Knott's Scary Farm 2023 | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

Knott's Scary Farm 2023

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is just personal opinion, but I don't think language like "always sucked" has any elegance or articulation that makes it worth more than the emotional harm it inflicts on the large communities that put these events together. Additionally, this is my opinion it's kind of a dickish thing to say. It's real easy to say something sucks and not engage actively try and engage with it in greater terms. Are these events capitalist products: yes. Are they also the culmination of year long efforts between creative teams who probably exist in the very small ponds us fans do? Yes

It’s really not that deep. You also could’ve just asked Chris to expand on his thoughts instead of calling him a dick…

It’s really not that deep. You also could’ve just asked Chris to expand on his thoughts instead of calling him a dick…
I'm not picking it Back up, but the depth of the conversation isn't to be decided by you or me. It just is what it is.

To Chris, I apologize for any insinuation that I think you are a dick. I do think the comment was dickish and I just don't like the general continuation of language like this in use of creative diminution, but I never meant to make any comment about your overall character. We all know you're a very well respected board member, I just really dont enjoy how many of the things said against the event this year seem to be stewing with an anger and moral grandstanding (NOT TO INSINUATE YOUR COMMENT WAS THAT, just to say that those sentiments have been strangely more popular than ever this year (and not in direct ratio to a decline in overall quality), and I think there's a greater sense of wanting to be angry and discordant just to be).

Reactions: Water Bottle
I’m not sure what exactly you’re looking for here. By and large those who have criticized the event have given some evidence of why they feel the way they do. I also think for many of us this is a feeling that has been building over the past few years (that’s certainly the case for me).

While acknowledging it’s easier to criticize than create, it’s perfectly fair to criticize a creative product. That’s the nature of creating something for public consumption.

I’m not sure what exactly you’re looking for here. By and large those who have criticized the event have given some evidence of why they feel the way they do. I also think for many of us this is a feeling that has been building over the past few years (that’s certainly the case for me).

While acknowledging it’s easier to criticize than create, it’s perfectly fair to criticize a creative product. That’s the nature of creating something for public consumption.
I agree with that whole heartedly, but that's not what was said. Chris just said that he thought knotts "always sucked lol," and I said I thought he was being kind of a dick for saying that, as it is a diminutive statement that doesn't offer anything else than just insulting an event many board members care deeply about, have followed for years, or have worked at. My gripes with complaints this year aren't directed at the forum in particular but rather the broader discussion, which unlike the fight fest discussion isn't about how management really screwed everyone over, but how the creative people behind and in the mazes are to blame in oddly personal and weirdly viscious ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Water Bottle
I agree with that whole heartedly, but that's not what was said. Chris just said that he thought knotts "always sucked lol," and I said I thought he was being kind of a dick for saying that, as it is a diminutive statement that doesn't offer anything else than just insulting an event many board members care deeply about, have followed for years, or have worked at. My gripes with complaints this year aren't directed at the forum in particular but rather the broader discussion, which unlike the fight fest discussion isn't about how management really screwed everyone over, but how the creative people behind and in the mazes are to blame in oddly personal and weirdly viscious ways.
If your complaints, other than Chris' comment, are about things said outside this forum, that was not very clear from your previous post. And ultimately, Chris offered his opinion. These aren't dissertations, he doesn't need to aim to make a significant contribution to the literature of the event.

And the last thing I'll say on this is that while I understand some people are protective of the event and feel emotionally invested in it, that's not a suitable shield to criticism. Sometimes people will hate the thing you love and sometimes you won't feel the criticism is warranted. In the case of Knott's Scary Farm, I think a sizable portion of the event's failings (in my mind) has to do with design rather than resources. If Six Flags produced mazes of its current quality with a budget more like Knott's, I think you'd hear similar complaints.

Every year I see the "Universal VS Knott's" comparison and while I understand why it happens, I have never thought it was an entirely fair fight. At the end of the day, it will always come down to a personal preference depending on what kind of event you prefer. I think they each offer something that the other doesn't, and I'm thankful to get to experience both every year.

I do think Knott's has it's issues. Staffing and operations have been a problem for as long as I can remember, going back to the 90's. Their mazes have been stepped up dramatically in terms of scenic, but they do rely on the talent to push the scares which means your mileage may vary. I can't knock them too badly for repeating mazes as they don't have the Universal budget and they aren't pushing some marketing agenda from a studio, so they work with what they have. Sometimes mazes stay a little longer than I'd like, but the event has so much to offer there is plenty to do otherwise.

The other thing I will touch on here is the crowd situation the last couple of years. I do think the chaperone policy is why we are seeing lower crowds overall. This last weekend after 10 PM or so even the new mazes were a walk on. The policy has a lot to do with that, along with the fact that most of the general public equates October with Halloween. I expect it to get busier but still manageable due to that policy.

Overall I think the new mazes and shows are a good addition to the event and I'll be curious to see how things are changed up as the season progresses. Eventually I'll post a review but for now I'm just enjoying the event while we are in it.

If your complaints, other than Chris' comment, are about things said outside this forum, that was not very clear from your previous post. And ultimately, Chris offered his opinion. These aren't dissertations, he doesn't need to aim to make a significant contribution to the literature of the event.

And the last thing I'll say on this is that while I understand some people are protective of the event and feel emotionally invested in it, that's not a suitable shield to criticism. Sometimes people will hate the thing you love and sometimes you won't feel the criticism is warranted. In the case of Knott's Scary Farm, I think a sizable portion of the event's failings (in my mind) has to do with design rather than resources. If Six Flags produced mazes of its current quality with a budget more like Knott's, I think you'd hear similar complaints.
A criticism is saying an event is poorly staffed, has poorly constructed mazes, etc. An insult is saying it sucks. I'm nit looking for a shield from criticism, I believe there should be basic respect not to blatantly insult others that are very much like us (horror and immersive theatre nerds) which are the designers and staff members.

I don’t think anyone here is trying to be insulting. People have opinions and we’re all entitled to them. The event isn’t some people’s cup of tea and it’s the perfect event for others.

Criticism (whether it’s blunt or a diatribe) is always welcome here as well as praise and everything in between.

So let’s all take a deep breath and get this thing back on track. If someone doesn’t like an event that you do, they aren’t insulting you.

I love baseball and there are loads of my friends who think it’s boring. It’s not that personal.

No offense taken on my end. Didn’t think my comment was gonna be taken this personally either so apologies to anyone I’ve offended. I’ve just always felt the event has a “party” culture over actual horror culture and like many have echoed, a weird/ loose scare philosophy. Every year I’ve gone I’ve left disappointed or with the mentality that the event’s atmosphere just doesn’t compare to HHN, which I love but even I can admit has terrible years.

No offense taken on my end. Didn’t think my comment was gonna be taken this personally either so apologies to anyone I’ve offended. I’ve just always felt the event has a “party” culture over actual horror culture and like many have echoed, a weird/ loose scare philosophy. Every year I’ve gone I’ve left disappointed or with the mentality that the event’s atmosphere just doesn’t compare to HHN, which I love but even I can admit has terrible years.
Alright, see, I totally agree with this! I think the party culture has really overtaken the backend of the park, which I have mixed feelings about, as it does allow for roadies crowds to be held in one area while ghostown streets and Camp Snoopy areas can be more atmospheric and immserive. I don't particularly agree that hhn has a better overall atmosphere, as I think that entrance into ghosttown's fog and dark lighting is just so much more immersive and tone setting, but they do tend to lack actors in the front of the zones, so you could go like 20 mins seeing one person.

The unfortunate thing on the end of those who like more immersive zones is that they aren't as interesting to general audience. We saw it with dia de los Muertos becoming awaken the Dead and Carnevil really expanding by taking over the hanging theatre. I don't think people really care for the highly themed zones the same way, which is dissapointing since things like the pulse from forsaken lake and the hollows storytelling were actually pretty crazy experimental for a themepark

Don't wanna dig up any kinda political discourse, but I just think it's insanely ironic how we literally have a show designed to offend, whos entire thesis statement is that people who get offended by its content are stupid, and not even a week later we have the right wing groups offended and up in arms about a completely DIFFERENT show instead for having adult content and explicitly warning the audience that it contains adult content.
Honestly if knotts responds to it at all, (which frankly they probably shouldnt bother since these people wont accept anything short of fully caving to their outrage), it should only be in the form of writing something about it into the hanging last minute for future shows.

Don't wanna dig up any kinda political discourse, but I just think it's insanely ironic how we literally have a show designed to offend, whos entire thesis statement is that people who get offended by its content are stupid, and not even a week later we have the right wing groups offended and up in arms about a completely DIFFERENT show instead for having adult content and explicitly warning the audience that it contains adult content.
Honestly if knotts responds to it at all, (which frankly they probably shouldnt bother since these people wont accept anything short of fully caving to their outrage), it should only be in the form of writing something about it into the hanging last minute for future shows.
I’d say (and maybe the other mods would agree) that it’s fair to at least address it here, so you’re good.

I think it’s hilarious that the backlash is people afraid that this is “coming after children” at an event that’s for ADULTS and one person said that it’s not the Knott’s of their childhood…. I mean they’ve been doing Scary Farm since ‘73 and they’ve had Elvira do stuff just as racy thirty years ago.

Idk… if I was worried about my kids seeing scantily clad women and whatever else is in the show, I think I’d be worried about them seeing murder and hanging bodies and whatnot that happens in the mazes, so it’s a stupid point for that group to make lol

So far I haven’t seen anybody say The Hanging is actually offensive in bad taste so I guess that’s a good sign for that. I haven’t seen a clip or seen it live yet.

I’d say (and maybe the other mods would agree) that it’s fair to at least address it here, so you’re good.

I think it’s hilarious that the backlash is people afraid that this is “coming after children” at an event that’s for ADULTS and one person said that it’s not the Knott’s of their childhood…. I mean they’ve been doing Scary Farm since ‘73 and they’ve had Elvira do stuff just as racy thirty years ago.

Idk… if I was worried about my kids seeing scantily clad women and whatever else is in the show, I think I’d be worried about them seeing murder and hanging bodies and whatnot that happens in the mazes, so it’s a stupid point for that group to make lol

So far I haven’t seen anybody say The Hanging is actually offensive in bad taste so I guess that’s a good sign for that. I haven’t seen a clip or seen it live yet.
It really makes me wonder where they've been all this time, the one time I did Bill and Ted in hollywood 10 years ago there were scantily clad men and women all over the place, its pretty much expected with a raunchy halloween show these days and for the past couple decades. Judging by how theyre hounding Knotts' twitter posts about their daytime offerings, it seems like they somehow assume Knotts Spooky Farm and Knotts Scary Farm are the same thing, as if one of them isnt a separate ticket that anyone under 18 is pretty heavily dissuaded from going to right now as is.

As for the Hanging, i'd say its pretty low key, the most controversial thing they really say is just "we shouldnt worry about whos gonna be offended by jokes", they dont really make many offensive jokes that would actually offend anyone outside of like crude humor.

It really makes me wonder where they've been all this time, the one time I did Bill and Ted in hollywood 10 years ago there were scantily clad men and women all over the place, its pretty much expected with a raunchy halloween show these days and for the past couple decades. Judging by how theyre hounding Knotts' twitter posts about their daytime offerings, it seems like they somehow assume Knotts Spooky Farm and Knotts Scary Farm are the same thing, as if one of them isnt a separate ticket that anyone under 18 is pretty heavily dissuaded from going to right now as is.

As for the Hanging, i'd say its pretty low key, the most controversial thing they really say is just "we shouldnt worry about whos gonna be offended by jokes", they dont really make many offensive jokes that would actually offend anyone outside of like crude humor.
It's cuz it's gay. We know it's cuz it's gay, but it just had to be said. Right wingers hate any normalization of gay culture in any way. The show is very tame and in line with the queer Dancers in previous hangings and elvira shows. Don't think this will do anything in the long term, I think the director is queer so I'm guessing there is personal interest to keep that stuff in against political disdain

OK let's move away from the political talk and get to reviews!

Every year already feels like the biggest event thus far, but Knott's went all out for the 50th Anniversary - honoring the first five decades of the event in a way that wasn't alienating to the new guests.

Any thoughts on what it might look like tomorrow night? We were intending to go on Sunday this weekend, but plans had to change due to an emergent situation and now we're stuck going... on a Saturday. (Boo! Hiss! Vomit.) HHN's crowds have given me such PTSD this year that I'm debating if it'll be worth the Saturday trip or risking rescheduling for another time...

Any thoughts on what it might look like tomorrow night? We were intending to go on Sunday this weekend, but plans had to change due to an emergent situation and now we're stuck going... on a Saturday. (Boo! Hiss! Vomit.) HHN's crowds have given me such PTSD this year that I'm debating if it'll be worth the Saturday trip or risking rescheduling for another time...
We went last Saturday and honestly it wasn't all that bad, especially compared to HHN. Most of the mazes had an average of a 30 minute wait for the majority of the night, even some of the new ones. The only two that were a bit long were Grimoire and Room 13, so you should be good as long as you hit those early on. All of the coasters had a ridiculous wait, but otherwise, the event felt very relaxed and not overcrowded at all.

Reactions: Freak
How have the lines been for the Log Ride and the Mine Ride? Those are pretty essential to me! My wife also loves Hang Time, so would love to squeeze that one in, probably in the first 30 minutes or so, then jump in line for Ghost Rider right before closing for myself haha