First Trip Planning | Inside Universal Forums

First Trip Planning

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 5, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Hi all, first time posting here and would love some advice/help from experienced Universal people. We (me, DW, DD12 and DS10) have been to Disney twice and love it. Hoping to go again this Christmas/New Year and the idea is to take the first week (Dec 20th to 27th) in Universal, staying at Hard Rock Hotel. Although I expect (and hope)that the express pass will allows us to ride a fair amount even at that busy time, I have some concerns over DW and DS. They are not real ride people. In Disney Big Thunder Mountain, Star Tours, Test Track and Soarin would be their limit. Won't even try Rock N Roller or Space Mountain. Tried Expedition Everest once but the comment from both was 'never again'. But they do love the shows, parades, fireworks and general vibe of Disney. How well would they fare for a whole week in Universal? Is there enough to keep them occupied. I can see rides like Despicble me, Simpsons, Transformers being possible hits. DS doesn't mind speed at all, it's inversions and backwards and dark 'scary' rides that are the problem. Any thoughts? is a week too much?

Thanks in advance

I would love a week on-site .Don't push ,use the early entry,and express ,They should love Dr suess area ,Kidzone,When it get busy (and it will get busy) Go relax in the Pools (you can use all 4 ) Do not miss Horror make up(funny not scary) ,Sinbad,Bettlejuice shows.Also Kids will get a kick out of Interactive Mystic Fountain.Not to mention all the Harry Potter stuff.

The Macy's Parade will be running at that time as well, and they should really enjoy that. In fact you can sign up to be balloon handlers and as a group help take one of the balloons through the streets of Universal. It is a REALLY memorable experience.

Also, if they don't want to ride Forbidden Journey, there is the castle tour available to experience the sights of the castle aside form the ride. They should enjoy Hogwarts Express as well.

I would love a week on-site .Don't push ,use the early entry,and express ,They should love Dr suess area ,Kidzone,When it get busy (and it will get busy) Go relax in the Pools (you can use all 4 ) Do not miss Horror make up(funny not scary) ,Sinbad,Bettlejuice shows.Also Kids will get a kick out of Interactive Mystic Fountain.Not to mention all the Harry Potter stuff.
Is there a danger in Universal of park closures at Christmas time due to capacity, I know it can, and does happen in Disney, but as Hotel Guests you are last to be 'locked out'

The Macy's Parade will be running at that time as well, and they should really enjoy that. In fact you can sign up to be balloon handlers and as a group help take one of the balloons through the streets of Universal. It is a REALLY memorable experience.

Also, if they don't want to ride Forbidden Journey, there is the castle tour available to experience the sights of the castle aside form the ride. They should enjoy Hogwarts Express as well.
So we could all do the walk through the castle and then just DD and I do the ride?
As to the parade, are kids allowed to be balloon handlers? or adults only?

With the castle queue, there is a "bail out" just before the boarding area so you can all wait on line together or you can just do the castle tour where you go through a separate line parallel to the queue so you can see it at your own pace. It's a great way to get pictures and really be able to appreciate the details.

For the balloon handling, I don't remember the age limits. When it comes time for the parade again there should be info on the website. To sign up, about two hours before the parade they have teams of people in jumpsuits who recruit guests (usually over by Spongebob Storepants). You sign up, get a jumpsuit, get trained, and then take your balloon down the street.

There usually are just a few days the week between Christmas and New Year that the Orlando parks hit capacity. Onsite hotel guests always get the priority entrance and are generally the exception to the rule for a blockout.

I would also recommend if you have a day free to check out SeaWorld's Christmas Celebration. It is the BEST Christmas event in all of the Orlando parks, and free with SeaWorld admission. It really captures the spirit of Christmas and has magical moments even Disney can't make.

Last edited:
I would also recommend if you have a day free to check out SeaWorld's Christmas Celebration. It is the BEST Christmas event in all of the Orlando parks, and free with SeaWorld admission. It really captures the spirit of Christmas and has magical moments even Disney can't make.

I agree so much with this. Since you will be closer to Sea World at Uni. Also, they sometimes run a second day free special and if that is the case I would do that because around Christmas time two days is well worth it at Sea World. That way the younger less thrill seeking ones will have more to do. Also, they have two really good thrill coasters for the other two and their lines are not as long as in Uni.