Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info | Page 37 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Still think they can attempt 1-2 more stage shows + lagoon before doing something drastic like this. Most locals are not getting into a 90+ minute wait for Stranger Things, need to move those bodies elsewhere.
Problem is that 90+ minute wait isn't from a greater number of people standing in that standby line versus years past, it's a greater number of people (locals with multinight express like myself) using a larger percentage of the houses capacity.

Also with staffing as stretched thin is it is (which I think could be mitigated if they stopped being greedy and paid their employees more) how would they staff these extra shows without having to pull resources from the other places?

And even with more shows, there seems to always be a group that will try to go as much as possible... so do you solve that by limiting the shows to one viewing a night per guests via some ticketing system?

I don't think there is one specific solution, but they have to be proactive and get ahead of this before it hits that cutoff where everyone just moves on and they lose all the good will towards the event.

Unless they have plans to eventually build another land between kidzone and mib they needed to make that into a hub areas with a giant pavilion that the houses back there all come off of. They could also do something like that behind the sound stages to at least pull some of the entrances off the main stretch. They just physically need more space to put people unless they are going to lower their cap for max attendance.

Yea, while I'm all for more offerings at the event, I don't think more shows will move the needle when it comes to making the event feel less crowded

Why is it that we always hold the mouse accountable for lacking attraction capacity... yet Universal/HHN gets a pass? I think the event can grow attendance-wise and still offer new attractions/experiences before they even consider a hard capacity limit with reservations, ridiculous price increases, etc.

I don't think people want more haunted houses, some of the originals are walk-ons at the start/end of the event (with the occasional Blood Moon walk-on throughout the night thanks to exaggerated posted wait times).

Being limited by the park's infrastructure is a poor excuse, especially since they're in a bit of an infrastructure build right now (new restrooms by Today Cafe are very nice). I know Legacy brought up the idea of limited infrastructure like restrooms (which Universal underbuilt and hasn't really updated until recently), but I feel like these are minor easily remedied problems that shouldn't hold them back.

Unless they have plans to eventually build another land between kidzone and mib they needed to make that into a hub areas with a giant pavilion that the houses back there all come off of. They could also do something like that behind the sound stages to at least pull some of the entrances off the main stretch. They just physically need more space to put people unless they are going to lower their cap for max attendance.

They can easily "expand" the park area by moving 2 houses (such as Blood Moon/Exorcist) or an exit over to the BMG courtyard area... which has more bathrooms that are not being utilized during the event (since the event needs more infrastructure), put some food booths back there (which the BMG theater has).

Right now there are 3 houses (+2) that dump directly or near the poor Fallon bathrooms.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
They can easily "expand" the park area by moving 2 houses (such as Blood Moon/Exorcist) or an exit over to the BMG courtyard area... which has more bathrooms that are not being utilized during the event (since the event needs more infrastructure), put some food booths back there (which the BMG theater has).

Right now there are 3 houses (+2) that dump directly or near the poor Fallon bathrooms.
In regards to the BMG theater part, again, just because these buildings exist, doesn't mean they're vacant or available. BMG theater is used for Grinchmas prep during parts of HHN and is also used by security as a holding area for troublesome guests. It's always easier said than done.

Last edited:
Why is it that we always hold the mouse accountable for lacking attraction capacity... yet Universal/HHN gets a pass? I think the event can grow attendance-wise and still offer new attractions/experiences before they even consider a hard capacity limit with reservations, ridiculous price increases, etc.
I don't think they can grow attendance wise at all at this point comfortably

Again, I'm all for more shows. I just don't think it's going to change anything with how crowded the event feels.
I don't think people want more haunted houses, some of the originals are walk-ons at the start/end of the event (with the occasional Blood Moon walk-on throughout the night thanks to exaggerated posted wait times).
Yea I'm gonna disagree hard on this one. This is like saying "People don't want more rides" in a theme park. They're the reason people are there.

Hear me out: one sound stage, 4 houses, make it 2 levels and have 2 houses on each level. Yes I know this is logistically not possible but if anyone would be crazy enough to do this, it would be Universal considering how they built Transformers on 2 levels seamlessly.

Hear me out: one sound stage, 4 houses, make it 2 levels and have 2 houses on each level. Yes I know this is logistically not possible but if anyone would be crazy enough to do this, it would be Universal considering how they built Transformers on 2 levels seamlessly.
Um… not very likely. HHN is temporary, Transformers is a permanent ride installation. A second level house would make lighting the lower level maze nearly impossible and sound would bleed like crazy. Then there’re ADA requirements which means Uni would need to install elevators to transport people to those houses. It would be crazy expensive without a real payoff.

Also I don’t see how this would help capacity if you crowd all that into one space.

Frankly, since we're bringing Disney into the mix, let's look at MNSSHP.

Jack and Sally's meet & greet consistently hits 3+ hour wait times throughout the event because it's a fan favorite similar to Stranger Things/The Last of Us at HHN. This is despite the fact that ticketing sells out quickly, multi-night passes don't exist, the event has 4 shows, 22 attractions are open, and has over 20 other meet & greets available. The rides typically have bare minimum wait times and do little to draw people away from this fan favorite meet & greet.

No matter what HHN introduces, I truly don't think you're suddenly going to see something like Stranger Things stop having 2 hour waits. People aren't going to trade their limited event time seeing a second or third show over the property that got them to buy their ticket in the first place.

Well, this certainly became a pivot.. lol

Of course, we all would welcome more shows, but as a few of us keep saying over and over - that's not the remedy for crowding.

It's just like adding the 11th house - you increase the capacity of the event. So the areas that are congested will now have an extra thousand people through.

I’m gonna be honest, this has been one of the smoothest years, from an Ops standpoint, that I’ve ever experienced (been going since 2007). Granted I skipped opening weekend, but I feel like lines are moving fast, food’s being served quickly, and traffic is flowing well. I wonder if those with the most concerns only recently started visiting, or were really just counting on September being literally dead.

I’m gonna be honest, this has been one of the smoothest years, from an Ops standpoint, that I’ve ever experienced (been going since 2007). Granted I skipped opening weekend, but I feel like lines are moving fast, food’s being served quickly, and traffic is flowing well. I wonder if those with the most concerns only recently started visiting, or were really just counting on September being literally dead.

I think experience may vary. Just like house runs. There are improvements on the Ops side but it still isn't perfect. I know there were a few instances where Express waited beyond the "half" of the normal wait. San Fran, CP, and around MIB can get completely clogged up. Some food spots have long lines one night, but are well-oiled machines the next.

My worry is as we get into the heart of the event where it's supposed to get busier.

I think experience may vary. Just like house runs. There are improvements on the Ops side but it still isn't perfect. I know there were a few instances where Express waited beyond the "half" of the normal wait. San Fran, CP, and around MIB can get completely clogged up. Some food spots have long lines one night, but are well-oiled machines the next.

My worry is as we get into the heart of the event where it's supposed to get busier.
Of course, but I do think it’s worth pointing out the positive experiences (and I’ve been a few times now). It’s not like the event as it currently exists is a complete lost cause and it’s very possible to have a good time. Even at its worst, this year has nothing on par with 2012 Walking Dead, the 2007 slashers, the mob of people crowding around Mel’s in 2015 for Jack or 2016 for the voodoo lady, etc.

In regards to the BMG theater part, again, just because these buildings exist, doesn't mean they're vacant or available. BMG theater is used for Grinchmas prep during parts of HHN and is also used by security as a holding area for troublesome guests. It's always easier said than done.
They can still use the courtyard for HHN, you can easily move security elsewhere (this shouldn't be blocking them from expanding).

I don't think they can grow attendance wise at all at this point comfortably

Again, I'm all for more shows. I just don't think it's going to change anything with how crowded the event feels.

Yea I'm gonna disagree hard on this one. This is like saying "People don't want more rides" in a theme park. They're the reason people are there.
While I want more houses, crowds suggest otherwise (with the exception of IPs). When some of the originals become walk-ons later in the night, it suggests that the event hasn't hit a tipping point house-wise. I think the event does need a fine balance of IP to Original houses to slow down the demand at the other IP houses. (Sorry, Monsters doesn't have the IP draw of other houses).

Well, this certainly became a pivot.. lol

Of course, we all would welcome more shows, but as a few of us keep saying over and over - that's not the remedy for crowding.

It's just like adding the 11th house - you increase the capacity of the event. So the areas that are congested will now have an extra thousand people through.
A show at Bourne/BMG/Horror Makeup would move extra guests to an otherwise vacant area during HHN at the front of the park. That'll help alleviate NY/San Fran/MIB area post-HNF.

It's gotten better, no doubt, but there are still a few issues, and bottlenecks that still occur. Parking has gotten better, security is quick, and houses are back to normal staffing level.

They can still use the courtyard for HHN, you can easily move security elsewhere (this shouldn't be blocking them from expanding).

While I want more houses, crowds suggest otherwise (with the exception of IPs). When some of the originals become walk-ons later in the night, it suggests that the event hasn't hit a tipping point house-wise. I think the event does need a fine balance of IP to Original houses to slow down the demand at the other IP houses. (Sorry, Monsters doesn't have the IP draw of other houses).

A show at Bourne/BMG/Horror Makeup would move extra guests to an otherwise vacant area during HHN at the front of the park. That'll help alleviate NY/San Fran/MIB area post-HNF.

It's gotten better, no doubt, but there are still a few issues, and bottlenecks that still occur. Parking has gotten better, security is quick, and houses are back to normal staffing level.
I don’t think you’re grasping the capacity issue. Say we’re handling 20k guests between the present lineup. Let’s say you add 2 shows - you’re now having 25k go through the same walkways. Compare it to a plumbing situation - if the main pipe is getting clogged up, you don’t add an extra pipe - you widen it. A show doesnt “widen it.”

Of course, but I do think it’s worth pointing out the positive experiences (and I’ve been a few times now). It’s not like the event as it currently exists is a complete lost cause and it’s very possible to have a good time. Even at its worst, this year has nothing on par with 2012 Walking Dead, the 2007 slashers, the mob of people crowding around Mel’s in 2015 for Jack or 2016 for the voodoo lady, etc.

Someone on Twitter said that 2007 was when frequent fear passes sold out as well. Your comment reminded me

I don’t think you’re grasping the capacity issue. Say we’re handling 20k guests between the present lineup. Let’s say you add 2 shows - you’re now having 25k go through the same walkways. Compare it to a plumbing situation - if the main pipe is getting clogged up, you don’t add an extra pipe - you widen it. A show doesnt “widen it.”
Or universal could add shows with the same capacity cap.

Frankly, since we're bringing Disney into the mix, let's look at MNSSHP.

Jack and Sally's meet & greet consistently hits 3+ hour wait times throughout the event because it's a fan favorite similar to Stranger Things/The Last of Us at HHN. This is despite the fact that ticketing sells out quickly, multi-night passes don't exist, the event has 4 shows, 22 attractions are open, and has over 20 other meet & greets available. The rides typically have bare minimum wait times and do little to draw people away from this fan favorite meet & greet.

No matter what HHN introduces, I truly don't think you're suddenly going to see something like Stranger Things stop having 2 hour waits. People aren't going to trade their limited event time seeing a second or third show over the property that got them to buy their ticket in the first place.
Disney meet and greets are a very minor part of the parties capacity wise even with 20. I would be shocked if there is enough capacity for every guest to each do one meet and greet. A minority of people go primarily for meet and greets. If an individual meet and greet had the same demand as a horror nights house the wait would be longer than the entire event. Disney has low wait times on the rides because they have a guarantee of the full ticket price for every guest every night so they don't need to supplement with line skipping passes. If universal went with the same business model, the lines would be shorter. This is such a poor comparison I am not sure why anyone is liking it.

Reactions: Stonecoldfreak1
People keep talking about more shows as a quick crowding fix, but I’m pretty Bill and Ted had issues with not fitting everyone in the queue, even they had additional shows. A big reason for that was the shows they could actually put in the other venues (which couldn’t change sets because of daytime shows), never reached capacity because guests didn’t care.

People keep talking about more shows as a quick crowding fix, but I’m pretty Bill and Ted had issues with not fitting everyone in the queue, even they had additional shows. A big reason for that was the shows they could actually put in the other venues (which couldn’t change sets because of daytime shows), never reached capacity because guests didn’t care.

Rocky horror and the magic show never filled up bettlejuice theater. I remember .
I guess that's why an extra house or some kind of meet and greet lounge or something like that would work more ? ( I know logistics and space for an extra house are impossible)
But if anything, technically, an extra house " would " be more effective than a show people dont care about. ( I know an extra house is not actually possible. I'm just saying that houses will always have more demand than shows