Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 188 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
upload_2018-7-13_2-17-12.jpeg
>John when he was reading the comments on Twitter

The back lot seems underwhelming this year. The purge has over stayed it’s time, Blumhouse seems mediocre with some of the proprieties, would rather prefer AHS, poltergeist is alright but would prefer a more creative classic maze like The thing or Suspria with it’s A E S T H E T I C S

The 20-30 people who post on forums and the 500 people actively in conversation on the Twitter hardly make a dent in HHN's attendance, even if each of those people (I'll round up to 550) convince 4 people not to go. That's still less than 3,000 people, and maybe 15% of how many people are there on a casual night out of 20+ nights. [Whom of which will surely just be replaced times two with the amount of new Stranger Things fans anyway]. And if half of the HHN megafans do go and each post on Yelp their bad reviews, that's 225 reviews, and there's already 800 reviews on there as it is [again, not counting the surge of another 100 or so Stranger Things fans leaving their rave reviews], out of 1000+ reviews for an event that has almost 4 stars will maybe only lower it to 3 stars, which Haunted Hay Ride, Knotts Scary Farm and Queen Mary already have, with Six Flags Fright Fest a bit behind with 2 and a half stars. They're all doing fine and at any time could have a surge in quality that boost interest and make them the top after 2 or so good years (KSF supposedly has done that according to many of y'all, yet the bad reviews remain and their attendance still doesn't reign supreme). So bad year or not, even if HHN has 2-3 bad years in a row, they're not really going anywhere, because they're pretty much doing the best on the West Coast as far as theme park Haunts go. I just find it weird when there's talk about these maze selections or even the black walls being the death of HHN. I'd say there needs to be at least 3-5 REALLY bad years before an event gets so bad that it becomes a ghost town again. 2017's mazes (as much as I even didn't like them) are still considered top tier premium quality mazes. KSF had nearly a decade of awfulness and they're kicking around just fine. Hyperbole won't convince Murdy or the execs on what needs to be fixed. I know I wouldn't listen to someone telling me The First Purge is the death of HHN when the movie is tracking just as good as their previous movies in reviews and box office, already made it's budget back, and the TV show will probably be a ratings hit with all that synergy. Or that it's repetitive nature at the event will hurt it's stance (either the property and/or HHN itself), when The Walking Dead is now a permanent fixture for almost a decade with little to no complaints from the masses.

Reactions: NuteGunrayWasFramed
Here’s the thing: In Murdy’s eyes, everyone who steps foot into the event, especially the GP, are considered the “fans”. The only thing is, they survey a lot of people that have no idea what they want. You have to take into account people who may have gone for their first time and only did one or two houses, people who only go for the rides, people that are scaredy cats and are only brought along by somebody that does one maze and all rides, and people that go that don’t care and going just because. There are SO many people like this that go.

When those kind of people get surveyed (and to be fair, I’m sure there are a few actual fans that would want to see a Purge maze), they request stuff that we’ve seen a million times like TWD, Purge, Insidious, or Freddy and Jason because they haven’t seen it. What’s annoying is that they listen to them just like DC will announce twenty movies on the fly. “Oh, you want to see a Joker movie? Here’s two with the Joker being played by two different actors! Everyone loves the Joker!”

Yes, those people are where the $$$$$ come from, but a lot of those people don’t even bother to see those mazes when they are actually there or don’t care enough to make an effort to go again the next year! There is an understandable level of trying to appeal to everybody and the hardcore fans are not the only source of profit here. At the same time, the true fans can articulate what the GP really wants and know the flaws of the event well. We’re the canaries if the coal mine. If they continue like this, bad word if mouth gets out and they won’t be nearly as successful as they could be.

Last year had a good amount of people show up but not nearly as many. That’s how powerful word of mouth is. So they should let the true fans have some say in how to approach the event.

The thought that the 400 to 500 people that are hardcore fans are the "bread and butter" of HHN is laughably ridiculous and devoid of general business knowledge, especially regarding theme parks.
Do we have an effect via word-of-mouth? Sure. But we do not single-handedly drive sales of profits for HHN or Universal. You referring to the "GP" in and of itself disregards all of that.

Reactions: Legacy and cdogsumo
Hey on the bright side, I’m thinking the First Purge can’t possibly be as bad Ash vs. Evil Dead was last year (even though I think the series is brilliant)

Reactions: marip123
I was watching some of the Sinister tapes the other day and came across a scene that caught my attention. Specifically the Christmas Morning tape featured in Sinister 2 I believe. We've all seen the Sinister wall being put in FDTD/Blumhouse 2 so if that goes unchanged this might help us out. giWPDQSL.jpg
Back in early December this was tweeted, of course everyone thought it was The Thing (I did too) but sadly that wasn't the case. You can argue that it's Stranger Things with the Upside Down but that's ash and doesn't really cover most of the scenes.

This scene comes to mind with this tweet, it'd make perfect sense. If this were to be the case then I would assume that we'd be able to experience some of the tapes featured in the first and second film depending on how much representation they get.

The thought that the 400 to 500 people that are hardcore fans are the "bread and butter" of HHN is laughably ridiculous and devoid of general business knowledge, especially regarding theme parks.
Do we have an effect via word-of-mouth? Sure. But we do not single-handedly drive sales of profits for HHN or Universal. You referring to the "GP" in and of itself disregards all of that.

Agree. At the end of the day, the GP wants to see Purge, Insidious and the more classic modern slashers like Freddy, Michael, etc. It was a miracle that Trick r Treat and Clowns from Outer Space (Orlando) were approved and allowed to be introduced to the event. The people responsible for the event know what they are doing and will try to mix in what the GP and fans want.

Agree. At the end of the day, the GP wants to see Purge, Insidious and the more classic modern slashers like Freddy, Michael, etc. It was a miracle that Trick r Treat and Clowns from Outer Space (Orlando) were approved and allowed to be introduced to the event. The people responsible for the event know what they are doing and will try to mix in what the GP and fans want.
It's a balancing act. You give the GP Stranger Things and then you can give the hard core fans Trick r Treat.

It's too bad that the maze based on the new Halloween movie isn't gonna come to HHN this year. I guess the audience isn't really ready for it yet until sometime after the movie come out, where people might be more familiar with it.

Last edited:
It's too bad that the maze based on the new Halloween movie isn't gonna come to HHN this year. I guess the audience isn't really ready for it yet until sometime after the movie come out, where people might be more familiar with it.

People ARE already familiar with Halloween though. Literally every year it's requested by fans Myers comes back.

Ima drop a bombshell here but I have heard that Carpenter/ the producers felt the maze revealed too much, and it was either another "trailer" house or no house, I guess Murdy didnt have enough material for a trailer house so it came down to #4

Again, this is just the word on the street.

I think we also should factor that the black wallz may seem lazy (they are), however, there's a CRAP TON of people afraid of the DARK -- I'm sure more than those afraid of clowns or any other phobia. And those scenes work like magic for newcomers. Taking newbies through those scenes and the dangling threads start touching them, they start screaming their faces off and running out of the rooms. It's the easiest, cheapest, and laziest but most effective scare. It's one of the many reasons when I ask newbs what their fav mazes were, they're on complete polar opposites of what my list is. Mainly because I look at a lot of the mazes from a design point, but they're simply just going off if they were scared or not based on their personal fears -- and very commonly, fear of the dark is numero uno. So I think it's possible these black wallz may actually be here to stay and may even get a lot of people talking about how scary and dark the mazes are.

God I hope not, but this is a major possibility.

I think we also should factor that the black wallz may seem lazy (they are), however, there's a CRAP TON of people afraid of the DARK -- I'm sure more than those afraid of clowns or any other phobia. And those scenes work like magic for newcomers. Taking newbies through those scenes and the dangling threads start touching them, they start screaming their faces off and running out of the rooms. It's the easiest, cheapest, and laziest but most effective scare. It's one of the many reasons when I ask newbs what their fav mazes were, they're on complete polar opposites of what my list is. Mainly because I look at a lot of the mazes from a design point, but they're simply just going off if they were scared or not based on their personal fears -- and very commonly, fear of the dark is numero uno. So I think it's possible these black wallz may actually be here to stay and may even get a lot of people talking about how scary and dark the mazes are.

Interesting point of view.

I like the cut of your jib sir.

That's why having one of those mazes, using a property that lends itself to surreal or literal darkness, is a good idea in any particular event year. It worked wonders for The Exorcist in 2016 and was actually pretty effective for the Sinister segment in 2017.

The problem is when the black walls take over all the mazes, not as a deliberate design choice, but as a clear budget cut or cop-out. Outside of Sinister, that's more or less what happened last year - and nobody should be defending it.

That's why having one of those mazes, using a property that lends itself to surreal or literal darkness, is a good idea in any particular event year. It worked wonders for The Exorcist in 2016 and was actually pretty effective for the Sinister segment in 2017.

The problem is when the black walls take over all the mazes, not as a deliberate design choice, but as a clear budget cut or cop-out. Outside of Sinister, that's more or less what happened last year - and nobody should be defending it.
THIS. Believe it or not, despite the fact I have ranted and raved about the black walls, I do think they can be useful in its proper context like the Exorcist. Do I feel like they could’ve done more with that property? Judging by Orlando’s walkthrough, I think a little creative liberty would have helped. But all of the action took place in one room, which gave more acceptance for the black wallz as it worked for you to feel demon possessed.

Like Fallow said, black walls are only acceptable for that approach. When you have black walls in the Shinning and AvED, IPs where people expect proper set design, it’s lazy and uncreative. Black walls should not be used as transitions or cop-outs.

Reactions: cdogsumo
Honestly... the more I think about this potential lineup the more curious I am about it. It really reminds me of 2014 since there’s a few dream properties, and one maze that barely anyone wants but could still end up being a sleeper hit forced by corporate(Dracula Untold in 2014, The First Purge in 2018). Hopefully @DTH ‘s even year theory still applies since this year does have a lot more potential than last year’s did

Last edited:
Reactions: DTH and cdogsumo
I can’t wait for the Blumhouse 2.0 featuring Unfriended, Paranormal Activity, and the Tooth Fairy it’s gonna be lit.

But for real: what is the best case scenario with Blumhouse 2.0?

The Gift, Get Out, & The Visit? Honestly I’ll take one of the above...or even Split. Just ONE GOOD ONE please.

Last year the only two mazes I really noticed the black walls (I know they were on all the mazes but only two stood out for me) Insidious and Ash Vs The Evil Dead. Insidious I liked them as it gave the feel of walking through the further, and Ash Vs The Evil Dead was so bad they could have painted trees and or decorated every wall and it still would have been awful.

Again I haven't been going as many years as some of you. In fact it was because of most of you mentioning black walls that I even looked for them. in 2016, my first year at HHN since 2000, I only noticed them in The Exorcist and thought they were a creative decision.

Now having seen a promo video of Orlando's Exorcist I do agree it loooked better.

Now HOB2. I doubt The Gift would make it. I would like to see Get Out but I doubt that as well. I am really afraid it will be Truth or Dare and two others. I don't like the mash up maze concept and there isn't enough time to flesh out the maze.

It really reminds me of 2014 since there’s a few dream properties, and one maze that barely anyone wants but could still end up being a sleeper hit forced by corporate(Dracula Untold in 2014, The First Purge in 2018).

I wasn't around the board for Krampus, can someone tell me what the reaction was for that?

Reactions: cdogsumo