How to Train Your Dragon (live action) 2025 | Inside Universal Forums

How to Train Your Dragon (live action) 2025

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is the worst news I've heard all day. Live action adaptations of animated films just suck all the joy, uniqueness, and style out of them to be replaced with bland CGI visuals and scripts that add nothing to the original material.

This is the worst news I've heard all day. Live action adaptations of animated films just suck all the joy, uniqueness, and style out of them to be replaced with bland CGI visuals and scripts that add nothing to the original material.

I think Universal leadership understands that if they treat this as a money grab they will really hurt themselves (sales/streaming of the old animated series, EU's HTTYD land, and the live action film) so its good they got the director and script writer for the first movie involved.

Also another thing I want to mention, the books series which Universal still has the rights to and the Dreamworks movie are very different. So they can easily pull things from the books

Reactions: Ahmanet
I think Universal leadership understands that if they treat this as a money grab they will really hurt themselves (sales/streaming of the old animated series, EU's HTTYD land, and the live action film) so its good they got the director and script writer for the first movie involved.

Treating movies like money grabs hasn't hurt Universal before. Just look at the box office performance of last year's Minions and Jurassic World films (or the fact that we're getting an eleventh Fast and Furious this year).

Treating movies like money grabs hasn't hurt Universal before. Just look at the box office performance of last year's Minions and Jurassic World films (or the fact that we're getting an eleventh Fast and Furious this year).

The only thing that was a money grab in this list is Jurassic World: Dominion. Rise of Gru was rated better than the previous two minion films and Universal took their time on. As for FF, Universal is already wrapping it up with this film being the first part of the last. It also looks like they took notes from the previous film and decided to tone down the action notes to make things more realistic.

Reactions: Ahmanet
They're all cash grabs, quality notwithstanding. :lol: But this is a solid route to take one of their most successful and consistently high-rated franchises.

Also another thing I want to mention, the books series which Universal still has the rights to and the Dreamworks movie are very different. So they can easily pull things from the books
With that in mind, if this movie does well, do you think it's possible Universal will branch out with a follow up streaming series on Peacock to further explore the lore of the books they can pull from?

The only thing that was a money grab in this list is Jurassic World: Dominion. Rise of Gru was rated better than the previous two minion films and Universal took their time on. As for FF, Universal is already wrapping it up with this film being the first part of the last. It also looks like they took notes from the previous film and decided to tone down the action notes to make things more realistic.
I believe I read that after the main FF series is over, they are spin offs planned. At least at one point.

Somehow this bothers me less than when Disney does it

I think the difference at this point is when Disney does a live-action reboot, you know it’s going to be a lazy rehash that sucks all the charm of the original. So far, we have not seen Universal try this on their own properties, so they’ll at least get the benefit of the doubt.

As for live-action remakes of third-party IPs, (Flintstones, Cat in the Hat, Warcraft), well that’s a mixed bag at best.

Reactions: shiekra38