Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'd think Dudley would go first since Popeye is more popular and already has a cohesive mini-land.

If you bulldoze Dudley, Comic Strip Lane, the carnival games and the TL theater area, there's probably room for 2-3 decent-sized attractions and 1-2 smaller additions.

I'd guess the phases would be:
Phase 1 - SLoP E-ticket and Sing mini-show in TL theater area
Phase 2 - revamp of Comic Strip Lane
Phase 3 - Dudley bulldozed for family dark ride and family coaster (or one D/E and 1-2 smaller attractions)
Phase 4 - whatever happens for Popeye (update or retheme)

Popeye is just too much of a crowd pleaser to close down for 9+ months IMO and it's the one water ride at IOA that doesn't need any drastic changes.

JPRA needs some major overhauling and Dudley takes up valuable real estate (could make a dark ride or family coaster work in its plot) in a land without relevance while Popeye's space is pretty much limited to rapids ride due to its proximity to the IOA lagoon.

Once all of TL is updated or fixed, I could see a Popeye revamp/retheme, but currently, it's fine as it is.
I'd think Dudley would go first since Popeye is more popular and already has a cohesive mini-land.

If you bulldoze Dudley, Comic Strip Lane, the carnival games and the TL theater area, there's probably room for 2-3 decent-sized attractions and 1-2 smaller additions.

Phase 3 - Dudley bulldozed for family dark ride and family coaster (or one D/E and 1-2 smaller attractions)

Popeye is just too much of a crowd pleaser to close down for 9+ months IMO and it's the one water ride at IOA that doesn't need any drastic changes.

JPRA needs some major overhauling and Dudley takes up valuable real estate (could make a dark ride or family coaster work in its plot) in a land without relevance while Popeye's space is pretty much limited to rapids ride due to its proximity to the IOA lagoon.

Once all of TL is updated or fixed, I could see a Popeye revamp/retheme, but currently, it's fine as it is.
I thought Dudley was more popular, I know it has low capacity but it always looks like their is more people in line than Popeye.

I thought Dudley was more popular, I know it has low capacity but it always looks like their is more people in line than Popeye.

it is really popular. I think it's because although you get soaked, you can probably dry up pretty easy after Dudley. You get drenched on Popeye. The only time I've gotten drenched on Dudley was that one time where the waterfall on the lift malfunctioned, and rained down on the boat. Usually you can escape getting soaked, but not drenched.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn

Too bad I read that this movie was canceled :(

When it comes to JPRA the answer is simple. Look no further than King Kong himself.

Why every four boats? That wasn't the original design was it?
I believe the original intent was every boat, but I'm guessing it's the reset time needed that means it's every few boats instead. I watched it for a while in the spring right after the rehab and it looks like there are two types of explosions. One is the original full on all the boards jump and drop back down version and the other is the roof pops up and the chimney spins.

I'd guess the effects are pneumatic and it seems like they need to build up air pressure fro each explosion. Sometimes the explosions seem to be bigger than others, like the air pressure has't fully built up. I'd guess they either have a problem with the compressor not being able to keep up or the lines aren't carrying enough air for every boat to trigger the effect.

Reactions: Mike S
The low capacity balances it out. Dudley is the easier of the two to bulldoze, too, if they want to start from scratch with Toon Lagoon.

Too bad I read that this movie was canceled :(

Glad that I'm not the only one that is still disappointed with the cancellation of that Popeye film..

Edit: Seems like the Popeye film actually got a writer earlier in the year..

If there's an attraction that I hope stays as is (Refurbish it even!) at TL, it's Popeye.

Last edited:
If Universal decided to keep only one water ride in the area Dudley has an advantage because they own that property. Every other advantage goes to Popeye.

Popeyes has greater capacity. It is easier to get in and out of the ride vehicles. It would be much harder to tear down. Popeye actually sells merchandise. Popeye could easily absorb the capacity loss of Dudley.

I know multiple people who will not ride Dudley due to the difficulty getting in and fitting in the vehicle. They will all ride Popeye.

If Universal decided to keep only one water ride in the area Dudley has an advantage because they own that property. Every other advantage goes to Popeye.

Popeyes has greater capacity. It is easier to get in and out of the ride vehicles. It would be much harder to tear down. Popeye actually sells merchandise. Popeye could easily absorb the capacity loss of Dudley.

I know multiple people who will not ride Dudley due to the difficulty getting in and fitting in the vehicle. They will all ride Popeye.
Dudley also takes up a lot of space for a low-capacity E-ticket that only draws riders from March-August. Popeye is right next to the lagoon and is a people-eater, so a retheme is far more likely than a total replacement. Where Dudley is, you could fit an E-ticket family coaster and some sort of C-ticket/D-ticket dark ride or stage show.

Bulldozing Dudley and adding 2 new major high-capacity attractions could double the overall capacity for that section of Toon Lagoon. And that doesn't even include redoing the TL theater area for SLoP, which would likely lead to a tripling of TL's overall capacity.

I believe the original intent was every boat, but I'm guessing it's the reset time needed that means it's every few boats instead. I watched it for a while in the spring right after the rehab and it looks like there are two types of explosions. One is the original full on all the boards jump and drop back down version and the other is the roof pops up and the chimney spins.

I'd guess the effects are pneumatic and it seems like they need to build up air pressure fro each explosion. Sometimes the explosions seem to be bigger than others, like the air pressure has't fully built up. I'd guess they either have a problem with the compressor not being able to keep up or the lines aren't carrying enough air for every boat to trigger the effect.

Does anyone have a video of this? Not sure what's supposed to happen, I've never seen it.

Man this thread is all over the place. I would think that whatever replaces Toon will be an IP universal owns. They have enough properties that are very popular I see no reason why they would spend extra money building an IP they don't own. Plus they would make more on Merch if they own the IP.

I think Slop goes in the theater and the rest is re-themed with the eventual replacement on Dudley.

Man this thread is all over the place. I would think that whatever replaces Toon will be an IP universal owns. They have enough properties that are very popular I see no reason why they would spend extra money building an IP they don't own. Plus they would make more on Merch if they own the IP.

I think Slop goes in the theater and the rest is re-themed with the eventual replacement on Dudley.
:agree:

Why pay 3.8b for DreamWorks when you already have your own animation studio? It was done in large part for the IPs. Now Universal will use them in the parks and save all those licensing fees.