Peacock (Streaming Service) | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacock (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It’s nice to hear a big increase in spending and finally hear the amount of paid subscribers as opposed to just the people signed up for an account.

Seeing what just happened to Netflix’s stock because their subscriber growth slowed, I do have to think that this quasi-pyramid scheme of all these streaming services spending way more than they make each year is going to have to end at some point and I do think it will lead to some services merging together or shuttering.

Something I could very easily see happening is Peacock and Paramount+ merging, which would create a much more dynamic service with a much larger library and way more originals and the service being owned at a 50/50 split.

Peacock spending is different than Netflix because its NBCUniversal just buying content and deciding whether it should go to peacock, cable/broadcast, or sky similar to Disney. Whereas Netflix buying content can only go on netflix.

What Peacock really needs to do IMO is start taking advantage of their Universal's catalog of IPs and get some tentpole shows based on their franchises like Fast and Furious or Shrek. That's how Disney has managed to stay ahead of most other streaming services: by spending money to do shows based on Marvel and Star Wars while also bringing back prolific stars for projects like Hocus Pocus 2, Monsters at Work, and Disenchanted. Even HBO Max is starting to get on board with this now, shown by Peacemaker probably being the most talked-about original since launching nearly 2 years ago. Reviving shows like Saved By the Bell, Punkey Brewster, and A.P. Bio just doesn't really do much for me.
HBO Max also has two spin-off shows from The Batman in development. They have a Gotham City PD and a Penguin show on the way. Matt Reeves is producing the Penguin series.

I mean, even after the Marvel rights were taken from them by Disney, Netflix has managed to keep their foot in the comic Book game with The Umbrella Academy, Lucifer (which is actually a DC project), they have streaming rights to CW content, and they tried with Jupiter's Legacy. Netflix also owns Millarworld comics, who has most famously created Kick-Ass. Wanted is another comic i'd be on the look out for to come to Netflix.

Similarly, Amazon has managed to get their foot firmly in the superhero door with The Boys and Invincible, while also firmly placing their foot not only in appointment television such as the upcoming Lord of the Rings show, Jack Ryan, The Wheel of Time, etc, while simultaneously releasing more awards worthy content or just general entertainment like Netflix does.

Peacock seems to really be focused on reviving the past.... the past sitcoms specifically. There needs to be a good balance between different genres and types of shows and to me I don't see it yet. The only thing i've signed up for to watch was Doctor Death. I signed up for one month and that was it. The goal of any streaming service is to not have that type of churn. They want to keep people subscribed by giving them a new reason every month.

Peacock spending is different than Netflix because its NBCUniversal just buying content and deciding whether it should go to peacock, cable/broadcast, or sky similar to Disney. Whereas Netflix buying content can only go on netflix.
I can guarantee going forward that Netflix is going to have to start changing their approach a little bit. I know Netflix said they would never have ads on their platform, but I think doing a lower priced tier ($7.99 like HBO Max) that has ads and then having other tiers that have different things, it would not only give them a new source of revenue, but their highest tier would increase it's price (while introducing a lower priced ad-supported option).

Also, sure, Netflix has always said that their stuff is going to go straight to them, but they have a lot of big movies these days with big stars. If Wall Street demands it enough, I could easily see a world where Red Notice 2 debuts in theaters 30 days before going to Netflix. Have a film that has some big stars like The Rock, Gal Gadot, and Ryan Reynolds make a lot of money and then send it to streaming where a ton of people will still watch it.

I know it may not seem like it, but we're still in the early stages of figuring out how streaming is going to actually work as an actual profitable business model. I see a lot of changes still ahead of us and just because Netflix is king doesn't mean they won't make some big ones.

Reactions: natespf
Two things I’d love to see

puss and Boots 2 (yeah yeah it has a th show but I want a movie grade animated like the first film and original cast)

second am office spinoff/kinda sequel made by Greg Daniels

third the office super fan editions to come out quicker

I do want to point something out. Everyone is focused on the scripted but I think where Peacock signs in the unscripted. Outside the US before Peacock, NBCuniversal has an app dedicated to their unscripted line up called Hayu which was a massive success and still running.

There is a huge reason why NBCUniversal pushed Real Housewives (which makes Universal so much money which is why they are 80 million spin offs) and Below Deck both have two Peacock exclusive spin off shows. The fanbases are active, the content trends, and it makes memes and gifs that go viral. (the two women yelling and the cat came from Real Housewives series).

Regarding scripted, Universal does has a lot coming to Peacock.(based on IP, Julie Plec is their one bringing Vampire Academy and other YA books series to peacock)

JUST AS A NOTE THIS WAS IN DEVELOPMENT BEFORE TIGER KING CAME OUT

I do want to point something out. Everyone is focused on the scripted but I think where Peacock signs in the unscripted. Outside the US before Peacock, NBCuniversal has an app dedicated to their unscripted line up called Hayu which was a massive success and still running.

There is a huge reason why NBCUniversal pushed Real Housewives (which makes Universal so much money which is why they are 80 million spin offs) and Below Deck both have two Peacock exclusive spin off shows. The fanbases are active, the content trends, and it makes memes and gifs that go viral. (the two women yelling and the cat came from Real Housewives series).

Regarding scripted, Universal does has a lot coming to Peacock.(based on IP, Julie Plec is their one bringing Vampire Academy and other YA books series to peacock)

JUST AS A NOTE THIS WAS IN DEVELOPMENT BEFORE TIGER KING CAME OUT

That's all well and good, but not everyone is into unscripted content. That's why Netflix makes literally any kind of content you could want. Their only competition in terms of variety is HBO Max.

A good example of what i'm talking about in terms of Peacock relying on unscripted content is Paramount+. They have a VAST catalog of unscripted reality content. Literally going back 30 years when you talk about something like Real World and then Survivor, Big Brother, The Amazing Race, and The Challenge has all been on the air for 20+ years and then there's Ru Paul's Drag Race which has been on over 10 years.

But if you aren't interested in that kind of content, they provide a lot of GREAT scripted originals from Star Trek: Picard, The Stand, The Good Fight (which I don't personally watch, but is really popular and critically acclaimed), Mayor of Kingstown, 1883, Guilty Party, The Twilight Zone, etc. Both South Park Post-Covid specials were gold, too, along with Queenpins being a really solid film that i'd recommend to all. This is the type of diversity that Peacock originals lack, imo.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Netflix shows are big international series meaning everyone around the world is watching the exact same show/series. Same thing with Disney.

But that's only one form of the business and likely cuts into the formats side.

Maybe it benefits Peacock to not have super popular shows in order to sell formats to other countries.

A format is a version of a show that they own adapted to a local country. Such as the Quebec version of Brooklyn 99, The german version of the Office (which is based off the american version rather than the UK version) Russian version of Superstore, the Korean, Japanese, and now Arabic version of Suits and more,

It benefits Peacock not to get big so they can sell these formats to foreign partners for their streaming services as they make money off it.

Netflix shows are big international series meaning everyone around the world is watching the exact same show/series. Same thing with Disney.

But that's only one form of the business and likely cuts into the formats side.

Maybe it benefits Peacock to not have super popular shows in order to sell formats to other countries.

A format is a version of a show that they own adapted to a local country. Such as the Quebec version of Brooklyn 99, The german version of the Office (which is based off the american version rather than the UK version) Russian version of Superstore, the Korean, Japanese, and now Arabic version of Suits and more,

It benefits Peacock not to get big so they can sell these formats to foreign partners for their streaming services as they make money off it.
This is the craziest defense of something I’ve really ever heard.

“It actually benefits them to not get big because reasons. If they get too big people might like them!”

This is the craziest defense of something I’ve really ever heard.

“It actually benefits them to not get big because reasons. If they get too big people might like them!”

I'm not being outlandish in my assumptions but like i said, there is an effect and more so was inspired by this article.

Its a lot harder for a company to justify repurposing a show for regional audiences if the show is too big. Netflix can't sell a regional version of Stranger Things to 5 different countries and make profit from it in perpetuity while not having to lift one finger or pay a dime (would you watch the practically the same show with just a different cast/language). Same thing with all the Star Wars/Marvel shows on DIsney Plus and the big shows on Amazon due to their worldwide availabity/subtitles. They (NBCUniversal) get all the exposure of the show (increased value of the IP through regional formats), they get their cut, and they don't have to pay for production.

Two things I’d love to see

puss and Boots 2 (yeah yeah it has a th show but I want a movie grade animated like the first film and original cast)

second am office spinoff/kinda sequel made by Greg Daniels

third the office super fan editions to come out quicker

It has been said on both Office ladies podcast and the Office Deep Dive podcast that Steve Carell has a solid idea for a reboot/sequel to the office. Not sure if it will ever come to fruition but there is interest. Side note if you are a fan of The Office I can’t recommend those podcasts enough, highly informative and entertaining.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
It has been said on both Office ladies podcast and the Office Deep Dive podcast that Steve Carell has a solid idea for a reboot/sequel to the office. Not sure if it will ever come to fruition but there is interest. Side note if you are a fan of The Office I can’t recommend those podcasts enough, highly informative and entertaining.
I have listen to the Office Ladies. And hope we do get a show then...even if they can only pay for ten episodes a season

Hvae you read/listened to The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000s: An Oral History? That's also a great source of fun Office info and behind the scenes stories.

Reactions: Doug A. and Nico

Last edited:
A guilty pleasure my fiancee got me hooked on. Messing with the formula a little putting in a hot younger captain rather than an obvious parent figure. Curious to see how it works now.

I already hyped...the last few seasons of OG Below deck and BDM have not hit the spot....as for Below Deck Sailing Yacht, its just been alright. But this looks a lot more fun and wild without the same amount of nonsense as the other ships.

Reactions: SeventyOne