Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure | Page 44 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Do you want River Adventure to get the Hollywood treatment or stay JP?

• Keep it JP

Votes: 108 37.2%
  • Bring on the iRex

Votes: 182 62.8%

• Total voters
Universal has capacity issues, especially when it's busy. Bottom line, their overall park capacity isn't much more than it was when they had half the attendance they now have. WDW has the same issue. It's not really conducive to customer satisfaction if they shut attractions down for negative effects that are worrisome, but not crucial. In a perfect world, both WDW and Universal would have been more pro active with their maintenance, but unfortunately both park systems have been short sighted, probably due to not wanting to spend the necessary money towards 'full' refurbishment, and wanting to impress investors and top executives with glowing quarterly reports.

Universal has capacity issues, especially when it's busy. Bottom line, their overall park capacity isn't much more than it was when they had half the attendance they now have. WDW has the same issue. It's not really conducive to customer satisfaction if they shut attractions down for negative effects that are worrisome, but not crucial. In a perfect world, both WDW and Universal would have been more pro active with their maintenance, but unfortunately both park systems have been short sighted, probably due to not wanting to spend the necessary money towards 'full' refurbishment, and wanting to impress investors and top executives with glowing quarterly reports.
It's not like Universal has 4 massive empty theaters capable of holding 1K+ park guests a show available for use to immediately increase park capacity.

It's not like Universal has 4 massive empty theaters capable of holding 1K+ park guests a show available for use to immediately increase park capacity.
Yes, they have severely been lacking in that regard. That would help fix capacity, but once again, those glowing quarterly reports take precedence. And, if they help capacity, they'd have trouble getting $150 to $250 for Express Passes, or filling those expensive Deluxe hotels (Unlimited Express Pass). Wonder if that's all connected ;) :lmao:...WDW guilty too......Universal & WDW don't want to see short stand by lines. They can't upsell, if there's no wait......Like always, the guests suffer.

Last edited:
I can live with JP running with a dino or two down, except for the finale. I don't really think they'll ever get to the stage when everything runs well for a long period of time. They probably needed to replace the dinos, not just the skins, intermitted, over the years, but they chose not to spend that preventative maintenance, and now time is catching up. I love the attraction, so I'd rather see it run in some form than torn down and replaced with an inferior attraction.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Especially compared to the Raptor Encounter puppet or the figures in the VC queue...yeah, those JPRA raptors look real off-model.

It's like comparing Florida's Donkey puppet to Hollywood's. Hopefully we get something more professional and high budget looking here soon.

I would love to see them replace the raptor animatronics with ones similar to Hollywood or the Velocicoaster queue - but I'm not sure they'd bother with how the raptors are kind of shrouded by darkness.

I would love to see them replace the raptor animatronics with ones similar to Hollywood or the Velocicoaster queue - but I'm not sure they'd bother with how the raptors are kind of shrouded by darkness.
They wouldn't be shrouded in darkness if they were proud of how they looked. This ride needs a complete overhaul. Cant wait to see what Japan does, because whatever that is, we will probably want it.

You guys know those animatronics will eventually will be replaced right?

We just have to be a little more patient until they approve a big budget for this ride to be overhauled.

Japan getting new boats is a good sign they are willing to invest into this property. The Mummy got a lot of love recently and I’m sure this is next.

I still love the ride and really do like the Park theming but I would love the World rebranding to tie together the area more (although it would just leave Camp Jurassic as the Park theme for the area). It'll probably come after whatever they're doing with Pteranodon Flyers (do we have any clue if they're replacing this ride or just repairing it?) and hopefully after The Lost Continent is addressed.

We just have to be a little more patient until they approve a big budget for this ride to be overhauled.
Hopefully soon.... but we've been waiting for quite a while now. It's been half a decade since the JW USH version debuted while Orlando's is sitting ready to be overhauled. Yes we got VelociCoaster, but it's time to put some love back into the original JP attraction.

I can justify missing animatronics, but there are also several moments in the ride that are just poor show:
  • The obvious plants in pots "trying" to disguise the stegosaurus
  • Mechanics for the Raptors rustling in the bush effect being obvious/not hidden
  • Broken/weared skins on dinos

Hopefully soon.... but we've been waiting for quite a while now. It's been half a decade since the JW USH version debuted while Orlando's is sitting ready to be overhauled. Yes we got VelociCoaster, but it's time to put some love back into the original JP attraction.

I can justify missing animatronics, but there are also several moments in the ride that are just poor show:
  • The obvious plants in pots "trying" to disguise the stegosaurus
  • Mechanics for the Raptors rustling in the bush effect being obvious/not hidden
  • Broken/weared skins on dinos
The door not opening anymore is one of my biggest disappointments in the ride. It takes away a lot of life for me.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95

Japan getting new boats is a good sign they are willing to invest into this property. The Mummy got a lot of love recently and I’m sure this is next.
Eehh, we don't know that. And define "eventually" here. Cat in the Hat has had busted, melty-looking animatronics since forever and that's an outside IP with brand integrity concerns in play. There are a lot of projects around the resort coming up, and especially with VC relatively recently opened and Pteranodon having issues, it might be a lot longer before River Adventure sees some desperately needed TLC.

Maybe they do fast-track Jurassic World Adventure or a massive Mummy/ET-style overhaul to open next year or something. I would love that! Unfortunately, I just don't think there is any reason to expect that kinda thing anytime soon.

Eehh, we don't know that. And define "eventually" here. Cat in the Hat has had busted, melty-looking animatronics since forever and that's an outside IP with brand integrity concerns in play. There are a lot of projects around the resort coming up, and especially with VC relatively recently opened and Pteranodon having issues, it might be a lot longer before River Adventure sees some desperately needed TLC.

Maybe they do fast-track Jurassic World Adventure or a massive Mummy/ET-style overhaul to open next year or something. I would love that! Unfortunately, I just don't think there is any reason to expect that kinda thing anytime soon.
I'm happy with how Universal is starting to give rides proper multi-week refurbishments as of late (E.T. currently, MIB later this year), so interested in seeing if something happens next year prior to Epic. An update to JPRA will give IOA a nice breathe of fresh air in between major projects and something to "counter" Epic (not that it needs it).

I had a season pass back in 2022 and I don't recall it ever working back then; it didn't work when I went two weeks ago, either.
You must have really bad luck lol