Knott's Scary Farm 2024 | Inside Universal Forums

Knott's Scary Farm 2024

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Given the amount of throwbacks in this year's houses, I imagine next year they'll be fully original. The return of The Hanging was well received, so I could see it coming back again. I think it's unlikely we'll see Dr. Cleaver again.

Reactions: Freak
The big questions lingering in my mind that stand out as we enter the very early stages of this year;
-Are we only getting 2 mazes to replace Depths and Entities, or is it possible a 3rd may be added yet again? I vaguely remember some discussion of potential space being considered for somewhere in Fiesta post-refurb.
-In a similar vein, will we see Fiesta Village finally recieving a scarezone again? Nothing has suggested that this could happen, but it's more or less the one part of the park aside from the small patch of land between Mystery Lodge and Room 13 that doesn't have a zone tied to it. Feels pretty glaring to walk through when the rest of the park is fully decked out.
-What mazes have the highest chances of being retired? My personal bets are Bloodlines and Waxworks. Waxworks is still popular and warmly recieved by fans despite its age, but based on the past trend of late, with the 2017 mazes being retired in 2022, and the 2018 mazes being retired in 2023, its on the chopping block. By that same logic, Origins should be too, but I don't think its time has come, it has serious staying power and is still a massive fan favorite. Bloodlines, while ambitious and having an eager cast, has struggled a lot, with the removal of guns not being enough to save it from still having a gun-centric design philosophy and being mired with scheduling and cast retention issues. Would've loved to see it come into its own but I think 2024 is the end.

-What mazes have the highest chances of being retired? My personal bets are Bloodlines and Waxworks. Waxworks is still popular and warmly recieved by fans despite its age, but based on the past trend of late, with the 2017 mazes being retired in 2022, and the 2018 mazes being retired in 2023, its on the chopping block. By that same logic, Origins should be too, but I don't think its time has come, it has serious staying power and is still a massive fan favorite. Bloodlines, while ambitious and having an eager cast, has struggled a lot, with the removal of guns not being enough to save it from still having a gun-centric design philosophy and being mired with scheduling and cast retention issues. Would've loved to see it come into its own but I think 2024 is the end.
I'm rather new to KSF, so I'm curious if this has ever happened before. Based on what I've seen, over the last decade most houses last 4 years before being replaced. Has there been any other instance of a house that wasn't well received getting the axe earlier?

I'm rather new to KSF, so I'm curious if this has ever happened before. Based on what I've seen, over the last decade most houses last 4 years before being replaced. Has there been any other instance of a house that wasn't well received getting the axe earlier?
The big one that sticks out to me, and possibly the only one within my time, was Dead of Winter, which only lasted 2015-2016 before being replaced with Dark Ride. For other questionably recieved mazes, 3 years is pretty standard, like Lost Vegas or Red Barn. Bloodlines' reception from fans hasn't been nearly as chilly (pun intended) as Dead of Winter by any means, but if they had an idea for the space that they thought would demand a bigger crowd, it could get going pretty fast.
I think being both a middlingly recieved maze and being in the intensely looming shadow of Paranormal Inc's legacy in that location really adds up to being in a position where its time is extremely limited unless they opt for a total overhaul.

Reactions: mccgavin
I think 2 new mazes is all we're getting, but my HOPE and speculation is that Cinema Slasher and/or Chilling Chambers will add new segments to make up for it. If they both add 2 new (or, er old) segments each, that essentially makes up for 1 new maze in budget. If that happens, I'd definitely be interested in going next year, because that'd make the turnover rate of new segments in those mazes a must-see as some will only last a year. If it's just 1 new segment each, or even on one of em...meh, I'll return in 2025.

A few other examples of mazes having shorter tenures: Endgame (which even moved location and was still terrible) and Gunslingers Grave (which got overhauled the next year and again, still terrible). This is why I am shocked Dark Entities lasted this long. The only reason I could think of is pandemic really hit them hard and they had no choice but to keep it.

The big questions lingering in my mind that stand out as we enter the very early stages of this year;
-Are we only getting 2 mazes to replace Depths and Entities, or is it possible a 3rd may be added yet again? I vaguely remember some discussion of potential space being considered for somewhere in Fiesta post-refurb.
-In a similar vein, will we see Fiesta Village finally recieving a scarezone again? Nothing has suggested that this could happen, but it's more or less the one part of the park aside from the small patch of land between Mystery Lodge and Room 13 that doesn't have a zone tied to it. Feels pretty glaring to walk through when the rest of the park is fully decked out.
I think a scare zone is ultimately more likely than a maze in Fiesta Village, but I still am not sure we will see that yet.

Regarding retiring mazes, I do think Wax Works will probably see it's final season next year. I initially thought maybe Origins as well, but it might have an extra season left in it. Personally, I'd like to see Bloodline go instead. It was clunky with the guns, and it doesn't quite work without the guns in it's current form. It would be nice to see that whole backstage area have a fresh slate of mazes in 2025.

Just another small update, the 2024 Scary Farm pass was available as a regular Season Pass add-on a few months ago but I don't see it now. Hopefully it shows up again soon.

Reactions: Clive
Also, not necessarily a guest perspective thing, but something that was on my mind.
Heard from a lot of my monster friends that knotts completely overhauled the way scheduling works, ditching an A/B 1 hour on 1 hour off cast system in favor of giving them set 30-45 minute breaks at certain points of the night, but it sounds like they didn't schedule accounting for location within the actual mazes, meaning at some times a lot of people would be on break at the same time, and other times the maze would be packed, and it seems like that was a major influence in a lot of the discussion I've seen from guests about mazes seeming short staffed.
From what I heard some supervisors encouraged modifying schedules individually to keep the mazes populated, but that wasn't the case everywhere and really showed. Really hoping they opt for the old style next year, since as much as this couldve been a good idea in theory it didn't seem like it was executed well for the guests or for the monsters.

Reactions: Jake S
I don't know if that even makes a difference as every year I've ever gone (since 2000) I've always encountered entire mazes completely empty of monsters at some point in the night. I did not see a single difference between this year and any other year, in terms of staffing.

Yeah when I went to KSF for my last run on Sunday, I noticed there were some staffing issues when I was there. :/

As for spec, I personally think they will do two new mazes next year replacing ED and Depths obviously. I think they will probably change up Chilling Chambers to not make it so “anniversary house” oriented. Could see the throwback scenes getting replaced with more original content. They kinda did this after the 40th when they had Dominion of the Dead for the 40th and then changed to Dominion of the Damned the year after.

As for spec, I personally think they will do two new mazes next year replacing ED and Depths obviously. I think they will probably change up Chilling Chambers to not make it so “anniversary house” oriented. Could see the throwback scenes getting replaced with more original content. They kinda did this after the 40th when they had Dominion of the Dead for the 40th and then changed to Dominion of the Damned the year after.
That may be somewhat difficult, as the house is pretty much entirely throwbacks to the past. I think it's possible they'll remove decorations and dialog from The Keeper that explicitly mention the 50th.

It makes sense they'd remove the anniversary mentions from Chilling Chambers and leave it otherwise. Loved that maze personally.

I thought the 50th was a great year. Maybe they'll have some surprises in 2024. I agree Bloodline needs work. Biggest surprise will be if Xcelerator is still working at haunt time lol.

My biggest hope is all other haunts take note, because Nov days are literally the best times to go. If HHN doesn't do it, KSF has my money for a Nov day, and I'd be breaking my "once every other year" rule for it.

*BUMP* Gonna revive this while it's still the calm before the storm & the fog rolls in...
1000008719.jpg
Here is a breakdown of the obvious or possible..

RETIRED RECENTLY:
THE DEPTHS (2018-2023) - 5 Years
DARK ENTITIES (2018-2023) - 5 Years

RETURNING MAZES:
- MESMER (2021-Present) - Year 4
- GRIMOIRE (2022-Present) - Year 3
- BLOODLINE (2022-Present) - Year 3
- CHILLING CHAMBERS (2023-Present) - Year 2
(50th references removed) a roof was installed to protect from rain/sun & keep any scene changes a secret
- CINEMA SLASHER (2023-Present) - Year 2
- ROOM 13 (2023-Present) - Year 2

RETURNING SZs:
- GHOST TOWN (1973-Present) - Year 51
- CARNEVIL (2000-Present) - Year 23
(FINALLY got set details & props last year, let it turn 25)
- GORE-ING 20's (2021-Present) - Year 4
(Give the Bumper Cars a Gatsby style ride overlay - music, lights, mirror ball)
- THE GAUNTLET (2023-Present) - Year 2
(Give it an overhaul with the newly revamped land or kill it with fire & replace it)

RETURNING SHOWS:
- CARNAVAL DU GROTESQUE (2022-Present) - Year 3
- THE HANGING (1976-Present) - Year 49

POSSIBLY RETIRING:
ORIGINS (2019-Present) - Year 5
(Could stick around for 2025 being tied closely into Ghost Town lore)
WAXWORKS (2019-Present) - Year 5
(Good maze, but it's time to melt the wax down for a new mold)
FORSAKEN LAKE (2018-Present) - Year 6
(Do more with it or drown it for good)

SPECULATION 1.0:
- Two New Mazes
- New Fiesta Village SZ
(Better to do it this year than compete with Montezooma's 2025 return)
- Reworked Non-Anniversary Style show in Walter Knott Theatre
- Something in Birdcage Theatre
- Obnoxious Lantern tech to return in some way

I feel like my brain is forgetting something on this line-up of misfit toys & I'm too hungry to elaborate my thoughts on a few things. I figured this would be a good jumping off point for spec.

I do t see Origins leaving anytime soon, but I hope they fix it up. It’s a great house when everything is working.

I do think this will be the final year for Wax Works and Mesmer.

Reactions: Wesker69
Take this with a huge grain of Boysenberry salt, but I've heard whispers from The Depths of Calico in regards to new Dark Entities awaiting us...

- Spiders/Phobias
- Imaginary Creatures

Other rumblings say no SZ in Fiesta Village this year. Unclear if the old "Dia De Los Muertos" dance party will return instead of a SZ. It sounds like an unfortunate dead zone at this time.

Those are some interesting themes!
Playing with phobias is a neat concept, not sure how well that’ll translate to a full house.
As for “Imaginary Creatures,” my first thought was about: what if the imaginary creatures we had as children, weren’t so imaginary.
Can’t wait for KSF24!