Opinion: Then vs Now | Inside Universal Forums

Opinion: Then vs Now

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 3, 2008
Cincy > Atl > LA
Before I start letting it all out there, I just want to go on the record and state that I have the utmost respect for Universal Creative, it's directors, and Universal as a company. It's a hard job toput on such an amazing event that takes a team and a lot of other factors. I am not one of those bitter "the old days were the best" kind of people and I go every year to the event and I love it. I will continue to go. Having said that, this post is about the change of overall quality since the departure of James Michael-Roddy as Head Creative Director.

I personally feel that Mike Aiello isn't the guy for this job. Since the year he took control of the event and when Roddy moved over to Disney, HHN has seen major changes. Some good some bad. I feel that there is a huge difference between being a fan and being an innovator. Murdy out in Hollywood is a "fan" and by fan I mean that he isn't capable of creating fresh ideas. He loves so many horror properties and just wants to replicate them. He does nothing on a deeper level. That is why, again in my opinion, that Hollywood is never as strong as Orlando and the reason Hollywood often repeats their scarezones and houses on a yearly basis. For Aiello, I believe he is a "fan" as well. It wasn't until he took control that we saw a spike in IP houses. I have no problem with IP's as they can often be great and draw a large number of crowds. I know that a lot of this is probably out of Aiello's hands because Marketing has a pretty large say. The problem I have is that for the first time in HHN history we are starting to see repeats of these houses and scarezones. American Werewolf in London was great but to have the exact same house done within only a couple years felt very stale. I'll skip Walking Dead because we al know that was all strictly marketing's call. But The Purge? There isn't much you can do to change it or make it fresh. The lack of ideas are starting to pile up. 2 years of a Purge scarezone withing a few years, a Purge house (because Scream fell through), and now Purge represented in another house. Really?

The Scarezones have become more like mini-shows since Aiello took over. Especially this year. It seems like the actors are instructed to put on a show instead of actually trying to scare people. They even have stages to do shows. It's cool and all but if you can't blend the scares with the shows than it's pointless. Everything has become a photo-op and show. This year it seems that almost all of the scarezones are photo-ops with shows. I do love it when the scareactors won't pose for pics. Every zone this year has a "show" and it's way overused. Use that energy on maybe actually scaring people.

The Music. Since the departure of Roddy, the music has gone from an eerie sountrack to an upbeat party soundtrack. Heck, even last year I saw on some boards that people were complaining about it and magically within the first few weeks the soundtrack at the event had changed to be a little more creepy. I feel like Aiello treats the event as a party and not a horror event. Also, every year before Aiello took over, the music was different. Now the past 3 years I have heard the same carnival song. It worked for 25 and 26 but this year? What the hell. It was playing near Blumhouse. Gone are the eerie scores from Midnight Syndicate or Nox Arcana. The atomosFEAR has changed drastically. Everything is just lacking.

The Facades have drastically changed. This year is probably the year with the least. A cutout for HIVE. No real facade for The Shining. No facade for SAW. The list goes on and on. When Roddy ran the event, the entrances were grand and exciting. Some of this carried over into HHN 21, the year after he left, but it eventually transformed into the Aiello standard.

I don't want to keep going on and on so I'll end it with the most over talked about topic. The Icons and story. Since Aiello took control there hasn't been a memorable icon or story for us hardcore fans. Everything is just thrown together with a loose tie or no tie-in at all. Again, the difference between fan and innovator. When Kenny Babel and James Michael-Roddy ran the show things were original and actually had a layer of fear and creative stories and icons. They would even make amazing queue and archway videos. Fear may have sucked as an icon but at least he had a cool story that tied other icons together along with a video to explain it. This year, it's like they wanted to do some festival theme but never followed through with it. It makes little sense.

Year by year Orlando becomes more and more like Hollywood's event. 25 was a step in the right direction of creative and innovative. The perfect blend of new and old. 27 has been three steps back. I think Aiello is a great guy and loves horror. I just don't think he's the right guy for the job. The event has become less scary and more like a party. A party I will continue to go to and enjoy but I am definitely ready for somebody fresh to take over. Somebody that knows what Horror Nights is really all about.

Thoughts?

*The Poll question doesn't have to do with the use of IP's. It has to do with the overall change. Lack of facades, uninspired music, party atmosphere, repeated houses and scarezones, no story or icon, less scary, shows in scarezones, etc.

Last edited:
I blame the exceptional expectations of fanboys who prefer to hold on to previous memories than accept what they have. Especially when they don't consider everything that goes into the event and the history of the event itself.

For starters, a lesson on the structure of Universal's departments:

Universal Creative - Develops attractions, rides, and areas of the theme parks. These are permanent installs. They have NOTHING TO DO WITH HORROR NIGHTS.

Entertainment - This is umbrella term that includes Events, Art & Design, Tech, Performers, etc. Within the context of this department, Art & Design are the ones who write scripts, design sets and costumes, and direct all live-shows within the park. Predominately, they're focus is on short-term stuff; things that are seasonal or have an inevitable end (though that may be open ended, like SuperStar). Art & Design are the ones who design and "create" HHN, parades, Grinchmas, etc.

Marketing - They develop and manage the advertising efforts for everything in the park. That includes hotels, attractions, and events.

Now, when "Roddy ran the event," it was actually TJ and Timon (can't remember his first name) in charge of Entertainment. Roddy was a key person in Art and Design, and also TJ's protégé. Mike was Roddy's protégé. That chain is important to remember. Here's another tidbit: Screamhouse in 2002 (which established the standard for quality through the aughts) was developed mostly by TJ. Not Roddy. In fact, Roddy never made an appearance at the rehearsals for that house. It was all TJ.

Roddy gets a lot of credit for the event during that time period because he was the face of the event. But it was TJ who allowed a good bit of bleed-over in who did what. A&D was able to establish their own marketing strategies because TJ allowed it. The augmented reality aspect of Terra Cruentes happened because TJ allowed it. All that was allowed because the park had nothing else to hang their hat on. To say "Roddy Roddy Roddy" ignores the contributions of Kim and Mike and Kenny and Lora and countless others we never hear about.

Roddy "created" Jack. Who was basically Pennywise. When he went to Busch Gardens, he created Trickster. Roddy is a super-creative guy.

Now, when Roddy was (justifiably) let go, his protégé of a decade shifted over into the lead position in A&D. Oh, and Comcast bought their parent company, which changed the overall philosophy of the park. Harry Potter happened, meaning HHN wasn't the only reason to go to Universal anymore. Most important though, other people got fired or left for better opportunities. People got promoted, changing their responsibilities. New people came in. With new people, new talents and ideas and opportunities popped up. That's what happens in a business. New blood brings new things. People like Patrick and Blake, who are actually the ones running HHN now. Because Mike is Creative Director of Entertainment. All of it. He doesn't have time to select every song. Just like Roddy didn't have time to select every song.

This is also ignoring the fact that the AUDIENCE has changed. Horror isn't a niche anymore. It's a big business with big IPs people want to experience that only Universal can do right. There's also more people attending, which requires unique solutions to protect performers. Like stages.

I have a lot of problems with the way HHN is RUN. Operational stuff. Performer management. Planning and communication. My issues with the event have nothing to with the product. My annoyances are things guests never see, because the product remains luxury-class. If a guest has issues with the product, actual specific issues with the product as purchased, then stop buying it. Because the changes were inevitable. To attempt to cast blame on anyone person or moment is naïve.

Here is how I see it. Back then, buying your tickets was an "event". Going on the HHN website was exciting and really set the tone for the event. The site would have games, a backstory, videos, etc. Universal would create package invitations and send them out to sites like screamscape and well known vloggers. The entrance to the Studios was also decked out.

Universal doesn't have to do this anymore. They don't need to spend thousands of dollars on marketing. The crowds will come whether they do it or not because they have a loyal base. However, I feel like if they continue down this path, they will have to go back to what made them the "Primer Halloween Event", bringing back the awesome marketing, scarezones, food/drinks.

product remains luxury-class.

That's a stretch

Last edited:
Other events may be scarier or feel more intimate (mostly due to smaller audience) but you'd be hard-pressed to find another event like HHN that carries the same budget and design capabilities. Only one I can think of is maybe Knott's (as far as design), but I am basing that off of videos.

Waiting in hour+ long lines, many times in the rain, to see a 3 minute house isn't a "luxurious" experience to me. It may be a fun time but that's the wrong word. I would agree that the houses are top notch but everything outside the houses has gone down these past 3 years.

Any thoughts on everything besides that "product remains luxury-class" quote?

Last edited:
Waiting in hour+ long lines, many times in the rain, to see a 3 minute house isn't a "luxurious" experience to me. It may be a fun time but that's the wrong word. I would agree that the houses are top notch but everything outside the houses has gone down these past 3 years.

Well that's experience - which can change depending on the day. With that said, Legacy was approaching it from a product standpoint.

I literally address all of it.

Things change. That's inevitable. Deal and stop complaining or quit going.

The guy (one guy) who would build the games on the site literally left Universal (in 2013, I believe). And it was just something he did in his off time. Just like a lot of the queue videos in the 2000s were made by an employee who just happened to have their own personal, high-quality, camera.

What everybody misses came from a lack of professionalism and accountability. It was "funsies." It's an actual business now.

I literally address all of it.

Things change. That's inevitable. Deal and stop complaining or quit going.

The guy (one guy) who would build the games on the site literally left Universal (in 2013, I believe). And it was just something he did in his off time. Just like a lot of the queue videos in the 2000s were made by an employee who just happened to have their own personal, high-quality, camera.

What everybody misses came from a lack of professionalism and accountability. It was "funsies." It's an actual business now.

Someone is triggered. So the lack of a decorated front entrance, press packages, elaborate scare zones, amazing websites are due to a "lack of professionalism"? That was all done for "funsies"? It's those extra "funsie" elements that make events special and unique. It's always been a business, now they just could get away with doing less because of people like you. When things go mainstream, they tend to become insipid.

Reactions: IOA Explorer
Someone is triggered. So the lack of a decorated front entrance, press packages, elaborate scare zones, amazing websites are due to a "lack of professionalism"? That was all done for "funsies"? It's those extra "funsie" elements that make events special and unique. It's always been a business, now they just could get away with doing less because of people like you. When things go mainstream, they tend to become insipid.

:rolleyes:

So what you’re saying is that Universal has gotten lazy and they don’t care because they know no matter what their product will sell? To that I say that their head or Entertainment (Aiello) shouldn’t be content with that and stick up for A&D. If T.J. let them do it then why won’t Aiello? I’m just saying that everything really started to change with the passing of the torch. Everything points back to that. The event had had the same feel and ideas up until that point. Also, Jack is not like Pennywise. By saying that, you have to say every evil clown is just like Pennywise. And that’s not true. To add to the point of Universal being lazy and running out of ideas this years Festival of the Deadliest is just a knock off of the Festival of the Dead scarezone from years ago. Which IMO was 100x’s better.

Last edited:
Personally, I like some of the new changes and quite like the recent few years. It seems as though there are a few negatives arising, the event is getting better. The houses have been more fun for me year by year, and my excitement only increases for what's to come next.
However, it truly is an opinion and I understand others have been rather unhappy with these changes.

Reactions: IOA Explorer
So what you’re saying is that Universal has gotten lazy and they don’t care because they know no matter what their product will sell? To that I say that their head or Entertainment (Aiello) shouldn’t be content with that and stick up for A&D. If T.J. let them do it then why won’t Aiello? I’m just saying that everything really started to change with the passing of the torch. Everything points back to that. The event had had the same feel and ideas up until that point. Also, Jack is not like Pennywise. By saying that, you have to say every evil clown is just like Pennywise. And that’s not true. To add to the point of Universal being lazy and running out of ideas this years Festival of the Deadliest is just a knock off of the Festival of the Dead scarezone from years ago. Which IMO was 100x’s better.

The quality IS there, but it depends on where you look.

As far as creative elements, I get the impression that this year seems to be far more of a year of change; and that next year will be no different due to loss of locations. Things are being re-adjusted, and that you also have to keep in mind that Orlando and Hollywood are also seeming to be re-structuring their holiday events; with Orlando seeming to be the biggest when you think about it. In a sense, these next few years are probably going to be re-adjustment periods for creative and marketing. And that I am going to be curious to see how things pan out.

So what you’re saying is that Universal has gotten lazy and they don’t care because they know no matter what their product will sell? To that I say that their head or Entertainment (Aiello) shouldn’t be content with that and stick up for A&D. If T.J. let them do it then why won’t Aiello? I’m just saying that everything really started to change with the passing of the torch. Everything points back to that.
Yep. People who ignore contextual explanations because the reality doesn’t fit their idealistic and simple proclamations of why things are bad are my trigger.

The people who designed the event NO LONGER DESIGN THE EVENT NOW. The primary decision makers now are different than they were then. The philosophy of the entire resort has changed.

Things changed because that’s what things do. Different people with different interests and ideas do different things. The “fictional reality” houses (Forsaken, Roanoke, Hive) were developed by a guy who came in in 2009-2010. Fallen was developed by a newer guy.

To call the event “lazy” is an insult. An actual insult. It might not be your bag anymore, but there are more houses, effects, and design work put in now then there ever was then.

The continued success of the event shows it still works without wasting resources on arch decorations or online games. If that stuff were vital, they would still do it. But when the finite amount of funds force cuts to actual houses, I’d rather the money go there than stuff no one cares about once they’re in the park.

If you don’t like the event now, stop going. But it’s not bad or lesser or lazy. The quality is higher than ever. It’s just different from what you want or what you’re comfortable with. Until what’s different stops being successful, nothing is actually wrong.

You just don’t like the change.

Murdy is a huge problem in my opinion. He’s what is holding Hollywood back from being great. He’s garbage as a creative. He’s a great guy. Just terrible at running the event.
If it weren’t for Murdy, there would be fewer IPs. Murdy’s obsession with them is why Orlando keeps getting included in package deals.

Last edited:
Well this group of people don’t seem to care as much as compared to T.J., Roddy, and the rest of that team. This team cares more about the product and less about it as an event.
Yep. People who ignore contextual explanations because the reality doesn’t fit their idealistic and simple proclamations of why things are bad are my trigger.

The people who designed the event NO LONGER DESIGN THE EVENT NOW. The primary decision makers now are different than they were then. The philosophy of the entire resort has changed.

Things changed because that’s what things do. Different people with different interests and ideas do different things. The “fictional reality” houses (Forsaken, Roanoke, Hive) were developed by a guy who came in in 2009-2010. Fallen was developed by a newer guy.

To call the event “lazy” is an insult. An actual insult. It might not be your bag anymore, but there are more houses, effects, and design work put in now then there ever was then.

The continued success of the event shows it still works without wasting resources on arch decorations or online games. If that stuff were vital, they would still do it. But when the finite amount of funds force cuts to actual houses, I’d rather the money go there than stuff no one cares about once they’re in the park.

If you don’t like the event now, stop going. But it’s not bad or lesser or lazy. The quality is higher than ever. It’s just different from what you want or what you’re comfortable with. Until what’s different stops being successful, nothing is actually wrong.

You just don’t like the change.

Jack is not evil just mis-understood :p