Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I really hope it's gonna be good and I hope Illumination doesn't screw that up.

Last year was actually interesting as we did see the first crossover of Mario to another company pay off with flying aces, at Ubisoft with Kingdom Battle on the Switch.

I would suspect they would have Miyamoto and Melendandri on close tabs with this project, to ensure that it doesn't have a bad sign of quality.

And in a sense, I guess we have to give thanks to UC for this one, as they seemed to convince Nintendo well enough on Super Nintendo World to the point of where 3 versions were planned in that instance.

Last year was actually interesting as we did see the first crossover of Mario to another company pay off with flying aces, at Ubisoft with Kingdom Battle on the Switch.

I would suspect they would have Miyamoto and Melendandri on close tabs with this project, to ensure that it doesn't have a bad sign of quality.

And in a sense, I guess we have to give thanks to UC for this one, as they seemed to convince Nintendo well enough on Super Nintendo World to the point of where 3 versions were planned in that instance.

I hope so. At least Illumination should look up the playbook of Wreck it Ralph and show at least how video game movies are supposed to be. Then use that idea for the Mario Bros. movie. Come to think of it. I really wonder what Mario and Luigi dialogue would look like, they don't speak at all in their games at all so the idea of their way of speaking kinda makes it awkward a bit.

Reactions: Mike S
I hope so. At least Illumination should look up the playbook of Wreck it Ralph and show at least how video game movies are supposed to be. Then use that idea for the Mario Bros. movie. Come to think of it. I really wonder what Mario and Luigi dialogue would look like, they don't speak at all in their games at all so the idea of their way of speaking kinda makes it awkward a bit.

Honestly, I think it'd be a bad idea to copy WiR as a movie, and that Mario should be handled in a way that is conventional and timeless, not having to use references from other franchises, more on the Mushroom universe that we know..

Even if the story is average, the most I want is for the film to make a decent to good first impression, as that will get rid of the stink of Video Game Films on that level of context.

Mario seems not the best property to adapt (I'd put my money on Zelda being the better option followed by Metroid) but I'm section to see what comes of it.

Ok, lets talk about the park land now.

Reactions: jtsalien
This is also why Illumination/Universal allowed the Seuss rights to expire.

Absolutely the right decision to prioritize homegrown IPs and this potential Nintendo Universe of movies over Seuss.

This is also why Illumination/Universal allowed the Seuss rights to expire.

Absolutely the right decision to prioritize homegrown IPs and this potential Nintendo Universe of movies over Seuss.

Also smart to pass the rights over to a friendly studio that allows you to exploit their IPs over a studio that may not allow that.

Reactions: Mike S and zg44
This also might lead to SNW in Beijing down the road if these Nintendo movies are a big hit in China so the possible secondary effects could be huge for both companies. This is likely to be one of Nintendo's first big tries at building a sizeable official China audience (as opposed to knockoffs or ripoffs).

This is a huge opportunity for Universal and Nintendo, and they need to create absolute blockbusters with these movies. Very high stakes for Universal as well with Nintendo set up as a potential franchise on the scope of DM/Minions.

The pressure is high, not only does Universal have a say in the Detective Pikachu film final cut but the Nintendo Universe films.

If they manage to make sure both a hits, I'm pretty sure the doors open for a slew of other projects and properties.

Last edited:
The pressure is high, not only is Universal have a say in the Detective Pikachu film final cut but the Nintendo Universe films.

If they manage to make sure both a hits, I'm pretty sure the doors open for a slew of other projects and properties.

That's something that should be kept in mind seriously.

Universal has been given a chance to collaborate with Nintendo on not just Mario, but Pokemon, probably in the span of both films coming out in 2019 and 2020. There is a lot riding on it, as Universal can't risk to botch either up for their own reasons.

An interesting tidbit to add, it seems like Nintendo will also help finance the animated Mario film, which shows how committed they are to having the film made.

Reactions: jtsalien
Mario seems not the best property to adapt (I'd put my money on Zelda being the better option followed by Metroid) but I'm section to see what comes of it.

Those should definitely not be done by Illumination.

It's gonna take a year for Illumination and Miyamoto to finalize the script before the shooting starts. It better be good or otherwise, it's bound to fail, and it would add a stigma that adapting a source based on a video game is bad. Usually, it takes years and years for the script to be really good, like the upcoming Wreck it Ralph II is. If it's a success, it would strength Universal and Nintendo's relationship together and more SNW built-in Universal parks worldwide, rather than just the 3 confirmed locations. Maybe it would lead down the road where Universal would buy Nintendo.

Honestly, I think it'd be a bad idea to copy WiR as a movie, and that Mario should be handled in a way that is conventional and timeless, not having to use references from other franchises, more on the Mushroom universe that we know..

Even if the story is average, the most I want is for the film to make a decent to good first impression, as that will get rid of the stink of Video Game Films on that level of context.

True, I mean, Illumination should check out how video game movies are actually done. Come to think of it, Universal hasn't done a proper video game movie before, especially the last time it made a well-known video game movie since 1989. Also, Miyamoto is a game developer, not a movie producer or director. We are talking about the guy who puts the plot in second place in his games, dealing with a media in which plot is everything. Look at Sticker Star and his thoughts on Galaxy 1 where his issue was that it had lore. However, his knowledge about it as such would at least boost the movie's confidence and where it's going to head. Let's just pray it would be just as good as WIR.

I'm pretty sure Universal would adapt Mario based on the movie rather than a video game property. That way, Universal won't have to pay any additional fees, since they will own the movie, unlike the 3rd party properties.

Maybe from a story perspective, Mario is hard as there's really not much to him besides being the world's best plumber and then the cliche of saving the damsel in distress, Princess Peach.

However, Mario is a huge brand. The name alone should be enough that this move does $1B+ in all likelihood.

Maybe from a story perspective, Mario is hard as there's really not much to him besides being the world's best plumber and then the cliche of saving the damsel in distress, Princess Peach.

However, Mario is a huge brand. The name alone should be enough that this move does $1B+ in all likelihood.
Mario is a terrible plumber. When have you ever seen him do its job? All he does is eat shrooms, kill small animals, and chase tail.

Mario is a terrible plumber. When have you ever seen him do its job? All he does is eat shrooms, kill small animals, and chase tail.
Maybe "world's best plumber" was the wrong description. I was meaning something more along the lines of "World's most popular plumber".

The story truly depends on if the film is a Super Mario film to leading up to a super smash bros film or if its a solely standalone Mario Universe film.

The story most likely will be who is Mario...He was Jumpman, Mr Video, Mario the Carpenter, Mario the Plumber, Mario with no last name, then Mario Mario. How can we forget Dr Mario and Paper Mario. How did this italian guy from New York end up in the Mushroom Kingdom etc?