Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS) | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That fast of a turnaround schedule would imply that the interior is just as I've been suspecting: blank, flat, extremely simple sets (if they could even be called sets) upon which the ride's environments will be projected. It would be like they're testing the absolute minimum amount of practical show elements they could possibly get away with, and that just doesn't interest or excite me very much at this point.

Projection mapping can be dazzling, but I don't want to ever see that become a replacement for the practical and the physical. But that's just me! I know plenty of other people see that as positive technological progress, and that's fine. I just don't necessarily share the belief that technological progress has to come at the expense of classic dark ride techniques and elements, especially if the attraction is taking over for a quintessential example of the classic Disney dark ride.

ETA: Again, I point to Mystic Manor as an example of using the best of both worlds, proving such a thing can absolutely be done.

I think this goes way beyond using a screen, unlike a screen that has boundaries and is flat, I think this could be totally immersive.

I picture this being Kong on steroids and will raise the SCREENZ to a whole new level.

I think this goes way beyond using a screen, unlike a screen that has boundaries and is flat, I think this could be totally immersive.

I picture this being Kong on steroids and will raise the SCREENZ to a whole new level.

Perhaps. We're still not going to be looking at much (if anything) that's physically present in front of our eyes, though.

And I'm not saying I don't think the ride will be fun. I just hate losing another dark ride for it. Were this a true addition going into Animation Courtyard, I would have no problem with it (though I'd still wish for it to have sets and AAs).

Reactions: Ashhanbre
Perhaps. We're still not going to be looking at much (if anything) that's physically present in front of our eyes, though.

And I'm not saying I don't think the ride will be fun. I just hate losing another dark ride for it. Were this a true addition going into Animation Courtyard, I would have no problem with it (though I'd still wish for it to have sets and AAs).

Knowing Disney, I just can't imagine it will be all screens. I don't know how well that animation style would translate into practical effects.

Knowing Disney, I just can't imagine it will be all screens. I don't know how well that animation style would translate into practical effects.
Knowing Disney, this will have exactly 1 animatronic that will be well down and the rest of this will be projection. Disney in the last 3 years has gone way over board on projection mapping. Every castle has one or two projection shows a night, the tree of life is projection, Hollywood studios now has 2 projection mapped shows, the "floating" rock archway in pandora is projection map. The guardians of the galexy is projection mapped. They've experimented with projection mapping on the Epcot ball, and the newest projection mapping has taken over 80% of the updated Fantasmic show in Disneyland. I'm sure I'm missing several other projection mapped attractions and I'm not even mentioning all of the projection mapped animatronic faces they've been putting everywhere. This definitely does seem to be the industries new trick. Even Universal is starting to jump on board with the craze. It's fine to use the technique to augment an experience but like screenz, it's starting to become overused.

Disney is replacing a ride from nearly 30 years ago. It will use technology that's more often utilized in attractions today, including projection and "screenz." I'd give Disney a chance since this is their first time building new E-tickets here in over a decade.

I'm posting this again, in case anyone missed it. The scenes on this ride will not be populated by screens. There will be intricate and unique geometric shapes with projections on them. It should create an entirely new way of experiencing an attraction, and will give riders a feeling of actually being inside a cartoon. I think that's pretty neat.

This is a photo of Imagineers with some blank set-piece examples behind them. It does not scream "screen" to me. Instead it's a very physical world that will be fleshed out with projection mapping. Disney may very well find a way to make something tangible out of an intangible medium. I'm excited to see them try.
backgroundssss.jpg

I'm posting this again, in case anyone missed it. The scenes on this ride will not be populated by screens. There will be intricate and unique geometric shapes with projections on them. It should create an entirely new way of experiencing an attraction, and will give riders a feeling of actually being inside a cartoon. I think that's pretty neat.

This is a photo of Imagineers with some blank set-piece examples behind them. It does not scream "screen" to me. Instead it's a very physical world that will be fleshed out with projection mapping. Disney may very well find a way to make something tangible out of an intangible medium. I'm excited to see them try.
View attachment 4885

That photo is of imagineers in a CAVE room doing design work.

That photo is of imagineers in a CAVE room doing design work.
Yea, it's concept modeling, but it was shown during the D23 segment for Mickey ride, so I assume they're testing the possibilities of the new tech to see how far they can push it.

Reactions: rioriz
I think this ride is going to be flippin' awesome, unless they cheapen out on length or amount of surfaces to project on.

I didn't even know about the newer animation style, and I think it looks a bit bizarre, but in this case I believe in the technology.

So pretty much there not painting the set and just projecting the environment/theming onto it?
The panels of the sets move and change shape while the projection mapping is happening. So while not AAs. They are far more technically complex than just unpainted flats and motorized mechanical figures. It should be pretty cool.

I also anticipate some significant downtimes the first year.

This is one I want to be "lights on" evacuated from

See above. Probably a good chance early on.

The panels of the sets move and change shape while the projection mapping is happening. So while not AAs. They are far more technically complex than just unpainted flats and motorized mechanical figures. It should be pretty cool.

One thing that's important to note is since everything is the projection mapping over these moving sets Disney could update the look of the characters to the classic or another version of Mickey in a few years.

Given how overwhelming I think this sounds, it's probably going to date F&F instantly if they both open next year.

Reactions: awhen