Fantastic Beasts: Secrets Of Dumbledore | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantastic Beasts: Secrets Of Dumbledore

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
People liked the first film to....and yeah people online will say they liked the first film but they liked it 1/10 the real love of the Harry Potter Films/books.

I'm sure this film will be better then the last one because that one was a hot mess and can't believe they released it but doubt its really good....to me good now of days can mean its good but then you never think of it again because it was just good but safe and did nothing interesting

People liked the first film to....and yeah people online will say they liked the first film but they liked it 1/10 the real love of the Harry Potter Films/books.

I'm sure this film will be better then the last one because that one was a hot mess and can't believe they released it but doubt its really good....to me good now of days can mean its good but then you never think of it again because it was just good but safe and did nothing interesting
I mean the original Harry Potter series is an extremely high bar. If that's your expectation, you'll obviously be disappointed. I really liked the first one because really what I want from more Harry Potter movies are stories completely detached from the original series. I thought it was a pretty solid movie

Reactions: SeventyOne
I mean the original Harry Potter series is an extremely high bar. If that's your expectation, you'll obviously be disappointed. I really liked the first one because really what I want from more Harry Potter movies are stories completely detached from the original series. I thought it was a pretty solid movie
Then why the hell are we making these? (money) but JK has enough of that. I dont know why people just sign off when they are rich.

Could these be at the level of Potter? Yes, but we dont even have book version's of the film. 9/10 Movies have book forms of them but they can't even do that they literally just put the screen play out.

My point is these films are fine but why make fine when you are Harry Potter. We didn't let Disney make their crappy theme park version and new game looks like it has lots of love and care put into it. So why not these films? Why should they just be made and put a pass of its for money?

Then why the hell are we making these? (money) but JK has enough of that. I dont know why people just sign off when they are rich.

Could these be at the level of Potter? Yes, but we dont even have book version's of the film. 9/10 Movies have book forms of them but they can't even do that they literally just put the screen play out.

My point is these films are fine but why make fine when you are Harry Potter. We didn't let Disney make their crappy theme park version and new game looks like it has lots of love and care put into it. So why not these films? Why should they just be made and put a pass of its for money?
You do realize it's WB who really wants to continue with Potter in anyway possible just as much if not more than JK, right?

You do realize it's WB who really wants to continue with Potter in anyway possible just as much if not more than JK, right?
Two things

1) JK should still own the IP so they could not have made these without her
2) Don't movie companies get these quick buck films will make them money but if they aren't thought out films with themes, character arcs and the story kinda written before hand then these films will only make money now and you will only get a few bucks from them in 20 years...unlike Harry Potter which is still huge

My main point about these films are they are making mistakes we have seen 1,000 times and we have proof outside these films that we can still get good Potter content. I also don't get why people defend meh films. Like if you like them fine but the poster above me even said if you want these to be good as the first films they just wont be....and its like then why the hell are people in anyway defending these movies?

My main point about these films are they are making mistakes we have seen 1,000 times and we have proof outside these films that we can still get good Potter content. I also don't get why people defend meh films. Like if you like them fine but the poster above me even said if you want these to be good as the first films they just wont be....and its like then why the hell are people in anyway defending these movies?
I'm not exactly defending this series, scroll up a bit and you'll see me saying that I actively avoided the second one despite being a major time Potter nerd. I thought it was a fun film, I enjoyed it, thought it more or less accomplished what it was trying to do. It's not like they are passing this off as a remake of the original Harry Potter series though, it's new stories entirely. Something that I think a lot of fans want to see done well. But I think expecting it to be as good as a book series that is considered to be a modern classic is a bit unrealistic. The first movie wasn't bad, I thought it was pretty good, which is good enough for me.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nick
Ever thought about it that some people actually like to work?
When I wasn't able to work anymore I went in mourning, I loved my work.
I'm not against people needing jobs but JK and the people behind these films are not doing this series right

I have to ask again this is what Potter Fans want? I sure the hell don't

I want something set in the Wizard world but isn't doing the star wars prequel thing of ruining all the mystery of the past and not even doing a good job of it.

My wife still hasn’t learned that she isn‘t supposed to like the second movie, and I like it well enough even though I know I‘m not supposed to.

• Haha
Reactions: youhow2 and tielo
My wife still hasn’t learned that she isn‘t supposed to like the second movie, and I like it well enough even though I know I‘m not supposed to.
There's really no such thing as a movie you aren't supposed to like. Sure critic and audience score were low, but entertainment in all forms is really about individual taste and personal opinions. Everyone has those guilty pleasure movies.

In many ways, the Venom films classify as guilty pleasure films for many and for me, I probably have a lot of theese types as I tend to like the Rom/Com genre or just comedy in general as well as horror, and there's a lot of rotten tomatoes that fall into those category, tbh. Jenifer's Body for example is something I can point to and say, it wasn't received well at the time, but I don't care, I like it.

Reactions: Nico
Welp, opening night is here, and overall consensus is that the film is better than the last, but still not good. Analysts are projecting that this will only get a $40 million domestic opening.

It's really too bad that this franchise will seemingly never take off. I'd so much rather get new rides based on these films than more Potter.

I know Emma Watson was in the BatB remake and Little Women and Daniele Radcliffe has been making moves in film and TV more lately (as opposed to just on broadway), but like, there has to be a number that would interest those two in coming back to do a film adaption of Cursed Child... right?

Bring on a good writer to adapt the good parts of it and change some of the stuff that didn't work so well. Steve Kloves wrote the screenplay for 7 of the 8 Potter movies and would be ideal to bring back since he's worked on Potter for a decade pretty much.

Reactions: HalfGlass
I know Emma Watson was in the BatB remake and Little Women and Daniele Radcliffe has been making moves in film and TV more lately (as opposed to just on broadway), but like, there has to be a number that would interest those two in coming back to do a film adaption of Cursed Child... right?

Bring on a good writer to adapt the good parts of it and change some of the stuff that didn't work so well. Steve Kloves wrote the screenplay for 7 of the 8 Potter movies and would be ideal to bring back since he's worked on Potter for a decade pretty much.
I was thinking the same thing. The more time goes on the more I think it’s likely, just like other aging stars have returned to franchises decades later. But yeah…it’s not like they’re so unbelievably busy and successful outside of these films that they say no.

Bring on the Cursed Child - hell make it a two parter - but then wrap up the Wizarding World. The more time goes on, the more I realize I’m less interested in the universe JK built and much more invested in the original characters. Newt may be one of the worst protagonists in a major film franchise in recent memory.

I was thinking the same thing. The more time goes on the more I think it’s likely, just like other aging stars have returned to franchises decades later. But yeah…it’s not like they’re so unbelievably busy and successful outside of these films that they say no.

Bring on the Cursed Child - hell make it a two parter - but then wrap up the Wizarding World. The more time goes on, the more I realize I’m less interested in the universe JK built and much more invested in the original characters. Newt may be one of the worst protagonists in a major film franchise in recent memory.
Newt was good in the first movie, the problem is they moved the focus almost completely away from him.

Steve Kloves wrote the screenplay for 7 of the 8 Potter movies and would be ideal to bring back since he's worked on Potter for a decade pretty much.

Yeah, except they tried that with Secrets of Dumbledore (Kloves is co-writer with Rowling) and that apparently still didn't turn out so well.

Newt was good in the first movie, the problem is they moved the focus almost completely away from him.
Ehh I disagree. I find him to be annoying and boring. I get that they tried to steer away from the typical confident hero type, but his character just doesn’t work for me.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Yeah, except they tried that with Secrets of Dumbledore (Kloves is co-writer with Rowling) and that apparently still didn't turn out so well.
So I guess one of the first moves i'd make with Potter movies going forward is taking JK off of writing completely. She's gone off the deep end and tbh, I wish she would've wrote Fantastic Beasts as a prequel book series and it then could've just been adapted instead of making crap up on the fly like they did.

I've not seen it yet and most likely won't until streaming, but I do think there is alot of meat left on the Wizarding World bone (from a story opportunity standpoint, minus JKR), just not in film format.

I would love to see a Hogwarts series on HBO Max, different time, current, after the books, maybe a Potter is in it, maybe not, definitley a Weasley though!

It also wouldn't have to be some big world destroying cataclysmic mystery, smaller well written stories, really highlighting "the magic" that has been missing form FB. Could be a larger story, one season per school year or could be something more like Black Mirror.

I think by far my favorite parts from the first 2 are the moments in Newts suitcase, those felt right on the money imo.

If Warner would do a Disney they can milk this cow forever. Take a minor thing from the movies and books and make it a stand alone tv series or movie.
- Dobby's sock adventures.
- Basilisk, it's life in sewerage.
- Moaning Myrtle toilet stories.
- A life in Architecture: The Burrow and other unsafe buildings.
- Whomping Willow's brother, Lil Stick.
- The secret life of chocolate frogs.
- Honeydukes: are you being served?

Last edited: