Simpsons Ride - Replacement Ideas | Inside Universal Forums

Simpsons Ride - Replacement Ideas

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Allen The Actor

Allen The Actor
Jan 10, 2013
Hill Valley, California
It's no secret I'm not a fan of the Simpsons ride at all, especially since it replaced BTTF. I wouldn't be a fan of it even if it was a completely new ride and not a replacement.

With that said, what do you guys think would be a fun/cool retheme or replacement to the Simpsons ride? The original rumor of BTTF's replacement of a Fast and Furious ride? Or something completely different?

The only thing I like about the ride is the exterior. It makes the atmosphere more happier. It's very attractive and colorful. But there really is no replacement in my mind as of right now, I could see it placed as a really big restaurant, or a redevelopment of the area.

Yeah, it's definitely "cheerful" and colorful on the exterior, but looking at the building just makes me wanna cry :p haha.

If it was replaced, I do know one thing: it will be in 3D and at one point in the ride, we would get a squirt of water.

Kinda sad that Universal doesn't have any good franchises or movies of it's own to have a new ride.....besides Despicable Me of course....

Reactions: Jon Fu
Like Chris, I think the next thing we'll see in that area is a complete demolition of the current structure and a new re-engineered building that would house a different ride system.

When you think about it, what else could they put in there that uses the ride system they have in place now? From what I've gathered, the current system is barely cutting it for the Simpsons. I still hear creaks and vibrations when I ride, and I doubt the mechanics can last another 10-15 years without significant modifications.

And by that route, Universal would be better off starting from scratch.

Edit: Plus, the Simpsons looks like crap - even after the refurbishment they had in 2008. I can't imagine what a "new" attraction would look like five years from now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite what some fans said, the Simpsons was the cheapest remake of a ride I've ever seen. When in line, i still feel like im in the Institute but with cheap (peeling) paint everywhere....

I agree that a replacement ride should see a completely remade ride system and concept.

Although honestly Jon, i don't even see THAT happening. Look at Despicable Me in Florida. It's the THIRD incarnation of that ride system in that building. I think we'll see the same thing here, except with updated mechanics, impressive queue, and in 3D.

Although honestly Jon, i don't even see THAT happening. Look at Despicable Me in Florida. It's the THIRD incarnation of that ride system in that building. I think we'll see the same thing here, except with updated mechanics, impressive queue, and in 3D.
I think you need to compare the layout and structural differences of both buildings.

For example, Despicable Me's building has never suffered any structural damage as a result of the simulators. Its layout is relatively straightforward and it's obviously flexible enough to support three redresses.

Simpsons, however, features a very flawed queuing system left over from Back to the Future. Good idea in theory, but horrible idea in practice. The queue for Back to the Future/Simpsons explains why the attraction always maintains a minimum wait time of 25 minutes - even during off-peak days. Simply put, it's a chaotic mess that doesn't allow the guest to fully understand what's going on in terms of a proper arc. Back to the Future was complicated enough with 4-5 distinct "queue" sections, and the Simpsons tried to relieve that with one continuous video loop. Don't get me wrong - I loved Back to the Future. But I doubt anyone would implement that queuing system again in hindsight.

That, and plus both buildings were specifically designed for the Omnimax projection system used in conjunction with DeLorean-style simulators. It's bad enough in Hollywood that you can't simply "carve" out the building and put something in its place (Special Effects and Backdraft). The design is too unique, and look what the Simpsons tried to do. I think it looks atrocious, and I doubt you can do anything beyond that.

I of course would prefer something unique and new, i totally agree, especially after Simpsons. I was just using Universal's mentality that they might wanna reuse it yet again. I hope not though. With Transformers having a couple scenes that have a screen similar to Omnimax, I'd like to see something new.

Although....one of the reasons why i don't expect a completely new ride is A. The hillside B. It's footprint isn't THAT large, and whatever would replace it would sadly also use projections. I hope I'm wrong...

I'm sure it won't be radically different, but I'm saying the building and current ride system needs to be scrapped.

They've maximized the potential of that space - that's a given.

The only thing I like about the ride is the exterior. It makes the atmosphere more happier. It's very attractive and colorful. But there really is no replacement in my mind as of right now, I could see it placed as a really big restaurant, or a redevelopment of the area.
I just noticed this post!

To be honest, when I first saw what they were doing, I couldn't believe my eyes. I think it's a huge eyesore. Luckily, I think ours looks better than Florida.

Now that's a horrible mess.

7573433936_1450495ec7_c.jpg

Ours is definitely better than Florida's. But i sincerely can't believe they didn't better cover up the dome buildings...they're so obviously....idk, "fake". If you're going for the "carnival theme park" look, go all the way...

Welcome to Universal, home of the 30 Second Re-Theme. They just didn't care enough to bother trying to mask the old ride with a new facade. And Florida did at least add the carnival games and such. Better than what we did with ours. I still get choked up on the third floor of the building because it's so clearly the IFT with a bad paint job...

I still get choked up on the third floor of the building because it's so clearly the IFT with a bad paint job...
True that. Hell, they're still using the same ceiling tiles from Back to the Future. Ugh...

DSC04595 by InsideUniversal.net, on Flickr

Speaking of which, here are a few photos of Florida:

Universal Orlando Resort - December 2009 - January 1, 2010 by InsideUniversal.net, on Flickr

Universal Orlando Resort - December 2009 - January 1, 2010 by InsideUniversal.net, on Flickr

Literally everything is just a bad paint job. It's so sad. I still feel like I'm at IFT.

And yeah, Florida is now making a whole "Springfield" land. But on both costs, they still could've done so much to retheme the building to make it not look like....well, a building. No realism AT ALL. With BTTF, every time i felt like i was at the IFT.

Since we're venting about the Simpsons ride flaws, i think its so stupidly ridiculous how the queue videos are 2D and the ride footage is 3Dish animation....the animation looks very cheap to me....

The Simpsons isn't exactly super detailed in terms of animation, so im guessing they wanted to make it a bit more "real" than the show....although i agree, it's also extremely dim and clunky cheap animation. Yes, it's in 4k, which was impressive at the time to do animation at that resolution but it still looks cheap IMO

Anyone know why they went with "3D"? Such an odd choice, and it lacks continuity between the ride and the actual series.
Universal went 3D because they want us to really be immersed in the movies. But can't Universal at least add an actual visual dark ride like the Madagascar Ride in Singapore. 

Last edited:
$$$
Rumor has it that the Simpsons animators did a test that was similar to "Funtastic World of Hannah Barbera", in which the 2D characters were laid out in a three-dimensional space. Despite the fact that it looked good, when Universal saw how much it would cost to make the four-minute ridefilm (which was decidedly more expensive due to the large format film) they freaked and decided to lower costs by making the entire thing CGI. 

And good god, despite their best efforts it looks awful. I also agree that it's dim in many spots. I appreciate how they updated this type of attraction, but I agree with Jon in that the queue is abhorrent. Even gate A access doesn't help, it's always a guaranteed lengthy ten-minute wait of sitting thru the same two pre-shows everytime to get to the ride, and I just don't have the patience.

Topping it all off, I'm actually a Simpsons fan! While admittedly some of the lines make me chuckle (and I appreciate the lengthy queue video with many classic clips)... it's gotten old and frustrating much too fast.
I agree. I remember the first time I went to the park after the Simpsons ride was there and I was very disappointed in the animation they had. Until I was actually sitting on the ride I thought the whole thing would be 2D to go along with the queue line video.

Reactions: Allen The Actor