General Movies & TV Thread | Page 35 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I hope this helps keep Star Wars on the better path it's been on

He will now be more involved in the starting process of many of the shows and movies and while he is not perfect, he understands the lore his only real misstep was Bobe Fett show....and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that many of the issues in that show were forced onto them....but from now on Dave will get all the love and hate for whatever comes out

RIP Star Wars. Nothing but callbacks to cartoon shows from here on in.
Whats wrong with the cartoons?

Tales of the Jedi, Rebels and Clone Wars F...ing rule

Also only Callbacks? Baylon and Shin were two of the most interesting part of the last show...and were brand new characters and the fans seemed to love them

Also Mando and grugo.....were brand new and the first season of the show...had little to no call backs.

Whats wrong with the cartoons?

Tales of the Jedi, Rebels and Clone Wars F...ing rule

Also only Callbacks? Baylon and Shin were two of the most interesting part of the last show...and were brand new characters and the fans seemed to love them

Also Mando and grugo.....were brand new and the first season of the show...had little to no call backs.
I do t want to rain on your parade, so I’m glad you enjoy the cartoons. I think they’re generally pretty childish storytelling to hang a blockbuster franchise on.

As for your other points, we didn’t watch Ahsoka as a household because my wife has no earthly clue who she or the other characters is and she fell off after one episode. I watched out of a misplaced sense of obligation, and I thought the show was only saved from being the worst D+ SW show because Kenobi was such an abject train wreck.

And yes, Mando and Grogu in the first season were great!

And then the other two seasons happened

I do t want to rain on your parade, so I’m glad you enjoy the cartoons. I think they’re generally pretty childish storytelling to hang a blockbuster franchise on.

As for your other points, we didn’t watch Ahsoka as a household because my wife has no earthly clue who she or the other characters is and she fell off after one episode. I watched out of a misplaced sense of obligation, and I thought the show was only saved from being the worst D+ SW show because Kenobi was such an abject train wreck.

And yes, Mando and Grogu in the first season were great!

And then the other two seasons happened
Watch The Dooku stuff on Tales of the Jedi and tell me it's Childish...the Clone Wars shows mental illness and War

To each their own but not everything can be Andor....Andor is amazing but people don't want that and even if I don't love Bad Batch it also gets enough views for it's cost to work better then the live action stuff as well

Ahsoka is in many forms of media and will be in a film, it sucks for fans who don't care for other content or cartoons but that's been Star Wars now for yearsssssss and most fans push people to watch the animated shows because most episodes are not for kids.

Ahsokastarted off slow but by the end was pretty much just Star Wars but as a TV show....so sorry to hear your not excited but besides Obi Wan and Boba Fett...everything Dave has touched is better then the Sequels and so rather him have more power then who ever was running the ship during the sequels times

I think it's been important for Lucasfilm to finally get a CCO--that way Kathleen can handle other elements that she shines much more promimently at. Same for Filoni; especially with the bigger picture as opposed to piece/piece bits.

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky Planet
Are you thinking Star Wars can actually get worse than Rise of Skywalker?
Someone clearly didn't watch Book of Boba Fett.... As bad as TROS is, it at least has a decent amount of enjoyable moments. It even has some of my all-time favorite Star Wars moments (everything with Ben Solo, Rey-Finn-Poe scenes, etc.) honestly. But with BOBF, it's a completely bland and boring mess outside of 2 great/good episodes (both of which weren't even really connected to the show but rather were just Mandalorian season 2.5 episodes) that honestly in the end went nowhere. Not to downplay how bad TRoS is either, but even at its worse at the very least it was still entertaining?

Reactions: Jake S
Someone clearly didn't watch Book of Boba Fett.... As bad as TROS is, it at least has a decent amount of enjoyable moments. It even has some of my all-time favorite Star Wars moments (everything with Ben Solo, Rey-Finn-Poe scenes, etc.) honestly. But with BOBF, it's a completely bland and boring mess outside of 2 great/good episodes (both of which weren't even really connected to the show but rather were just Mandalorian season 2.5 episodes) that honestly in the end went nowhere. Not to downplay how bad TRoS is either, but even at its worse at the very least it was still entertaining?
One bad project isn't enough to make me dislike Dave

Clone Wars, Revels, Tales of the Jedi all rock. Bad Batch is good with some really great episodes but many that are also just fine

Mando is the only relevant thing from Star Wars since Disney bought it that both made bank and fans and general audiences all love and Grogu coming back in season 3....I bet was not on Dave that feels like a person on top of him that is scared to do anything interesting

(also I love Rogue One and Andor but those are just Adult Disney and much harder to sell, and Disney is not the company if you want art....they want whatever makes them money)

I honestly just feel bad for the fans who don't like Dave because....he has been the future for a while now and maybe if the Sequels were planned out they would have more room toe argue but.....I just wish the sequels didn't exist. Boba Fett and Obi Wan might suck but they can be ignored....Disney screwed the Sequels and there is little room to make them interesting, unlike the Clone Wars which had all these planets, new aliens and jedi to follow .

The Sequels.....could have been interesting if Rey died and Kylo was on the run but no they went with a boring generic ending and now we are just back to where the OG movies ended but with characters most people don't care about

Just had to peek my head in with a review of Saltburn.

IMG_3296.jpeg

Saltburn is a love story (or a story about love). Set in 2006/2007 (for whatever odd reason), Saltburn follows Oliver Quick (Barry Keoghan), a “poor” student at Oxford. When he crosses paths with the rich and beautiful Felix Catton (Jacob Elordi), Oliver finds himself instantly obsessed. He wants to be Felix and he wants to be with Felix, an unhealthy mixture if there ever was one.

Oliver gets his chance when he assists Felix with bicycle troubles, inevitably leading to the two becoming best friends. They become so close, that when tragedy strikes Oliver’s family, Felix invites him to stay at his family’s posh estate of Saltburn. Let the depravity and bacchanalia begin!

Saltburn is easily the weirdest and most aggressively weird movie of 2023. Emerald Fennell writes and directs, and continues to push boundaries. Expect the unexpected. Saltburn does not follow the typical three-act structure. It just goes and goes and goes. It’s easily the longest two hours I’ve ever sat through (it feels more like 3 hours)…but I was never bored. The film is also aided by a killer soundtrack (Time To Pretend by MGMT and Murder On The Dancefloor by Sophie Ellis-Bextor?! YES PLEASE!!!).

Is Saltburn a scathing satire about the wealthy? Is it a commentary about unhealthy, all-consuming obsession and desire? Is it a character study? Is it about none of these things? All of these things? Watch and find out!

Saltburn is impossible to predict and treads a weaving, twisted, windy path. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself lost in the world of Saltburn, this is by design. Saltburn is a thrilling, unpredictable, depraved, wild ride (it also features the best dance scene of the year). Fasten your seat belts and hold on!

4.5 Stars

Are you thinking Star Wars can actually get worse than Rise of Skywalker? I'm just glad they now have a Chief Creative Officer and maybe he can enforce a story arc, because whatever they were doing with the last trilogy wasn't good.
I mean, basically on everything they’ve released for D+ outside of Andor and Mando S1 *is as bad* as TROS for my money.

Reactions: Jake S
Extremely odd with probably some really juicy behind the scenes drama. Originally set for release on December 1, The Bikeriders was pulled from Disney’s calendar a few weeks ago. Now, Disney isn’t releasing the film at all.

The film’s financial backer New Regency was the one to pull it from the release calendar and they are shopping it to other studios. I’d love to know what happened here because this is an Austin Butler/Tom Hardy starrer that has been talked about as a potential Best Picture contender and a shot for Butler to get another Best Actor nom.

Doctor Who has returned--and it is a really fun and exciting return. RTD's writing shines with Who and Noble's chemistry paying off in strides (with perhaps some of the best LGBTQ+ representation on Disney+ right now). Can't wait for the following two specials to come.

Reactions: Grabnar
Honestly found the first 60th special for Doctor Who kinda meh. Some scenes definitely shined, but writing and acting felt clunky at times and the "fix" for the Doctor Donna issue was kinda unsatisfying? I'm hopeful it will improve but kinda a rough episode for what's supposed to be a "return to form" imo

Reactions: Jamesh22
Bored and in a Christmas mood, watched The Naughty Nine on Disney+. Turned out to be quite fun, a cute G-rated mash-up of Oceans 11 and Elf. Low-budget made-for-TV movie but a clever conceit, the lead kids are charismatic, and it held two adults' attention (and got some genuine laughs out of us) for its quick 90-minute run. A nice nod to the old school live-action family comedies Disney used to make. Definitely something you can watch with your kids, or if you just want something new fun and holiday-themed.

Reactions: Nick