Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

"Old School" Universal Orlando

that prob because most people dont know earthquake was a movie.

What a disappointing movie that was to watch when I was younger, I thought it was going to be a comedy. The ride had funny moments and George Kennedy was in it who I only knew from Naked Gun and from my young movie experience, actors only did the same types of movies.

I'm bumping this thread to post this video (courtesy of @Ryan who shared it in the E.T. thread) of extensive footage of a family's trip to Universal Studios Florida in 1990.

This is essential viewing, especially for those who might not have been around for (or have memories of) this early period in the park's history. The first part of the video, showing the original entrance and parking areas, is particularly valuable to get a sense of how different things once were. I haven't watched the entire video yet (being at work, I'm trying to get some work done!), but I figured putting it here would prevent the E.T. thread from derailing if people want to talk about what they see!

I’m only a few minutes in, and I already notice a major change. The entrance used to not be as odd Center from the park a sit is now (if you catch my drift). With Nickelodeon as a part of the park and the far back portions of the park not guest areas, the old entrance was better centered for guest flow.

And there actually used to be performances on the Mel’s Stage.

Last edited:
Interesting to see the promotional design esthetic back in 1991. The red on yellow is so heavy and smacks of something you would see in China.

Gosh I miss Jaws.

I loved that park back in the 90’s. While Diagon is cool and we have some great rides like Mummy, Transformers, and MIB, I just don’t care for the park as much.

Thanks for the throwback photos.

The park looks so... open back in those early photos - even watching back old videos from that time of JAWS, the ride looked completely different - it's funny how much the growth of trees etc. can completely change the way an area looks. Only now am I realizing there was no extended queue for the ride back then - did that get constructed along with version 2?

The park looks so... open back in those early photos - even watching back old videos from that time of JAWS, the ride looked completely different - it's funny how much the growth of trees etc. can completely change the way an area looks. Only now am I realizing there was no extended queue for the ride back then - did that get constructed along with version 2?
Even recently when they tore down Jaws, & before Diagon was built, that area ended up looking very barren & open until the buildings went up. You were able to see those townhomes behind Jaws and it really ruined the aesthetic & immersion of the entire park.

Even recently when they tore down Jaws, & before Diagon was built, that area ended up looking very barren & open until the buildings went up. You were able to see those townhomes behind Jaws and it really ruined the aesthetic & immersion of the entire park.
To this day I still cannot look at the demolition photos.. it's probably a bit pathetic, I know, but the ride was just a huge part of every vacation for me as a kid and was always my favorite attraction. Obsessed would probably be a fitting description :lol: I know the buildings you're talking about, though (I think). There's an apartment complex that was constructed right behind where the 2nd fin appeared before the boathouse, and they were actually pretty visible through the trees.

I found this one on Twitter a while back and thought it was interesting - I've always loved these behind the scenes bits.
Y3QFTBa.jpg

To this day I still cannot look at the demolition photos.. it's probably a bit pathetic, I know, but the ride was just a huge part of every vacation for me as a kid and was always my favorite attraction. Obsessed would probably be a fitting description :lol: I know the buildings you're talking about, though (I think). There's an apartment complex that was constructed right behind where the 2nd fin appeared before the boathouse, and they were actually pretty visible through the trees.

I found this one on Twitter a while back and thought it was interesting - I've always loved these behind the scenes bits.
Y3QFTBa.jpg
Very cool! That's a picture I've never seen before! I'm assuming they're programming the fire?

So if anybody wants to continue the "Then vs. Now" discussion that's been going on in the Jurassic Park Expansion thread, this seems to be the more appropriate place.