order of accomplishment:

Saw X: I hit this one up first as I heard this got long waits. Got in line at 6:40 after riding Twisted Colossus, Wonder Woman, Ninja, and Gold Rusher. (Would've been earlier but it took a long time to get some water), got in 7:15. I will say going in my experience was kind of ruined from a family with a couple of five years olds with them were in front of me. They kept getting too scared to move so they would literally hold the line up and then back up into me when a scare happened. To top it off there were some middle school girls screaming agt max volume THE WHOLE ENTIRE TIME WITH NO BREAK AT. ALL. I couldn't hear a dang thing in there. But other than that, I got a couple of startles from the Pig people. and some of the rooms looked okay. It was a small step below HHN 2017's Saw house. It's about what expected. Would've been nice to have another runthrough but I'm not waiting an hour for another runthrough when I can just go on a coaster after I'm done lol.

Overall: D-

The Conjuring: The line for Aftermath was kinda long so I decided to hit this up next. The line moved reeeeeally slow and to top it off, I happened to be in front of a family....I crap you not....bringing their INFANT SON and their toddler in a freaking stroller into the maze. What on God's green earth are you doing bringing your infant children through a horrific haunted house!? Thankfully, I got pushed behind them when the regular line merged with the express so I wouldn't have the experience ruined by them. So the first room starts off alright. It's very detailed, it feels like the Conjuring, and I got a decent scare in there. After that, it just nose-dives. So many scareactors just stand there and don't really pop out of anything. It just wasn't great. What a waste. It was a little better than Saw though.

Overall: D+

Willoughby's: Decided to go up the mountain to do the two mazes up here and this was a good move. I literally walked right in with no wait at all. Went through completely by myself. Oh man I got an amazing runthrough here. Even though this is what, 12 years old now, the talent was the absolute best in here. I got some fantastic scares in here and they and they rocked it! Although this was my favorite of the night, it's very telling when the ancient old mazes are far better than the new ones.

Overall: A

Sewer of Souls: I remember this being actually decent when it just opened. The age here is clearly shown with half of the effects I remember not working. Quite a shame considering how cool it was when it just opened. They gave us 3D glasses but I took them off halfway through as it was making everything blurry and not make the images pop. Time to replace it.

Overall: D-

Aftermath 2: Hit this up next after going down the mountain and the line got down to nothing. Well....fire was cool. That's about the only good thing I have to say about this. It needs some updating. It's abysmal right now.

Overall: F

Truth or Dare: There was also a line here, but after going in, I'm pleasantly surprised with how much they improved this maze. It's not great, but it's miles better from the turd fest I watched on YouTube from last year. Not bad.

Overall: C+

Vault 666: Last time I went through was when they did the light Hellfest overlay. Even though its old, there is some good scenic in here and the talent was pretty good! Just had a couple of obnoxious middle schoolers being annoying behind me.

Overall: B-

Condamned: Although this one aged a little, it at least got a touch up from the Scream Break event they did and it didn't age as bad as Sewer of Souls. I really liked the tight-space wall segment and even worked a scare in one of the holes! Brilliant! This is easily my second favorite.

Overall: B+

So what did I think of Fright Fest overall? Well....it's not great. It speaks volumes when your two new mazes with IP are the weakest and your mazes that have been there for freaking years are considerably better. I would say "Let Universal do the IPs and stay in your lane Six Flags", but the IP mazes definitely got the most pull from the crowds. I'm afraid if that trend continues, they'll probably keep doing it and steal Universal's opportunity to do IPs right. God forbid SFMM does Friday the 13th or NoES next year. Fright Fest needs an overhaul. They should do at least one new maze and revamp an old one a year.

If you have a season pass and haven't gone in a long time and you live within 30 minutes....I would say why not go check it out. You'll probably have fun. Otherwise, don't waste your money. It's better than Castle Dark although that's not a high bar at all. LOL

Reactions: BillM
So what did I think of Fright Fest overall? Well....it's not great. It speaks volumes when your two new mazes with IP are the weakest and your mazes that have been there for freaking years are considerably better. I would say "Let Universal do the IPs and stay in your lane Six Flags", but the IP mazes definitely got the most pull from the crowds. I'm afraid if that trend continues, they'll probably keep doing it and steal Universal's opportunity to do IPs right. God forbid SFMM does Friday the 13th or NoES next year. Fright Fest needs an overhaul. They should do at least one new maze and revamp an old one a year.

If you have a season pass and haven't gone in a long time and you live within 30 minutes....I would say why not go check it out. You'll probably have fun. Otherwise, don't waste your money. It's better than Castle Dark although that's not a high bar at all. LOL
Very honest opinions you gave. Thank you. Not trying to suck up to MM or nothing. Very much appreciated.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
The order in which I went through the mazes
Saw X
The Conjuring
Aftermath 2: Chaos Rising
Sewer of Souls
Willoughby’s Resurrected
Truth or Dare
Condemned House Party
Vault 666: Unlocked

I was in line around 6 and finished by 10.

Here’s my rankings from top to bottom
Saw X
The Conjuring
Aftermath 2: Chaos Rising
Sewer of Souls
Truth or Dare
Vault 666: Unlocked
Condemned House Party
Willoughby’s Resurrected

The problem is once you start off with Saw X which I consider a banger, the rest of the mazes go downhill. Willoughby’s is the worst since it barely featured scare actors. The Conjuring is solid in the first half and bombs in the second half. The 3 mazes in the beginning of the park are all bland which includes Truth or Dare. Sewer of Souls was lacking the 3D glasses effect. Fright Fest has always been low tier so I’m not mad at the lack of quality. I would be if I compared it to HHN & KSF. The worst part of the event is general parking and food. GP is $40 and none of the food looks good. Even the pretzels are trash lol

This event will remain low tier until further noticed.

lol

Pay us 40 bucks to park in a lot...not even a parking structure
Parking lot will be repaved soon. No sense in paving it when they will have to tear it up for the solar panels which are being delivered everyday to the over flow lot. And let's be honest, a parking structure would only be worse. MM can't even maintain their lot. What would make you think they could maintain a parking structure. Plus that would cost a lot of money to build one.

Plus, SFMM doesn't even really need a parking structure. They don't even use the overflow lot much anymore. And even if it were for park expansion, there's basically still plenty of areas that could be developed within the park already.

But yeah, repaving the lot they have now will be very, very welcome. It's pretty bad in many places.

Reactions: BillM
Plus, SFMM doesn't even really need a parking structure. They don't even use the overflow lot much anymore. And even if it were for park expansion, there's basically still plenty of areas that could be developed within the park already.

But yeah, repaving the lot they have now will be very, very welcome. It's pretty bad in many places.
Agreed. MM still has a lot of property. But why build more coasters like some people talk about. They can't even maintain the ones they have.

Parking is $40?! I remember a time that's how much a ticket into the park was!
I am going to guess it is because you can pre buy a season pass with parking now and people know this so if you have especially multiple people going you buy the pass, maybe even alone.