Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point I have to think they'll have no choice but to close the beaches. With theme parks closed, the only other thing to do is go to the beach. If you want people to truly stay home and take it seriously (especially in coastal areas with more elderly people), you need to take that privilege away from them for a period of time.

EDIT: This might be doom and gloom of me, but I think we need to consider the possibility that the way we experience theme parks currently might go away forever. They will reopen and everything will be fine, but idk . . . it will be hard to get things back on track after this drastic of a pivot.

i dont think they will fully close but i could see a lot of different stores and some rides being closed permanently. queues are a huge problem. i have no idea how they fix that.

I actually don't think it's totally fair to blame the people on the beach. There's a lot of just general distrust in government anyway and then to hear mixed messages over what the procedures are (and it's been a few weeks of this) can be confusing to people to the point where they stop listening.

I think leaving the beaches open only further hurts because with very little else to do in Florida right now, school out and both the CDC and the Federal government recomending against gathering of anymore than 50 people (or 10 in Trump's recommendation), it's more mixed messaging on why the beaches are left open when everything else is closed. People may think they're safe because of that, which is the danger of leaving them open.

I actually don't think it's totally fair to blame the people on the beach. There's a lot of just general distrust in government anyway and then to hear mixed messages over what the procedures are (and it's been a few weeks of this) can be confusing to people to the point where they stop listening.

I think leaving the beaches open only further hurts because with very little else to do in Florida right now, school out and both the CDC and the Federal government recomending against gathering of anymore than 50 people (or 10 in Trump's recommendation), it's more mixed messaging on why the beaches are left open when everything else is closed. People may think they're safe because of that, which is the danger of leaving them open.
Mall by my house looks packed this week. Kids out of school and nothing for families to do, wander the mall.

As far as I am aware, Universal is not shutting down construction, at least for the current in park projects. Obviously things can change, though

Reactions: RFRees
Mall by my house looks packed this week. Kids out of school and nothing for families to do, wander the mall.
It's not that way for Oviedo Mall. They've cut hours by about 25% since it's so slow. I'm hearing the cafeteria is closing soon if it hasn't already. My girlfriend manages a store there and one of the harder things we've had to do so far is figure out how to reduce the hourly workers hours in a fair way (it's hard because people need the money).

Also heard about a restaurant over at Disney Springs closing and how the manager had a tough time (I believe they said "about to cry") telling the employees they weren't getting paid. Sounded like the manager fought with the owner to try to make that happen but lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
It's not that way for Oviedo Mall. They've cut hours by about 25% since it's so slow. I'm hearing the cafeteria is closing soon if it hasn't already. My girlfriend manages a store there and one of the harder things we've had to do so far is figure out how to reduce the hourly workers hours in a fair way (it's hard because people need the money).

Also heard about a restaurant over at Disney Springs closing and how the manager had a tough time (I believe they said "about to cry") telling the employees they weren't getting paid. Sounded like the manager fought with the owner to try to make that happen but lost.
My mall has reduced hours too, and several stores are closed, but man if it wasn’t packed like a holiday the other day.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Saw this on Twitter. Reads to me like these parks definitely know they will not be opening April 1

They've already started taking down Mardi Gras stuff when you look at bio's aerials (Mardi Gras scheduled to go until April 2nd), so beyond everything else going on in the world, that's a pretty easy giveaway right there.

They've already started taking down Mardi Gras stuff when you look at bio's aerials (Mardi Gras scheduled to go until April 2nd), so beyond everything else going on in the world, that's a pretty easy giveaway right there.

Even if they do open on April 1st, they'd only have 2 days left of Madri Gras and if they have the staff to take it down at a more leisurely pace and in the safety of the day time, it make sense to take it down now.

Even if they do open on April 1st, they'd only have 2 days left of Madri Gras and if they have the staff to take it down at a more leisurely pace and in the safety of the day time, it make sense to take it down now.
I mean yeah, they could just cancel those days of the event. But these parks will be lucky to open by June, never mind April.

Hasn't Universal said Mardi Gras is done now that the remaining concerts aren't being rescheduled?

Reactions: Alicia
Hasn't Universal said Mardi Gras is done now that the remaining concerts aren't being rescheduled?
Yea they stated when they announced the closures through the end of the month that Mardi Gras was done.

Will Mardi Gras return when the park reopens in April?
Due to the parks’ temporary closure, Universal Orlando’s Mardi Gras celebration will now conclude Sunday, March 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.