Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info | Page 63 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
They're already trying to foist Chucky as an icon... he's on one of the main HHN shirts for this along with Frankenstien and the Bride, which makes no sense at all since he's not even in the Hollywood event at all this year (unless I've missed something)? Like, I don't want to buy the shirt just because it makes no sense to have done that. Bugs me.

They're already trying to foist Chucky as an icon... he's on one of the main HHN shirts for this along with Frankenstien and the Bride, which makes no sense at all since he's not even in the Hollywood event at all this year (unless I've missed something)? Like, I don't want to buy the shirt just because it makes no sense to have done that. Bugs me.

Chucky is part of the Universal library, and has a very easy approval process to get put on merch.

Plus, he always sells A LOT.

I just realized there’s no curtains in the mazes, probably to avoid lots of contact

To protect people with COVID-19, the mazes have lost SIF and added dividers in some places. The actors in Hollywood always have felt more aggressive than Orlando, and based off of videos, the actors are truly giving it their all even behind dividers. However, I think the loss of SIF in Hollywood really makes it more apparent how bad Hollywood's transitions are. Like in Orlando, the transitions in Hill House from the basement to the black hallways are great because the designers understand how to transition using scenic and lighting. In Hollywood, the transitions are so off putting from a scenic room and into a black wall wonderland (especially now that SIF is gone).

Personally have never been too invested in the whole icon thing, so generic scary guy in the commercial doesn’t bother me haha.
I think it's a cool feature for their event, but icon envy is just a west coast complaint narrative that pretty much only exists on this board, as far as I can tell. Not to mention that outside of the select group of people with a specific and prolonged interest in all things HHN, Jack is just another scary clown, which is probably as generic as generic gets in 2021.

Reactions: HydraGen2299
I think it's a cool feature for their event, but icon envy is just a west coast complaint narrative that pretty much only exists on this board, as far as I can tell. Not to mention that outside of the select group of people with a specific and prolonged interest in all things HHN, Jack is just another scary clown, which is probably as generic as generic gets in 2021.

That generic clown bumps the needle big time, especially with merchandise. If UO had their way, they’d use Jack as much as possible. Fortunately, cooler heads have prevailed.

That generic clown bumps the needle big time*, especially with merchandise. If UO had their way, they’d use Jack as much as possible. Fortunately, cooler heads have prevailed.
*in Orlando. Introduce him to a general L.A. audience, sans context? I dunno. You'd have people asking where the It house is.

Even with context, I don't think the needle moves much. Another demented clown to go with Pennywise, Joker(s), Harley Quinn, Captain Spaulding, Twisty, Killer Klownz from Outer Space, and all the rest?

Not trying to knock the concept of icons or Jack at all, I think it's cool and a great feature for Orlando. But out here it's just more unnecessary kindling for the whine fire.

*in Orlando. Introduce him to a general L.A. audience, sans context? I dunno. You'd have people asking where the It house is.

Even with context, I don't think the needle moves much. Another demented clown to go with Pennywise, Joker(s), Harley Quinn, Captain Spaulding, Twisty, Killer Klownz from Outer Space, and all the rest?

Not trying to knock the concept of icons or Jack at all, I think it's cool and a great feature for Orlando. But out here it's just more unnecessary kindling for the whine fire.

No, no asterisk. Sure, Orlando gets a bigger bump from him but for whatever reason, Jack attracts a nationwide audience. Fwiw, He’s also already been used in Hollywood in the early years but leads over there prefer to not rely on icons.

No, no asterisk. Sure, Orlando gets a bigger bump from him but for whatever reason, Jack attracts a nationwide audience. Fwiw, He’s also already been used in Hollywood in the early years but leads over there prefer to not rely on icons.
Not to belabor things but plug "jack the clown horror nights" into a Google search and the only news items that mention his return in their headline are the usual local outlets and theme park blogs -- a few of the latter do have a national audience but a niche one nevertheless. Again, I'm not trying to knock Jack or icons, the whole concept is awesome. But it hasn't been included in Hollywood in what, 14 or 15 years? It isn't essential to anything Hollywood does. Why complain?

I mean honestly if they wanted to go full icon with Hollywood Harry I honestly believe they could do it.
I've had non-super fan friends who havent come to the event since 2016 who still remember Hollywood Harry and his character. I feel like that indicates some degree of staying power with general audiences even if he is just another clown on a base level.

Not to belabor things but plug "jack the clown horror nights" into a Google search and the only news items that mention his return in their headline are the usual local outlets and theme park blogs -- a few of the latter do have a national audience but a niche one nevertheless. Again, I'm not trying to knock Jack or icons, the whole concept is awesome. But it hasn't been included in Hollywood in what, 14 or 15 years? It isn't essential to anything Hollywood does. Why complain?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying USH needs an Icon. They've been successful without one; same with Orlando. You're also basing this info on Google search, whereas mine is a bit more.... inside. The point being, Jack is a bit more than "generic". His usage could be helpful if they chose to, but Murdy and the team prefer a different route (Not that it's wrong, just different). Also - There's evidence that LA residents can attach themselves to something. The Green Witch at Knott's is probably a good example.

Reactions: snayberry
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying USH needs an Icon. They've been successful without one; same with Orlando. You're also basing this info on Google search, whereas mine is a bit more.... inside. The point being, Jack is a bit more than "generic". His usage could be helpful if they chose to, but Murdy and the team prefer a different route (Not that it's wrong, just different). Also - There's evidence that LA residents can attach themselves to something. The Green Witch at Knott's is probably a good example.
Knotts is actually an excellent example, so many monsters with even less publicly available backstory and advertising as Jack have become iconic in their own right purely from having striking designs and returning year after year, even if at face value the basic concept is "generic". A character doesnt have to be wholly original like nothing ever seen in horror before to be a good icon, they just have to be something memorable that embodies the spirit of the event as a whole.
I think the major difference between the west and east coasts is in general on the west coast it feels like icon-ish characters are determined more by fan reaction rather than advertising, knotts characters and Hollywood Harry being good examples of that.

. . . inside. Now there's a name for a site. Your point is well taken and I agree with the above posts as well that Hollywood Harry could probably fit a "Jack" role out here. It'd be super fun. I just bump up against these seemingly endless complaints about trivial things like TV commercials. I guess I just can't comprehend spending hundreds of dollars on something that I resent lol.

Judging by EP last night, my gameplan is probably going to be this:

1. Utilize early entry for Exorcist and TCM
2. Tram
3. Hill House and Pandora
4. Break/meal
5. Bride
6. Do whatever after that.

To those who went to EP what do you think about this?

2. Tram
4. Break/meal
5. Bride

I didn’t go to EP, but I’m probably gonna go to Hill House and Pandora after lower lot. Sounds solid aside from that.

Reactions: Freak

2. Tram
4. Break/meal
5. Bride

This seems like the plan. Bride and the Waterworld maze never get nearly as packed as the other mazes.