Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 101 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The two projects are currently at least a year apart (WDW is aiming for Star Wars to open in the summer period of 2019).

Nintendo isn't the counter programming to Star Wars, it's the solution to Fantasyland and animated branding. It is Universal finally trying to plug a demo gap (a family brand) they have had middling success with.

Yes millennials and the tail end of Gen X love Nintendo, but they love a lot of Universal properties. This is a big move for them to really give something of value to a family with a dad, a tween and a four year old to enjoy something all together.

Which is honestly a bigger move than countering Star Wars, it's to counter the one clear demo lead Disney has.
Yea. It kind of reminds me of Jay Stein's original thoughts with opening the second park, Cartoon World (that morphed into IOA when they couldn't come to terms with Warner). He wanted a park to compete with MK, most specifically Fantasy Land, to get that family demographic. I kind of agree with you that it's probably one of the major reasons. :thumbsup:Of course, timing to follow Star Wars Land will also be beneficial for Universal. :)

Reactions: SeventyOne
Here you go! Haha it was fun to do

Sans_sss1.jpg
Haha, that's awesome!

Reactions: Mike S
I don't know why we feel the need to constantly talk about "swatters" and "answers" and "responses." Universal's building a lot of stuff. Disney's (finally) building a lot of stuff. I don't feel the need to choose a side, or dissect which side is poised to stomp the other into the ground, I'm just looking forward to (hopefully) good rides at both resorts.

I don't know why we feel the need to constantly talk about "swatters" and "answers" and "responses." Universal's building a lot of stuff. Disney's (finally) building a lot of stuff. I don't feel the need to choose a side, or dissect which side is poised to stomp the other into the ground, I'm just looking forward to (hopefully) good rides at both resorts.

Best comment ever.

Reactions: Quint and belloq87
Well, considering how they both pushed to open their new attractions on the same weekend (VB/Pandora) and are now both seemingly mired in lands that are not "show ready" I think its fair to say they are indeed trying to outdo each other. Which is not a bad thing, unless it leads to situations like we have now where the GP is getting less than favorable experiences at either venue.

Let's stop pretending like Gatorland isn't the true king of Orlando

Best comment ever.

I doubt that, but I'll take it!

Well, considering how they both pushed to open their new attractions on the same weekend (VB/Pandora) and are now both seemingly mired in lands that are not "show ready" I think its fair to say they are indeed trying to outdo each other. Which is not a bad thing, unless it leads to situations like we have now where the GP is getting less than favorable experiences at either venue.

Sure, I'm not trying to make excuses or ignore flaws and problems. I just think we sometimes get too carried away by our "side" or our "team" at the expense of recognizing there are things worthwhile that the other side and team has to offer! And that goes well beyond the world of theme park fandom, too.

Each resort is absolutely trying to outdo the other, but I don't care at all which of them wins that battle on a company or monetary level. We're the winners, because we're going to have new, world-class attractions coming our way.

Let's stop pretending like Gatorland isn't the true king of Orlando

I thought that was so obvious it went without saying.

At the end of the day, they are competing businesses. But you're right, nobody needs to pick a side. Sure we can have a preference but in this new era we're in, even being second place is still an awesome place to be.

The two projects are currently at least a year apart (WDW is aiming for Star Wars to open in the summer period of 2019).

Nintendo isn't the counter programming to Star Wars, it's the solution to Fantasyland and animated branding. It is Universal finally trying to plug a demo gap (a family brand) they have had middling success with.

Yes millennials and the tail end of Gen X love Nintendo, but they love a lot of Universal properties. This is a big move for them to really give something of value to a family with a dad, a tween and a four year old to enjoy something all together.

Which is honestly a bigger move than countering Star Wars, it's to counter the one clear demo lead Disney has.

Yeah, Nintendo and DreamWorks are obvious attempts at going after their biggest market. Which is funny because it seems like Disney is doing the opposite: going after Universal's market. Star Wars feels like it'd fit better at Universal than Disney.

Both resorts are going to be a lot more balanced in a few years.

To get this back on target, I'm curious to see what people think what the age demographic is for Potter?

I think it's one of the few IPs that can target both old and young.

Reactions: SeventyOne

In all fairness, I was merely making a joke because so many called Star Wars a "potter swatter". I am the same. I want good rides at both resorts. I will be quite happy to ride the new rides, although the SWL may be a while after it opens due to crowd levels. I don't fancy the idea of being shoulder to shoulder with people, all trying to move via herd mentality.

To get this back on target, I'm curious to see what people think what the age demographic is for Potter?

But I guess that is the thing. You see, in my mind, Star Wars and Nintendo are both at least equal to Potter in reaching across generations, Potter has the British pride, Star Wars is space and fantasy, and then there is Nintendo...fantasy come to life, live in that world for a spell.

Good times ahead indeed!

I think Jo told a tale for all ages, it has appeal for tweens and I enjoy it as a senior. I have always said it is not great literature but she told one heck of a story.

I missed Star Wars, too old, too high I don't know what but it never hit home with me. Potter did.

I think Jo told a tale for all ages, it has appeal for tweens and I enjoy it as a senior. I have always said it is not great literature but she told one heck of a story.

I missed Star Wars, too old, too high I don't know what but it never hit home with me. Potter did.
You're a senior?!?! :eek:

It is a very multi generational IP, but despite is starting as such, I'd say the property matured with its reader demographics (the primary makeup of which were born between ~86-98). The movies caught some of the millennial attention into that group. Obviously, there were many mature readers who delved in.

It is however not really a property with mass appeal to the <7 crowd, certainly the <5. That's a demo Universal struggles with. Nintendo is after all the replacement for Kid Zone. Illumination actually has quite a few now under their umbrella, but they've been under utilized in the parks.

I'm not saying little kids don't appreciate it, but I'm just saying it's no Lightening McQueen or Elsa for that demo. Minions (and now Nintendo) are their strongest for that category. The other thing being Universal needs to be more than a one trick pony, they need something new with the branding strength of Potter.

I don't know if maybe it's different here in California as I only visit Orlando a few times a year. But I know several friends with either younger siblings or children of their own that fit the <7/<5 demographic for Potter. I constantly see little ones getting hyped over the wand stations and wearing robes and drinking Butterbeer. And almost every time I saw a Potter movie in a theater there were enough excited young ones in those midnight lines to build a small Dumbledore's Army. Heck, I was given Sorcerer's Stone when I was 4 and it was read to me before bed each night until I started sneaking it and reading it on my own because I didn't want to wait. Because the millenial[ugh] generation is starting to breed, I feel like we're passing it down in one way or another and it's opening up the age demographic.

Status
Not open for further replies.