MSHI Expansion? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Where is this 2050 year coming from? I have read that old contract before and it appears that Universal can continue to use the licensed IPs with regional exclusivity as long as they want if they do not breach.

Reactions: Joel
Thanks for clearing this up, I thought I had seen somewhere that IOA couldnt do much more than improve existing stuff at MSHI. Looks like Disney is a little more than just a pebble...
As far as not using an characters from the cinematic universe... i'm almost certain it's only X-men, Fantastic Four and The Avengers Family of characters. It's blatantly written into the contract that those are the only characters Uni has exclusivity over.

I'm no lawyer, so someone prove me wrong if I am, but from what i'e read it seems like it is possible Disney can build Marvel at WDW as long as it doesn't involve characters from those families. The Guardians Preview seems like the first sign that those types of characters can be used in-park imo. We didn't see an extended movie preview for Captain America after all and it could easily be argued in court that this this is an "attraction". You go into a theater and watch a movie (in 3D!) for 17 mins. No different than me going to see Philhar really, minus the 4D elements.

But again, even if they technically could be used, the likelihood of Disney going forward on an attraction (Other than Big Hero 6) would seem odd when there's an entire land based on Marvel at IOA.

Last edited:
I wish Uni would add an Asgard experience where you are transported to the planet Asgard with some cheap disco lights effects and have a meet and great with the big cheese or an amazing experience where you could see all the suits from Iron man, that would be enough to do with this franchise I'm sure.

Isn't that what they did at Disneyland? :lol:

As far as not using an characters from the cinematic universe... i'm almost certain it's only X-men, Fantastic Four and The Avengers Family of characters. It's blatantly written into the contract that those are the only characters Uni has exclusivity over.

I'm no lawyer, so someone prove me wrong if I am, but from what i'e read it seems like it is possible Disney can build Marvel at WDW as long as it doesn't involve characters from those families. The Guardians Preview seems like the first sign that those types of characters can be used in-park imo. We didn't see an extended movie preview for Captain America after all and it could easily be argued in court that this this is an "attraction". You go into a theater and watch a movie (in 3D!) for 17 mins. No different than me going to see Philhar really, minus the 4D elements.

But again, even if they technically could be used, the likelihood of Disney going forward on an attraction (Other than Big Hero 6) would seem odd when there's an entire land based on Marvel at IOA.

You forgot Spider-Man, which is kind of self explanatory. Universal has a strong hold on him and his characters here and in Japan. But most of Marvel's characters fall under what Universal has the rights to. Guardians of the Galaxy is a unique one since they don't technically belong to any of those. Though I've seen some GotG toys at the gift shop in IOA before. Universal has the rights to any Marvel character that matters, so WDW has no real motive to include any of these minor Marvel characters they may be able to use. MAYBE if GotG kills it in the box office you'll see something small, but I doubt it. Disney moves things at a snail's pace so if they wanted to make a GotG attraction, the movie would be outdated by the time it opens. Disney doesn't seem to be in that big of a hurry to include Marvel at their parks anyways. Some minor temporary stuff at Disneyland and some sort of Star Tours re-do with Iron Man in one of their Asian parks is all they've really got going on. I feel like if Universal could and wanted to do something new with Marvel here in Florida, they'd build something cooler and faster than Disney would.

The details of the contract basically have MSHI frozen in its current state until 2050. Nothing can really be added or removed unless both parties (Uni and Marvel/Disney) agree to it separately.

It also looks like Disney can't use any Marvel characters at WDW, regardless if it's the cinematic universe interpretation of them.

Here's the original contract for reference. Keep in mind there could be additional addendums that we are not privy to.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

My guess is that MSHI stays frozen the way it is until Universal decides to close it (never) or Disney buys Uni out of the contract.

I don't think Disney is shaking in their boots since the comic book versions of the characters aren't the moneymakers anyway. The movie versions are.

As this argument has been stated on many different forums, Universal can do whatever they want with MSHI as long as it doesn't destroy the credibility of the comic book universe or negatively represent the characters. Nothing about MSHI is frozen until 2050. If that was the case, they wouldn't be allowed to update the Spiderman ride which Disney owned Marvel approved.

It would be dumb to update the rest of the park and leave the third most popular section not updated.

Last edited:
You forgot Spider-Man, which is kind of self explanatory. Universal has a strong hold on him and his characters here and in Japan. But most of Marvel's characters fall under what Universal has the rights to. Guardians of the Galaxy is a unique one since they don't technically belong to any of those. Though I've seen some GotG toys at the gift shop in IOA before. Universal has the rights to any Marvel character that matters, so WDW has no real motive to include any of these minor Marvel characters they may be able to use. MAYBE if GotG kills it in the box office you'll see something small, but I doubt it. Disney moves things at a snail's pace so if they wanted to make a GotG attraction, the movie would be outdated by the time it opens. Disney doesn't seem to be in that big of a hurry to include Marvel at their parks anyways. Some minor temporary stuff at Disneyland and some sort of Star Tours re-do with Iron Man in one of their Asian parks is all they've really got going on. I feel like if Universal could and wanted to do something new with Marvel here in Florida, they'd build something cooler and faster than Disney would.
Agree for the most part. I do think Big Hero 6 Could be something that would fit nicely in DHS and I feel like by many, it will be seen as more of a Disney animated movie than a Marvel film anyway, so if anything is to come to WDW out of the usable characters anytime in the foreseeable future, it'd be them.

But back to this Coaster idea... I wonder how they would do it without screens. I wonder if they would go more practical sets (ala Space Mountain), more cardboard cutout looking pieces (ala RNRC), or something totally different?

As this argument has been stated on many different forums, Universal can do whatever they want with MSHI as long as it doesn't destroy the credibility of the comic book universe or negatively represent the characters. Nothing about MSHI is frozen until 2050. If that was the case, they wouldn't be allowed to update the Spiderman ride which Disney owned Marvel approved.

It would be dumb to update the rest of the park and leave the third most popular section not updated.

Yes, I am still not sure where that 2050 year came from. Possibly it was originally brought up figuratively or hypothetically.

Disney could make Universal jump thru hoops to expand from the existing contract (or ask for ridiculous royalties), but they could not arbitrarily shut it down. But remember the decisions would depend on what is best for Marvel and The Walt Disney Corp. as a whole and not necessarily just their Parks and Resorts division. We all know that Disney World Resort and Universal Orlando Resort are in competition, but their parent companies have been known to work together.

If there is an expansion, I'm guessing it would go to the barely used theater next to MSHI...and I definitely think it would either be IronMan or Avengers themed.

As I posted on the magical WDW site...the thought of having Universal Creative AND WDI creating IronMan attractions at the same time (IOA and HKDL respectively) is incredible, as far as seeing the differences in what they would do.

If there is an expansion, I'm guessing it would go to the barely used theater next to MSHI...and I definitely think it would either be IronMan or Avengers themed.

As I posted on the magical WDW site...the thought of having Universal Creative AND WDI creating IronMan attractions at the same time (IOA and HKDL respectively) is incredible, as far as seeing the differences in what they would do.
Since we know HKDL's is pretty much Star tours, I imagine it being underwhelming already.

But back to this Coaster idea... I wonder how they would do it without screens. I wonder if they would go more practical sets (ala Space Mountain), more cardboard cutout looking pieces (ala RNRC), or something totally different?

I'm imagining something along the lines of RnRC or Mummy in terms of being a fairly sparsely themed dark show building for the main body of the coaster. Considering the body position, I'd cover the entire floor under the ride path with screens to create a kind of dynamic live backdrop but under instead of around you, with a top-down cityscape, moving clouds, and whatever other cool things might fit in with that.

I'm imagining something along the lines of RnRC or Mummy in terms of being a fairly sparsely themed dark show building for the main body of the coaster. Considering the body position, I'd cover the entire floor under the ride path with screens to create a kind of dynamic live backdrop but under instead of around you, with a top-down cityscape, moving clouds, and whatever other cool things might fit in with that.
Ahh, something like Mummy would be nice sets wise. I haven't been on it in awhile so it totally slipped my mind.

I also would like to see this happen because Marvel is probably the smallest island in the park. I feel like Hogsmeade might be smaller but it's spread out over 2 parks now. Sometimes I feel like Jurassic Park goes on for miles. But I guess you could make the argument Marvel has the most attractions in one island. I don't know, I just really hope this happens. And reading through it doesn't seem like Disney is a big road block

I also would like to see this happen because Marvel is probably the smallest island in the park. I feel like Hogsmeade might be smaller but it's spread out over 2 parks now. Sometimes I feel like Jurassic Park goes on for miles. But I guess you could make the argument Marvel has the most attractions in one island. I don't know, I just really hope this happens. And reading through it doesn't seem like Disney is a big road block
Ah, but it has the most rides.

Cool concept, but not one I see happening for a while, if ever. If rumors are to be believed, it seems they have other fish to fry first, so I'm not holding my breath. It would sure be a nice addition to MSHI though!

As this argument has been stated on many different forums, Universal can do whatever they want with MSHI as long as it doesn't destroy the credibility of the comic book universe or negatively represent the characters.

Quinn, that's absolutely not true. The agreement states that Marvel gets reasonable approval over everything in that section of the park. So let's say Universal wanted to build an Iron Man ride. Marvel/Disney would have to approve. And they wouldn't.

Something like a visual upgrade to Spider-Man where the storyline stays identical is an easy approval. "Hey Marvel, we're just updating the ride film so your characters appear in the best way possible." "Okay, approved!"

So no, Uni does not have carte blanche to do whatever they want.

Quinn, that's absolutely not true. The agreement states that Marvel gets reasonable approval over everything in that section of the park. So let's say Universal wanted to build an Iron Man ride. Marvel/Disney would have to approve. And they wouldn't.

Something like a visual upgrade to Spider-Man where the storyline stays identical is an easy approval. "Hey Marvel, we're just updating the ride film so your characters appear in the best way possible." "Okay, approved!"

So no, Uni does not have carte blanche to do whatever they want.

Reasonable approval...you said it. Just because Disney doesn't like the idea doesn't mean they can say no. They have to have a legit justification otherwise Universal can take them in arbitration. Things that qualify for legit justification include negatively affect the reputation of said character, lack of credibility of story line, and lack of focus. The contract favors Universal greatly in that. So if they kept the coaster true to the Iron Man focus, Disney can't do crap about it. Therefore yes in a way Uni does have carte blanche to do whatever they want. Yes Marvel does have to approve it but they have little justification on why they can't allow something. Its not the JKR or Geisel level contract.

Reasonable approval...you said it. Just because Disney doesn't like the idea doesn't mean they can say no. They have to have a legit justification otherwise Universal can take them in arbitration. Things that qualify for legit justification include negatively affect the reputation of said character, lack of credibility of story line, and lack of focus. The contract favors Universal greatly in that. So if they kept the coaster true to the Iron Man focus, Disney can't do crap about it. Therefore yes in a way Uni does have carte blanche to do whatever they want. Yes Marvel does have to approve it but they have little justification on why they can't allow something. Its not the JKR or Geisel level contract.

Notice that the trump card is Disney's opinion of the plans, so Uni does not have carte blanche.