Liquids Ban | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Liquids Ban

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The fact that this happened out of the blue means either there was a specific security threat that prompted it (terrorist threat), or an incident that caused them to institute the policy because something happened (underage drinking led to problems, etc.).

The fact that Universal is specifically saying this is NOT a permanent change leads me to believe this is just addressing a specific threat or problem which will pass.

I'm tempted to believe this is a security threat also, although as Teebin hinted at earlier, it would say a lot more if SeaWorld and/or Disney implemented a similar policy concurrently. If it were a specific threat directed at Uni, I'd expect a noticeable increase in security/OPD presence along with this policy. Sadly, Uni trying for more beverage sales is probably the most logical answer here.

The fact that this happened out of the blue means either there was a specific security threat that prompted it (terrorist threat), or an incident that caused them to institute the policy because something happened (underage drinking led to problems, etc.).

The fact that Universal is specifically saying this is NOT a permanent change leads me to believe this is just addressing a specific threat or problem which will pass.

Bingo.

Someone did something stupid...

Heard that too.

Oh I didn't hear anything, it's just obvious some dip**** dumbass did something that made them change the policy overnight. I would imagine the policy stays in effect but changes to allow guests with babies or medical needs in without question.

Universal's Tom Schroeder's email statement..."This is a review of our procedures and is not permanent. and yes, guests can bring in baby formula and other necessary items."

Several other sites and people on Twitter are reporting that security in CityWalk is not permitting any type of liquid, period.
This is true. Yesterday they made a group of five throw away their bottles. They have security facing the people entering and facing the direction they enter because people have been trying to sneak beverages in their back pockets.

Oh I didn't hear anything, it's just obvious some dip**** dumbass did something that made them change the policy overnight. I would imagine the policy stays in effect but changes to allow guests with babies or medical needs in without question.

Saw someone on Twitter claim Universal treats their guests like criminals. No joke. Huge Disney fan too so I just had to roll my eyes and assume he was stuck on a monorail.

Someone did something stupid...

Local guests treat Universal like a crappy regional park, Universal has no choice but to respond like a crappy regional park. Tho like the patdowns before coasters, this seems like overkill that won't last very long.

Undercover security would be far more effective--and far less of a hassle--to combat underage (or other unauthorized) drinking. It worked well for 19 years at Pleasure Island.

Saw someone on Twitter claim Universal treats their guests like criminals. No joke. Huge Disney fan too so I just had to roll my eyes and assume he was stuck on a monorail.
Well, they sort of do. Same way Disney CP housing treats all CPs like they're inmates at a prison.

Undercover security would be far more effective--and far less of a hassle--to combat underage (or other unauthorized) drinking. It worked well for 19 years at Pleasure Island.

No, it didn't, which is why they closed the clubs of Pleasure Island. I have heard horror stories of what went on down there which was a big reason why they closed things down.

When it comes down to it, the only answer is more security and a zero tolerance policy for rule breakers is the only way to stop problems with "locals" and anyone else who caused problems, but even then you can't stop everything before it becomes a problem.

Alcohol stories from Universal, PI, and WDW could fill a novel the size of War and Peace. Stories abound about how the Adv Club was haven for underage drinking.

Alcohol stories from Universal, PI, and WDW could fill a novel the size of War and Peace. Stories abound about how the Adv Club was haven for underage drinking.
I sure it was given they let any age in. All that person needed after that was either a fake ID or someone willing to buy them alcohol, which I assume happened a lot.

Scuttle over at WDW Magic said he sat through a meeting and the crackdown was over a young girl that brought vodka in two bottles and almost died.

Okay and? A stupid girl almost dies from drinking too much vodka, so now thousands of guests can't even bring in a water bottle. There has to be something else behind this.

Okay and? A stupid girl almost dies from drinking too much vodka, so now thousands of guests can't even bring in a water bottle. There has to be something else behind this.

Allowing underage drinking, even if not served to them by an employee, is grounds of having liquor license suspended. That's huge. Disney and Universal are not in the same jurisdiction and each has to answer to different governments. Universal has had to be more strict.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw someone arguing with security because he bought a bottle of water in the garage rotunda and then was not allowed to bring it in. :lol:

They might need to sort that little detail out.