Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I saw it a second time and liked it more once I knew what I was getting. I really enjoy the third act - it’s bonkers but in a good way.

I do think there is about 15 minutes you can shave off the total runtime though. It is a bit long.

I saw it a second time and liked it more once I knew what I was getting. I really enjoy the third act - it’s bonkers but in a good way.

I do think there is about 15 minutes you can shave off the total runtime though. It is a bit long.
I definitely like the back half of the movie way more than the front half. I’d say there’s probably entire scenes that could go and it wouldn’t hurt the movie. The opening flashback sequence in 1939 feels like it goes on too long as well imo.

I feel like there was a really good Indy movie in here if we had tightened it all up.

Will this flop like Flash? I've heard some pretty bad predictions
It won’t make money and that’s pretty much a guarantee based on budget. It can pretty much only lose money. It’s about how much will it lose.

Last edited:
I think it's a good adventure movie, but not necessarily a good Indiana Jones movie, if that makes sense.

I will say - it wasn't as light-hearted as some of the other Indy films. It had moments, sure - but it was sitting right on the edge of taking itself "too seriously".

These echo my strongest sentiments after seeing the film today. It is a fine film but just as I feared, it really does feel like a big course correction from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull but because of that it just doesn't really feel like an Indy movie. Harrison Ford is, without a doubt, putting on one of the best performances of the series and it really does shine through how much he loves this character. It's supremely unfortunate the rest of the film does not rise to the occasion with him.

I would heartily argue that all four of the first Indy films feel like a cohesive set, parts of the same saga about the same character's adventure. Dial of Destiny, for better or worse, just feels like a modern action/adventure film with the character slid in. The biggest culprit to that has to be the action scenes. They are technically well done and exciting but they just do not gel with the franchise. Spielberg's style and the foundations of the series are on well thought out, well executed, easy to follow action sequences. Dial ratchets up the intensity and hurls Indy into the modern day film-making style of fast paced, quick cuts one after the other. Mangold doesn't do a bad job, it's just not Spielberg and not Indy.

I also figured going in that it would look like most of modern action fare and it does. The color pallet is bathed in either dark blue or bright orange, as most of cinema is now. Again, it's not bad on its own merit but it is visually the least vibrant and compelling Indy film. Even Temple of Doom, both the most thematic and visually dark entry is more vibrant than Dial with its splashes of bright reds and onyx.

I don't dislike the idea of using the Indy character to tell a tale of becoming past your prime or out of place with the ever changing world and the way those themes are explored in Dial are executed pretty well, I just have to ask if they needed to be explored with this character. It's very weird to me that both the fourth and fifth entries of this franchise act as closures for the characters. Even weirder that the much maligned Kingdom of the Crystal Skull that came out 15 years ago does it better, IMO. For all the talk of Crystal Skull or Temple of Doom being the black sheep of the franchise, I find it hard not to say that distinction falls to Dial. Not a bad film by any means, it's just not Indiana Jones at its core.

Also, I'm sure I'll be in the big minority here but:

Killing Mutt off screen really doesn't sit well with me. It's whatever with regards to whether Shia would actually be wanted back or want to be back himself (he puts way too much blame on himself for Crystal Skull when he's actually really damn good in it) but using him so brutally in Dial feels very mean spirited. Like it was some sort of 'hey, guys, we hear you, we hated that guy trying to steal Indy's spotlight too!' That's probably my cynicism more than anything substantial but just need to get it off my chest.

Reactions: belloq87
I liked Crystal Skull better.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion except that one.

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

I saw it on Thursday night and we had a good time.

With the star of an adventure movie literally 80 years old, I feel like you have to grade on a curve. the action won't be as good because the extra precautions and more volumes of CGI used. The sequences I love the most in earlier films are when the camera just sits and lets the characters shine through witty dialogue and very talented stunts.

I liked the prologue, and with the advances in tech (but not his voice oddly enough), I can almost squint and see other stories of what Indy was doing during WW2 using his AI-likeness. It was a great long way to start what was a more meditative story on Indy looking at an epilogue of his career, while still doing one last ride. 7/10

I really like the idea of the villain in this movie. Indy and him are both people who are basically found obsolete in their industries, and only look past regrets as they question their places in society. Unfortunately, one is an evil once and future Nazi.

Indy was someone always looking to the past, but man he really did need a hug.

I wish they gave a bit more personality to the villains a bit as I think there was potential for more back and forth between Mads and Indy. Boyd Holbrook had the look of a character, but his character was just be angry.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion except that one.
Truth Lying GIF by Tangina Stone

Crystal Skull is more of an Indy movie than Dial, never forces you to think about a near depressive past his prime character and arguably gives the character a better send off with a happy ending and a clear future that will continue his adventures. The opening set piece, college chase and jungle diversion are all better than anything in Dial, IMO. Dial is weird because it feels like it's going for those longer Indy set pieces that have that kinetic movement that goes from action to action but they just feel dragged out and too long. The prologue in Dial feels like it's 45 minutes long whereas with Spielberg I bet it'd feel like it's 12.

Truth Lying GIF by Tangina Stone

Crystal Skull is more of an Indy movie than Dial, never forces you to think about a near depressive past his prime character and arguably gives the character a better send off with a happy ending and a clear future that will continue his adventures. The opening set piece, college chase and jungle diversion are all better than anything in Dial, IMO. Dial is weird because it feels like it's going for those longer Indy set pieces that have that kinetic movement that goes from action to action but they just feel dragged out and too long. The prologue in Dial feels like it's 45 minutes long whereas with Spielberg I bet it'd feel like it's 12.

Hey - I'm on record on this thread saying Crystal Skull gets more flack than it deserves (although the jungle diversion you mentioned def has issues). If we're saying you prefer it as an Indy movie than this one, I chalk that up to different strokes - but I have a hard time grasping that Crystal Skull is a better movie overall because it "doesn't feel like an Indy movie" (which even with my criticisms, I don't think is true, either).

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
The only real thing Dial has over Crystal Skull is a better Ford performance. The action sequences are worse, the adventure plots are more confusing, the music in both are just eh but in Dial it's kinda shockingly disappointing, the cinematography is worse. Dial's last act is more fun the Crystal Skull's because it absolutely goes there.

I'll be watching Dial again but yeah, on first watch, it's not as good as Crystal Skull. Of course, you can rank and rate them however you want, Dial's just a super forgettable Indy flick outside of that last act for me.

I’m going to fully admit when the movie ended I said to my friend “sooo… better than Crystal Skull or?”

And we both pondered the question for about a half hour, while eating at Earl of Sandwich. I’m inclined to like Crystal Skull a tiny bit more because even though there’s some bonkers stuff, the movie is still enjoyable. This movie felt like a slog AND like it took the fun out of the movie. It was still fine but, just soooo mediocre.

I’m just saying when it comes to Indy movies where
Indy and Marion reunite in an over the top CGI filled adventure featuring a long lost father figure relationship that ends with a scene that's so absurdly unrealistic you can't even believe what you're seeing

I think I’d go with Crystal Skull.

I’m going to fully admit when the movie ended I said to my friend “sooo… better than Crystal Skull or?”

And we both pondered the question for about a half hour, while eating at Earl of Sandwich. I’m inclined to like Crystal Skull a tiny bit more because even though there’s some bonkers stuff, the movie is still enjoyable. This movie felt like a slog AND like it took the fun out of the movie. It was still fine but, just soooo mediocre.
I fell asleep by the time Antonio Banderas showed up, I was so bored by the whole thing.

Saw it a second time. Had a free reward for a dbox seat so tried that. Felt more like a theme park attraction than anything, but still enjoyed the movie the second time around. I enjoyed one last adventure with Indy.

These comparisons to Crystal Skull
Some people were saying that Shia Labeouf played a better character than Phoebe Waller-Bridge? Or not better, but more likable? Seems like a lot of people didn't like her character's attitude too much from what I saw.

I personally always liked Shia Labeouf since Constantine ( one of my favorite movies. ) I did actually liked him on Crystal Skull. Acting wise. I know the monkey scene was terrible. But I felt like shia had great chemistry with Harrison and he was pretty good in the first half before the monkeys swinging scene.

These comparisons to Crystal Skull
Some people were saying that Shia Labeouf played a better character than Phoebe Waller-Bridge? Or not better, but more likable? Seems like a lot of people didn't like her character's attitude too much from what I saw.

I personally always liked Shia Labeouf since Constantine ( one of my favorite movies. ) I did actually liked him on Crystal Skull. Acting wise. I know the monkey scene was terrible. But I felt like shia had great chemistry with Harrison and he was pretty good in the first half before the monkeys swinging scene.
Have not seen the film but....you can't replace Indy

It's just not possible they made the perfect action star and really.....really wish this film was about him and not someone who coulddddddd be in a show one day
To me it's what also hurting Marvel, let your hero's be hero's and if one day you get to be the new star great but while the Falcon had to wait 6+ movies 8ish years for that all these other films are like here is a new character we showhorned in...hope you love them because we want to make a new film about them and in doing so you hurt the film your currently making in hope to make more money instead of making a great film and it happens people liked the new person you had in the film....maybe they could get a spin off now