Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 97 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about an interactive hedge maze - within a building to maintain ambiance and lighting - akin to the one from Goblet of Fire and it has the fighting elements of that dungeon crawl thing Universal opened in Japan?

You don't have any freaking idea how well it would translate in the long run, the issue would be size to fit large numbers of people at a time and providing something for those without wands to participate. A large mix of live actors, screens, practical sets, and AAs all in one.

Reactions: Mike S
How about an interactive hedge maze - within a building to maintain ambiance and lighting - akin to the one from Goblet of Fire and it has the fighting elements of that dungeon crawl thing Universal opened in Japan?

I love a good walk-through, and now that I think about this, I believe it could be a nifty attraction, especially if they bring in some more elements of the maze from the GOBLET OF FIRE novel, which was quite a bit more involved than the mostly generic version from the movie.

This FF expansion could include a no height restricted E ticket attraction w/ a bunch of detail that would be like a spiderman ride through the forest w/ wands. And the thrilling D ticket attarction could be a better version of mummy/ Gringotts. A family ride is nice but if universal doesn't add an attraction that gives me some airtime or butterflies in my stomach I'm boycotting.

This FF expansion could include a no height restricted E ticket attraction w/ a bunch of detail that would be like a spiderman ride through the forest w/ wands. And the thrilling D ticket attarction could be a better version of mummy/ Gringotts. A family ride is nice but if universal doesn't add an attraction that gives me some airtime or butterflies in my stomach I'm boycotting.

:what:

Reactions: Joel

In Diagon, Gringotts (outside of Hogwarts Express), is the main E-Ticket. Saying that you want a D-Ticket version of that, I would even argue; is a downgrade instead of an upgrade to it.

I have to think, the most likely to win out is something that everyone can go on, but it's not dedicated to just kid's.

I think, if they play smart; a Next-Gen dark ride where it's guests going in the Ford Angelia's and encountering many of the creatures; and even Dementors and Death Eater's.

When Universal thinks family, they don't generally include toddlers with the term. so their Family oriented rides will usually have a little more thrill than Disneys. Gringott's didn't have the extreme thrills that many expected because Universal wanted it to appeal to a Family demographic. But it's still pretty thrills oriented. I don' think Universal especially wants the stroller crowd. So, if they put a family attraction in, it will still have some thrill attached to it.

As has been said before, "family" doesn't automatically equal "kiddie." I have every confidence that - if they wanted - Universal could build a ride that everyone from 5 on up could get something out of. A truly all (or most) ages ride doesn't have to be a nothing attraction. In fact, some of the greatest rides ever built would fit the description of being "all ages" (Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Spaceship Earth, Horizons, etc.).

And kids aren't averse to attractions with a little bit of edge, either; just to use Universal for an example, as a 6 year old I loved Kongfrontation, Jaws, Earthquake, Hitchcock, and the Makeup Show just as much as the attractions that were more explicitly targeted at my age bracket, like Ghostbusters, Hanna-Barbera, and E.T.

That's all my long-winded way of saying that I'm sure Universal could build a Dragon Challenge replacement that could accommodate most age groups and still be fully satisfying as a fun experience.

As has been said before, "family" doesn't automatically equal "kiddie." I have every confidence that - if they wanted - Universal could build a ride that everyone from 5 on up could get something out of. A truly all (or most) ages ride doesn't have to be a nothing attraction. In fact, some of the greatest rides ever built would fit the description of being "all ages" (Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Spaceship Earth, Horizons, etc.).

And kids aren't averse to attractions with a little bit of edge, either; just to use Universal for an example, as a 6 year old I loved Kongfrontation, Jaws, Earthquake, Hitchcock, and the Makeup Show just as much as the attractions that were more explicitly targeted at my age bracket, like Ghostbusters, Hanna-Barbera, and E.T.

That's all my long-winded way of saying that I'm sure Universal could build a Dragon Challenge replacement that could accommodate most age groups and still be fully satisfying as a fun experience.
Agreed. Kong does that for one. IOA could use another along that thrill level, but without screens.

Agreed. Kong does that for one. IOA could use another along that thrill level, but without screens.

A Forbidden Forest dark ride, where we encounter various magical - and maybe frightening! - creatures in an eerie and mysterious forest setting, would do the trick nicely.

ETA: Provided Universal doesn't tread the exact same ground as the similar sections of Forbidden Journey. No spiders, or any other creatures already represented in there.

A Forbidden Forest dark ride, where we encounter various magical - and maybe frightening! - creatures in an eerie and mysterious forest setting, would do the trick nicely.

ETA: Provided Universal doesn't tread the exact same ground as the similar sections of Forbidden Journey. No spiders, or any other creatures already represented in there.
Oh no, we need lots and lots and lots of SPIDERS . :lol:

Now this might not mean much to those who didn't read the books, but a dark ride beginning in the house elves kitchen below the great dining hall as they all work preparing a banquet and then ending in the hall with all the food appearing etc. could be visually enchanting.

The only negative aspect I have with this, is that what you've described is pretty much the same plot as the Ratatouille ride in Disneyland Paris. I do like the idea of something that is 'magical' in nature like this though, rather than just aggressive spells being shot off between opponents.

Now this might not mean much to those who didn't read the books, but a dark ride beginning in the house elves kitchen below the great dining hall as they all work preparing a banquet and then ending in the hall with all the food appearing etc. could be visually enchanting.

There are actually a lot of vignettes and details never featured in the movies that Universal could certainly mine from the novels. For instance, if we ever got a Ministry of Magic expansion, just think of what a Department of Mysteries ride could look like. Done right, and with all the added detail from the ORDER OF THE PHOENIX novel, it could be something along the lines of Mystic Manor (in terms of being a dazzling marriage of technology, dark ride aesthetics, and weird/wild things happening around you).

Reactions: Mad Dog

Define Irony: Uni makes a great hall restaurant dark ride, but not a great hall restaurant.

If a mummy type ride doesn't accommodate most ages then that's a problem.

Much more important and better things that universal can do with the space that whatever that is would take up.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can come to a reasonable compromise here. As much as a no height restriction ride would be great for families with little-r ones. A lower height requirement than the current 54" will be an improvement for families.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Status
Not open for further replies.