Ghostbusters | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Ghostbusters

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, this has been a terrible summer for movies. Nemo has made huge bank and Pets will turn a nice profit too, though.

4 of the top 5 highest grossing movies of the year so far were released between Jan-March. That's very rare.
Getting back like it was in the movie business before the advent of the summer blockbusters.

Getting back like it was in the movie business before the advent of the summer blockbusters.
And the movie that started the summer blockbuster trend?
latest

Reactions: Mad Dog
I haven't watched it, but the fact that it was a reboot and not an homage to the original instead was what turned me off to the idea. Plus I'm not against females being the cast but I'm not really a fan of any of those actresses.

I think it's more a case of the chickens coming home to roost as far as the gap narrowing between the home and the theater experiences that, unless it's truly massive like a Civil War, many people are willing to just wait until they can watch it at home.

The above of course referring to so many movies underperforming. It's been a trend this decade

I haven't seen it and probably will wait until it hits Netflix, but I think had the film featured the original cast reprising their characters in a torch-passing role for the new females like Force Awakens, it would have turned out much better.

Reactions: captainmoch
Just saw it an loved it! Really well cast and well done overall. And there were lots of people in the theater too...

Wow I just checked in to see how this movie was doing and it doesn't really look good. It's going into it's 3rd weekend and hasn't even made back it's production budget let alone it's marketing budget. I never expected this movie to do well but I thought it would at least break even, looks like it could very well work out as a loss. I wasn't a fan of this reboot concept but I did like a lot of the other stuff that was being planned the animated series, additional alternate movies, Ghost Corps., etc. I really hope this movie isn't the only thing we end up getting, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony holds this up as the only example of the current popularity of the Ghostbusters franchise.

It's finally crossing $100 million today. Loved this movie and hoping it does gangbusters business overseas so that hopefully we still get a sequel.

Reactions: Mr. EPCOT
Paul Feig on Making His Ghostbusters Reboot -- Vulture
As opening day approaches, Feig can’t help but think about the stakes of making a $150 million movie. “A movie like this has to at least get to like $500 million worldwide, and that’s probably low,” he says. “But the thing I care about most is the industry looking for an excuse to say, ‘See, a tentpole can’t be carried by female leads’ ” — three of whom are over 40. “I cashed in all my chips,” he says. “I had to use every chip to make this happen. And if this doesn’t work, I will probably have to go back to movie jail.”

Why was everyone against this movie? There have been reboots in the past. Me personally I only see movies in the theaters for my kids. I am more comfortable at home watching movies. Maybe more people are starting to think like me? I mean Dory and Pets have dominated this summer.

Reactions: RevFreako
I was kinda rooting on this to have a sequel... it's ridiculous that a series that really has a lot of potential only has 3 movies with the exact same plot. Oh well... maybe in another 30 years.

Budget never should have been as high as it was. Regardless of controversy, there is a reason why there are so few other high budget comedies made in current Hollywood. If Deadpool could be made for only $58 million (almost a THIRD of Ghostbusters), this could have as well. The producers were idiots from the get go, even aside from the casting backlash.

If I were in charge...

I'd drop Feig and McCarthy. Wiig is expendable but meh. Keep the rest of the cast and have Hemsworth be a Ghostbuster officially. Add 2 more to the team, male and female and maybe expand on the whole "Ghost Adventures" type show they made light of for 2 seconds in the film and go from there. People like the paranormal, they like comedy. It's there, they just had a lot of missteps with this one.