Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 188 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am wondering if they killed the motion in response to reports of nausea in the early tests? I don't do Simpsons any longer and maybe this was the same til they calmed it down?
Could be, they just need to even it out. Some parts are motionless, some jerk you around

Reactions: Mad Dog
I liked that moment most. Reminded me of Muppetvision where they do 3D gags like water flower, floating pie, even the 3D logo in the beginning, all while talking about how they're trying to do 3D things to mess with the audience.
Cool. And that irreverence is why the Muppets 3D movie is still one of the best.

Reactions: Alicia
Guys, the ride isn't meant to be taken seriously. Fallon literally stands up in the middle of the ride and says, "what else can we do in 3D?, I know, a t-shirt cannon" and then he shoots a t-shirt cannon at the audience to make fun of the 3d. The reason why it feels like a copy is because that's Fallon's humor. To view the world as ridiculous and silly.

I understand if you don't watch the show, you might not get it. But it is TOP QUALITY FALLON humor. I guarantee they were sitting around a writers room and at some point someone asked "what's next?" and someone else said "it would be cool if we could go to the moon and float in space", and everyone around that table said, great! Because that's what FALLON is. The fans will get that. Other people, not so much.
I get the sentiment o
Guys, the ride isn't meant to be taken seriously. Fallon literally stands up in the middle of the ride and says, "what else can we do in 3D?, I know, a t-shirt cannon" and then he shoots a t-shirt cannon at the audience to make fun of the 3d. The reason why it feels like a copy is because that's Fallon's humor. To view the world as ridiculous and silly.

I understand if you don't watch the show, you might not get it. But it is TOP QUALITY FALLON humor. I guarantee they were sitting around a writers room and at some point someone asked "what's next?" and someone else said "it would be cool if we could go to the moon and float in space", and everyone around that table said, great! Because that's what FALLON is. The fans will get that. Other people, not so much.
I think the style of the humor is coming across well. My issue was that many of the gags were direct lifts from attractions in the same park, one of which is a hundred yards away. The other issue for me is that the places and people that *are* supposed to be real don't look that way at all.

There may also have been an issue on my particular ride, but the 3-D effects did not seem to have any depth whatsoever. It was like watching a 2-D movie with glasses on for the most part.

Reactions: tankart150
I get the sentiment o

I think the style of the humor is coming across well. My issue was that many of the gags were direct lifts from attractions in the same park, one of which is a hundred yards away. The other issue for me is that the places and people that *are* supposed to be real don't look that way at all.

There may also have been an issue on my particular ride, but the 3-D effects did not seem to have any depth whatsoever. It was like watching a 2-D movie with glasses on for the most part.
To be fair, The Simpsons Ride is a direct rip off of the themes and gags of every major ride and attraction in Orlando. And I find it hilarious.

Meanwhile, Disney has ridiculously low expectations. Because of that, they seem poised to beat expectations most, if not all, of the time (see: Disney Springs dining, RoL, soon Avatar)
Whoa there, the Disney Springs dining is well deserving of any praise it's receiving. Outside of Planet Hollywood, the new dinging has been home run after home run.

you know, if Universal is going to have nothing from screen rides from now on, they should really just sell Customized 3D Glasses at the front of the gate that people can just carry around the park and use for all the rides...

Just Imagine, you can have your own Spiderman/harry potter/ Transformers/ Despicable me/Fast and Furious.. themed 3D glasses with a thicker frame that you can just bring to the park and not have to use the glasses given at the rides.

Turn Simpsons into a 3D screen ride (which would be easy) and you have a huge money maker.

Reactions: Coasted
you know, if Universal is going to have nothing from screen rides from now on, they should really just sell Customized 3D Glasses at the front of the gate that people can just carry around the park and use for all the rides...

Just Imagine, you can have your own Spiderman/harry potter/ Transformers/ Despicable me/Fast and Furious.. themed 3D glasses with a thicker frame that you can just bring to the park and not have to use the glasses given at the rides.

Turn Simpsons into a 3D screen ride (which would be easy) and you have a huge money maker.

That would be cool but they all have different screens and settings that work with the specific glasses.

To be fair, The Simpsons Ride is a direct rip off of the themes and gags of every major ride and attraction in Orlando. And I find it hilarious.
Yeah, but for Simpsons that feels like part of the point (it is a direct mockery of all things Disney, after all) and it also came out nearly a decade ago. Now it would seem Universal is falling into the trap they used to make fun of.

F&F is the last of screens
Hardly.

Maybe for the near future it is, but there will never be a "last of screens" just like "practical/AA attractions" will never go away. It's one of the main mediums used in creating theme park attractions.

Theme parks ebb and flow in what is popular at a given time and everything always circles back around. I would also say the ebb/flow of UOR is different from WDW.

UOR is coming out of a screens phase and moving into practical while Disney is moving to be very screen heavy over the next few years between Avatar, Star Wars and potentially replacing a practical giant in the GMR with a Mickey LPS (supposedly it's still got the green light according to Martin).

Hardly.

Maybe for the near future it is, but there will never be a "last of screens" just like "practical/AA attractions" will never go away. It's one of the main mediums used in creating theme park attractions.

Theme parks ebb and flow in what is popular at a given time and everything always circles back around. I would also say the ebb/flow of UOR is different from WDW.

UOR is coming out of a screens phase and moving into practical while Disney is moving to be very screen heavy over the next few years between Avatar, Star Wars and potentially replacing a practical giant in the GMR with a Mickey LPS (supposedly it's still got the green light according to Martin).
Yeah, it's kind of funny how all these tricks work in cycles. There's really only X number of ways to do an attraction, so there's bound to be periods when there's over reliance on a certain concept:).....I can just see 5 years down the line. Some fans will be screaming, "How come Universal hasn't been using screens. We loved those attractions. These non screen attractions don't tell a good story and aren't as much fun". :lol: :)...These comments on Race Through NY have been pretty divided so far. Most everyone loves the queue. Lot's say the 3D clarity is great. A few say it's terrible. Some want more motion. Some like the smooth motion. Some think its funny. Some think it's not funny. (Which just shows humor is subjective). Bottom line though, the response is better than I expected. I was expecting mostly negative, but right now it's looking like a toss up. But it sure seems like it will be good for capacity with two theaters and it keeps people off the streets for 30 minutes or so. And it looks good in that part of town.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speed and Nick
Yeah, it's kind of funny how all these tricks work in cycles. There's really only X number of ways to do an attraction, so there's bound to be periods when there's over reliance on a certain concept:).....I can just see 5 years down the line. Some fans will be screaming, "How come Universal haven't been using screens. We loved those attractions. These non screen attractions don't tell a good story and aren't as much fun". :lol: :)
Well in 5 years we might have a whole new theme park that will take care of that anyway :)

Not surprised at the poor reviews at all. People have been saying enough with the screens since before Transformers. So imagine now.

It doesn't bother me as much because I do skip rides at USF all the time but imagine being a first-time visitor and going from Shrek to Minions to Fallon to Transformers to Gringotts to Simpsons... You might say the GP eats this stuff up but they definitely know when they're seeing the same trick over and over.

Not surprised at the poor reviews at all. People have been saying enough with the screens since before Transformers. So imagine now.

It doesn't bother me as much because I do skip rides at USF all the time but imagine being a first-time visitor and going from Shrek to Minions to Fallon to Transformers to Gringotts to Simpsons... You might say the GP eats this stuff up but they definitely know when they're seeing the same trick over and over.
Shrek is actually the only unique one of the bunch when you think about it as it's the only attraction you listed that doesn't use the "simulated freefall" effect :lol:

Reactions: tankart150
I have to think that it may not have stationary seating, due to the ride system in place. Maybe @BriMan could answer that one.
Some people have compared it to Star Tours, which certainly doesn't have stationary seating, so I imagine you're right, but we should wait for someone who knows what they're talking about :lol:

Reactions: AlexanderMBush