HHN 2022: Halloween | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 2022: Halloween

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Michael Myers is back! Universal Parks has announced that Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando and Hollywood will feature a haunted house based on the 1978 slasher film - Halloween.

Reactions: maroonmol
So I'm gonna say this: This is the first time I'll actually be experiencing Halloween for the event. Even with it as a repeat, I'm honestly excited to see where they go.

I am usually excited for Halloween to return, but the last 2 years have really soured my excitement due to them not moving forward in the franchise. I accepted Halloween 4 last year because of pandemic, but I feel like there's no excuse to move all the way back to the original AGAIN. What about Halloween 5, which the rights are owned by the same people who did 4? What about 6? H20? Resurrection? Rob Zombie's 1 or 2? (I know the Weinsteins were tied up in those, but hasn't their library been sold off by now?) What about an original sequel because at this point, why the heck not? Or even re-using Halloween II again, because oddly enough, it's the only maze they haven't repeated for Michael Myers yet.

They did technically do a Halloween Kills attraction last year for influencers, so what's the legal red tape for when it comes to making it a maze?

There's so many options in the world and somehow we've reverted back to 2009 and 2015 all over again.

Meh

I like Halloween but feels cheap with Monters already a repeat theme as well....I want new things and we have new Horror things out there

if Black Phone and Nope are ignored for more "classic"s then makes it easy for me to know which park i'll be spending the extra for Halloween event this year (Knotts)

but feels cheap with Monsters already a repeat theme as well
Hold up now. MONSTERS isn't a repeat theme, but the studio's legacy. HHN has given the Monsters a fresh upgraded take for modern day, something the studio itself has failed to accomplish. Not to mention the fact that each maze we've gotten has been NEW & NOT a repeat. Although I'm pretty sure nobody would complain if House of Horrors was brought back every year as a signature maze for the event.

As for Halloween, i agree 100% with @DTH that we should've gotten H3, H5-Resurrection, or the sequel trilogy. This is just lazy. From a budget saving method, I can understand but at least bring back something that isn't an IP (like LA Llorona), but don't do a straight up clone like Pandora's Box either.

I thought it was going to be based on the new Halloween movies at first, but instead, the original which has been repeated a few times. Lame. It's just going to give me more reason to go to Knott's Scary Farm, which I admit never been there before.

Honestly this really is the only truly disappointing choice the event is making (that we know of) so far, everything else so far seems like an improvement. If this saves them some money that allows them to go more all out in and outside other houses, it’s not the worst compromise. I wouldn’t doom and gloom the whole event over them trying to market Ends.

Reactions: marip123
At least Murdy is trying to give this Halloween maze the H4 2021 refresh with new stuff.

However, I'd much rather seen something else non-IP related brought back, even if it's a maze from the earlier Pre-Murdy years! Or hell, give us the shelved Chupucabra maze, which would make sense if Orlando is getting one (that'd stun people to see another shared original). Bring back El Cucuey for a double-dose of child killing :look:

I'm disappointed they're reusing the 2015 version of the maze. The 2009 version was far superior.
Also interesting to note there won't be any H3 references. They must've really pissed off whoever held those rights last year.

Yup.. they even got rid of all the H3 references from last year's H4, replacing the Silver Shamrock commercial with Screecher footage and getting rid of the trick or treater scareactors..

Actually, wouldn't it be hilarious if it wasn't the rightsholders saying no H3 references.. but Murdy just refusing to acknowledge H3 out of sheer pettiness over what happened last year?

I'm disappointed they're reusing the 2015 version of the maze. The 2009 version was far superior.
Also interesting to note there won't be any H3 references. They must've really pissed off whoever held those rights last year.
Yup.. they even got rid of all the H3 references from last year's H4, replacing the Silver Shamrock commercial with Screecher footage and getting rid of the trick or treater scareactors..

Actually, wouldn't it be hilarious if it wasn't the rightsholders saying no H3 references.. but Murdy just refusing to acknowledge H3 out of sheer pettiness over what happened last year?

That was my takeaway from the Q&A too. I would love a little more info on what happened there and why things transpired the way they did. Still bummed!

Considering the Silver Shamrock trick or treater masks made an appearance in the sequel trilogy, I'd have to guess that might've affected the H3 usage especially since the sequel trilogy is also a bunch of legal red tape & hurdles preventing it from getting HHN treatment, despite being Blumhouse