Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Reviews, Photos, & Videos | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Reviews, Photos, & Videos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It was constant during Hurricane Ian on the Orlando HHN Facebook page. On-site guest were being ridiculed for asking if the parks were opening . Some admitted to being TMs. One person want as far as saying they worked all night so people can have their entitled vacations and never got a thank you from any guests. One Scare Actor said something to the effect of I hope you all are happy HHN is opening, but there will be No scare actors so Universal is ripping you off. Again this is not the majority, I seen other TMs warn them about the post saying it’s against social media policy but seems they didn’t care.

Ohhhh like from their personal accounts?

Yeah, that’s a bad look. I thought the policy used to be if you had any mention of your employment at UO you couldn’t talk about it online, good or bad. That’s how it should be.

Reactions: Alsands
Thoughts after three nights and (fittingly!) 31 runs through houses:

Houses:

10. Hellblock Horror
Grade: 6/10
Runs: 3 (including one solo)

While there was plenty of time to salvage the scrapped IP into an original concept, it didn't quite work in execution. The sets and creature design are forgettable, and while some actors startled me each run, the boohole placement and cast energy hindered scares (a recurring issue for soundstage houses this year).

9. Spirits of the Coven
Grade: 7/10

Love the concept and story, but I'm afraid it needed another draft with better pacing before turning it into a house. The first half of the house contains almost no scares, and the second half falls victim to a similar issue as Hellblock: the booholes don't allow the cast to make the most of their scares, relying more on tight walkways than actually performing. The underground scenes needed to be more than just a cramped basement and play into witch folklore.

8. Fiesta de Chupucabras
Grade: 7/10

The house is well executed with decent but repetitive scares. I would've liked to see the chupacabras spread out more than saving 3/4 of them for the last two scenes as villagers alone couldn't carry enough rooms.

7. Halloween
Grade: 7.5/10
Runs: 2

Let's get the obvious out of the way: 2014 was miles better. This was still a solid stab at the original film with a few Michaels providing surprising scares. The one area it surpasses the 2014 house comes from the large soundstage sets, which are at the price of sacrificing scare quality. Evil never dies, but it's time to let the Boogeyman rest for an extended period. PLEASE.

6. Dead Man's Pier: Winter's Wake
Grade: 7.5/10
Runs: 3

This felt similar to Dead Waters: breathtaking, innovative sets with absolutely no scares. Fortunately, Dead Man's Pier didn't feel short like Dead Waters, but throughout my three runs, I was never scared. Unlike Coven and Hellblock, boohole placement wasn't an issue; instead, the costume design restricted the cast's motion like Depths of Fear did a couple years ago (I'm noticing a trend with water-based houses...). I can see why people love it, but for me, it's probably one of the most overrated houses in recent memory.

5. The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare
Grade: 8/10

While this year lacked a lighter house (Bugs ain't a comedy house, folks), The Weeknd was consistently a fun house to walk through. The cast always provided me a couple of scares each time, and a few rooms had great set design. Of course, the soundtrack is great too, adding to the house's enjoyment. I would've liked to see more room variety as roughly half the house felt very similar scenically.

4. Descendants of Destruction
Grade: 8.5/10

One of the best houses this year for both sets and scares. The subway scenes are fun, but the house really takes off once you're below the surface. The underground scenes here are what Coven should have done. The creature design late in the house could have been more original (I think Seeds of Extinction handled the design much better), but otherwise, this was always a strong, scary house to run through.

3. Bugs: Eaten Alive!
Grade: 9/10

As someone afraid of insects, this was quite the disgusting house in a good way! I loved the air and water effects throughout; my shirt got fairly wet in several runs. The cast is high-energy, and while I would've like to see more bug scares than victim scares, almost every actor scared me at some point.

2. The Horrors of Blumhouse
Grade: 9/10
Runs: 4

After four tries, we finally have a great Horrors of Blumhouse. This is the shocking sleeper hit of the year for me. The Freaky section is fun with decent startles, but it's simply an appetizer for the main course. The Black Phone consistently provided the best scares of the event along with Monsters and never felt repetitive. Every Grabber actor was intense and lingered well after their prompt ended. As standalone houses, Freaky would probably be land between Hellblock and Coven while The Black Phone alone is in the top three. Having both pushes it over the edge as my runner-up for HOTY.

1. Universal Monsters: Legends Collide
Grade: 9.5/10
Runs: 4

The first time I went through Legends Collide, I knew it would be hard to top for HOTY. Four runs later, my love for it grew every time I went through. Almost every corner had an actor waiting in the wings to scare you, and with monsters beyond the main three, I never knew what to expect even on repeat runs. Even when actors were absent (more of an issue on Friday than Weds/Thurs), the room was never empty. The sets are fantastic, further enhancing the house's unpredictability. It's the best of the modern monster houses so far, and I can't wait to see where the team goes next.

Zones:
5. Conjure the Dark
- San Francisco zones are always tricky, but they did the best with the concept and what the space allows. The orc design is nice.
4. Sweet Revenge - Love the sets, but I think the cast wasn't that intense compared to the other zones this year.
3. Horrors of Halloween - The Pumpkin Lord alone gets this a good mark, but the zone often felt empty compared to the others.
2. Deadly Unrest - Both this and Scarecrow had intense casts that weren't afraid to get in your face. The sets were a bit more forgettable than other zones, but the cast saves it.
1. Scarecrow: Cursed Soil - Central Park continues to be the best place for zones. I loved the sets and costume design here, and as I said above, the cast was always aggressive.

Nightmare Fuel - Meh. I think other shows in the past few years have been better.

After finishing our ninth night figure it’s a good time to review.

1. Legends- Far and away out favorite house. Consistently provided the best and most scares. Easily the most committed scare actors IMO. The triple scare is fantastic.

2. Weekend- Always a good time with very good scares. Can’t really beat the atmosphere too.

3. Blumhouse. Black Phone as said by many carried this house. The Freaky portions wasn’t terrible, but the designed scares weren’t as good. Black phone was always on point.

4. Dead Man’s Pier- Ranked here on set design only. Holy crap is it an amazing looking house, but the scares just weren’t ever really there.

5. Chupacabra- love me some large animal puppets. The entry facade is so dang good too.

6. Descendants-pretty good but never got a truly great run. Well designed, but would have liked the ending to be more intense. All the black light mutants are situated like 5 feet back and never even get close which felt strange.

7. Bugs- interesting idea but was always just ok. The final giant bug room was missing scare actors which was a disappointment IMO.

8. Halloween- I just don’t care for Michael. Just a lot of the same scares outside of the mirror ending.

9. Hell Block- Decent for a last minute house. Felt like a lot of the scares though we’re just going through the motion. The alien in the cell always just kind of went into frame and waved their hand.

10. Spirits of the coven- MEH. Just not very good.

Enjoyed this year, but a step down from years past. Had some great/good houses in Legends/Weekend/Black Phone, but some of the others just not memorable. It might be the scare placements or the actors themselves but just not very intense in most houses. Legends was great and might rank high on my all time list though.

Did all 10 houses tonight. Will do more tomorrow but I don't think my rankings are going to change much. I'll post more in-depth later but basically:

Monsters is #1. Dead Man's is probably the best scenic they've done. The Weeknd is the most fun.

Coven missed the mark. Hellblock tried.

Just a few photos from tonight.

DSC03198.JPGDSC03795.JPGDSC03830.JPGDSC03862.JPGDSC04214.JPGDSC04293.JPGDSC04338.JPG

Last edited:
I’m simply here to make sure everyone realizes that Hellblock was a Hive sequel in disguise. Appropriate that it was another last minute house. I enjoyed that.

Reactions: Darko
We visited HHN for the first time ever on Wednesday last week and got 5 of the mazes complete, with the intention of completing the final 5 last night. On Wednesday we had a bit of a brutal day having done early entry to Islands, and then doing the stay and scream. Last night we decided to have a drink in advance, turn up when it was dark and try get into the spirit of it a little more.

I really really wanted to love this event but I just didn’t. I don’t understand the hype unfortunately :(

I didn’t find the scare zones scary at all, and the issue with the scare mazes is unavoidable, as there’s a constant stream of people ahead of you you can hear what’s to come. The best scare mazes I’ve seen elsewhere send you in small batches, but that would be absolutely impossible given the crowds so I understand why it’s set up as it is.

Set designs are impressive though of the mazes we went through.

Having experienced the 5 we did, we couldn’t justify spending 80-110 minutes to do others yesterday. The payoff just wasn’t there in the same way it would be, for say Hagrids.

There’s a generally good atmosphere and everyone’s in the mood for a party, but I feel like that’s just most European cities on a Friday and Saturday evening. But in many of these cities, you’re not spending $15 on a drink.

Love the resort but HHN just isn’t for us, which is upsetting.

Howl-o-scream Orlando tonight. The set pieces at Busch (in the daylight) looked very impressive, and beyond Universals, so I have decent expectations

I don't want to sidetrack discussion here, but we went to HoS Orlando last night. It was the first time this season that I felt like I was back at a haunt and we had a blast.

We definitely had fun at HHN this year but there was definitely something missing, and I feel like it may be giving the scareactors room to work (physical and permission wise). I'm going to seriously debate getting a full FFP next year vs getting a multi night pass for HoS.

I don't want to sidetrack discussion here, but we went to HoS Orlando last night. It was the first time this season that I felt like I was back at a haunt and we had a blast.

We definitely had fun at HHN this year but there was definitely something missing, and I feel like it may be giving the scareactors room to work (physical and permission wise). I'm going to seriously debate getting a full FFP next year vs getting a multi night pass for HoS.
Yep, love HoS Orlando much more.

I love HHN but it’s now the one and done for me each year. We did HoS Orlando last year for its first year, and went multiple times this year. So much more fun and genuinely scary. Such an amazing event.

Also HoS scare zones are just fantastic.

The biggest thing I noticed this year way the lack of being waved forward. We were actually able to slow down a bit at time to give us space from the people in front of use and not be yelled at.

Ya see, I actually got waved through just as many times as years when it was "bad", which was especially frustrating after hearing they weren't doing it this year. It actually ruined Monsters for me. I go with older folks who can't walk fast and if the person in front of me takes off in a sprint, I ain't catching up without hurting my party members. And most of the front ops were shouting about keeping up with the party ahead of you, even if the ops in the house weren't doing anything about it.

As for my on topic review: everything seemed like it was a good idea, executed about 60-75%. An overall "mid" year with nothing standing out. For calibration, I've been going since 2008, and 2008-2010 were probably the best cohesive years I've seen, with single houses in every other year I'd put over any single house those years.

These were all done in one night with express.

Dead Man's Pier was great, felt all the atmosphere, made the house for me, but then they only did a little bit with it. Put this plus a Saws and Steam together and you'd make a great Bioshock house. 8/10.

Bugs was another one that I enjoyed the idea, but felt it could've just gone more. More bugs, more puppets, more victims. 7/10.

Halloween was my party's favorite. They don't compare year to year, so to them, this was just as enjoyable to the previous one. But this is my review, so I get to say it was good, but not as good as the original version. 7/10.

The Weeknd: another house I enjoyed what they were going for, but think we got a bad run, as the scares just kept missing. The energy from the music helped a lot. 6/10.

I was pleasantly surprised by Coven. We must have hit it just right because it seemed like there was plenty going on, and it had an interesting premise. 6/10.

Fiesta was alright. Not what I expected it to be, I wanted more puppets and Chupacabras, but that didn't make the house any less. Sits perfectly average any year to me. 5/10.

Why wasn't Hellblock just an MIB house? Everything looked alien enough, if you had just put the guards in suits, it would've worked. Other than that, not a bad replacement. Again, an average house any year. 5/10

I'm going to be honest, grading Monsters fairly, it would be a 6 or 7. The detail was great, there were plenty of people jumping around and I enjoyed the story. My experience in the house dropped it a few points. There's no reason to rush people along if they never stop moving. 5/10.

Blumhouse was Blumhouse. I wouldn't miss it, but it was pretty good for what it was trying to do. The second facade seemed to take me out of it. 4/10.

Descendants was like Havoc to me. High energy, but feels like it's a simple plot to just throw things into a house. Not bad, not memorable. 4/10.

We didn't see the show and were done by about 11 with a couple of short breaks, before calling it a night.

My party also did Sea World HOS and a local haunt the week I was around, and we may have gotten lucky, but we got a lot more out of those tickets for a lot less money. There's a saying being thrown around in another Fandom I'm a part of: "this product isn't for you". With the cost of HHN for what we saw and how crowds and ops were being run that night, for my party, the product may not be for us anymore.

So when I was doing the post for my house count, I realized that over the past few years, as the event has grown more crowded/popular, i've started to go less. I went back to look at my final numbers from each year and this is what I got.

Number of visits each year with houses in parentheses.
28: worked event - 42 houses
28: worked event - 41 houses
29: worked event - 31 houses
30: 4 nights, 35 houses
31: 2 nights, 11 houses

Now clearly I was more likely to go through houses when I was working as a scareactor based on these numbers - although that's not me going to the event necessarily, it was me running through a house at the end of the night quickly or something like that after work. Also though, the crowds are a big turn off for me. I generally enjoy the atmosphere of the event, however it's just gone downhill so much since I started going to haunts in 2008.

With HOS in town as the biggest competition it's ever had now as well, HHN's shortcomings are also more apparent than ever. Not just because it's a quality event, but because many, if not most of the people who work the event either have worked HHN in the past or still work HHN. The only difference now is that they are being set free almost like it's HHN in the 2000's again and they are actually being allowed to basically do whatever they want (within reason) when they are on set.

my review is that this event needs an 11th house and a third show
They need it big time. This is probably a stupid question, but what if Universal were to stop featuring really big IPs like The Weeknd, Halloween, Stranger Things, etc., and instead go for IPs like Pumpkinhead, House of 1000 Corpses, Basket Case, They Live, 13 Ghosts, etc.? I'm not saying don't ever feature really big IPs, just don't have most of the IP line-up be stupidly popular IPs. Would it help with the crowds?

After going for all of closing week here is my rankings.
Houses:
1) Universal’s Monsters: Legends Collide
2) Halloween
3) Descendants of Destruction
4) Dead Man’s Pier: Winter’s Wake
5) Bugs: Eate
6) Horrors of Blumhouse
7) Fiesta De Chupacabras
8) The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare
9) Spirits of the Coven
10) Hellblock Horror

Scarezones:
1) Deadly Unrest
2) Scarecrow: Cursed Soil
3) Sweet Revenge
4) Horrors of Halloween
5) Conjure the Dark

Shows:
1) Nightmare Fuel: Wildfire
2) Ghoulish

Final Rankings:

1. Monsters: After a pretty tame start, the cast found their footing and really went off. The 2nd half of the house really was the most chaotic, and that triple scare never missed a beat. One run, Dracula bungeed so close to my wife and nearly covered her with his cape that she freaked out. Just an awesome moment.

2. Black Phone: I would have preferred if this was a stand-alone. In a movie that has limited characters and scenes, the house never felt stale; and all the Grabbers were always intense. The final night, they went out with a bang and had probably the best run of any house throughout the event.

3. Weeknd: Just pure fun. It did have some scares, and the actors did pretty great throughout the event.

4. Dead Man’s Pier - Arguably the best scenic in the event's history, but the cast never really hit that extra gear that I thought they could find after Opening Weekend. People will remember this house because of the sets and the Siren's scene, but I don't think it's an all-timer because the scares were soft.

5. DOD - Despite it being "Another Apocalyptic House", the cast really elevated the runs where all my runs were always fun.

6. Chupacabra - A great concept that relied on timing. When it hit, it hit great, but if you missed the actors or Chupa, it could be dull.

7. Halloween - Still good, but too much "been there, done that". We need a Mikey break for a good while.

8. Bugs - It just never clicked for me since bugs, specifically fake bugs, don't bother me. They should've gone a bit more in with the campy/over-the-top. It also seemed like the house had some holes towards the event's end which impacted enjoyment.

9. Freaky: Admittedly, I had a fantastic run of Freaky on the final night; but all other nights were just kinda OK. It's only this low because other houses were better.

10. Hellblock: I saw others say it was old-school HHN, and I see that - but I didn't like the gimmick. The cast tried and it was definitely fun, and considering this was last minute - I would call it a win.

11. Coven: I feel bad for the actors, but this house was bad. It started strong, but then it just... stops. They added things throughout the event but it didn't help. Shame, since it was such a great idea. I think they needed to focus more on the killing and brew making instead of the bootlegging part.

11. Coven: I feel bad for the actors, but this house was bad. It started strong, but then it just... stops. They added things throughout the event but it didn't help. Shame, since it was such a great idea. I think they needed to focus more on the killing and brew making instead of the bootlegging part.

I have no idea what company builds which houses or if it is just one company that builds all of them but for some reason the stylings of Coven reminded me of Tooth Fairy. Was it the same people that built both houses or different people?

Reactions: Lucky Planet