Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 189 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Soooo, I rode Fallon and it was as bad as I imagined it would be. The queue is alright but when a ride is announced I expect a good ride, not just a good queue. The 3D was fine but I didn't laugh once during the ride. It was awkward, actually. It wasn't thrilling either, just dull. I can't see this lasting more than 5 years: it's already dated even before opening. This just exists to be a huge piece of synergy for Comcast and NBC and Creative didn't put any effort whatsoever to make an original experience. The facade is alright, but they didn't even themed the whole building. To be honest, if I had to choose, I would pick Twister over Fallon any day. Twister was fun in a campy way. This is just plain terrible, a cynical and ill conceived mess.

I love Universal but they need to get their crap together. They're doing lazy ride after lazy ride in recent years. Minions is a rehash of a ride which system didn't worked in the first place. Transformers is a carbon copy of a 15 year old ride and, somehow, Creative thought that to improve it they should use more screens and less physical sets. Diagon Alley is spectacular but Gringotts was a huge wasted opportunity (why not do a simple thrilling journey through the vaults instead of another screen ride...). Kong was also a major disappointment (same reason as Gringotts, SO MUCH POTENTIONAL!!). Now they've done Fallon which is godawful and soon Fast & Furious that is arguably the worst part of the California Tram Tour. You know what's more fun than simulated speed? ACTUAL SPEED. If we keep applauding laziness and mediocrity, they'll keep doing the same thing forever (which is a tragedy because Universal can do so much better). I think that what keeps my faith alive is Nintendo (that looks like it's going to be amazing). So we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo, I rode Fallon and it was as bad as I imagined it would be. The queue is alright but when a ride is announced I expect a good ride, not just a good queue. The 3D was fine but I didn't laugh once during the ride. It was awkward, actually. It wasn't thrilling either, just dull. I can't see this lasting more than 5 years: it's already dated even before opening. This just exists to be a huge piece of synergy for Comcast and NBC and Creative didn't put any effort whatsoever to make an original experience. The facade is alright, but they didn't even themed the whole building. To be honest, if I had to choose, I would pick Twister over Fallon any day. Twister was fun in a campy way. This is just plain terrible, a cynical and ill conceived mess.

I love Universal but they need to get their crap together. They're doing lazy ride after lazy ride in recent years. Minions is a rehash of a ride which system didn't worked in the first place. Transformers is a carbon copy of a 15 year old ride and, somehow, Creative thought that to improve it they should use more screens and less physical sets. Diagon Alley is spectacular but Gringotts was a huge wasted opportunity (why not do a simple thrilling journey through the vaults instead of another screen ride...). Kong was also a major disappointment (same reason as Gringotts, SO MUCH POTENTIONAL!!). Now they've done Fallon which is godawful and soon Fast & Furious that is arguably the worst part of the California Tram Tour. You know what's more fun than simulated speed? ACTUAL SPEED. If we keep applauding laziness and mediocrity, they'll keep doing the same thing forever (which is a tragedy because Universal can do so much better). I think that what keeps my faith alive is Nintendo (that looks like it's going to be amazing). So we'll see.

Nailed it.

Imagine a minions dark ride... it could be brilliant! And such a great use of the IP.

Doesn't seem like any consensus. It's all over the map so far. Good, bad, meh. Pretty disparate.
That's what I heard walking off the ride, too. Everything from "That was cute!" and "Can we go again?" to "Well, that was a waste of time" and "Was that supposed to be funny?"

Reactions: Mad Dog
What's the general consensus outside of us theme park wonks? Is there any, yet?
Well, this is a surprise.... I'm going to amend my previous post. I just did a post by post analysis of this thread since the softs started. The vast majority of negative opinions were by posters who have not yet experienced the attraction. So that kind of set a mood on this thread that is not backed up by those who actually experienced Race Through New York. I tabulated all of those people who said they rode it, or those tweets that were cited, of people doing the attraction. This is what I came up with. Unscientific, of course, but a pretty darn good sampling;

The Queue: *Like it: 26.................*Dislike: 1.....................*Meh: 2

Just the Ride portion: * Like it: 17.........*Dislike: 4...........*Meh 8

Results are fairly positive overall. This surprised me since reading all the negative comments from those that haven't actually experienced the attraction skewed the discussion away from the actual comments of those that rode it, which trends fairly positive. Edit: Considering, as Scott says, that we're probably the most critical people to experience the rides. Those are pretty good numbers considering this is a tough crowd. :)

Last edited:
Well, this is a surprise.... I'm going to amend my previous post. I just did a post by post analysis of this thread since the softs started. The vast majority of negative opinions were by posters who have not yet experienced the attraction. So that kind of set a mood on this thread that is not backed up by those who actually experienced Race Through New York. I tabulated all of those people who said they rode it, or those tweets that were cited, of people doing the attraction. This is what I came up with. Unscientific, of course, but a pretty darn good sampling;

The Queue: *Like it: 26.................*Dislike: 1.....................*Meh: 2

Just the Ride portion: * Like it: 17.........*Dislike: 4...........*Meh 8

Results are fairly positive overall. This surprised me since reading all the negative comments from those that haven't actually experienced the attraction skewed the discussion away from the actual comments of those that rode it, which trends fairly positive.

Realistically, you're going to get skewed results here. We can all pretend to be as open minded as possible but we're probably the most critical people to experience the rides.

Reactions: Jones14
It's a bit more complicated than just us being critical.

When you study a ride like this and if it's successful you look at if folks were brought in by the hype of it or word of mouth and then wether they intend to return and if they return.

There are some correlations in ratings, but most won't fall into liked/disliked dichotomy. People who like chocolate won't rate vanilla poorly and vice versa, even though they won't buy the other. So aside from what people say you have to look at what they actually do.

Heads up all, we're still watching this thread. It's interesting to see who's been around for a bit in theme parks and those who are new and their reactions. Several new people seem to love Twister and seen its removal for this in a similar light to the removal of Ghostbusters for Twister. Keep that in mind.

The entire attraction, not just the ride itself will be a hit as there are many many fans of late night, no matter who is the host. This was more of a way to get more people to visit the parks from inside the country, not like Nintendo that should bring outside visitors. Definitely updatable. They can literally change posters, the ride system and signage over night to accommodate another host if they wanted to.

For my part, I can't wait to see the Johnny Carson display in person. Of course, I also loved the Lucy museum (pardon the pun) so I may not be the one to ask.

Reactions: Alicia and Mad Dog
Heads up all, we're still watching this thread. It's interesting to see who's been around for a bit in theme parks and those who are new and their reactions. Several new people seem to love Twister and seen its removal for this in a similar light to the removal of Ghostbusters for Twister. Keep that in mind.

I still haven't got over Twister replacing Ghostbusters.