HBO's The Last of Us | Inside Universal Forums

HBO's The Last of Us

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
It has been officially announced: HBO will be working with Neil Druckmann & Craig Mazin on an adaptation of the 2013 video game, The Last of Us, created by Naughty Dog!!!

Don't mind me--I'll be screaming in the corner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott W.
YES.

Also, TV is far more suiting for something like this than a movie so i'm incredibly pleased they went in this direction. And for it to end up on HBO is all the better. I'm expecting this to be a prequel series possibly or at least a good use of flashbacks.

Last edited:
Stopped the screaming for a minute, wanted to say this:

TV is the PERFECT format for a story like The Last of Us. Especially if the duo want's to go all in--and show new things that we weren't able to see from Joel and Ellie's story (as they do explicitly mention the two.) If not a direct adaptation--a story on the origins of the Fireflies, and how they rose up before the events of TLoU Part One's time skip after the prologue would be a perfect story that would allow Ellie to be present in some capacity.

Stopped the screaming for a minute, wanted to say this:

TV is the PERFECT format for a story like The Last of Us. Especially if the duo want's to go all in--and show new things that we weren't able to see from Joel and Ellie's story (as they do explicitly mention the two.) If not a direct adaptation--a story on the origins of the Fireflies, and how they rose up before the events of TLoU Part One's time skip after the prologue would be a perfect story that would allow Ellie to be present in some capacity.
I assume that most of the people who will watch the show will be people who play the games, so doing a direct adaptation doesn't seem like the best way to go. We know that story. I'd love to see them adapt and also fill in the gaps - bouncing from Joel and Ellie to the Fireflies a lot. Especially with the long time span between Part 1 and Part 2.

Thinking about it though - there's a big age difference between Part 1 Ellie and Part 2 Ellie so you couldn't use the same actress. I could see the story going in a million different directions honestly.

I assume that most of the people who will watch the show will be people who play the games, so doing a direct adaptation doesn't seem like the best way to go. We know that story. I'd love to see them adapt and also fill in the gaps - bouncing from Joel and Ellie to the Fireflies a lot. Especially with the long time span between Part 1 and Part 2.

Thinking about it though - there's a big age difference between Part 1 Ellie and Part 2 Ellie so you couldn't use the same actress. I could see the story going in a million different directions honestly.

I don't think the gap is as small as you think--and that this will be the first big instance of TLoU hitting more main-stream outlet's that's not necessarily a console.

Speaking of mainstream--this will be replacing the film adaptation that was previously planned.

Last edited:
What makes me intently curious about Pedro as Joel, is to see the direction he takes from what Baker managed to do by just mocap and vocals. A larger extent goes to Bella, as this will be her main debuting role as a major lead character.

It makes me giddy to see such care being given to these two characters from just an acting standpoint. I can't wait to see what Mazin does with the scripts.

Reactions: Nick
What makes me intently curious about Pedro as Joel, is to see the direction he takes from what Baker managed to do by just mocap and vocals. A larger extent goes to Bella, as this will be her main debuting role as a major lead character.

It makes me giddy to see such care being given to these two characters from just an acting standpoint. I can't wait to see what Mazin does with the scripts.
They are such great characters so I’m glad the show is getting the HBO treatment, too. I’m glad this turned into a show from a movie as I just don’t think you could properly capture this game just in a singular 2 hour movie.

They are such great characters so I’m glad the show is getting the HBO treatment, too. I’m glad this turned into a show from a movie as I just don’t think you could properly capture this game just in a singular 2 hour movie.

If anything, it makes me giddy to see *how* they adapt it. I can actually see them playing into the Seasonal aspect of the first game, by having each season being a fleshed out rendition of each time period that the games settings take place in (Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter). It'd also allow them to save TLOU2 content until later on, along with potentially going more into depth on certain other factors.

I'm excited to see what can be coming to play--though I wonder how Mazin is making time for this and Borderlands. The dude's off the chain.

Reactions: Nick
If anything, it makes me giddy to see *how* they adapt it. I can actually see them playing into the Seasonal aspect of the first game, by having each season being a fleshed out rendition of each time period that the games settings take place in (Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter). It'd also allow them to save TLOU2 content until later on, along with potentially going more into depth on certain other factors.

I'm excited to see what can be coming to play--though I wonder how Mazin is making time for this and Borderlands. The dude's off the chain.
I thought this show was taking place after the original game but before 2? If not, I really hope we see Tess in this series. In a perfect world Evangeline Lilly would play her if she’s in it.

Gabriel Luna cast to play Tommy. Not sure how I feel about that... He doesn’t look old enough imo.